• 66 results
#51 Posted by TifaLockhart (14157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll always fear sea monsters. Always.

#52 Posted by HeckTate (1422 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@joygirl: Oh. Yeah, that one was slow. The ones I've read that I actually liked were The Colour Out Of Space and At The Mountains Of Madness, and even they tend to lag a bit (especially the latter).

No shame in not liking his work- Lovecraft isn't for everyone.

"Mountains" is one of his best, but for one with a faster pace "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is great. Also "Herbert West: Reanimator" is an excellent telling of a classic concept, obviously reanimation. Like a lot of Lovecraft, it's more a psychological descent than anything, even with creepy Frankenstein things involved.

#53 Posted by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate: Oh, forgot about Shadow Over Innsmouth. That one's pretty good too.

#54 Posted by sabracadabra (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

Cool Air is a good story. The Cthulhu stuff is kinda cool. Otherwise he is pretty meh for me.

Cool Air is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, along with Re-Animator and Arthur Jermyn. I am probably in minority, but i actually like his lesser known stories more than his more famous , Cthulhu stories.

#55 Edited by JwwProd (10531 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl:

LET HE HEARD YOU SAY THAT WORD THOSE WORDS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#56 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that his paragraphs can often be lengthy, lofty, and full of exposition - but that's part of his charm. Like Le Carre, he adopts a very dense and detailed style of storytelling which might be off-putting to some, but his work had a number of innovative concepts that still influence greats like Stephen King and Neil Gaiman, to name a few.

#57 Posted by consolemaster001 (6078 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, everyone is titled to their opinion but I often can't stand when someone claims that a person "sucks" yet fails to produce anything notable in the same field. For instance, a person that can't draw anything claiming an artist "sucks".

I mean really, in the annals of history he is remembered as an influential horror author and you are remembered for nothing. So, I guess by conventional definition, you suck.

#59 Posted by RogueShadow (11883 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

#60 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

You've only read all the way through one short story and you're saying he sucks as a writer? He does tend to over-explain himself with extremely lengthy sentences, but it has more to do with his writing style than his actual ability to write. If you don't like the way it's written that's fine, but it's just dependent on personal taste.

#61 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34938 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait.... what?

#62 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say he spoke his mind and knew what freedom really is supposed to be about.

Today we have weak liberals who don't know what freedom is. They need to leave America.

#63 Posted by NukeA6 (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone actually said Lovecraft sucks? Let's hope I'm seeing things because such heresy cannot exist.

#64 Posted by Z3RO180 (6706 posts) - - Show Bio

BIG WHO cares

#65 Posted by Mxyzptlk_CV (1179 posts) - - Show Bio

H.P. Lovecraft is great

#66 Posted by JwwProd (10531 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Well personally I don't think you've read alot Lovecraft's work.

He has written amazing stories and as other viners have said he inspired a lot of other awesome writer like Neil Gaiman, Stephen King etc.

Has has also created some of the best and most powerful characters ever I mean look at Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, etc.

But then again it is your opinion after all ;)

though I agree that he was a racist but do you know who's more racist? two words "Holly" Wood"!