Halloween costumes people should stop wearing?

• 78 results
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

• Ninja outfits: Everyone wears basically the exact same thing. It's like they all bought them from the same store. Why can't they just mix it up? To be clear, I don't mean DON'T wear them, but if you will, stop being so unoriginal with them. Look up some real life ninja. You see the first one? Yeah, everyone wears that.

I saw one that was pretty authentic-looking years ago. It didn't look like something you could buy at the store, either.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:

@edblank:

No. Why would they're height need to be mentioned in a conversation anyways.

This is gonna tricky:

Would you treat them that way if you DID need to mention their height?

(If no)

Then logically and morally this would be the same as not offending people in other ways, including not dressing up as some cartoonish version of them and walking around in public.

(If yes)

You're being rude for no reason (same with the blackface costumes and such)

I would ask what they would like to be referred as. A midget, little person, dwarf and so on. Whichever they picked, I would call them.

Why does black face have to be cartoonish? That's what some characters look like. They are black. If I dress up as Django I'm going to want black face to complete the costume. I have a few black friends and none of them are offended by black face. They think it's hilarious. If you're offended by black face than I think you're part of the problem. Remember White Chicks? Absolutely no one had a problem with 2 black guys dressed up as 2 white women.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@static_shock: Well, that's cool I guess, but what I mean is that, there's no depth to the outfits. They aren't intricate. If there's anything to look at, you've already seen it.

I've never seen anyone take a creative spin on the outfit, like this:

WARNING! Ninjas. And Lego. But just look at that torso tho.

There's so much happening here. So much layers to it...
There's so much happening here. So much layers to it...

You can still tell it's a ninja, but it's different.
You can still tell it's a ninja, but it's different.

Tell me you've seen people wearing these. I used those examples instead of real ninja, because I've literally never in my life seen a real life person make and wear these suits, or anything close. And the sad thing is, people CAN. They're just lazy. Except that authentic you were talking about.

But being legit isn't good enough. Everyone was below average. That person was just average. You need to put in that effort to go beyond. And, you could wear this stuff at conventions, not just for Halloween, and win every time.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#54  Edited By black_wreath

@black_wreath said:

@dum529001: Well aren't you the life of the party... ^_^

I surely am. I can have lots of fun without participating in something as bad as halloween.

Au-contraire Fun Police, Halloween is harmless and the evidence you supplied points to you being quite the party pooper.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:

@edblank:

This is gonna tricky:

(If no)

Then logically and morally this would be the same as not offending people in other ways, including not dressing up as some cartoonish version of them and walking around in public.

(If yes)

I would ask what they would like to be referred as. A midget, little person, dwarf and so on. Whichever they picked, I would call them.

Why does black face have to be cartoonish? That's what some characters look like. They are black. If I dress up as Django I'm going to want black face to complete the costume. I have a few black friends and none of them are offended by black face. They think it's hilarious. If you're offended by black face than I think you're part of the problem. Remember White Chicks? Absolutely no one had a problem with 2 black guys dressed up as 2 white women.

Think of me as the little person. I don't like it cause: reasons. Why are you trying to psychoanalyze my reasons? Do you quiz the little people about their preference?

So anyway: you're just rude to certain people. Not because of height. Other reasons.

You are definitely the problem.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:
@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:

@edblank:

This is gonna tricky:

(If no)

(If yes)

Think of me as the little person. I don't like it cause: reasons. Why are you trying to psychoanalyze my reasons? Do you quiz the little people about their preference?

So anyway: you're just rude to certain people. Not because of height. Other reasons.

You are definitely the problem.

That doesn't make any sense. You don't like what as the little person? I wouldn't quiz them about their preference unless it was part of the topic the person and I were discussing. I'm not looking to deliberately anyone. There should be no problem in using blackface to complete a costume unless the costume itself is racist.

That describes the entire human population. Everyone is rude to someone at some point be it on purpose or by accident.

