#1 Posted by knightofthechronicle (707 posts) - - Show Bio

So I've got eight book ideas that I've decided to write the plot outlines for. So far it's been a really good success but I'm stuck in the middle of the second to last storyline for one of the books and I can't think of anything to go for the last storyline. What do you guys do to get rid of your writers block?

#2 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Doing something else for a while, and listen to inspirational music. It works for me =)

#3 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I pretty much stick to it, write what I know is garbage but at least keep the creative process going. I aim for silly because at least I can practice something. Does it work? Sometimes. When it doesn't, I am immersed in some new story that's taken hold of me anyway.

#4 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

I ignore it.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Take a walk.

#6 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it depends on how important the story is in your life. If you have more important things to do, by all means do them. As for the writer's block...there is a cure for that. Ask yourself questions about the story, like why is the character doing this or that, what reason do they have for feeling this way? Also if all else fails, visualize how you would want your story to end. Now that you have down that, build a bridge for the characters to get there. Personally, I think your best bet is to avoid a happy ending that comes easily to the hero/heroine. They have to struggle and have setbacks, but in the end everybody wants a happy ending. Even when heroes die they still accomplish things.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34025 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I pretty much stick to it, write what I know is garbage but at least keep the creative process going. I aim for silly because at least I can practice something. Does it work? Sometimes. When it doesn't, I am immersed in some new story that's taken hold of me anyway.

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9680 posts) - - Show Bio
@knightofthechronicle: I am not sure, you are still in the planning stage?  I think in terms of getting things going, that starting to write is a pretty big step.  As another writer here pointed out to me once, generally writers don't really remember what their "Aha!" moments were compared to when they were just writing and getting the words out.  So sometimes it is just important to write and let the words flow out.  Equally it is important to not write out fluff that will all get edited out in the end. 

One method that I like though is what I call the George Lucas method, which mainly consists of ripping off other people if you can't think of your own material.  I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way, Lucas was a visionary in science-fiction writing partly because he saw something exotic and thought of another use for it.  So the underground houses in Tunisia become Luke Skywalker's home.  The palace in Caserta becomes Amidala's palace.  The Tikal ruins in Guatemala become war ruins on Yavin IV.  Equally the pod races are based on a sequence from some Scandinavian movie just as the droids are based on characters from a Japanese movie.  So I would recommend to expose yourself to some things that you usually are not familiar with.  Watch a classic movie that might have always piqued your interest, check out some art from a specific region and time period, or listen to some music from a different part of the world.  You will never know where inspiration might come from, and having a broader base to draw on makes you a better writer anyway.  
#9 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightofthechronicle: I am very busy and when I get around to writing I just try to get as much done as I can.

#10 Posted by Pyrogram (41151 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightofthechronicle: Take inspiration from other people and mix ideas, like razz said, Mix different stories, pick and choose little things from loads of media's and make something your own.

#11 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

What I want to do is take traits from people I already admire and like and put those traits into my original character. At the same time I make sure to give them plenty of faults that would match with their strengths. For example, a brave person may seem ideal, but they may also take unnecessary risks.

#12 Posted by Setherial (212 posts) - - Show Bio

I do acid or shrooms.