Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: How Do you feel about Sci-fi Swears? (11 votes)

Love'em 36%
Hate'em 18%
Meh 45%

Personally I love sci-fi shows and can never get enough, but the one thing that has always makes me wanna throw something at the tv is whenever they utter a tv friendly made up swear to replace something they can't say on tv.

Doesnt matter if its from Battlestars "Frak" all the way to Robin Williams little "Shazbot" to the most recent introduction of Defiances "Shtako" they just rub me the wrong way

And of course comic books are no exception, i'm reminded of spider-man 2099's little habit of say "oh shock" and theres no doubt dozens of space lingo swears in dc and marvels cosmic series.

#1 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they're hilarious.

#2 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh. It really depends on how it's done. I only like it as long as it's taken seriously and not forced down your throat. I kinda liked Firefly slang, but I cringe at "frak."

90% of the time, made up swears in Sci-Fi comes off as trying too hard.

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

They sound a little weird to me. I mean, I like frak, but it always sounds funny coming out.

#4 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

bosh'tet — curse/insult, likely being relative to "son-of-a-b****.

#5 Edited by Ellie_Knightfall (4820 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't care less.

#6 Posted by WillPayton (9822 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote "Meh" because I dont hate them enough to vote "Hate' em", but I do think they're kind of lame and would prefer if shows didnt need to use them.

#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (8847 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Eh. It really depends on how it's done. I only like it as long as it's taken seriously and not forced down your throat. I kinda liked Firefly slang, but I cringe at "frak."

90% of the time, made up swears in Sci-Fi comes off as trying too hard.

Pretty much this.

#8 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

Now, see, this right here is a great example of good slang in Sci-Fi. I never cringed at the swears in Mass Effect, because it was done well and took itself seriously. And maybe because it didn't outright replace real swears; humans used their own swears, and other races used their unique words.

Keelah se'lai.

#9 Posted by SC (13355 posts) - - Show Bio

Flarking ridiculous. I mean okay you want to paint us the idea of a tough as nails rogue hero who likes to shove his balgs into the face of corrupted chaste authority, thats great, you don't need to sell this idea to us by having him utter every sharp sounding syllable under the Corona Borealis. I mean boray me into a devil's beard and cram my draz its all a bunch of bumblefluff.

#10 Edited by Aiden Cross (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Gorram all the time ;)

#11 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Flarking ridiculous. I mean okay you want to paint us the idea of a tough as nails rogue hero who likes to shove his balgs into the face of corrupted chaste authority, thats great, you don't need to sell this idea to us by having him utter every sharp sounding syllable under the Corona Borealis. I mean boray me into a devil's beard and cram my draz its all a bunch of bumblefluff.

No Firefly reference? Not shiny, SC. Not shiny at all.

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17968 posts) - - Show Bio

You win the internetz! Quarian swearing for the win!

#13 Posted by SC (13355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Heh heh heh true, I should have.

#14 Edited by Saren (25081 posts) - - Show Bio

More likely just a general gender-neutral insult similar to b@stard/b!tch; there's that one scene in ME3 where drunk Tali calls Miranda a "genetically perfect Cerberus cheerleader bosh'tet".

Drunk Tali > all other ME characters.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale said:

More likely just a general gender-neutral insult similar to b@stard/b!tch; there's that one scene in ME3 where drunk Tali calls Miranda a "genetically perfect Cerberus cheerleader bosh'tet".

Drunk Tali > all other ME characters.

I thought it generally meant b@stard, and that calling somebody a Varren (which I think somebody did) was akin to b!tch.

In that context, b@stard would make sense, considering Miranda's family history.

But yeah, drunk Tali is great.

"Emergency. Induction. Port."

#16 Posted by Saren (25081 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Aren't varren those dog creatures the Blood Pack use? I vaguely remember some krogan guy in ME2 use varren as an insult to belittle someone.

#17 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Aren't varren those dog creatures the Blood Pack use? I vaguely remember some krogan guy in ME2 use varren as an insult to belittle someone.

Yeah. Considering they're essentially the closest things to dogs in the Mass Effect universe, and the meaning of the word b!tch, it seems like varren can work as an insult in the ME universe.

Also, speaking of Krogans, gotta love the term, "you have a quad."

#18 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: @citizenbane: Just coming off the wiki, I cut it a little, but it could mean b*tch or b*stard ^-^

Speaking of Tali, did you catch her cheese bit ?

Wreav " Back stabbing Pyjak, she didn't think we notice ?" :D

@deranged_midget: Quarians have the best Accents !

#19 Edited by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Best non-existent swears I've heard weren't not really from scifi... They were from Rome...

"Juno's c*nt!" or "Jupiter's c*ck!" Priceless!