#1 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to love every little detail about the Halo series, but I feel like 343 ruined it. And no this isn't about Cortana dying Bungie had already said she would, but they completely ruined the continuity of it all. Halo 4 was about the forerunners but the Flood wasn't mentioned at all. And we turned from there successor in the Bungie games to worst enemy because we were becoming advanced "cliche". The forerunners where supposed to be shrouded in mystery, and yes I wanted to find out all about them but it's hard to believe that these are the same forerunners from the previous games.The story is ruined more than Reach was and that's saying something. But am I the only one that feels like Halo is ruined even if you feel like it improved leave a comment below.

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

How is the story ruined more than Reach? Reach messed up the Halo EU canon so much it's not even funny.

#3 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

I need more info to comment.

#4 Edited by martianfrommars (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I too believe Halo has been ruined The story in Halo 4 was BS, they unveiled the biggest mystery in the series in a very corny manner . The gameplay felt impoved but didn't retain the scale .However, the multiplayer was excellent but CODized in some aspects.I just feel that they were incredibily lazy writting the story

#5 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: @evilvegeta74: The Flood wasn't even mentioned once as if they don't even exist, even though its safe to assume they're still Flood on other Halo rings( which ironically was barely mentioned). And how many sci fi movies do you know where aliens became enemy of man because we were advancing to fast? Well now you know one more. They ruined the way Chief and Cortana looked and what was there excuse for Chief nanites changed his armor why he was sleep. Well why didn't they change it in Halo ce/cea huh. Just another bad excuse to make things worse. Sure Reach said Cortana was made a week before Halo 1 when in 3 she clearly states she watched John grow and picked him out from the other Spartans. Well that is pretty bad but this is worse in a sense. They both contradicted the books but at least Halo Reach still felt like a Halo game and no I'm not just pissed because it wasn't made by Bungie I love Halo Wars that felt like a Halo game more than 4. Halo 3 = Halo 2> Halo CE>Halo Wars=Halo ODST>>Halo Reach>>>>>>>Halo 4

@martianfrommars:I agree

#6 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: Are you seriously nitpicking at those smallest changes? The Flood was dealt with, and even if they still exist they aren't even a major problem. It's like if I kept mentioning the Revolutionary War in the Civil War. It doesn't make any sense. They have moved on with the Flood. I don't think there is a definite reason why the Covenant turned into the Storm Covenant, but I wouldn't blame them if their holy figures suddenly started appearing everywhere. Chief and Cortana change throughout every single game what are you talking about? They didn't ruin anything, and even if you think they look worse, that is your opinion. I personally think they look better than the Halo Combat Evolved - Halo 2, but a tad inferior to Halo 3. Halo 4 did not mess up anything just because they failed to mention past lore. Halo : Reach screwed up Eric Nylund's Fall of Reach canon so much, as Bungie didn't even bother explaining why a random squad of SPARTAN-III's were there, and said that BOTH Fall of Reach and Halo : Reach were canon. Now that is a major contradiction without an explanation.

@deranged_midget: I require your assistance!

#7 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Halo 4 is by far the worst of the Halo games from both a story and game play aspect. I've played all the games, and read all of the books, and the story here was severely lacking in the grandness that I've come to expect from the series. As for the game itself, it seems like 343 decided to turn the best FPS in the industry into another CoD clone, the combat was simply lack-luster and the new enemies they introduced were boring as hell to fight, and if you really want to see just how bad this game is compared to the other entries just listen to the soundtrack.

Halo is not even fun to play anymore. And they didn't change chief from Halo 2 to 3 just added more polished graphics and when they did from Halo CE to 2 they gave an explanation. And yes this is my opinion when I got Halo 2,3, ODST, Wars, heck even Reach I was excited to play it. I was so excited to get 4 because I thought it was gonna be good. But when I played it I was bored and unimpressed. I didn't even feel anything for Chief or Cortana in 4. I was pretty sad when Cortana stayed on High Charity and excited when he found her in 3, but this game I just didn't care I even took my time beating, it I was an achievement whore for this game that's the only reason I finished it.

P.S sorry I wrote so much.

#8 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

How is the story ruined more than Reach? Reach messed up the Halo EU canon so much it's not even funny.

Halo Reach is a plague among Halo continuity. It even forced needless alterations to the Fall of Reach storyline which I think is stupid on Bungie's part.

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek

:

Halo 4 is by far the worst of the Halo games from both a story and game play aspect. I've played all the games, and read all of the books, and the story here was severely lacking in the grandness that I've come to expect from the series. As for the game itself, it seems like 343 decided to turn the best FPS in the industry into another CoD clone, the combat was simply lack-luster and the new enemies they introduced were boring as hell to fight, and if you really want to see just how bad this game is compared to the other entries just listen to the soundtrack.

You do realize that 343 is made up of most of the original Bungie team that worked on Halo 1 right? Halo 4's gameplay is nearly identical to that of Halo Reach, except far more fluid which makes it more comparable to Halo 3. Literally nothing has changed between games besides graphical upgrades and armour abilities. I fail to see how the combat was "lack-luster" when it shared the same open-environment battles that Halo 3 boasted and the addition of Prometheans added more variety to the enemy types and forced you to change your strategy.

