Homosexuality among specific areas! (SEE TITLE IN BLOG)

Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

Homosexuality among the gods, supernatural, super heroes/villains, and celebrities.

Hey everyone so in this blog I just wanted to discuss the topic of homosexuality among certain areason of entertainment, literature, and regular life or whatever. So this question has always been on my mind when I read things or characters that cover this area and it is, how does their homosexuality affect themselves and the lives of others. In today's world, homosexuality has rapidly gained support and received legal rights for marriage. Undoubtedly there is still a lot of prejudice and hatred towards homosexuality. Hatred and acceptance are two counterpart concepts that always affect people that are gay. Some of us in the comicvine community have experienced both sides of that coin and many others haven't. To people that are gay including myself, we know what it's like to be gay and how it affects us and how we affect other people. So where do the other names listed in this title fit into my inquiry. Now my question and over all curiosity is, is that how does homosexuality portrayed and dispersed amongst gods in literature, supernatural beings in entertainment or literature, super heroes/villains in comic books and other forms of entertainment? I'm sure we all have thoughts about homosexuality affecting each area mentioned so that's what I'm going to cover. I want this blog to be a great area for discussion, references, opinions (non judgemental), and a place of fair community. Everyone is to respect everyone else. I don't stand for prejudice or hatred in any way shape or form. So I'm going to get started!

gods in literature, or anywhere else!

Okay so my main question in this area is, does homosexuality matter among gods or biblical figures? I mean come on we have probably all thought of this. Are they judged for being gay? What did the writers such as Plato, Socrates, Homer, truly envision when they made certain gods homosexual? Were these writers treated differently for what they had written? What about the characters of their content? Did the people that read them feel indifferent towards certain gods' sexual orientation? Are they held to a different standard? These questions always cross my mind when thinking about ancient greek/roman/ or any other form of gods. Being that they're considered "gods" and are so powerful, it seems that it doesn't matter that they're gay. Gods were created in the likeness of human beings, I suppose that entails human emotion, pleasure, and sexual orientation. It seems very common that gods would have homosexual relationships. There were even poets at the time who wrote poems about same gendered love! One in particular is Sappho of Lesbos. Obvisouly enough today we get the term lesbian from Lesbos. But on that island she wrote poems of love among women, probably because she was constantly surrounded by women. But still my question remains...just because the gods were gods, why was homosexuality so accepted upon them? I know this is all myth and everything but maybe the people that created the homosexual gods, was homosexual himself and expressed his sexuality in that way. It seems there was no negative opinion on homosexuality in the greek/roman/ what have you, myths.

In the Old Testament of the Bible, many people that were recorded that were homosexual, were often sentenced to eternal damnation for their orientation. Now we're talking B.C here so this was LONG LONG LONG ago. In ancient greek mythology, the gods were not looked down upon, so why are these homosexual people being subjected to wrathful judgement? My favorite example would be Jonathan and David from the Hebrew book of Samuel.

"My bowels yearn for you my brother Jonathan, how wonderful was your love to me, passing the love of women."

You can tell that these two people really loved each other. In this story, Saul shows so much hatred for Jonathan's sexuality which leads to Jonathan killing himself! GASP! Prejudice is clear in this era but why? What was the need for such prejudice in this time? There is no need for any prejudice at all but it makes no sense in any era.Jonathan and David were strong warriors at that time and were still looked down upon. Now this area does pretain to religious views so I would appreciate no religious hatred or prejudice either.

the supernatural....ok this one's manily about Willow Rosenberg!

SO as all of us Buffy fans know that as Willow's character progresses into a strong wiccan, we also know her character's sexual orientation takes a turn on to lesbian avenue. Now that brings up the question of "am I born gay, or did I turn gay"? Honestly I don't know the answer to that question but maybe a different blog will discuss that. Anyway Willow's homosexuality is looked at in two ways. Her being a lesbian witch, and her being a lesbian person. I feel that her being a lesbian has no affect on her witchcraft, but it has an affect on her normal life. Having to come out to her best friends was very hard but of course her friends still accepted her. But being a witch it seems that coming out doesn't even matter. Why is that? Why are supernaturals, gods, and whatever else held up to a different standard? It doesn't make any sense! Why is it that if your one thing, and that thing is above human, it's so much easier to be gay? I just wanted to use Willow as an example for this area.

