• 59 results
#1 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

Storyline/Plot

While Black Ops II isn't mainly known for its story, but it is known for it's action-packed campaign, and Black Ops II didn't fail to deliver that. Like it's predecessors, it had a lot of impressive explosions and slow-motion first-person cut-scenes in which the player narrowly survives a bullet (or something similar). The story revolves around David Mason, who arrives at "The Vault" (Fallout much?). There are also some other components involving a civil war. All in all, it's not exceptionally emotional, complicated, nor ground-breaking, but it's pretty fun to play through, and the ending is pretty good. However, other factors seem to falter compared to the others, such as soundtracks and overall audio applications.

For Halo 4, we see the years of previous games and lore taking place and developing into one single video game, and everything is fit perfectly, especially the Forward Unto Dawn You-Tube miniseries. The emotions are all there, especially if you know the ending (even more so if you saw the Legendary ending). The story is perfectly crafted, and is full of awesome cut-scenes, and lots of shocking moments. The story mainly revolves around Master Chief, but we see his actions have positive and negative repercussions, and John is really brought to life more. Halo 4 takes this category, mainly due to how long it was developed, well as the surprises/ending, and excellent soundtrack, courtesy of Neil Davidge.

Halo 4 wins.

Halo 4 : 1

Black Ops II : 0

Gameplay

Call of Duty is a game mainly known for it's addicting multiplayer and unique gameplay. Black Ops II didn't disappoint, and the multiplayer is action-packed, fast-paced, and extremely fun. Zombies is as great as ever, with new textures, zombie models, weapons, perks, etc. The game-types aren't too innovative, but are interesting nonetheless. It's a good experience, and might even last after the next Call of Duty game releases. Also, Zombie mode is still the most out-standing feature in Black Ops II, and is easily the most addicting game mode in the Call of Duty franchise, and the future theme really adds on to that. The only other nit-pick I have about this game is how many bugs/glitches it has, which can sometimes ruin gameplay. Hackers are also a problem, especially on PC.

Now let's switch sides to Halo 4. 343 Industries really added a lot of new features and add-ons to make multiplayer interesting, and War Games/Spartan-Ops are both very unique. War Games offers a huge diversity of different game-types, and customize-able maps/game-types. The weapons and gameplay are full of awesome features, such as drop-pods, specializations, and upgrade-able armor/weapons. Everything will capture your attention, and I could see it lasting more than when Halo 5 premieres. They're very few bugs and glitches to ruin the gameplay as well.

Stalemate.

Halo 4 : 2

Black Ops II : 1

Graphics

The interesting thing about Black Ops II, is that it is the first futuristic Call of Duty game, and they had a lot of new textures and models to deal with in 1-2 years. However, I can't help notice that some components are still lacking in improvements, and they still have major aspects that look similar to the past games. The engine is still the same, although I heard that they tweaked it more. All in all, they're aren't huge leaps from the original Black Ops, but there are some, although the futuristic textures and weapons cause the illusion that the graphics improved a huge amount, when they really didn't.

Halo 4, on the other hand, improved vastly on graphics and textures. Almost nothing looked the same, and even minor details were magnificent. The lighting really fits the atmospheres, and everything is just fresh, new, and revolutionized. You can tell they put tons of effort into it, since fine details like the way they pull their gun triggers and visor colors were taken into account. In my opinion, this is the best looking Halo game to date, and is one of the best looking First-Person Shooters ever, second only to Battlefield 3.

Halo 4 wins.

Halo 4 : 3

Lasting Appeal

Black Ops II is good, and pages new directions for the Call of Duty franchise, and is probably the most unique among the bunch of other video games in the series, mainly for it's futuristic theme. I could see Black Ops II lasting more than the other Call of Duty video games, since it's futuristic theme will really let this game shine from the other Call of Duty games. However, there are many other video games similar to Black Ops II, and it isn't very innovative compared to Crysis 3, Battlefield 3, Halo 4, or Borderlands 2. I could see this game lasting for a couple years (which is way more than the average life expectancy of a CoD game), but it won't be marked in history as anything ground-breaking.

