#1 Posted by Jezer (3151 posts) - - Show Bio

I've recently started a summer program at a university, that has class from 9-12. Then a break. Then 1-5. It started last Friday.

Even with first class jitters, and being genuinely interested in the material, boredom set in. And that desperate fight to stay awake started at 1:30. Luckily, we got out at 2:30 the first day.

Either way, what are some of your methods for staying awake in class? I brought an large pack of starburst, but I feel like too much would lead to a sugar crash. And after sucking/chewing it, when it was totally dissolved, I'd have roughly 30 seconds before I started nodding off again. (So I'd had to keep pill popping it continuously)

I drunk water, and it didn't do a damn thing. Checking for my pulse, which is challenging for me, earned a yawn.

I would pinch myself and scratch myself as hard as I could without drawing blood, but my body would just get used to it and be like "That's all you got? Lmao you're boring me" Then nod off.

Last, I would start holding my breath as long as I could....Even, technically, killing myself didn't raise any arousal alarms in my body. In fact, I think when I tried to hold my breath, my body would interrupt and be like "Haha too bad you're shutting down. Which means you nod your head, start closing your eyes, and then lose control of holding your breath and inevitably start breathing. Nice try though" In the end, what woke me up was watching another student, this girl fall asleep in the most hilariously obvious positions. I'm talking head back and body flopped out. Then quickly avoiding my gaze whenever she awoke.

...Anyways. So what are your methods, tips, and techniques? I'm not a fan of doodling because I can never decide on the right thing to draw.

I remember googling this in the past and Google always fails me.

How do you stay awake in class?! Any specific food or candy or sitting position or stretch or mental excercise?

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12508 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer: Bite the inside of your cheek HARD. Chew gum. Get as uncomfortable as possible (I find actually maintaining proper posture will usually do the trick). Drink something disgusting (there's this AWFUL Canadian spring water I find works pretty well). If you can leave, get up and quickly walk to either the bathroom or water fountain or something and back. Eat a protein bar, or some kind of real food (not candy).

Though this will only be a temporary solution, you really just need to rest up.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Jezer (3151 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Jezer: Bite the inside of your cheek HARD. Chew gum. Get as uncomfortable as possible (I find actually maintaining proper posture will usually do the trick). Drink something disgusting (there's this AWFUL Canadian spring water I find works pretty well). If you can leave, get up and quickly walk to either the bathroom or water fountain or something and back. Eat a protein bar, or some kind of real food (not candy).

Though this will only be a temporary solution, you really just need to rest up.

Okay thanks. I usually don't chew gum, but I guess I could try it. And yeah, I tried the proper posture one. And - drink something disgusting? That's genius!

Walking/going to the bathroom is probably a good method, but I don't like leaving class in the middle of a lecture or missing out on any information.

I feel like real food would be conspicuous. Any suggestions for great snacks to eat for staying awake in class?

#4 Posted by MrDirector786 (43636 posts) - - Show Bio

I make sure my feet aren't resting on anything, so that as time passes, my legs start hurting and it keeps me awake.... until my legs hurt too much for me to keep them up anymore so I place my feet back on the ground.

#5 Posted by Icarusflies (12508 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer: Glad to help. :)

I find protein bars usually work pretty well...just make sure the wrapper isn't too crinkly. If you bring a bag of cheese and crackers or a sliced apple or something that's usually not very conspicuous.

Guess it's pretty obvious I have sleep issues, huh? :P

Moderator
#6 Posted by Joesoef95 (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Try licking the inner roof of your mouth (Sorry bad English, don't know a better word for it)

#7 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Scope out a cute girl in the class and stare at her...Just kidding

Just chew gum and take advantage of smoke breaks.

#8 Posted by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually believe water makes you more sleepy from what I've been told, not sure how or why but I think it has something to do with flushing out your body or something. Either way I'd suggest not drinking it as it might make it harder to stay awake.
 
Have you tried the buddy system? I have this problem in school in such subjects as English where I would fall asleep from boredom, but I've found having a friend who actually stays awake and asking them to elbow you or something to wake you up if you begin to or have already fallen asleep. But then again, I made a D in English this past year so maybe my methods don't work so well. xD 
 
@Jezer said:

Walking/going to the bathroom is probably a good method, but I don't like leaving class in the middle of a lecture or missing out on any information.

Are you allowed to bring a recorder to class? Like a small audio recorder, if you're afraid of leaving the class room and missing something like a lecture you could just have a recorder set and leave it in the room while you step out for a moment, that way whatever you missed you could go back and listen to later.
#9 Posted by FinnVarra (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to state the obvious here, but have you tried going to bed earlier. More sleep at night may eliminate your problem.