Yes, the soundtrack lacks the grace of Marty O'Donnell's expertise but Neil Davidge did a fantastic job of replicating his work while adding a new sense of urgency. There is a new threat in the Halo universe, circumstances have changed. Everyone John knows is either dead or light years away, the music has changed to reflect his mood and the tone of the universe. If nothing had changed, you'd simply be complaining that 343 is "copying" Activision and milking the franchise as similar to Call of Duty.

Halo is not even fun to play anymore. And they didn't change chief from Halo 2 to 3 just added more polished graphics and when they did from Halo CE to 2 they gave an explanation. And yes this is my opinion when I got Halo 2,3, ODST, Wars, heck even Reach I was excited to play it. I was so excited to get 4 because I thought it was gonna be good. But when I played it I was bored and unimpressed. I didn't even feel anything for Chief or Cortana in 4. I was pretty sad when Cortana stayed on High Charity and excited when he found her in 3, but this game I just didn't care I even took my time beating, it I was an achievement whore for this game that's the only reason I finished it.

Perhaps the reason that you weren't excited to play Halo 4 was because of the fact that you have franchise fatigue or perhaps that you are afraid of change? That doesn't make a game bad mate, especially when 343 crafted the best Halo game since the original in terms of story. Funny enough, even the most die-hard fans of Halo - such as myself - couldn't help but praise Halo 4's campaign as the biggest improvement in the series. As anyone can tell you, not many people played Halo solely for the story aspect. Multiplayer was the single thing that kept people coming back to the series and what 343 did was make players care for Cortana and John because they actually had personalities this time around. Master Chief had a total of what, 100 lines in the entire trilogy? The only thing that gave people a reason to care for him were the novels that were released alongside the games that actually fleshed out his character.

The Flood wasn't even mentioned once as if they don't even exist, even though its safe to assume they're still Flood on other Halo rings( which ironically was barely mentioned). And how many sci fi movies do you know where aliens became enemy of man because we were advancing to fast? Well now you know one more. They ruined the way Chief and Cortana looked and what was there excuse for Chief nanites changed his armor why he was sleep. Well why didn't they change it in Halo ce/cea huh. Just another bad excuse to make things worse. Sure Reach said Cortana was made a week before Halo 1 when in 3 she clearly states she watched John grow and picked him out from the other Spartans. Well that is pretty bad but this is worse in a sense. They both contradicted the books but at least Halo Reach still felt like a Halo game and no I'm not just pissed because it wasn't made by Bungie I love Halo Wars that felt like a Halo game more than 4. Halo 3 = Halo 2> Halo CE>Halo Wars=Halo ODST>>Halo Reach>>>>>>>Halo 4

Mate, if you remember correctly, the only way the Flood even escaped into the galaxy was due to the Covenant tampering with the different installations. Once released, they assaulted the Covenant and made their way across the galaxy by hiding aboard their ships and spreading the infection even further. Once the Gravemind was destroyed at the end of Halo 3, all the remaining Flood on the Ark and Installation 04 were wiped out. Now, it's probable that there may be Flood on the remaining installations but they have no possible way of escaping the installations without the aid of outside interaction. Considering that the majority of the Covenant broke apart and the forces we did see in Halo 4 were assumed to be rogue clans, I don't think they'd be stupid enough to release the Flood again considering they only did it under the direction of the Council (who are all dead now).

I apologize if I sounded brash in my response. Have a good one mate!

#9 Posted by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree but respect your opinion since everyone has a different perspective. Personally though? I think 343 is progressing the series in the right ways. I've been a fan of the series since 2007 due to the storyline but always wished there would be character development. Particularly with Chief. I'm quite aware he has a background story in the comics and etc but it's nice seeing him evolve from a protagonist that rarely spoke to someone behind the helmet that feels emotion in the gaming series.

#10 Posted by MonsterStomp (17850 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: Dude I thought Master Chief took care of the flood in Halo 3 or at least rendered them pretty much useless. TBH I don't want to see the Flood again, I want more Forerunner aliens.

#11 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Yes I do know that Halo 4 is made by some Bungie people but that doesn't mean it feels like a Bungie game. Even the reviews for Halo 4 were good but not as good as the Original trilogy. Maybe I was over exaggerating when I said the continuity was worse than Reach, since it's a sequel it adds, but I just didn't get the same kind of excitement when I played Halo 4. And I know about the Flood I'm a die hard Halo fan too but in a game about the Forerunners who's worst enemy was the Flood (or in the Didacts case us,stupid we're there descendants) they weren't mentioned once. Maybe there trying to erase everything Bungie did previously cause it's there time now. And the buttons I wouldn't really know I used Recon for all of Reach. And just because Chief never spoke didn't mean we never cared for him. My friends and I thought Chief was the most badass, badass on the planet, and there where times when we thought something would happen like we see his face or how he talk to gravemind and Arbiter during Halo 2 or when he left her abord High Charity maybe it was my simple 3rd grad mind but we couldn't wait to get to school and discuss it. When I was in 5th grade Halo 3 had come out the summer before we started fifth grade I was all excited to see Chief find Cortana and I felt happy and accomplished when I did it. Halo 4 made me feel the exact opposite. I wasn't affected when Cortana died cause she died in the most horrible way possible know what I'm saying. And the Multiplayer is ok but it's the worst of the Halo games. It's not even in mlg anymore because it's so random and the armor abilities( Reach's fault but it's worse in Halo 4) and it's all based on who has better loadouts now. But I'm not saying it's bad you like Halo 4 and it's not bad that I don't thats why I wanted positive and negative opinions here.