With new features, graphics, major storyline jumps, and other huge improvements (not to mention the years of hype this game developed) all adds up to a mile-stone in the Halo franchise, if not the entire First-Person Shooter genre. The achievements and vastly important character development, as well as losses, also helps this game stand out from its predecessors and other generic Sci-Fi video games. Everything is unique, as well as excellently executed, and since this is the first 343 Industries game, I think this will be something 343 will really treasure throughout the decades. If Half-Life 2 can last for years, I'm confident Halo 4 will as well.

Halo 4 wins.

Halo 4 : 4

Sales

Opening Sales (24 hours)

Halo 4 : + $220,000,000

Black Ops II : + $360,000,000

Total Units Sold

Halo 4 : + 3,000,000 copies

Black Ops II : + 1,000,000 copies (midnight launch)

Total Pre-Orders (24 hours)

Halo 4 : + 1,823,316 copies

Black Ops II : + 1,797,016 copies

However, both of Halo 4 and Black Ops II have had their achievements, such as Halo 4 being the one of the most pre-ordered Halo games, and Black Ops II trailing right behind Modern Warfare 3. Right now it may seem too close to call, but we all know how Call of Duty sells.

Black Ops II wins.

Halo 4 : 4

Black Ops II : 2

The Verdict

#2 Posted by _slim_ (13054 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course YOU think Halo 4 wins.

#3 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh damn, I didn't know Halo 4 beat Black Ops II in Pre-order sales. That's interesting...

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd agree with this verdict

#5 Posted by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

Disagree with this entirely.

You cannot go around throwing biased verdicts.

I'll do a full breakdown tomorrow, if I get time.

If not then probably Monday, as I'm busy this weekend.

#6 Posted by _Zombie_ (10322 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't know....Black Ops' campaign definitely had more variety than Halo's

#8 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: You go bro! Speak the truth!

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude... Black Ops is going to murder Halo in regards to sales by a landslide.

#10 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21 said:

Disagree with this entirely.

You cannot go around throwing biased verdicts.

I'll do a full breakdown tomorrow, if I get time.

If not then probably Monday, as I'm busy this weekend.

I tried to make this as unbiased as possible, but criticism is always something good.

@danhimself said:

i don't know....Black Ops' campaign definitely had more variety than Halo's

True, but it just didn't deliver like Halo 4 did, although Halo 4 was a tad bit short.

@ZombieBigfoot said:

YOU CAN'T BE A FAN OF TWO THINGS SIMULTANEOUSLY. IT'S JUST NOT POSSIBLE.

#11 Posted by _Zombie_ (10322 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Landslide's putting it nicely, don't you think?

#12 Posted by _Zombie_ (10322 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Have you BEEN to Tumblr?

#13 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I don't really see it right now, but once it does I'll edit it.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yes, yes it is.

Dude... Have you looked at the sales for previous COD's? Each one has broken records and Halo is only on a single system...

#15 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Have you BEEN to Tumblr?

I'm afraid not.

#16 Posted by _Zombie_ (10322 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: We exist in harmony there. >_>

if you ignore the shipping wars, character arguments, fan rage, in-fighting, and bickering.

#17 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm neutral on this...

#18 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Yes, yes it is.

Dude... Have you looked at the sales for previous COD's? Each one has broken records and Halo is only on a single system...

Yes, but I'll be comparing Xbox only sales as well.

#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: That's a different story entirely, but the majority of sales can be contributed to the Xbox port.

#20 Posted by slacker the hacker (7824 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a weird dream. That all the Halo games from 1 to Reach all got a PS2 and PS3 port.

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker said:

I had a weird dream. That all the Halo games from 1 to Reach all got a PS2 and PS3 port.

XD

#22 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

From what i heard Black Ops 2 sold 1 million units from the midnight launches only.

