#1 Posted by Xcalibur (171 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, I didn't want to put this in the GTA thread because this is a whole different discussion. Watch:

It's true, I notice japanese gamers aren't too much into GTA or Shooters. Its mostly about RPG or card games. But do you think they will eventually open to this genre?

#2 Posted by Pro_Nelson (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know what they are missing man xD !

#3 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

The Japanese are too smart and industrious for that nonsense.

:D

#4 Posted by Huntington_Falls (519 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this was the case in 2008. GTA 5 hasnt been released yet in Japan so maybe this time around it'll do alittle better. Then again maybe not. I dont think it matters much though to be honest.

#5 Edited by MaccyD (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Western games aren't successful in Japan. The only major release (here anyway) that was moderately successful in Japan was Skyrim. They enjoy shooters just not the same as westerners, they prefer Resident Evil and Yakuza (Similar concept to GTA actually) so saying they don't like the genre is pretty untrue.

IMO though typical Japanese prefer more genres over typical western games (at least sales-wise).

Edit: How could I forget Metal Gear Solid! Idiot me!

#7 Posted by Xcalibur (171 posts) - - Show Bio

GTA V sells 1 Billion copies! Suck it Japan

#8 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (16897 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Keiji Inafune once explained that wide open sandbox are unsuccessful in Japan due to with the Japanese desire to be guided. When you can do anything you want to, the world is completely open to you. So... what DO you want to do? You suddenly find yourself paralyzed, you can't figure out where to go next. You wander aimlessly, sometimes for hours, until you're able to find a goal. I guess that is why games like Western non-linear games don't make very good in Japan.

#9 Posted by Immortal777 (5856 posts) - - Show Bio

GTA V made 800 million in the first 24 hours of release it'll be fine without Japan.

#10 Posted by Vaeternus (8278 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not surprised, Japan typically doesn't feel the same way towards Western Gaming. Could be GTA, MK, Condemned, Halo etc These games do well all over the world except Japan...

Fortunately these games do well enough in the rest of the world so...

#11 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised. Cultural differences and all that. Same reason some games excel over seas but flop once they get into the U.S.

#12 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised. Cultural differences and all that. Same reason some games excel over seas but flop once they get into the U.S.

#13 Posted by superstay (9373 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Keiji Inafune once explained that wide open sandbox are unsuccessful in Japan due to with the Japanese desire to be guided. When you can do anything you want to, the world is completely open to you. So... what DO you want to do? You suddenly find yourself paralyzed, you can't figure out where to go next. You wander aimlessly, sometimes for hours, until you're able to find a goal. I guess that is why games like Western non-linear games don't make very good in Japan.

I can somewhat understand that....

I think that might play into the culture. Maybe the fact that the Western world has more of a 'The more freedom, the better' attitude. Where as, the Easterners don't really view it that highly.

I not saying they don't want freedom. But, it's not as highly valued as it is here in the West (at least when it comes to video games). Western gamers like being able to do whatever they want in a game. That's one of the reasons GTA V (as well as the whole series) is so successful here.

However, Eastern gamers seem to like a more linear driven game. They want a goal to drive them through the game.

d^_^b

#14 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7750 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what they want in Japan

#15 Posted by JediXMan (27903 posts) - - Show Bio

Japan isn't too big on shooters.

The US isn't too big on JRPG games.

Just how it goes.

#16 Edited by Vaeternus (8278 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, in a nutshell the way it is. Japan is just not huge on American games for whatever reason, and vice versa in some cases.

#17 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

The US isn't too big on JRPG games.

Just how it goes.

Tell that to Pokémon! :P

#18 Posted by darkazrael999 (3671 posts) - - Show Bio

@xcalibur said:

I think it made a Billion dollars not sell 1 billion copies.

#19 Posted by Xcalibur (171 posts) - - Show Bio

@xcalibur said:

LOL! I feel stupid, sorry.

At least you guys are a lot more nicer than those jerks posting on YT.

#20 Posted by darkazrael999 (3671 posts) - - Show Bio

@xcalibur said:

@darkazrael999 said:

@xcalibur said:

LOL! I feel stupid, sorry.

At least you guys are a lot more nicer than those jerks posting on YT.

Ah YouTube! It is the realm of the Trolls. Kinda like Jottenheim but with trolls instead of frost-giants! :D

#21 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just picturing Shinji Ikari trying to order at Subway, falling to his knees screaming in psychological agony because nothing in his life has prepared him for the true infinitum now in his palms, and slowly realizing that seppuku with a bread knife is the only option.

#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct said:

I'm just picturing Shinji Ikari trying to order at Subway, falling to his knees screaming in psychological agony because nothing in his life has prepared him for the true infinitum now in his palms, and slowly realizing that seppuku with a bread knife is the only option.

@fadetoblackbolt

#23 Posted by Deadite (16812 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct said:

Ahhh Evangelion. Can't explain the feeling to see someone expressing themselves through characters in one of my favorite franchise.

#24 Posted by Dabee (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really see how this couldn't fit in the GTA thread. I know you said it's different, but it's really not... :/

#25 Posted by Mekboy (996 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Xcalibur (171 posts) - - Show Bio