#1 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Who was the better Superman to you? Who matched the mythos/personality of Superman better? How do you think each would have done if they were in each others shoes and had to do the movie in another era?(Henry Cavil in Superman and Reeve in Man of Steel) Who was the better actor? Anything you can think of.

Overall, who was Superman?

#2 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7828 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Reeve will always be Superman.

#3 Edited by NovaRichRider (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel was awesome and Henry Cavil did a good job. I thought the Christopher Reeve Superman movies were awful.

#4 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't really think it's a fair comparison. Superman has changed quite a bit since the Reeves films( Silver-Bronze age). Additionally, Cavill portrays a Superman still young and inexperienced in regards to who or what he wants to be.

Christopher Reeves had a fantastic portrayal for the Superman of his time and that will never be disputed. Cavill's Superman is a modern take for a new generation and I feel like he nailed the emotional moments spectacularly.

#5 Edited by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

i bet everybody already knows what im going to say

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24333 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet nostalgia will cloud everyone's judgement here.

#7 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11029 posts) - - Show Bio

it usually does

#8 Posted by Clark_EL (2653 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry Cavil was an amazing actor for Superman, but Christopher Reeve is the iconic Superman IMO. That being said I like Cavil as Superman more. He looked buff in the suit, he had a good sense of morality, but he still wasn't afraid to go all out if necessary. Christopher also played a funny and believable Clark Kent, so I'll hold off my opinion for "who's a better Clark Kent" until I see how Cavil preforms in a squeal.

#9 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Cavill as superman.

#10 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel was awesome and Henry Cavil did a good job. I thought the Christopher Reeve Superman movies were awful.

Can you give us reasons why? Three and four were kind of a joke but one and two were classics.

#11 Posted by russellmania77 (15288 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry Cavil. He was huge! You can grind meat on those abs bro!

#no h

#12 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry Cavill definitely fit the physical vision of Superman to the teeth.

It's not a question I'm ready to answer yet.

#13 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't really think it's a fair comparison. Superman has changed quite a bit since the Reeves films( Silver-Bronze age). Additionally, Cavill portrays a Superman still young and inexperienced in regards to who or what he wants to be.

Christopher Reeves had a fantastic portrayal for the Superman of his time and that will never be disputed. Cavill's Superman is a modern take for a new generation and I feel like he nailed the emotional moments spectacularly.

Word.

#14 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: meh just as likely, if not more so, that people let themselves be blinded by what's new and fresh.

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21842 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Reeve had the best Clark Kent ever. And his superman had the perfect heart. He also had great chemistry with his Lois.

Henry Cavill had the look of superman. He also had the benefit of better graphics and what not.

#16 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (453 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Reeve.

Cavill's Superman is a little too quiet for me, and I felt the film just didn't do a good job developing him as a character.

#17 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

He also had great chemistry with his Lois.

I have to disagree. This was probably my only huge complaint with the movie. Lois Lane felt a little...lame.

Ha.

#18 Edited by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of Cavil's Superman. Not enough personality, the whole film seemed to be more of other characters' perspectives on Superman, instead of him as the lead. And totally agree he had no chemistry with Amy Adams' Lois.

Another thing I didn't like: Cavil's Superman didn't really feel like the kind of character I would look up to, whereas Reeve portrays this perfect role model that Superman is.

#19 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of Cavil's Superman. Not enough personality, the whole film seemed to be more of other characters' perspectives on Superman, instead of him as the lead. And totally agree he had no chemistry with Amy Adams' Lois.

It also doesn't really help that I don't find Amy Adams very attractive. But hey Margot Kidder wasn't a goddess and she was perfect as Lois.

#20 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I rank them in descending order: H. Cavill, C. Reeve, D. Cain, G. Reeves, B. Routh, G. Christopher, K. Alyn, T. Welling, JH Newton.

#21 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

reeve is the worst actor ever. and the worst superman ever. if you put a superman cape on a brick right now, it would still be better than reeve.

#22 Edited by russellmania77 (15288 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn why did you just say Lois lane was lame, but then go on to say Margot kidder was perfect?

#24 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@deranged_midget said:

Word.

This. Reeves was great for the time but it's time to move on.

#25 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn why did you just say Lois lane was lame, but then go on to say Margot kidder was perfect?

I meant Amy Adams version.

#26 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7828 posts) - - Show Bio

No nostalgia.

Reeve still wins.

#27 Posted by Immortal777 (7571 posts) - - Show Bio

This

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to compare eras. Both have done the character well in their respective eras.

I'll have to see how Cavill does in a sequel or two. Reeve was great but Cavill has the potential to match him.

#29 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11563 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to move on from Reeves Superman. It was a different time then and a different portrayal. For this new era of Superman, Henry was the perfect match.

#30 Edited by captainray (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for late post anyway...

Christopher Reeves portrays Superman. I would say his portrayal is 95% comic book version.

Henry Cavill portrays a more Modern Superman, of how Superman would react in the real world situation.

And your situation with Reeve in Man of Steel and Cavill in Superman movies, well Cavill seems to be the more adaptable actor so he wins.

#31 Posted by logy5000 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio

Without any nostalgia to cloud my judgement, (I'm only 16) Christopher Reeve was much better as Superman.

Cavill did a fantastic job, but he didn't really nail Superman's personality, and he doesn't look like Superman.

#32 Posted by logy5000 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio

reeve is the worst actor ever. and the worst superman ever. if you put a superman cape on a brick right now, it would still be better than reeve.

You're joking right?

#33 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by logy5000 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000: there's a difference between opinion and fact.

#36 Edited by logy5000 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Reeve had more charisma, just cheesier scripts to work with. Remember they each had a lot different themed movie to work in.

#38 Posted by jhazzroucher (15752 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry Cavill, he's a more versatile actor

#39 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11029 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Cavil, his Superman felt more ... sutle and calm hearted

#40 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6167 posts) - - Show Bio

Reeve no contest

#41 Posted by russellmania77 (15288 posts) - - Show Bio

cavil no contest

#42 Posted by The Stegman (24333 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both for different reasons. Reeve was a good portrayal of the Silver Age Superman/Clark Kent. Cavill did a great job giving us a Superman for modern audiences.

#43 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3819 posts) - - Show Bio

Perfect description there. Still...

Christopher Reeve will always be Superman.

:Peace

#44 Posted by Pokeysteve (8294 posts) - - Show Bio

Reeve's was spot on for the Superman of his era.

Cavil was spot on for the Superman of his era.

#45 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000: there's a difference between opinion and fact.

Yes, everything you say is a least an opinion. You are in fact a douche.

#46 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by logy5000 (5761 posts) - - Show Bio