Homosexuality is looked at in different views by different types of wicca or whatever. Gardneria Wicca is ANTI-HOMOSEXUALITY. It's a more traditional group which its' values are sprung from Gerald Gardner. He believed that the rites or something wouldn't work if a gay couple's love was used or something. I DON'T KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT RITUALS AND STUFF! He obviously had prejudices connected to rituals which he was devout to.

There are wiccans that are pro-homosexuality and use the ritual called Charge of the Goddess! Which says that all love is good. So wiccans and witches' beliefs are basically swayed by opinion and the prejudices of their leaders.

super heroes/villains

I think super heroes' sexuality is looked at all in the same way. In their civilian life and in their super hero life. A super hero coming out to another super hero is the same as a friend coming out to another friend. Why? Because they know each other and are friends DUH! I'm not too aware of any homosexual super villains so if you guys want to talk about some you can.

Now the character I want to use for this example is none other than Kate Kane (Batwoman). Kate was once in the military but was relieved of her duties for coming out of the closet. This is a clear breach of DADT, which stands for DON'T ASK DON'T TELL. DADT means that people who enter the military can't disclose their true orientation or give any orientation at all, and this law barred any LGBT from entering the military that were open about it. So by Kate revealing her orientation, she immediately was let go. I never agreed with the DADT policy and I'm so glad that it will be gone in late September! Although Kate was going to fight for her country, that stupid law discriminated against her and didn't let her continue. As Batwoman she's even had a relationship with Renee Montoya (the Question) so we can see she's mainly accepted among other supers! My point is here, is that comics have developed so much over the years that they've adapted to human emotion and understanding. Comics have been made to connect with people and I love that. Super heroes in comic books aren't held to a higher standard especially if they're gay. They get the same treatment as regular homosexual people.

The only villains I can really think of right now are Zoisite and Fisheye from Sailor Moon. It seemed to me that Zoisite's relationship with Kunzite (Malachite) WHICHEVER ONE YOU FOLLOW!, didn't really matter in the Negaverse. It seemed that , them being homosexual it added on to their malevolence. At least that's how I feel some authors tend to use homosexuality among evil characters. I mean who's to say that they actually felt love being that they were evil. I don't think that them being gay made them more evil. Homosexuality is not evil and I embrace it, so if that's what Naoko Takeuchi was implying THEN SHE'S WRONG! Well she probably wasn't implying that all!

celebrities

Many celebrities are very comfortable with their own sexuality and don't care what the public eye has to say. Although the public isn't ruthless when someone is okay with their sexuality. The public eye becomes a vicious animal when they prod at some celebrity who's struggling with their sexuality. Then when that person comes out of the closet, its a feeding frenzy for top news and everything! Now let's make a comparison between two types of people. Celebrities and regular people. Now when celebrities come out of the closet, it can boost their career, open new doors for them, make headlining news, and just be a walk in the park for them. But when a normal average person comes out of the closet, the reaction they get can vary. Some will accept them and love them, while others will totally reject, hate, judge, and turn away their own flesh and blood. Why is the difference between celebrities and ordinary people's coming out of the closet so different? It makes me sick that is that way because of WHO people are. It irritates me!

In conclusion!

