• 60 results
#1 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

This is mainly for in-school commentors, but those who graduated can also comment.

At the insistance of persons close to me, I went ahead and looked up my grades for the latest semester. I hated the semester. It was tedious, hard, my teacher gave us tests different to what she taught us etc.

Found out I screwed myself over with 2 classes. The two classes I need for my Geology major.

Reminds me how much of a freak I am. I'm excellent (supposedly) in art and writing. Yet I'm not SUPPOSED to be good at both. I'm only supposed to be good in math, chemistry, physics etc. I'm supposed to screw up in English only. Instead, the classes I need are the ones I stink at and the useless classes that lead to nothing in the future are the ones that I do good in.

Now that I ranted for the millionth time in the past 6 months, how do you guy deal with this? Does everybody get straight A's and I'm the genetic aberration who can't seem to think myself out of a wet bag?

#2 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

I put it out of my mind and focus on not screwing up next semester.

#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

I never really cared about grades much so I was rarely sad when getting one.

#4 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Zombie_:

Not so easy for me, I'm afraid.

I just end up going deeper into depression over it.

#5 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Pfft. Never said I had much success with it.

#6 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe not the best advice, but grades don't even matter till high school at the earliest, maybe even college unless you're obsessed with going to a "good" school. I'm a pretty good student in subjects I like, and in those I don't like or need but have to take, I just do enough to get an A or B. I've gotten a few C's but knew that those wouldn't count as much when compared to the other grades I earned.

I wouldn't let it get you down, nothing you can do to change them now, just focus on your future classes. You'll be fine, plus you got those classes out of the way.

#7 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh i know. I've never been good at studying (also due to concentration issues). So i had to study 10 times as hard to barely pass a class while other students got straight a's by reading through the book once. But when i passed i had a sense of accomplishment those other students never had. Sure you may feel depressed when you get bad grades having studied so much, but you need to focus on the good and not on the bad. Feel proud for doing so well in those other classes! And trust me, i sucked at math and physics which i both needed for future education, and i got my engineering degree, so where there's a will, there's a way. Never give up ;)

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Booze. Booze is the answer you're looking for.

#9 Posted by Nefarious (18581 posts) - - Show Bio

I suck it up and try to to do better in the future. 

#10 Posted by logy5000 (5642 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

I never really cared about grades much so I was rarely sad when getting one.

What kind of job do you have today?

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nefarious said:

I suck it up and try to to do better in the future.
#12 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn:

Damn it. I have to wait a month before I can get my drink on legally. :P

@Xanni15:

The sad thing is I'm a 3rd year in college. High School I had up to a 3.2 at one point. Now I barely have a 2.0.

@ComicMan24:

LeGasp! You'll never find a job in comics with no studying! D:

@Aiden Cross:

That makes me feel a teensy bit better. But like I've told many, I have 5 goals to accomplish before I turn into worm food. And getting a degree in geology is one of them (also I'm sick and tired of my relatives heckling me about not switching to English. I don't want to spend my life writing to kiss the butt of some depraved scientist or horny minded politician.)

#13 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic: have you thought about getting a tutor or a study group? There's no shame in admitting you need a bit of help, if anything it makes you more self aware ;)

#14 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross:

I've been to tutoring centers for years As of late a tutor goes to my house and helps me out. But one thing is having a positive reinforcement guiding you and another having a 300 point (exaggerated I know) final staring you in the face with no help of any kind because the teacher is forced not to raise a finger in an attempt to help.

#15 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic: That's a good thing, if anything it'll help with the confidence. You have to see it like this, if geology is really something you want, there are always ways to get there. Even if you don't get the desired grades you can follow summer school, spend an extra semester getting the right grades for those subjects. Ask for an acceptance test for the study of your choice etc. So maybe it'll take a. Little extra work, but you'll get there anyway :) you can do anything you set your mind to!

#16 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross:

The strange thing is, outside of math and chemistry (possibly physics, but I haven't taken a course yet in that), I do extremely well in other classes with the least grade being a C for the tougher subjects. It's almost impossible for me to get a B or below in English and so far I've never failed a geology course. It's just those two damn subjects.

#17 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic: i wouldn't worry about it then, they won't just look at the two classes you're not good at. And if you don't pass those classes and you need them for your future studies there are still plenty of options available :) Everyone has things they're good at and things they need more practice in :) So do the finals with confidence, and if you don't make it it's not the end of the world, no reason to be depressed!

#18 Posted by Lunacyde (17835 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get them.

#19 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Dude I haven't met you so I can't say you are dumb. I can get a perfect score on a test that I didn't study for. If you are like that and your grades are slipping start taking notes and studying. If you don't know how to do those things ask a friend. Now if you study and are screwing up get some one to tutor you. If you can take notes and suck at them, take different styles of notes (outline notes are usually the best). That is my advice. Also change your major to something you score high in.

