How do you get out of your writers block?

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

So I've got eight book ideas that I've decided to write the plot outlines for. So far it's been a really good success but I'm stuck in the middle of the second to last storyline for one of the books and I can't think of anything to go for the last storyline. What do you guys do to get rid of your writers block?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Aiden Cross

Doing something else for a while, and listen to inspirational music. It works for me =)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lykopis

I pretty much stick to it, write what I know is garbage but at least keep the creative process going. I aim for silly because at least I can practice something. Does it work? Sometimes. When it doesn't, I am immersed in some new story that's taken hold of me anyway.

ImmortalT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ImmortalT1000

I ignore it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Take a walk.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lorbo

I think it depends on how important the story is in your life. If you have more important things to do, by all means do them. As for the writer's block...there is a cure for that. Ask yourself questions about the story, like why is the character doing this or that, what reason do they have for feeling this way? Also if all else fails, visualize how you would want your story to end. Now that you have down that, build a bridge for the characters to get there. Personally, I think your best bet is to avoid a happy ending that comes easily to the hero/heroine. They have to struggle and have setbacks, but in the end everybody wants a happy ending. Even when heroes die they still accomplish things.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@lykopis said:

I pretty much stick to it, write what I know is garbage but at least keep the creative process going. I aim for silly because at least I can practice something. Does it work? Sometimes. When it doesn't, I am immersed in some new story that's taken hold of me anyway.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
@knightofthechronicle: I am not sure, you are still in the planning stage?  I think in terms of getting things going, that starting to write is a pretty big step.  As another writer here pointed out to me once, generally writers don't really remember what their "Aha!" moments were compared to when they were just writing and getting the words out.  So sometimes it is just important to write and let the words flow out.  Equally it is important to not write out fluff that will all get edited out in the end. 

One method that I like though is what I call the George Lucas method, which mainly consists of ripping off other people if you can't think of your own material.  I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way, Lucas was a visionary in science-fiction writing partly because he saw something exotic and thought of another use for it.  So the underground houses in Tunisia become Luke Skywalker's home.  The palace in Caserta becomes Amidala's palace.  The Tikal ruins in Guatemala become war ruins on Yavin IV.  Equally the pod races are based on a sequence from some Scandinavian movie just as the droids are based on characters from a Japanese movie.  So I would recommend to expose yourself to some things that you usually are not familiar with.  Watch a classic movie that might have always piqued your interest, check out some art from a specific region and time period, or listen to some music from a different part of the world.  You will never know where inspiration might come from, and having a broader base to draw on makes you a better writer anyway.  
thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By thespideyguy

@knightofthechronicle: I am very busy and when I get around to writing I just try to get as much done as I can.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Pyrogram

@knightofthechronicle: Take inspiration from other people and mix ideas, like razz said, Mix different stories, pick and choose little things from loads of media's and make something your own.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lorbo

What I want to do is take traits from people I already admire and like and put those traits into my original character. At the same time I make sure to give them plenty of faults that would match with their strengths. For example, a brave person may seem ideal, but they may also take unnecessary risks.

Setherial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Setherial

I do acid or shrooms.

Kemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kemp

steambuy essay said:

I cannot simply ignore the writer's block. I get very angry and irritated and often write nonsense because of that. When I calm down, I split the narrative into several parts and start with the quirky one which I find the most ridiculous.

It more often depends on why you have a writer's block. In my case, it's usually when I'm tired or I may have read too much and then I just copy the style of the other authors. The same was after reading Codename Villanelle by Luke Jennings. What is the silliest thing to do to overcome a writer's block?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Watch anime, movies and television shows. read manga, comic books and novels. Then map out world building.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look at how i want it to end. Weave my way backward.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go eat some pie

king_majestros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to music and hope I can envision fighting or having sex to it. I also drink loads of Mountain Dew and hop-up on pains meds.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just lock yourself in a room with no distractions for 12 hours and go at it