Well in conclusion here is the thoughts and questions I've had on my mind! I've probably answered a few of them by writing this out but I'd love to hear everyone else's opinion! REMEMBER NOH8 please!

harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Glitch_Spawn
hmm what do you mean by bump?
harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By harleyquinn12

It's incredible how many celebrities are coming out of the closet lately, and personally, i think it's empowering. i am a "straight ally"(and Catholic),so seeing people like Ian Mckellan, Chely Wright, even Gaga as LGBT is really cool, and I'm glad people accept them and don't treat them any different. This is something Iwish they would handle better in comics, because i think Sara pichelli said(I'm quoting her here) that she hoped that gay characters would be something normal in a few years. I personally hope new characters will be able to be presented as LGBT, and not be controversial, it just so happens that they would be LGBT, and they would just be another character. batwoman is thought to be intresting by many just because she is LGBT, and that's really not the reason she should be exposed. She's an intresting character, and not because she's LGBT. I hope that it came be normal in a few years. Being LGBT shouldn't really matter becuase the rights for everyone should be the same. LGBT's shouldn't be treated differently because they're different. What I'm trying to stress is that it shouldn't be a fiasco if someone comes out. Yes the majority population is straight, but LGBT's shouldn't be miserable because they're different. Just my opinion.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By B'Town

@harleyquinn12 said:

It's incredible how many celebrities are coming out of the closet lately, and personally, i think it's empowering. i am a "straight ally"(and Catholic),so seeing people like Ian Mckellan, Chely Wright, even Gaga as LGBT is really cool, and I'm glad people accept them and don't treat them any different. This is something Iwish they would handle better in comics, because i think Sara pichelli said(I'm quoting her here) that she hoped that gay characters would be something normal in a few years. I personally hope new characters will be able to be presented as LGBT, and not be controversial, it just so happens that they would be LGBT, and they would just be another character. batwoman is thought to be intresting by many just because she is LGBT, and that's really not the reason she should be exposed. She's an intresting character, and not because she's LGBT. I hope that it came be normal in a few years. Being LGBT shouldn't really matter becuase the rights for everyone should be the same. LGBT's shouldn't be treated differently because they're different. What I'm trying to stress is that it shouldn't be a fiasco if someone comes out. Yes the majority population is straight, but LGBT's shouldn't be miserable because they're different. Just my opinion.

You have really covered so many of the points I would make here. I am so excited for the growing acceptance throughout the world, and the different forms of media and celebrity who stand up and support equality+love is LOVE is bringing about change.

And I love and respect Lady Gaga for all she has done, especially for young people who feel so different and might be afraid to come out, she makes standing up and coming out a celebration and makes everyone feel loved and accepted, this is so important to keep so many who may have suffered alone, to be proud of who they are and make the most of their lives. Christina Aguilera's; Beautiful.... is another.

Acceptance is powerful and people should realize and embrace it. It is contagious.

If I refuse to stand back and watch someone being discriminated against and instead I stand up against h8, someone else may feel empowered to stand-up also and so on and so on.

Writers and artists like Gail Simone and Sara Pichelli who stand up for equality each change the world a little bit for the better. I believe the same for blogs like this and even when our CV moderators or staff like .Mistress Redhead, Xerox-Kitty or Sara Lima make a stand against hate, it has a ripple effect for change. And I am always grateful. It may seem horribly romantic but each instance I witness makes my world just that much brighter. :)

@harleyquinnhawkgirl:

Comics have been made to connect with people and I love that.

I agree. I see it here on CV the way most of us do connect from all walks of life from all around the world. I couldn't be happier about the direction the world his heading >>>> love is love. It can't get much more beautiful than that. I can't speak much for the history of Gods and magic and acceptance of homosexuality throughout the ages. (Except of course I crush Willow!) I am not studied in the Gods and such.

I am always up to listening to others views. So, I thank you for the article and I look forward to reading everyone bring their own personal points of interest to the discussion. Well done. :D

edit to add; Lesbian villains? Hello?? Knockout & Scandal Savage. Mystique & Destiny. Some of my favorites anyways. They may not be super evil but they are bad. bad. bad. ha. ha. Of course I love them.

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By harleyquinn12
@B'Town said:

And I love and respect Lady Gaga for all she has done, especially for young people who feel so different and might be afraid to come out, she makes standing up and coming out a celebration and makes everyone feel loved and accepted, this is so important to keep so many who may have suffered alone, to be proud of who they are and make the most of their lives. Christina Aguilera's; Beautiful.... is another.

