#1 Posted by pooty (11785 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51872915#.UZI9gMqC9e4

The New Jersey father of a 4-year-old boy who accidentally shot and killed his 6-year-old neighbor has been arrested, accused of having multiple unsecured weapons accessible to children, officials said.

The Atlantic County prosecutor's office announced Monday that Anthony Senatore, 33, has been charged with six counts of child endangerment and a disorderly person's offense for enabling access by minors to a loaded firearm.

Senatore's son and 6-year-old Brandon Holt were playing in their neighborhood April 8 when the 4-year-old got a loaded .22-caliber rifle from his family's home and shot Brandon in the head, authorities said. The boys were about 15 yards apart.

Brandon died at a hospital a day later.

Police were seen carrying multiple firearms out of the Senatores' home after the shooting. Anthony Senatore was known to be an avid hunter, and his three children have names associated with hunting terms, according to law enforcement sources and neighbors.

Brandon's grandmother told NBC 4 New York at the time she was angry the family failed to take enough caution in locking up their guns.

"I can't believe that they found 11 guns in that house," said Donna Elefante. "I mean, with three kids? Give me a break.

How does this little boy go back to school now? As a parent, How do you respond when the 4yr old ask "Why did Daddy leave"? At what age do you tell the 4yr old what happened? Should the father be charged with some type of homicide?

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeezus.........I don't even.

Dear Lord.

#3 Posted by Samimista (21062 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even reading the rest of that post. Too depressing.

#4 Posted by frogdog (3573 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened to giving kids toys?

#5 Edited by pooty (11785 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

What happened to giving kids toys?

END THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Edited by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

"Oh snap! Your bud just got ate!"

#7 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

The four year old didn't kill anyone, the father did. Under the law he was to have those weapons secure and they weren't. The father (and mother -- why hasn't she been mentioned?) should be charged with negligible homicide. This death is entirely on his (her) hands.

Tragic all around.

#8 Posted by Lux_Invictus (154 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't the four-year old's fault. The father should have kept his guns locked up. I don't own a rifle, but if I did it would not be accessible to a kid that young. I'm not sure about how I feel with the father being charged with homicide, but he is 100% responsible.

#9 Edited by consolemaster001 (6132 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

The four year old didn't kill anyone, the father did. Under the law he was to have those weapons secure and they weren't. The father (and mother -- why hasn't she been mentioned?) should be charged with negligible homicide. This death is entirely on his (her) hands.

Tragic all around.

This x100

I hope he gets life inprisionment or capital punishment.

#10 Edited by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

There was actually another story similar to this about a week where a five year old boy was given a small but real .22 caliber rifle for his birthday and he accidentally shot his two or three year old sister dead. Those parents don't even acknowledge that what they did was wrong, in terms of them giving their five year old son a freaking real functioning rifle. The rifle was designed by a company with a website that actually makes guns just for children. Like kids that are ten and under. They do for older children but it's just a dumb dumb dumb thing to give a little kid a freaking real gun.

#11 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

damn the kid's a good shot. lots of small children shooting people recently. sh*t is f**ked up. i need to get bulletproof clothing and a helmet. wear it everywhere. too many damn firearms.

#12 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: He won't. It is criminal negligence and it resulted in the death of a child. It would at most be classified as manslaughter, which usually doesn't result in a life term.

#13 Posted by nerdork (4039 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Tragic all around.

This x100

For Captial Punishment to be put into effect; it would have had to have been a premediated murder, and physically comitted, or arranged, by the father with irrefutable evidence to prove so. Since this is absolutely not the case, Negligent Homicide is the only course of action. Also, since mens rea will show the father had no intention to commit such an atrocity (regardless of his absolute irresposniblity and negligence towards safety), he will most likely get convicted of Involuntary Manslaughter. The father is looking at a 10-15 year sentence (with all of the charges added on), roughly. And that wont consider good behavior, which often shaves off a few years (sometimes it can even cut a sentence by a 1/3).

#14 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@consolemaster001 said:

@lykopis said:

Tragic all around.

This x100

For Captial Punishment to be put into effect; it would have had to have been a premediated murder, and physically comitted, or arranged, by the father with irrefutable evidence to prove so. Since this is absolutely not the case, Negligent Homicide is the only course of action. Also, since mens rea will show the father had no intention to commit such an atrocity (regardless of his absolute irresposniblity and negligence towards safety), he will most likely get convicted of Involuntary Manslaughter. The father is looking at a 10-15 year sentence (with all of the charges added on), roughly. And that wont consider good behavior, which often shaves off a few years (sometimes it can even cut a sentence by a 1/3).

