#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie wise Starz seems to get pretty much all the huge blockbusters that HBO doesn't and Showtime is more often than not getting the smaller scale movies or the total flops. Starz and Showtime seem about even with there Original programming but the critics seem way more kind to the stuff of Starz generally so I ask has Showtime ceased to be the Marvel to HBO's DC?

#2 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Showtime still is competition in TV shows.

#3 Edited by tensor (4657 posts) - - Show Bio

Starz is doing a much better job than Showtime in blockbuster movie release. For TV shows AMC is king.

#4 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor: Well AMC does have two of my favorites against one. But I really love Dexter so I'm conflicted.

#5 Posted by The Stegman (25073 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly...I don't watch premium channels for movies, if it's a blockbuster, chances are I have seen it in theaters or bought the DVD already. I watch it for tv shows, HBO is still the king with it's original programming and Showtime has...Dexter, but Starz..what shows does it have that I should care about?

#6 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly...I don't watch premium channels for movies, if it's a blockbuster, chances are I have seen it in theaters or bought the DVD already. I watch it for tv shows, HBO is still the king with it's original programming and Showtime has...Dexter, but Starz..what shows does it have that I should care about?

Californication is good as well.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by The Stegman (25073 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Spartacus was pretty awesome

I watched half of the first season..and stopped, the slow motion was getting on my nerves, it was like stretching 300 out for an entire show.

#9 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahem... Showtime has a lot more than just Dexter... Many of their great shows have ended, but Homeland just started (relatively, it's on season 2) and it's pretty amazing and has won numerous Emmys.

I'm not saying Dexter isn't great, in case it's coming off that way, though.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: The first half of season 1 was probably the worst of it, after that it started picking up steam. They did change the lead between season 1 and 2 but that was due to the guy playing Spartacus dying of cancer.

#11 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. But Showtime is still great IMO.

#12 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Starz keeps canning the most interesting shows so. Like they only let Camelot run for one season which I am still pressed about, not to mention canning Magic City as well.

#13 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@joshmightbe said:

@the_stegman: Spartacus was pretty awesome

I watched half of the first season..and stopped, the slow motion was getting on my nerves, it was like stretching 300 out for an entire show.

You should have continued watching it, the show just got better over time.

#14 Posted by The Stegman (25073 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace20xd6: Yeeeah, if it takes an entire season for a show to become worth watching, I think I'll pass on it.

#15 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Well I liked it from the beginning, we all have our different opinions.

#16 Edited by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

all are horrible if you actually want to watch something decent....they play the same movies over and over for months at a time...the only reason I have HBO is for Game of Thrones...if it weren't for that then I would be saving money on the cable bill

#17 Posted by JairamGanpat (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure I bust a nut watching Da Vinci's Demons...

#18 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1834 posts) - - Show Bio

No I think Showtime is still HBO's biggest rival. Showtime has the shows and now has all of Golden Boy's Boxing matches.