Did i forget to mention how much I love this blog? Cause i do. And on music, one of my favorite singers is Eleanor Jackson. Not only is her stuff kick-a$$, she's able to maintain an androgynous look that really captures what she's about. She could dress like a man, and that doesn't and shouldn't take away how amazingly awesome she is. The only thing that really matters is how they present themselves. I do like Christina Aguilera. She is great. And while Gaga might not be my favorite singer(She's awesome though), I really like the message she presents to her fans. It's the most empowering and heartwarming thing, and not just for sexuality, for just being different.
theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By theicon
@harleyquinnhawkgirl: david and johnathan was not homosexuals  as  people these days depict, God is clearly against such acts  and wouldnt have anointed david, your depiction  comes  not  from the original hebrew  version bible, that scene is not depicted in such a manor.
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz

This is a well thought out topic, the tying in of different myths is interesting and even giving modern day celebrities a type of mythical status is interesting as well, because in a sense they are.  

harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz
thank you! i had this planned for a while and when i typed it, it just flowed! yes i was definitely going for a "mythical" view over the many different aspects of entertainment! im glad you liked it! i want to do more blogs along this line of seriousness and thought provoking
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@harleyquinnhawkgirl said:
@Glitch_Spawn: hmm what do you mean by bump?
Bump means bumping the thread, people do it to bring a thread the find interesting back to the top of the board so other people can see it and comment.
harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87
i really didnt know that so thank you for telling me!
Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of funny with it.  

With Celebrities, I don't care. I'm never going to be able to sleep with them so it's no big deal. Longs they keep doing what made me like them. That's all I care about. Like with Ian mckellan, I don't care gay bi whatever. longs he continues his great acting such as Gandalf the Grey/White and not transform into Gandalf the Rainbow. Have it, brother! 

In literature...don't care. Like with Achilless and Partaiclus. In the movies they are cousins and best friend but in the real literature they were lovers. Adds spice to the scenerio. Stuff like Anne Rice's Armand......well that is a little much for me.

Comics and Superheroes....so far it is tamed. No complaints there. Heroes like Wiccan and Hulking who are couple. I think is pretty neat. Hell I even made Hawke hook up with Anders in Dragonage 2 just for sh*ts and giggles. At first it was by accident and then I just said oh well I get an achievement for it.....WOOHOO!

On the personal issue...I feel some people gets treat improper treatment is by the way some homsexuals conduct themselves. To be honest an average person don't care if a person is gay or not. I think they have a problem with homosexuals who act like they are aliens and demand attention plus a bonus race card.

Jumping out of the closet is fine and all. A small hop would just do, you don't need to Jean Grey Phoenix fly out that closet. Let people know about you so they wont be confused later in future. Cool, now when you feel you have to make spectacle and be all militant gay just to be an attention whore. A backhand from "A Pimp named Slickback" I feel is acceptable.  

In the words of Kurt Angel "Oh Its Real, It's damn real" 

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By B'Town

@FortressoftheMoon said:

Jumping out of the closet is fine and all. A small hop would just do, you don't need to Jean Grey Phoenix fly out that closet. Let people know about you so they wont be confused later in future. Cool, now when you feel you have to make spectacle and be all militant gay just to be an attention whore. A backhand from "A Pimp named Slickback" I feel is acceptable.

People can and will come out however they choose, it is not up to a homophobe to dictate how one should come out.

Oh, and I say there is NO better way then to fly out, go all Jean Grey Phoenix! Yeah!?! How beautiful is that? :D heh.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Interesting blog. I'm straight but hey if he was good looking enough I wouldn't push him outta bed lol. Homosexual characters in comics will be common place after a while. My favorite homosexual characters being Apollo and Midnighter(gay Superman and Batman basically)

@B'Town: Acceptance is extremely powerful, it would be beautiful to live in a world where when anyone looks at someone else they don't try and categorize them by anything, they just accept them as another living being. not to get all lovey with CV but I really enjoy that people here seem to be genuinely open minded and accepting.

Beautiful line right here...

