How do you get over this guilty feeling?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Listen up, I'm a nobody who's got some really not above the average grades in school yet I got into one of the four great universities in my country recently, I feel like I cheated someone of their opportunities. I didn't really plan to enter the university in the first place (my parents just gave me the "I want you to have a good future" talk) and I didn't really study for it that much.Just pure luck and self confidence. Can someone give me advice pls.?

Hayden86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hayden86

Who cares fill guitly later. You did not do a thing wrong (im guessing) so enjoy the fact you made it and do not forget a lot of other people would happly trample you under foot to be where you are.

You will work it out over time.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't worry you didn't cheat someone out of it but it usually helps to go out and do something to help others and the world (or at least to me)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You got accepted for a reason. Pure luck and self confidence sound like good enough reasons to me. Be proud of yourself, allow others to be proud of you and accept any and all congratulations sent your way. Considering the university is one of the top four in your country, you'll be working your _ss off soon enough to continue earning that spot given you.

Good on you. Enjoy this.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@life_without_progress said:

Listen up, I'm a nobody who's got some really not above the average grades in school yet I got into one of the four great universities in my country recently, I feel like I cheated someone of their opportunities. I didn't really plan to enter the university in the first place (my parents just gave me the "I want you to have a good future" talk) and I didn't really study for it that much.Just pure luck and self confidence. Can someone give me advice pls.?

Now that you're in -- you were obviously accepted for more than just luck and confidence, by the way -- make the most of the opportunity that has been given to you. Do not waste it -- that's something that would warrant feeling guilty about. Study and do the best you can do.

FoolsGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
@life_without_progress said:

Now that you're in -- you were obviously accepted for more than just luck and confidence, by the way -- make the most of the opportunity that has been given to you. Do not waste it -- that's something that would warrant feeling guilty about. Study and do the best you can do.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MonsterStomp

If you got into a University, which is something that you didn't want, then why are you there?

If you got into a University that you genuinely want, don't feel guilty because of someone else's misfortune. Just take the opportunity, because they don't come around that often.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Transformers1024

Just take this great opportunity and roll with it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dernman

Stop dwelling on whether or not you deserved to get in. Concentrate on what you do with the opportunity you now have.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheVivas

@life_without_progress: Don't worry man. For that college to accept you, they had to see something they liked. No good colleges take people with, for example, C grades(I'm using C's because that's usially the average grade). Instead of feeling bad, embrace it. If you're not planning on going to that college, then you don't hahe to worry at all. If you don't apply, there's still the chance for someone who didnt get in to be accepted. Take it as an accomplishment, that you got in when you thought you couldn't.

If you are planning on going, don't think of it like "I don't deserve to be here, there are more qualified people" because to the college, you're more qualified than the ones they didn't accept. Try to make your best of it because trust me, chances like this don't happen a lot.

But it all depends on you man. Don't beat yourself up though.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting into one of the greatest colleges means there's more than pure luck and self confidence. As long as your entry was honest, you deserve it. Now get out there and be someone.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

A. Reconsider what landed you in university. Perhaps you do have some very strong qualities that make you worthy of attending a prestigious school.

B. Accept that there is a certain amount of luck in life, and you won this round. Those that migh have got in will also win some pots. This one win for you does not guarantee your success or their failure, so it is unreasonable to guilt yourself unnecessarily.

C. If you truly feel you were accepted when you should not have been and you cannot assuage your guilt, resign and go somewhere else. If you want to get into that institution, try again next year.

D. Consider whether you want to go to college or not. Perhaps you are lacking a feeling of satisfaction because you do not really want this. You cannot live off anyone else's dream.

Other useful advice that are not strictly related to what you asked:

You should know that it is much harder to get scholarships if you do not go fresh out of high school.

If you go to college, make friends but don't party. The connections you make at a school like that are of equal value to the actual education, but no matter where you go, partying usually equals bad grades and heartache in exchange for some raucous times. You can party now and fail later or study now and party for the rest of your life.

Don't get a degree in the arts and by that I mean anything like English, History, or actual Art. These are nearly useless degrees. Take this from somebody who has one. Get a degrees in business or science or anything where you can actually do something that adds value to the world. Arts degrees are only good for teaching, and you can always major in science and fill up your off time with Artsy stuff.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how everyone has way better advice than me

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@life_without_progress:

it's not always cas of grades, they found potential in you and they like it. Soething in your application was truly original. Your attitude in the interview could also have played a part. May I ask what the university is?