Otherwise you could try not going to the bathroom. Drink enough so you'll need to go to the bathroom, but not enough that you'll wet yourself. Then when you feel you have to go to the bathroom, just don't. You can't fall asleep if you have to take a leek....at least I can't.

#10 Posted by deadpool6_6_6 (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

I always drank a bunch of mountaindew or coffee to stay awake. worked for me.

#11 Posted by _Cain_ (23670 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool6_6_6 said:

I always drank a bunch of mountaindew or coffee to stay awake. worked for me.

I Have to pound on mountain dew and coke, But I Crash by around 12:00 PM Lol

#12 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I doodle in the margin of my notebook. I can't draw worth a sh!t, but it is mindless enough for me to listen to the lecture and keeps me occupied through the torment of higher education.

Otherwise I may pass out which is a big no no in college

#13 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Get up, go to the bathroom and splash some water in your face. The walking and water is refreshing and should keep you awake for a while. Or just stare outside, or look at a classmate and analyze every little thing they do.

That helps keep me awake anyway.

#14 Posted by Saren (26016 posts) - - Show Bio

I stab myself in the thigh through the jeans with a ballpoint pen.

Moderator
#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (15079 posts) - - Show Bio

I speak with one of my classmates or listen to music.

#16 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
I don't attend to it. It works every time.
Moderator
#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

>__>

#18 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Get out of here before I slap you, Grayson.
Moderator
#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Awh, having delusions that you're Slade now I see.

#20 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Nothing in my post references 'Stroke. I was actually paying you a compliment by calling you Grayson, but it's comforting to see the first name that sprung to your mind when it comes to spanking your beloved was Slade.
Moderator
#21 Posted by PRIMAV3RA (23049 posts) - - Show Bio

Caffeine mints are a lifesaver!

Sitting up ram rod straight.

Eating something spicy or extremely sour

#22 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't come at me with none of your shenanigans you Slade fanboy. We both know that if I'm Grayson you're inevitably Slade. It less of who I thought about beating Grayson, and more of who you'd be in the DCU.

Besides, I'm re-reading the story arc where he's got a hit on Captain Amy Rohrbach.

#23 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to bed earlier usually works.

#24 Posted by Brutal Wolverine (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Easy. Talk to your professor and ask him/her to flunk you if they catch you snoozing.

#25 Posted by ComicMan24 (147115 posts) - - Show Bio

I never really slept during class (even though there were several times where the boredom in the classroom could send you into a coma, not just make you sleep lol). Anyway I used to draw and by draw I mean smut in the book or the notebook until the pen runs out of ink.

#26 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Swagg

#27 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one of my biggest problem back then.. if the class starts to get boring, i just can help to fall asleep.. what i do is i usually drink water coz is lowers the levels of lactic acid in your system which may be causing you some drowsiness.. i also try to eat some sweets such as candies to add some sugar.. if i really can't help it, i'll go to the washroom and splash some cold water in my face.. :P

#28 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

I spit on my hands and rub my eyes.

#29 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Gauge you're fingers to you're eyes.

#30 Posted by Deranged Midget (17841 posts) - - Show Bio

Drink lots of water, doodle, and get plenty of sleep the night before.

Moderator Online
#31 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

My solution was to sleep every other class. Sleep through the boring ones, be active during the good ones, it all worked out. But I never went to college.

Moderator
#32 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4873 posts) - - Show Bio

I Pay Attention

Doodle

or

Talk to my classmates

Thats JUS me DOE

(+)

#33 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23244 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

My solution was to sleep every other class. Sleep through the boring ones, be active during the good ones, it all worked out. But I never went to college.

Pretty much this.

#34 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

You don't

#35 Posted by Billy Batson (58266 posts) - - Show Bio

play/browse your computer/phone.
BB

#36 Posted by Jezer (3151 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll pick and choose some of the ones I'm gonna try, and then post the list here. And then the whether they worked or not later this week.

@HBKTimHBK said:

Going to bed earlier usually works.

I'm only addressing this because it's been brought up multiple times, but... no it doesn't.

I could understand if this as a suggestion to someone who walks into a class and immediately sleeps. Who's struggling to stay awake from the get-go. However, I've found that no matter how much sleep you get - there's a point in the middle of the day where you get tired. And I wasn't sleepy till like 1:30 after being there since 9.

The prelaw program that I'm doing is from 9-12. 1 hour break. And then 1-5. That's constant learning and information for a couple hours, then a food break, and then a couple more hours. There's only so much information you can take in and process before your mind/brain starts to get fatigued, in my opinion. And, with this program, it's not like you get frequent breaks and such for you to rest.

True, that first day I went to sleep at 2 and woke up at 7:15. But even at my actual school, when I get a full 8 hours of sleep, the same mental struggle happens. (It was always in Latin class, mostly though because it bored me to tears)

#37 Posted by cattlebattle (13168 posts) - - Show Bio

Snort some coke......you'll be wired like a cable box

#38 Edited by Jezer (3151 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrDirector786 said:

I make sure my feet aren't resting on anything, so that as time passes, my legs start hurting and it keeps me awake.... until my legs hurt too much for me to keep them up anymore so

I place my feet back on the ground.

This is actually pretty genius. I tried it out in church today; it worked pretty well.

@Brutal Wolverine said:

Easy. Talk to your professor and ask him/her to flunk you if they catch you snoozing.

While I do get college credit for doing this program, I don't actually care about it. I'm in it to actually learn and enrich myself. So, the threat of failing the class wouldn't actually scare me awake. Even if I did care about my grade, I don't think it would work.

@venomoushatred1001 said:

I spit on my hands and rub my eyes.

That seems nasty to me. Rubbing my eyes doesn't stave off the sleep for long.

@Joesoef95 said:

Try licking the inner roof of your mouth (Sorry bad English, don't know a better word for it)

I have no clue why this works...but it does! Seriously, I tried this out in Church today. I felt like I was trying to swallow my tongue or something and my brain was like "wtf" and stayed awake. lol Btw- That wasn't bad English.

@FinnVarra said:

I hate to state the obvious here, but have you tried going to bed earlier. More sleep at night may eliminate your problem.

Otherwise you could try not going to the bathroom. Drink enough so you'll need to go to the bathroom, but not enough that you'll wet yourself. Then when you feel you have to go to the bathroom, just don't. You can't fall asleep if you have to take a leek....at least I can't.

I don't know, being sleepy AND having to pee doesn't work out for me. Like, it's a cocktail for awkwardness.

I hate to get graphic and this might be tmi... but being sleepy and needing to go the bathroom gives me a semi-boner that just won't go away. I know it's not just me; when I get sleepy or wake up from sleeping I get morning wood usually to at least a small degree. And I know morning wood wouldn't be commonly known if it didn't happen to a good chunk of the male population. Having to pee elicits the same response. And hey, as soon as I wake up, I go pee. So they're probably related. Either way, it makes me kinda self-conscious - and it doesn't wake me up, regardless.

@War Killer said:

I actually believe water makes you more sleepy from what I've been told, not sure how or why but I think it has something to do with flushing out your body or something. Either way I'd suggest not drinking it as it might make it harder to stay awake.

Have you tried the buddy system? I have this problem in school in such subjects as English where I would fall asleep from boredom, but I've found having a friend who actually stays awake and asking them to elbow you or something to wake you up if you begin to or have already fallen asleep. But then again, I made a D in English this past year so maybe my methods don't work so well. xD

@Jezer said:

Walking/going to the bathroom is probably a good method, but I don't like leaving class in the middle of a lecture or missing out on any information.

Are you allowed to bring a recorder to class? Like a small audio recorder, if you're afraid of leaving the class room and missing something like a lecture you could just have a recorder set and leave it in the room while you step out for a moment, that way whatever you missed you could go back and listen to later.

Hmm I'll have to research whether water does make you more sleepy. And, I just started this program on Friday, so I don't have any actual buddies. And I don't usually sit next to people I'd be tempted to talk to, so that I'll pay attention in class. But, this is a good idea for those who do lol.

I don't own a recorder and would be way too lazy to go back and listen to what my professors said at a late time, to be honest. lol

@PRIMAV3RA said:

Caffeine mints are a lifesaver!

Sitting up ram rod straight.

Eating something spicy or extremely sour

I've never heard of Caffeine mints; I'll have to look and see if they have them at Walmart or something(but it sounds genius). Sitting up straight actually doesn't work for me. I mean, it does to a degree, but not for long. There are always a few small things I try like stretching, rubbing my eyes, and sitting up straight that works as my first and weakest defense against sleep.

Eating something sour is a great idea! I bought some warheads and sourworms today, so I'll be giving it a try tomorrow.

#39 Posted by deadpool25mm (607 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk to youself (in your mind) like Deadpool, and make Crazy jokes about every word your teachers says. you'll find youself starting to smile and laughing, <------ "Warning This May Make You Insane"

#40 Posted by ImmortalOne (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

See how many "that's what she said" jokes you can make from your teacher's lesson.

#41 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

B vitamins. Specifically B12. Best thing I've found for sustained energy.

#42 Posted by SWAGcity (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Flick n pinch ur testis  
its a good hurt my dood