#20 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy:

I take notes, have a tutor etc. Studying is the very hard part because , in the past, my methods of studying actually hit my grades hard in a negative way. I try to absorb as much as possible (which is a shocking amount, to be honest) during class and when I do the work.

#21 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (23146 posts) - - Show Bio

You would never fail if you listen to this before studying.

#22 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope:

I'm in college as well, taking honors classes (which are actually less work and easier than normal ones). Just make sure you take a break from everything for a bit when you need one.

#23 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Staying calm and rational is the most important thing.

#24 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Booze. Booze is the answer you're looking for.

Yes...Yes, this...Yes

#25 Posted by The Stegman (23004 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft, I personally don't care about grades that much, I'm in college now, and could care less about the Dean's List, I live by the philosophy of "Cs get degrees".

#26 Edited by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15:

I question the veracity of Honors being easier than standard classes. But in terms of break, I usually break for weekends and holiday vacations. I've never been to a part of whatever like all other collegians are seemingly socially required to attend.

Then again, last time I was cordially invited to a shindig was when I was in elementary school.

#27 Posted by The Umbra Sorcerer (8128 posts) - - Show Bio

Can you repeat in any way? I've had to repeat my Psychology Unit 1 this is my second try but it does help you get a better feel for it. Best advice is try and find what way you learn best is it pressure's on cramming session or do you prefer to stretch out your studying! :)

#28 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I tell myself

" Deal with it, you dumb idiot. "

#29 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

Relax, and study. And don't study forever all night, study when your brain can focus and study over long periods.

#30 Posted by Roddy010 (5136 posts) - - Show Bio

Smoke me a joint and get back to work for better grades next semester.

#31 Posted by SupermanSlayerT1000 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried to study harder.

#32 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

A drink.

#33 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting another good grade.

#34 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17243 posts) - - Show Bio

punching walls usually helps me.

#35 Posted by pikahyper (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: if you are the type that finds it hard to learn from studying try going to your local strip club and see if any dancers are in/were in the same types of classes and doing well and if so see if they are interested in private tutoring with nude rewards, it'll cost ya but it works for some people, if not a strip club every college has a well known mini-community of ladies with questionable modesty, one is bound to be good at what you need..

#36 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Umbra Sorcerer:

Yes you can. But there's a cap on how many points you can re-take. I swear if I find out who implemented that rule, I'll sue the designer brand labels off of their clothes.

@Roddy010:

Lol, I'm too much of a nag to smoke. Just one sniff of nicotine is enough to make me go insane. (I really hate smoking, legal or not. I hate the laws banning it because it removes rights, but the practice itself makes me squirm.)

@TheAcidSkull:

If I try to punch a wall without pulling back, I'll smash a huge hole into it. Maybe I'll get myself a punching bag or something for my 21st.

@pikahyper:

My town is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too conservative for strippers. Maybe the nearby town, but the most you see are drunks.

If I can find an alternative/guy stripper bar, then maybe I'll think on it. (It's so hard to find a stripper bar that's good for girls. All the ones I've passed are fake boobs plastered for the sexually frustrated married man.)

#37 Posted by pikahyper (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: bound to be some smart beefcake around your college lookin for some extra money :P

#38 Posted by ComicKID777 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't trip cause its just grades sometimes you can be lazy but smart grades don't always tell the story.

#39 Posted by DCsuperman0007 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper:

Aww, but I'm saving some cash to get me Marvel Selects. :C

#41 Posted by pikahyper (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: priorities eh

#42 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicKID777:

Ain't that the truth. The chem nerds could barely write their own name even though they aced a b*tch of a class.

#43 Posted by Jezer (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

This is mainly for in-school commentors, but those who graduated can also comment.

At the insistance of persons close to me, I went ahead and looked up my grades for the latest semester. I hated the semester. It was tedious, hard, my teacher gave us tests different to what she taught us etc.

Found out I screwed myself over with 2 classes. The two classes I need for my Geology major.

Reminds me how much of a freak I am. I'm excellent (supposedly) in art and writing. Yet I'm not SUPPOSED to be good at both. I'm only supposed to be good in math, chemistry, physics etc. I'm supposed to screw up in English only. Instead, the classes I need are the ones I stink at and the useless classes that lead to nothing in the future are the ones that I do good in.

Now that I ranted for the millionth time in the past 6 months, how do you guy deal with this? Does everybody get straight A's and I'm the genetic aberration who can't seem to think myself out of a wet bag?

The trick is to let your failure fuel your future success. (Came up with this phrase like a second ago EDIT: Just googled it and apparently its been invented already ='( )

I repeat: Let your failure fuel your future.

For added emphasis: Let your failure fuel your future.

What does it mean? It means that the greatest feeling of triumph comes after you have overcome adversity. See: The Dark Knight Rises. There's a reason people like to cheer for an underdog. Everyone loves a comeback.

