Horror: Preferred Medium

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

Edited By HeckTate

Poll Horror: Preferred Medium (14 votes)

Written Word (no pictures) 21%
On Screen (TV or Movie) 43%
Written Word + Pictures 21%
Audio Only 0%
No Preference 7%
Other? 7%

It's October, which is Horror Movie Marathon season, but I haven't been watching any of the classics I normally go through this time of year. Instead I've been picking up some new stuff like the Colder tpb and Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, and re-reading some classics, like Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" and "Herbert West- Reanimator." It occurred to me that I enjoy these a lot more than I do even the classic horror films like Hitchcock's work.

So what's your favorite horror medium? Was it anything in particular that got you into that over the others? There's an "Other" category, but if you vote other please explain what that would be since I think I've got the options fairly well covered.

• 
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Books and games. Books because your imagination is a lot better at scaring you than any film and games because it's YOU that has to take that next step down the dark ally, it's YOU that has to go and check out that strange noise.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

I put written word + pictures, not because of horror comics, but I do like horror stories with the occasional illustration, I find that doesn't hamstring the imagination, but enhances the experience.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By HeckTate
Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Written word. Horror movies are fun too watch sometimes, but they never scare me.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have to go with movies. Horror movies are a great example in particular of how powerful film can be. Plus alot my favorite characters and things related to horror are born in the movies.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Literature FTW.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No preference for me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Movies

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

tv and movies.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On screen. All the sound and everything adds a lot to it.

Books and games. Books because your imagination is a lot better at scaring you than any film and games because it's YOU that has to take that next step down the dark ally, it's YOU that has to go and check out that strange noise.

Now that I think about it, yes. This is right. Book dementor actually scared me, while movie dementor wasn't scary at all in comparison.. I gave a little too much attention to 'people can't see them even when they're around' stuff and woke up in the night. Well, In my defense, I was up late for long reading that book, and if I drift off directly from something to sleep, I tend to think about it in sleep (I mean, literally. I have thought about atomic structure when half asleep lol)

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On screen. All the sound and everything adds a lot to it.

@jonny_anonymous said:

Now that I think about it, yes. This is right. Book dementor actually scared me, while movie dementor wasn't scary at all in comparison.. I gave a little too much attention to 'people can't see them even when they're around' stuff and woke up in the night. Well, In my defense, I was up late for long reading that book, and if I drift off directly from something to sleep, I tend to think about it in sleep (I mean, literally. I have thought about atomic structure when half asleep lol)

To quote H.P. Lovecraft : "...the strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."