Harry Potter as a social movement

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By OracleX

This is this the story of a unique individual who is shunned by those around him because he has special talents. He is then found by a mysterious means and goes to a school with other uniquely-talented students and learns to use his powers with responsibility by a wizened old man. The old man's nemesis wants to people use their special powers to enslave the people who hunt them.

So it this Harry Potter or the X Men?

A lot of people think that this will be the last big event Harry Potter fans to celebrate. I kind of disagree in that the magic was over for me four years ago when the last book of the series was published. The movies make Harry Potter appeal to larger audience the same way movies they make comics more appealing. They take a small portion of what is most unique yet understandable, and put it under a magnifying glass.

Harry Potter may have his name on the book but I don't think that character is what makes the series "magical" This is a story about being shunned by society and finding a place that is beyond the realm of our understanding. Personally, I think the best character in the series is the school, Hogwarts. Who doesn't want to go to a place with a snake wandering petrifying students? Who doesn't want to be late for class because the door started crying? I really have no desire to ever meet Harry Potter, but I'd kill to go to Hogwarts (not the Universal theme park).

Harry Potter is about finding a place to fit in, in this society. The message has become warped as Harry Potter as counter-culture became pop culture. Most of my friends on facebook are going to a midnight showing yet no one invited me.

I got into comics because I needed a new obsession. The great thing about comics is, there appears to be no end insight. I have found a new place where I feel like I belong in some small way.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By cyberninja

Wow, just wow.