This is absolutely correct.

#15 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

There was actually another story similar to this about a week where a five year old boy was given a small but real .22 caliber rifle for his birthday and he accidentally shot his two or three year old sister dead. Those parents don't even acknowledge that what they did was wrong, in terms of them giving their five year old son a freaking real functioning rifle. The rifle was designed by a company with a website that actually makes guns just for children. Like kids that are ten and under. They do for older children but it's just a dumb dumb dumb thing to give a little kid a freaking real gun.

Words fail here. :/

#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

oh dear god, what the hell?

#17 Posted by pooty (11785 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: @lux_invictus: @lykopis: I 10000000% agree that it was the father who is absolutely responsible. But what do you tell the child? Do you tell him his dad shot the kid? As he gets older he is going to hear about if from school kids, media outlets or he may just Google his dad's name and see the story. At some point the kid is going to know what happened. How do you prepare him for that? What age do you tell him the truth? What if you plan on telling him at 8 yrs old but someone tells him when he is 6?

#18 Posted by pooty (11785 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

I doubt this is what America's Founding Fathers had in mind.

#19 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty:

He's old enough now to pretty much know what's happened. There is no hiding the truth from him (I would never suggest it) and I think this poor child has a very difficult road ahead of him if he doesn't have the support he needs in understanding he is not to blame for what happened. He needs to be given attention immediately by a therapist to combat his feelings of guilt -- he will blame himself not just for the death of his friend, but also the removal of his father from the family and the resulting difficulties they will face because of it.

Poor baby. It's just horrid. This needs to be acknowledged and never, ever hidden away like some family skeleton. This little boy needs help now and hopefully not too far into the future. He is a victim.

#20 Posted by Lux_Invictus (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: Well i'm pretty sure he's old enough to know what happen and him and his family will probably be in and out of court for the next few years at least. He will know the truth, there is no hiding that but it's important for the boy to know that it wasn't his fault. If I were his father I would let him know that at the very least.

#21 Posted by pooty (11785 posts) - - Show Bio

@lux_invictus: @lykopis:both of your post ring true. I really hope the father...... especially the father needs to take responsibility and let the child know it was the father's fault. If the father says "i did nothing wrong" that could destroy that child.

#22 Edited by consolemaster001 (6132 posts) - - Show Bio

sooo where's the mother in all of this ? Is he divorced ?

#23 Edited by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

Why was the gun also loaded?

#24 Posted by Aiden Cross (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

Once the child is old enough that he starts asking questions his father/mother should sit down with him (in jail or wherever). And explain to him that nothing was the childs fault but it was all the fathers fault. Explain exactly what he did wrong, how much regret he has, how sorry he is.

#25 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18744 posts) - - Show Bio

Another tragedy wow just wow.

As others have said when the child is old enough to start asking questions about it is the right time to tell him.That might be now obviously it depends on each individual child.But keeping this from him is wrong. And marketing actual rifles to children there is just something profoundly wrong with that America does have a gun problem when that is going on.Owning guns is one thing but that is just another thing entirely.

#26 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23947 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

Tragic all around.

Negligent doesn't even begin to describe them. Who the hell keeps guns laying around a 4-year old loaded?!?!

@vortex13 said:

Wow... Just wow...

#27 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww Man...That's just sooo... just *sigh*

#28 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@lux_invictus: @lykopis:both of your post ring true. I really hope the father...... especially the father needs to take responsibility and let the child know it was the father's fault. If the father says "i did nothing wrong" that could destroy that child.

Once the child is old enough that he starts asking questions his father/mother should sit down with him (in jail or wherever). And explain to him that nothing was the childs fault but it was all the fathers fault. Explain exactly what he did wrong, how much regret he has, how sorry he is.

Oh yes, this is bang on true. It really needs to be the parent who tells this poor kid it was their fault and not his. So, so important.

#29 Posted by Aiden Cross (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: the best thing would be if the 'victim's' parents would sit down with the child and ensure him it was not his fault. But those parents would need to be very strong people to be able to do that though. But perhaps it would give them some closure as well. Everyone is different in that aspect.

#30 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20446 posts) - - Show Bio

AT LEAST UNLOAD THE GUN.

#32 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything about that makes me sad. I have no idea how you would break that to a kid.