#23 Posted by slacker the hacker (7824 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@slacker the hacker said:

XD

Lol no but seriously it was like last night I had it.

#24 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

From what i heard Black Ops 2 sold 1 million units from the midnight launches only.

Really? All the sources said that it was in a single day. I'll have to check on that.

#25 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't played COD BO2 yet, but it looks like another COD BO 1 more or less. But I'll wait this weekened, play it to pass judgment. Halo 4 I've played, and I like the fact that finally there's a sprint.

#26 Edited by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I could very well be wrong, i'll see if i can dig up a source.

Edit: Softpedia said this: "GameStop has begun revealing a few statistics about the game’s launch earlier this week on November 13.

According to the retailer, over 1 million copies of Black Ops 2 were sold across its stores around the world at midnight."

#27 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't really settle anything.

#28 Posted by TheSheepHerder (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly apart from the fact that they are first person shooters, they sell like hotcakes and they're critically acclaimed, what similarities do these two franchises even have?

#29 Posted by Strider92 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

Meuh they've both lost my interest. COD is very repetitious in how it plays although the zombie mode is always nice and i'm not buying a Halo game until they start making it for PC again. No way i'm paying for an X-box! PC or gfto lol.

#30 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who has both games and had his fair share of complaints about both

I gotta say Halo 4 is definitely the better game and quite possibly franchise.

Sure the OP is a little biased toward Halo but the facts he made are very valid points.

Halo stepped it up visually, you can compare it to past halo games and notice the difference right away while Blackops 2 you can pretty much take mw3 or black ops 1 and see very tiny differences.

Also the sounds on Black ops 2 are horrible! mw3 still has the better sound effects as far as that aspect goes and Mw3 is made by a different developer.

And those of you who read my thread on how i thought Halo 4 sucked. You already know someone of my negatives for the game and they still stand, but it does not take away the fun aspect of the positives Halo 4's multiplayer has to offer.

Black ops 2 literally feels same! But that's pretty much Call of Dutys formula post-COD4., They try not to change too much so that they can maintain theyre sales without risk of dropping, unfortunately people do buy into the formula and because of that Call of Duty will most likely never change. The only way they can is if people put theyre foot down and stopped buying Call of duty games. THe same thing happened pre 07' when people were TIRED of World War 2 shooters. You literally could not go through a FPS section without seeing one. And Infinity ward knew this. So they switched it up after decreasing sales were presented with Call of duty 3. Medal of honor had announced another WW2 shooter called Airborne, and infinity ward played the wild card and added the modern-day aspect, which toppled Medal of Honor's Airborne good.

They tried something new, they presented a new engine, stepped up in all aspects and at the time was the ONLY game that could compete with Halo 3's multiplayer.

So Call of Duty now pays homage to that aspect by bringing in a futuristic setting, which by all means is interesting for the Capmaign, but the multiplayer didn't present a new engine forumla, the sound effects were bad, and visually stagnant. Black Ops 2 had soo much potential and fell short at a worst time with the gargantum that is Halo 4.

I still have hope one day Call of Duty will have the will to switch things up and go a new direction with they're franchise, maybe with modern warfare 4 they can pull something out of Bf3 or Halo 4s play book by adding vehicles again like in WaW. or add a game mode similar to invasion or rush where the map gets bigger as you and your team does certain objectives in a particular part of the map.

Im not a game developer so i don't know.

But it's clear people we have a dominating winner, and that is HALO 4!! :)

#31 Edited by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: @Deranged Midget: I don't see how sales matter to us since we are not getting any of that money, to me only the game itself and the content and quality in it matters.

#32 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: So update. It was 1 million units from midnight launches, and they've made 500 million so far. Black Ops definitly should win sales

#33 Edited by redbird3rdboywonder (3864 posts) - - Show Bio

Still hate both slthough I'll be geting one of these I suppose

#34 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

This feud will not be settled as long as there are fanboys at each sides.