Uptight people who are offended by the sun rising are the problem.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't think of anything that bothers me.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve :

It's okay, man. I told you it would be hard for you to understand.

Painting your face black and going outside is offensive to a significant percentage of the normal people (even 1 of 10 is significant). It would be like going around with my ass crack out and saying "Why do you care what I do with my ass crack?"

Don't worry your head. I have no illusion of my words seeping into your mind. I just wrote to you in case anyone who can understand is reading.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: So, you're totally cool with the stripper who comes to your door? Or the fifth Darth vader in an hour?

There's gotta be something. Or you're surprisingly chill.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Noone301994

@gamejutsu: Yeah that doesn't really bother me at all. Especially the stripper LOL. There are things that exist that do bother me, but certain Halloween costumes just don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Vote for Pedro shirts

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley Quinn. It's like having Hot Topic employees everywhere.

PatriotBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I'm not getting. When did the Right to Not Be Offended happen? Sure, there are things I find offensive, but it goes with Free Speech. There ARE things that are illegal, just bad taste isn't illegal.

I, for one, wouldn't be impressed if someone went as, heck I dunno, a flaming gay Jesus or something, but I wouldn't say anything about it. As far as the term "midget" or others, it's rude, and offensive to me, and almost certainly a little person, but it's not a right for the little person to have it not be said to or around them. Just my opinion.

Btw. @dum529001 over the centuries Hallowe'en has been used to signify lots of things, one of which was by the Catholic Church call All Saints Day, and was meant to honor the dead. Then November 1, was changed to All Hallows Day, because they were trying to "wash over" the pagan holiday of honoring the dead, and helping their spirits rest. So, Dec 31 became known as All Hallows Eve, shortened eventually to Hallowe'en. So it's not so cut and dried and simple as you make it out to be. Further, (except by some modern people) it never ever been a day for Devil Worship.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

@pokeysteve :

Painting your face black and going outside is offensive to a significant percentage of the normal people (even 1 of 10 is significant). It would be like going around with my ass crack out and saying "Why do you care what I do with my ass crack?"

Don't worry your head. I have no illusion of my words seeping into your mind. I just wrote to you in case anyone who can understand is reading.

It's called an opinion. You write like your words are law. The only thing I don't really understand is this superiority complex you have. And no, I wouldn't be offended by yours or anyone else's ass crack. No one is forced to look at it or be near it.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

@pokeysteve :

It's called an opinion. You write like your words are law. The only thing I don't really understand is this superiority complex you have. And no, I wouldn't be offended by yours or anyone else's ass crack. No one is forced to look at it or be near it.

Opinion is this:

I like red. No one car argue that cause if you like red you like red.

Statement of fact:

Global warming is happening. You can believe it or not, but it's not up to opinion. You get out a thermometer and you measure it. No opinion required, just right and wrong.

Our little chat kind of mixes the two. The Opinion part would be "I personally don't like blackface" the fact part would be "X percentage of people find this offensive"

So as to WHY we don't like it.. pull up a chair. I am sure it's a long story.

As to IF we don't like it: we don't. It's a fact.

So here you come "They shouldn't dislike this. I personally like it" That's the rude part.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:
@edblank said:

@pokeysteve :

Opinion is this:

Statement of fact:

Global warming is happening. You can believe it or not, but it's not up to opinion. You get out a thermometer and you measure it. No opinion required, just right and wrong.

Our little chat kind of mixes the two. The Opinion part would be "I personally don't like blackface" the fact part would be "X percentage of people find this offensive"

So here you come "They shouldn't dislike this. I personally like it" That's the rude part.

Yeah, but the problem is the framing of the blame for global warming. You cannot prove humans have anything to do with it. It would be ignorant to argue that it isn't happening, the argument is in its potential effects and in what the cause is/was.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dum529001

@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:
@edblank said:

@pokeysteve :

Opinion is this:

Statement of fact:

Global cooling is also happening.