Use your bad grades to inspire you to put in the focus necessary to do good in this coming semester. Generally, all things equal, the difference between you and people doing well in the class is how much attention/effort they give to it. This is why people can blow off a class for most of the semester, take adderall(instant work ethic, super focus), and then beast the Final.

Let me tell you a story: Last school year, I had to do a research paper for my Psych class. After finally figuring out my idea, I bounced it against my professor....and she rudely told me that I couldn't do it. That I wouldn't be able to find the research or focus it on an area of Psych related to my class. She was extremely rude to me. Instead of giving up or bemoaning myself and my treatment, I used my professor's dismissal to fuel how much effort I put into my research paper. I immediately started researching, found several sources that could be used for my paper, and did the exact same research idea she said it would be impossible for me to do. Wrapped it up, put it on my outline, wrapped it in a bow, gave it to her, and you know what? She approved it. And I ended up getting a B in the class despite getting a 60 on one of my tests(so I must have done decent on the paper). As someone who hates research papers, the anger I felt at my professor fueled me to put superhuman focus on the paper I would have procrastinated.

You need to do the same. Whatever emotion you feel towards your failure this past semester, must be converted to be your muse for putting as much effort as possible in all your classes. Plan to sleep less. Plan to put disregard your friends and the opposite sex in pursuit of knowledge(but dont completely disregard them, use them as a break to recharge). Plan to study in advance. Plan to disregard trivial things, petty things, for your grades.

I'm in the same position you are...to a degree. I did relatively bad last semester and actually got a C+ in one of my classes(I'm a Junior in college, second C I'd gotten). GPA went down. But you know what? I'm looking forward to this coming semester and my great comeback. This is the mindset you should have.

I play songs themed about triumph and it puts my mind in that mood. Just listen to the melody of the chorus(regardless of your preference about rap):

#44 Posted by PowerHerc (81468 posts) - - Show Bio

I try to inspire my oldest into bringing them up.

#45 Posted by PowerHerc (81468 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many ways to inspire.

#46 Posted by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

Drunken Street Parties in Scotland.

#47 Posted by ComicKID777 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: It happens education doesn't always dictate intelligence. i sucked at school not because i was dumb, but because i was lazy an i had other things on my mind.

#48 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc:

My inspirations are whacked out. Lately I've been in verbal arguments over me and Geology.

I want a Geology major, but I've had more than 2 people tell me to my face to switch to English. I love both, but I won't be a slave to the crazy heads of companies in journalism, since its the go-to expected job for English majors.

If I write, I want the power.

#49 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm the exact same way with many classes, great in english, philosophy, communication studies, even law history... Not as great at science, and I find them boring.

Want to know why?

People that are REALLY good at subjects, and visionary at them, usually get bored with the ways classes are taught in their chosen field, because they're already thinking two or three or ten steps beyond what the class does, or asking more questions than the class can handle, or the class just isn't doing it in a creative, unique way. It has no vision.

After talking back and forth with you on Comic Vine I'm not at all surprised you're this way, you seem very intelligent, and I think you're less of a "let's sit in a room and do as we're told, and do it perfectly" kind of person, and more of a "hmm, let's throw out EVERYTHING everyone's done, and make up new stuff that's better" kind of person. It's the difference and synergy, between creativity and vision, and intelligence and knowledge; to be a master or genius you have to have both.

Some of the smartest people in history, both famous and in the background of things, either never finished college, or bombed out here and there in their college career, yet are either regarded as some of the most intelligent or gifted people in their field, or they are some of the most successful. Bill Gates never finished college either. My own Father, who's got a Masters in acoustical physics and was one of the Navy's best nuclear engineers, flunked an entire semester of college at Harvard before he really got going. Harvard never even charged him much, they gave him a scholarship.

Failing a class or two, or even a quarter or semester, doesn't mean you're incapable of doing amazing things or you're not smart. It means.. You failed a class. That's all. You, in my opinion, are easily capable of being one of these visionaries, but like the others, you have to find out where you can apply your creative intelligence to the area you're interested in.

Good luck, and keep pushing through! ^^

#50 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc:

My inspirations are whacked out. Lately I've been in verbal arguments over me and Geology.

I want a Geology major, but I've had more than 2 people tell me to my face to switch to English. I love both, but I won't be a slave to the crazy heads of companies in journalism, since its the go-to expected job for English majors.

If I write, I want the power.

Did you ever consider writing novels, non-fiction, or maybe even starting your own journalism business? I know a guy who started his own, a friend of mine referred me to him so I could build him his app for the iPhone and Android. People are still making new news sources and journalistic sources, and if you get some others on-board and find someone to back you financially (or even do it through crowd sourcing somehow... That's a huge fad nowadays), maybe you could make it work.

Just a thought though.