#35 Edited by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my breakdown:

Storyline goes to Black Ops II because it was engaging and fun, whilst Halo not only was short but shouldn't have existed; Halo 3 was just too good a point to leave it at. I didn't feel attached to the characters as they weren't the ones I've grown to love.

Soundtrack goes to Halo with ease as... well, the soundtracks to any Halo game have been flawless (ODST is my favourite).

Gameplay also goes to Black Ops Multiplayer and the 'other' mode. Put bluntly Halo 4 tried to incorporate Killstreaks and kept the one thing that unbalanced and (in my mind) ruined Halo: Reach. Armour Abilities. That alone sets a sour tone but then trying to explain WHY the multiplayer exists within Universe? Urgh.

Black Ops 2 took what it's predecessor did right and built on it whilst disregarding the worse ideas, Halo did the opposite whilst trying to get more of the Call of Duty crowd interested (and ultimately ended up alienating it's fanbase).

Graphics go to Halo 4 admittedly.

Lasting appeal can be won by neither as Halo 5 is being announced at E3 next year, and Black Ops 2 will be replaced this time next year.

Your pre-order figures are wrong and while Halo did got 1.8 million, Black Ops 2 got 2 million for Xbox ALONE.

---

You cannot tally up votes as this is opinion based but if I had to say then I would go with Black Ops; and I've been playing Halo since Combat Evolved.

As a long standing fan I'm sad to see what Halo has become.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you felt that borderlands was innovative.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#36 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: @Deranged Midget: I don't see how sales matter to us since we are not getting any of that money, to me only the game itself and the content and quality in it matters.

That's a fantastic way to look at it. Reviews, sales, hype does are not my deciding factors. If I'm interesting in the game, I'll pick it up by my own doing.

#37 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty obvious that COD will sell more because it's on two consoles. Halo 4 is better tho.

#38 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Both have there highlights and lowlights I assume. Hopefully i'll get a chance to play them.

#39 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21 said:

Soundtrack goes to Halo with ease as... well, the soundtracks to any Halo game have been flawless (ODST is my favourite).

I literally bought the CD it was so great! literally one of the best albums to listen when it is raining lol

#40 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Ya i also i find it unfair to compare the 2 in terms of sales because Halo has and is xbox exclusive.

Of course the Call of Duty franchise will make more money. And Call of Duty has a more mainstream following, where as Halo is much like Star Was and Lord of the Rings with there own particular cult fan bases(like myself) that buy into the game, where as COD has commercials woth Robert downey junior and famous voice actors in theyre games.

So comparing games with sales determing the overall value is pointless.

And as someone who has both games i can say that Halo is the better game in terms of quality. But more people will flcok to COD in terms of content and familiar unchanged aspects. which i find odd, but to each their own.

#41 Posted by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

@Pwok21 said:

I literally bought the CD it was so great! literally one of the best albums to listen when it is raining lol

ODST had an amazingly beautiful score at times.

Staff
#42 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_ said:

Because it does.

#43 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

As someone who has both games and had his fair share of complaints about both

I gotta say Halo 4 is definitely the better game and quite possibly franchise.

Sure the OP is a little biased toward Halo but the facts he made are very valid points.

Halo stepped it up visually, you can compare it to past halo games and notice the difference right away while Blackops 2 you can pretty much take mw3 or black ops 1 and see very tiny differences.

Also the sounds on Black ops 2 are horrible! mw3 still has the better sound effects as far as that aspect goes and Mw3 is made by a different developer.

And those of you who read my thread on how i thought Halo 4 sucked. You already know someone of my negatives for the game and they still stand, but it does not take away the fun aspect of the positives Halo 4's multiplayer has to offer.

Black ops 2 literally feels same! But that's pretty much Call of Dutys formula post-COD4., They try not to change too much so that they can maintain theyre sales without risk of dropping, unfortunately people do buy into the formula and because of that Call of Duty will most likely never change. The only way they can is if people put theyre foot down and stopped buying Call of duty games. THe same thing happened pre 07' when people were TIRED of World War 2 shooters. You literally could not go through a FPS section without seeing one. And Infinity ward knew this. So they switched it up after decreasing sales were presented with Call of duty 3. Medal of honor had announced another WW2 shooter called Airborne, and infinity ward played the wild card and added the modern-day aspect, which toppled Medal of Honor's Airborne good.

