How Cynical are we?

Acharya77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Acharya77

Not sure how many of you saw the recent South Park episode where Stan is diagnosed for being a Cynical a-hole where just everything sucks to him.

It did kinda make me stop and think about times where I've felt the same. Whether it's movies, books, games, TV there were so many times where just everything just... seemed like shit. Course in further retrospect I have come to a conclusion when it comes to newer things yeah... I'm pretty cynical and harsh towards certain things from all these categories. However I have found that I do enjoy a lot of things I grew up with and even have an appreciation for older things that came long before my time like The Beatles music, Black and White movies etc.

And also I've found while it doesn't happen often I do enjoy certain things that are new like the Scott Pilgrim movie, music from 3 Inches of Blood ,the new Doctor Who, Red Dead Revolver etc.

Course I still have friends who tell me that I don't enjoy anything probably because I happen to hate 90 percent of what's on TV, comic book shelves, and just about every other film hollywood spews out at me. But I've yet to be called a Cynical Asshole yet. Yet I still can't help but wonder just how cynical we are as a community. In a world online where everyone can be a critic it's easy to find people who can tell you why something sucks and is never good but it's rare I see folks talk about something that's right and what is great.

Is there a very thin line between constructive criticism and being a cynical a-hole? 

Just some food for thought. Gimme your input!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I thought your post was lazy and uninspired and probably stolen directly from wikipedia. You keep talking about yourself, so you might not be cynical, but you are definitely a narcissist. I think you invented these so called friends, and are in reality a 70 year old man who is using the computer for the first time and trying to impart some pretentious moral wisdom here because your great grand children won't reply to you on Twitter.  

Also love is all about chemicals, Reality TV killed the Radio Star and we will all die anyway and I have not got Milk and I will not pass go. Your avatar also looks too animalistic. Its rather insulting as well. To.. women.  

Blank piece of paper >> Bendis >> Loeb >> Fraction. My segway abilities are bad but better than most peoples. We all suck. Nothing is original. My milkshake poisoned all the children in the yard. Damn right. Its better than lead. I would drink some, but I spend all my time in my bed.  

0_0 

How did I do? lol, Great thread. I actually genuinely feel like I can sort of switch at will between cynicism and optimism/idealism. Sorta depends. People have accused me of being way to harsh on Matt Fraction, but since I think everything is relative, and generally point out the positives and negatives of whatever i tend to critique I feel I tend to be balanced. Just depends on the nature of the discussion. I can be as thorough with positives as negatives. 

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By XRiskyX

Cynical enough not to care.

;p

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By cyberninja
Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

"Dont be afraid to be a fool.  Remember you cannot be both young and wise.  Young people who pretend to be wise in the way of the world are mostly just cynics.  Cynicism masqurades as wisdom, but it's the farthest thing from it.  Because cynics don't learn anything, cynicism is self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt or disappoint us.  Cynics always say no, but saying yes begins things saying yes is how things grow, saying yes leads to knowledge, Yes is for young people, so as long as you have the strength to, say yes." -Stephen Colbert

We have become more cynical over the years.  Its too easy to be an armchair critic.  We waste so much energy complaining about things we don't like and calling each other names from the safety of our computers.  Why not spend time doing things we do like. We put things and people down because it makes us feel big.  Im not saying you have to like everything, and Im not saying that criticism is a bad thing.  It depends on perspective.  In one of my art classes, I remember being shredded in my first critique.  I thought that my work was great and it doesn't need to be fixed. Now I have the mentality that I can always make my work better.  If you don't like something than find something you do like.  

But, keeping in form with cynicism, either Xerox-Kitty, Dark Huntress, or Mistress Redhead is going to lock this thread.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Shadow_Thief

As far as I'm concerned, the difference between criticism and cynicism really comes down to one's ability to argue their position. If you've done your research, and can lay out a coherent, logical argument for why you feel the way you do, you're a critic. Criticism is a necessary aspect of a healthy society, because once we stop being critical and looking for ways to improve, we become complacent and begin to atrophy. Cynicism, on the other hand, is less about coming to a negative conclusion and more about simply making assumptions of inferiority. If you watch a film, decide you don't care for the certain aspects of it, and form a negative opinion based upon this, you're a critic. If you refuse to see a film because you believe that any film made by the director will automatically be terrible, you're a cynic.

Mr_Mold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr_Mold

WE? I don't know. A lot?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

A bit, I suppose.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By CATPANEXE

Personally I believe variety is the spice of life, and to always expand my mind, so I don't think I'm part of the proverbial "we".
I've noticed though when observing it, that many tend to follow a cynical point of view about subject matter as a means to
fit in, rather than that's what they purely think and feel, noted due to the fact that the opinion's often are a repeat of the same
words and points. Not really a bad thing though in itself going with the flow, people like to fit in and the subject matter is usually
inanimate so it's taking any sort of a toll. At the end of the day like what you like, don't like what you don't for whatever reasons
work for you and the fact that you do shouldn't be any sort of a problem.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123
@SC said:
I thought your post was lazy and uninspired and probably stolen directly from wikipedia. You keep talking about yourself, so you might not be cynical, but you are definitely a narcissist. I think you invented these so called friends, and are in reality a 70 year old man who is using the computer for the first time and trying to impart some pretentious moral wisdom here because your great grand children won't reply to you on Twitter.   Also love is all about chemicals, Reality TV killed the Radio Star and we will all die anyway and I have not got Milk and I will not pass go. Your avatar also looks too animalistic. Its rather insulting as well. To.. women.   Blank piece of paper >> Bendis >> Loeb >> Fraction. My segway abilities are bad but better than most peoples. We all suck. Nothing is original. My milkshake poisoned all the children in the yard. Damn right. Its better than lead. I would drink some, but I spend all my time in my bed.   0_0  How did I do? lol, Great thread. I actually genuinely feel like I can sort of switch at will between cynicism and optimism/idealism. Sorta depends. People have accused me of being way to harsh on Matt Fraction, but since I think everything is relative, and generally point out the positives and negatives of whatever i tend to critique I feel I tend to be balanced. Just depends on the nature of the discussion. I can be as thorough with positives as negatives. 
OH GOD I WANT TO GIVE YOU A F**KING AWARD OR SOMETHING FOR THIS. SERIOUSLY. 
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle

this thread sucks

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers