hitman videogame & the dying stealth game genre

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

ok so ive been a fan of the hitman series for a while now. and by in large ive loved it. the level design the multiple ways to kill a target the multiple objectives within each level. the weapon customization, the disguises I could go on for days. but its safe to say that "Hitman Absolution" ruined the franchise. so I ask you fellow viners: why do videogame studiosalways have to ruin a good thing to make it "more accessible" (easier) for people? why do they betray the people who padded their pockets in favor of the people with a 3 second attention span. Absolution sucked and it bothers me that I see this trend in stealth games that we used to love splinter cell hitman have disintegrated into easy games for kids. why don't true gamers ever get what we want? (kojima gives us what we want though) why does the gaming industry cater to the COD battlefield and TPS players that don't want to have to think their way through a game? share your opinions here

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Is it easy to platinum? I just finished Contracts and and moving on to Blood Money.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6 JediXMan  Moderator

I disagree. I feel like stealth games are making a major comeback: Metal Gear Solid V, the Arkham series, Ghost Recon series, Watch Dogs (looks like it has some elements), the Last of Us, etc.

As for why studios make things more accessible to new players, this is easily applied to movies, comics, etc. Same thing: money.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jedixman said:

I disagree. I feel like stealth games are making a major comeback: Metal Gear Solid V, the Arkham series, Ghost Recon series, Watch Dogs (looks like it has some elements), the Last of Us, etc.

As for why studios make things more accessible to new players, this is easily applied to movies, comics, etc. Same thing: money.

Yep.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

Yep.

I just realized: Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs, and Assassins Creed...

Thank you, Ubisoft!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

arkham isn't really what I would call stealth. the orginal 3 splintercells and the first 3 hitmans is more the stealth im talking bout.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SOG7dc

@the_last_son_of_czarnia:

btw you are going to LOVE bloodmoney. if you want to watch a GREAT "let's play" check out "TheAuxxieGamer" on youtube.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Well, the new Splinter Cell can be played in multiple ways, including 'pure' stealth.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@jedixman said:

Don't forget the previous Dishonored and the upcoming Thief. Totally agree though. I don't see how stealth is dying when it's more popular than ever in my opinion.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista:

there are a few stealth series that have been completely changed to suit the casual gamer. hitman and splinter cell come to mind. AC has never really been about stealth. neither has the arkham series.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: B.I.N.G.O. And money ruins games. O

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whaaa :o i liked absolution

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Samimista

@sog7dc: I understand what you mean now but the thread title sounds a bit misleading.

EDIT: Also I never mentioned AC if you mean Assassin's Creed. That I never consider to be a stealth game. Thief is a different franchise that's been around long before AC. Unless if you mean something else.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nerdork

First off, I loved Absolution. But, it was also a different Publisher that released the new game. (Eidos originally; Square Enix now). Publishing companies have a lot more say than the developers, in regards to a games content. You want to blame somone...blame Square Enix for not letting the developers (IO Interactive) off of their leash.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Most stealth games are simply part action now, which works for me.

Also easier =/= bad IMO. Just means that the devs need to make sure their multiple difficultly settings.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frogdog

@sog7dc:

why do videogame studiosalways have to ruin a good thing to make it "more accessible" (easier) for people? why do they betray the people who padded their pockets in favor of the people with a 3 second attention span.

It's a misguided attempt to draw more customers and money.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also easier =/= bad IMO. Just means that the devs need to make sure their multiple difficultly settings.

Totally agree on this. I actually like the multiple difficulty settings to be honest. Very helpful.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

Don't forget the previous Dishonored and the upcoming Thief. Totally agree though. I don't see how stealth is dying when it's more popular than ever in my opinion.

Ah! I forgot about Thief!

I'm thinking of playing Dishonored, but I haven't decided. I have a few games I'd like to play (The Walking Dead, Eternal Darkness, possibly buy Mirror's Edge for PC...).

Also: there are some stealth elements in Skyrim. Seriously, the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild are boring if you don't go stealthy.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@samimista said:

@jedixman said:

Ah! I forgot about Thief!

I'm thinking of playing Dishonored, but I haven't decided. I have a few games I'd like to play (The Walking Dead, Eternal Darkness, possibly buy Mirror's Edge for PC...).

Also: there are some stealth elements in Skyrim. Seriously, the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild are boring if you don't go stealthy.

To be honest with you I have never played Thief before but so hyped for the reboot. It looks fantastic. 0.0

Dishonored is a very fun one but may I recommend to wait for Steam Sale? It does have replay value to it since you can go nonlethal or lethal way but I believe the Steam Sale is coming up soon.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When certain games are known for challenge and latest game is dumbed down, for a new audince, it going to a problem for old time fans.

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try Deus ex human revolution or far cry 3

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista:

I know you didn't. someone earlier did and I just wanted to address it. I wasn't aiming that at you though

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@frogdog said:

@decoy_elite said:

When certain games are known for challenge and latest game is dumbed down, for a new audince, it going to a problem for old time fans.

This is true. Which is why their should be multiple difficultly settings so you can please newer fans who aren't very good at the game while keeping the challenge for classic fans.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By theTimeStreamer

dishonored comes to mind as a good stealth game and absolution was good as well. plus a new thief game.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Samimista

@sog7dc: Ah okay though I think you accidentally did the '@' towards me.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By nefarious

I beg to differ.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points