They tried something new, they presented a new engine, stepped up in all aspects and at the time was the ONLY game that could compete with Halo 3's multiplayer.

So Call of Duty now pays homage to that aspect by bringing in a futuristic setting, which by all means is interesting for the Capmaign, but the multiplayer didn't present a new engine forumla, the sound effects were bad, and visually stagnant. Black Ops 2 had soo much potential and fell short at a worst time with the gargantum that is Halo 4.

I still have hope one day Call of Duty will have the will to switch things up and go a new direction with they're franchise, maybe with modern warfare 4 they can pull something out of Bf3 or Halo 4s play book by adding vehicles again like in WaW. or add a game mode similar to invasion or rush where the map gets bigger as you and your team does certain objectives in a particular part of the map.

Im not a game developer so i don't know.

But it's clear people we have a dominating winner, and that is HALO 4!! :)

\o/

We are dominating this sh!tty kids game!

#44 Posted by laflux (14251 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say that while BLOPS2 and HALO 4 are both good games, COD MW2 and Halo 2 will always have a special place in my heart.

#45 Posted by thveej (203 posts) - - Show Bio

People shouldn't compare games like this. It's an Apple and Oranges comparison.  

It's the equivalent of me starting a thread saying which ongoing is better Batman or ASM ? Batman or Fantastic Four? ASM or Uncanny X-force?  Batman or Swamp Thing? Different taste, different answers. 

If you can only get one game, then go read reviews and see whats important to you. If you like Sci fi shooters with co op and more strategic FPS game play go with Halo; if you like military shooters, explosions, player choice in SP, fast paced shooting gallery and Zombie mode go Black ops.  

You should never compare sales in this context, one is a xbox exclusive, the other a multi platform game sales are gonna vary dramatically. 

My personal preference is Halo 4. Great graphic, good SP, really fun game play that's not just shoot faster than the other people and MP that I can actually play and not repeatedly die. Like many people have said, this is the biggest upgrade in Halo, and lot of good work has been done to make it a great game. 

But I played a ton of halo before, so I'm biased towards it. Black ops 2 single player is really good though, the player choice stuff is pretty amazing, but I have no interest in Zombies or COD style multiplayer where you only live for 10 seconds before getting shot by a guy who is way superior to you. I do think the graphic for COD games is pretty stagnant at this point also  

Honestly at this point if you play video games, you should know which one of these 2 games you prefer more, they're pretty much the same game as the games that came before (during the last 10 years) with new bells and whistles........

#46 Posted by _slim_ (13054 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpoolrules said:

@_slim_ said:

Because it does.

#47 Posted by nickzambuto (12979 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa, YNCG picked Halo. What a crazy world.

#48 Posted by YoungJustice (6682 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think that COD had better in-game graphics, and that Halo 4 dominated in cinematics.

#49 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio

Shooters are meh to be but I have to say I prefer Halo 4

#50 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been playing halo since Halo 2 and Call of Duty since Cod 3. I can personally say that Halo 4(and halo games in general) offered a much better experience than BLops 2. The multiplayer feels the same and, as many have said, the graphics didn't exactly revolutionize the series. The campaign was a Call of Duty campaign: nothing too amazing, but still offered a few interesting points. Halo's campaign was admittedly short. But the surprises and character development made the entire thing worth it. I became really disappointed with BLops 2 when it comes to their Zombies mode. We can't have it all anymore: Grief is pretty crappy and uninteresting, especially on such small maps. Survival is usually met with boredom and a lack of PaP and a limited amount of perks. Went down? You're S.O.L. Tranzit is as close to original zombies as one can get, but I hate that the bus can leave people behind: we should be able to initiate its departure ourselves.