Guest Characters in fighting games

Transmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Transmetal

It seems to be a trend that Soulcalibur 2 started. Street Fighter X Tekken's PS3 Version will have Cole MacGrath as a special guest star, MK 2011 has Kratos and Freddy Krueger, and Soulcalibur V has unannounced guests....some people like these while others feel the slots could be filled with orignal characters or characters previously estalbished in thise set series...I wanna hear some thoughts along with possible characters that need to be in a game like these
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Guess stars aren't too bad. But only if it's a character with actual moves and not just a skin over another character with the same moves.

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GTG12

I like guest stars but they have to actually be good and original.
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By fesak  Moderator

There's been a few before SCII, Akuma in X-Men: CotA and Gon in Tekken 3 comes to mind.
 I think it's okay when the character actually fits in with the rest of the cast like Kratos did in Soul Calibur. He easily fits with greek mythology already present.
Not so okay when they don't. While Vader and Yoda were awesome to play as in SCIV they didn't fit in at all, and deteriorate from the overall game.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like it as long as the characters fight the way you'd expect them to. For example in Mortal Kombat vs DC (Not technically guest stars, but whatever) the DC Guys, with the possible exception of Batman didn't play anything like  I would have expected. They were instead just pretty much DC skins on MK bodies, and slow stodgy 3D MK at that . The story line was nice, but I think anyone who uses the story line as the basis of whether or not a 2 player fighting game is good is kind of missing the point. 

Transmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Transmetal
@Do I have to give a name?
I was actually thinking of that, Lex Luthor played a lot like Sektor and if they gave Flash hookswords he would have been Kabal