Chloroflourocarbons(CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), Perfluorocarbons (PFCs), as well as sulfur hexafluoride (SF6). break up ozone gases. Ozone is who of the greenhouse gases that shields earth from extra solar radiation.

Carbon dioxide is also a greenhouse gas which protects the earth from extra amounts of solar radiation.

The climate of the earth is changing. That's why the problem is no longer referred to as "global warming" but is now called "climate change".

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By CitizenSentry

@dbvse7 said:

IMO.. The "Sexy Cat" costume.. it's SOOO overdone. Any girl that thinks she's the sh!t can pull that off lol. There's just nothing creative about it.

No Caption Provided

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green

If I think people caused it, this is not an opinion it is a statement of fact.

Either people caused it or they didn't. We may not be able to determine, but the cause is still the cause.

So statement of fact = right or wrong

Opinion = no way to quantify (other than "yes, you do like red")

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:
@pokeysteve said:
@edblank said:

@pokeysteve :

Opinion is this:

Statement of fact:

Global cooling is also happening.

Chloroflourocarbons(CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), Perfluorocarbons (PFCs), as well as sulfur hexafluoride (SF6). break up ozone gases. Ozone is who of the greenhouse gases that shields earth from extra solar radiation.

Carbon dioxide is also a greenhouse gas which protects the earth from extra amounts of solar radiation.

The climate of the earth is changing. That's why the problem is no longer referred to as "global warming" but is now called "climate change".

Sweet. I was just pulling an example out of my azz. But everything you just said here: these would be statements of fact. They are either true or false.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

@avatar_of_green

Either people caused it or they didn't. We may not be able to determine, but the cause is still the cause.

Your logic is not following. If you think people caused it, it is an opinion. If you knowpeople caused it, then it is a statement of fact.

If you think people caused it, that's great, but the Earth's environment isn't a closed system and unless you're omniscient you can't possibly scientifically prove the cause of global warming is solely due to humanity's actions or if you could, you couldn't determine how much fault they should take in any meaningful way. In fact, there's an incrediblechance that many planetary and cosmic factors besides our paltry society have combined to contribute to the warming of the environment. That's a fact, my friend.

Also, a statement of fact = right or wrong... that seems false to me. A statement can be right or wrong, true or false. A fact is simply true if I'm not mistaken.

You're out of your league here, my friend. I wrote a dissertation on this exact subject in college at Ohio State. You will never prove factually that humans are responsible for global warming.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sugar skulls/Day of The Dead I saw so many chicks do this, this year. DONE.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghostface

It's getting old

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

@avatar_of_green

Your logic is not following. If you think people caused it, it is an opinion. If you knowpeople caused it, then it is a statement of fact.

If you think people caused it, that's great, but the Earth's environment isn't a closed system and unless you're omniscient you can't possibly scientifically prove the cause of global warming is solely due to humanity's actions or if you could, you couldn't determine how much fault they should take in any meaningful way. In fact, there's an incrediblechance that many planetary and cosmic factors besides our paltry society have combined to contribute to the warming of the environment. That's a fact, my friend.

Also, a statement of fact = right or wrong... that seems false to me. A statement can be right or wrong, true or false. A fact is simply true if I'm not mistaken.

You're out of your league here, my friend. I wrote a dissertation on this exact subject in college at Ohio State. You will never prove factually that humans are responsible for global warming.

You are just plain and simple wrong. If someone steals your car stereo is that a fact or an opinion? What if you never find out who did it? They still did it. If only that one person ever knows, the facts are still the facts.

I can come up with an answer and said answer is factually right or wrong. Even if no one ever can prove or disprove it. Objectively the facts are the facts no matter what we can prove.

Your professor must have been slow. You have no idea what you're writing.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Or maybe you just accidently walked in on a KKK convention.

Bit late reply, but it was mainly college people so the costumes had to be edgy. Pretty much all the major religions and cultures were parodied somehow.