PS whats your Gamer tag

PS sorry I wrote so much I just love talking about Halo

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Yes I do know that Halo 4 is made by some Bungie people but that doesn't mean it feels like a Bungie game. Even the reviews for Halo 4 were good but not as good as the Original trilogy. Maybe I was over exaggerating when I said the continuity was worse than Reach, since it's a sequel it adds, but I just didn't get the same kind of excitement when I played Halo 4. And I know about the Flood I'm a die hard Halo fan too but in a game about the Forerunners who's worst enemy was the Flood (or in the Didacts case us,stupid we're there descendants) they weren't mentioned once.

I fail to see what's wrong with the Prometheans. They offered a fresh change of pace from the Covenant, they boast a history behind them and they gave us some of the best weapons in the Halo universe to play around with. If you knew about the Flood then you'd know why they didn't show up in Halo 4 mate. You think that the UNSC, Covenant or even Prometheans would make the same mistake twice by releasing the flood on the Galaxy again?

Maybe there trying to erase everything Bungie did previously cause it's there time now. And the buttons I wouldn't really know I used Recon for all of Reach. And just because Chief never spoke didn't mean we never cared for him. My friends and I thought Chief was the most badass, badass on the planet, and there where times when we thought something would happen like we see his face or how he talk to gravemind and Arbiter during Halo 2 or when he left her abord High Charity maybe it was my simple 3rd grad mind but we couldn't wait to get to school and discuss it.

My friend, it seems that in this case, you fear change. 343 isn't trying to erase what Bungie did but simply improve and continually add to the universe. If it all remained the same, there would be a massive loss of interest in the series, from a gameplay and story standpoint. Being a "badass" doesn't give John a personality nor does it make up for the lack of one. Of course he's a wicked protagonist but look at the difference between the Bungie trilogy and Halo 4. In almost every review, critics praised the difference in John and Cortana's roles in the game, whereas previously, Halo focused on it's supporting characters to give personality to the series.

And the Multiplayer is ok but it's the worst of the Halo games. It's not even in mlg anymore because it's so random and the armor abilities( Reach's fault but it's worse in Halo 4) and it's all based on who has better loadouts now. But I'm not saying it's bad you like Halo 4 and it's not bad that I don't thats why I wanted positive and negative opinions here.

PS whats your Gamer tag

PS sorry I wrote so much I just love talking about Halo

Worst of the Halo games? Mate, have you played Halo Reach? ;) Oh and Halo 4 will be in MLG but due it's release date, it couldn't be fit into the new season. Before Halo 4 even came out, MLG grabbed all the Halo pro's and live streamed a pre-release event. Every pro there claimed how Halo 4 was as good or even better than Halo 3. Also, I'd have to massively disagree with you on the load-outs. Armour abilities barely come into play, they add to the game but don't become a deciding factor. Halo has always been about skill and strategy. There's no blindly running into battles firing your gun hoping to get a kill. It's about timing your shots, coordinating with your team and knowing when to pick your battles.

Gamertag is SerbianMidget.

#13 Posted by Mekboy (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I'm loving where they're taking the story.

#14 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda agree

#15 Edited by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair Halo hasn't been good since numero uno.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you still get to run around shooting aliens? If so then I don't really see what the big deal is.

#17 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: I don't want the flood to appear I just want them to be mentioned it's like they never existed in Halo 4. The critics praised John and Cortana more but not the overall game more or even as much. And Halo 4 will not be in MLG Black ops 2 came out 1 week after and it's in the tournament . And I do fear change when it comes to a series like Halo. I don't want it to end up like the Sonic series. And Halo barely changed it's gameplay and story formula from Halo 1 to ODST but people still bought the game and you know why because the formula worked and the story was still interesting. Now this is my opinion, when I played Halo 1-ODST(Wars included) I felt a sense of mystery, adventure, and amazement that 4 just didn't give me, with Reach I was still amazed in a sense that I wanted to see how the story unfolded to the end we all know, even though it messed up the Fall of Reach canon with it's bad intersecting story lines the Campaign was still interesting to me though. Maybe I'm outgrowing Halo or something cause Halo 4 just bored me and didn't make me amazed or anything. I guess there's nothing left to do but see how Halo 5 goes( It better not suck lol)

#18 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: The flood was mentioned in the terminal videos. Which also gave a lot of info about some of the forerunners.

#19 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (17273 posts) - - Show Bio

...that's supposed to be a news?

#20 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, Halo has always had a crappy storyline. Halo 2 just punched you in the face with awful and it's continued to get worse from there.