: Acceptance is powerful and people should realize and embrace it. It is contagious.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By B'Town

@DoomDoomDoom said:

Interesting blog. I'm straight but hey if he was good looking enough I wouldn't push him outta bed lol. Homosexual characters in comics will be common place after a while. My favorite homosexual characters being Apollo and Midnighter(gay Superman and Batman basically)

@B'Town: Acceptance is extremely powerful, wouldn't be beautiful to live in a world where when anyone looks at someone else they don't try and categorize them by anything, they just accept them as another living being. not to get all lovey with CV but I really enjoy that people here seem to be genuinely open minded and accepting.

Beautiful line right here...

: Acceptance is powerful and people should realize and embrace it. It is contagious.

I love the idea of common place. To think that someday, we may live in a more open hearted world, is a beautiful dream.

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@B'Town said:

@FortressoftheMoon said:

Jumping out of the closet is fine and all. A small hop would just do, you don't need to Jean Grey Phoenix fly out that closet. Let people know about you so they wont be confused later in future. Cool, now when you feel you have to make spectacle and be all militant gay just to be an attention whore. A backhand from "A Pimp named Slickback" I feel is acceptable.

People can and will come out however they choose, it is not up to a homophobe to dictate how one should come out.

Oh, and I say there is NO better way then to fly out, go all Jean Grey Phoenix! Yeah!?! How beautiful is that? :D heh.

That is exacyly what I talking about how homosexuals are getting some improper treatment.. Just because someone doesn't see the point of making a big deal about their sexuality doesn't make them a default homophobe. I don't need a frakkin fashion show for you tell me that you like the same sex. Just like you don't need me yell "Straight Wood" in your face to advertise I'm straight.

I feel that homosexuals shouldn't get special treatment and I shouldn't have to specifically kiss someone's ass just cause they want to advertise their sexuality in an abnormal way. It's your personal business not mine. I don't care what the hell you want to do in your bedroom just like you don't care what I do. Just do your goddamn job, pay taxes and use turn signals when turning or changing lanes.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By B'Town
No Caption Provided

@FortressoftheMoon:

harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FortressoftheMoon:

hmm you really don't get the idea of reading or UNDERSTANDING in general do you? IM NOT SAYING HOMOSEXUALS SHOULD GET SPECIAL TREATMENT. in fact i dont think u realize the sole essence of this blog? or are you just too ignorant to look past YOUR OWN point of view and see some one else's. especially when it doesn't refer to what your talking about. when did i mention homophobes in this blog? when did i mention the requirements for special treatment for homosexuals? when did i throw a fashion show for my own sexuality other than simply stating "some of us in the comicvine HAPPEN to be gay, including myself" so simply stating that i happen to be gay doesn't quite strike a parade for me. the only possible thing i mentioned that relates to homophobic feelings was prejudice and hatred that gay ppl face. let's face it its true, but did i write this to research that or get ppl's opinions on homosexuality? NO i didn't. i wrote this to look at certain aspects of homosexuality among literature, supernatural, characters, etc. of course i don't expect anyone like yourself to have read much past the point that you wanted to hate on or express your opinion in a not so kind way. also i don't speak for the ENTIRE LGBT community. I ALSO DONT SPEAK FOR THE ENTIRE STRAIGHT COMMUNITY EITHER. i speak for myself. so thanks for commenting on this blog it was very insightful and yeah i don't tell what goes on in my bed, bc im pretty sure you don't either

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By harleyquinn12

Oh and to add LGBT characters are Karolina Dean from Runaways(one of my favs) and Julie Power(from Power Pack). And Xavin, also from Runaways is transgendered. Ultimate Colossus, Northstar, and as DoomDoomDoom mentioned Apollo and Midnighter.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By B'Town

@harleyquinn12 said:

Oh and to add LGBT characters are Karolina Dean from Runaways(one of my favs) and Julie Power(from Power Pack). And Xavin, also from Runaways is transgendered. Ultimate Colossus, Northstar, and as DoomDoomDoom mentioned Apollo and Midnighter.

These are a couple of my faves too, Karolina & Xavin. I love them together.