consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By consolemaster001

my list

Ancient Macedonian army (under alexander)

Arab army -- 7th-9th centuries

Ottoman Army -- 15th-18 centuries

The golden horde (mongol army)

French army -- Early 19th century

Roman army -- (1th century bc)

German Wehrmacht -- WW2 (conquered almost all of europe and fought against 15+ countries)

Aaaand lastly :

Bruxae -- Forever

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Me.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By warlock360

Assyria's definitely missing. And Egypt under the rule of Ramses II.

TheArtOfRuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spartans from 700 bc - 500 bc

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Army of the dead.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mongol

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

History, not the world!!!!

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mamluks were heavy duty...look them up, they battered the Mongols and Crusaders. Also Muslim army under Salah Ah-Deen (not the same as Arab!).

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

You should do a fictional army version.

henrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By henrik

The Red army.

They were indestructible and ruthless.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I would add Hannibal's army during his invasion of the Italian continent circa 218-215 BC. Wiped out several roman armies and was basically undefeated for 16 years.

Attila the Hun's army was largely undefeated as well.

The Frankish army under Charlemange.

Prussian Army from 1700-1786 and again from 1835-1918 (German army after 1870)

Spanish army in the 16th centry during the Reconquista

I'd also mention the Hang, Ming and Qing dynasty's of China - as he had a powerful military during the height of their respective powers'

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Assyrians...sometimes

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Galactic Empire

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The United States Army - All Times.

No Caption Provided

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dabee

Leave Nazis out of anything with the word "greatest," it's just stupid. They really weren't even that powerful, they were led by morons.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dabee said:

Leave Nazis out of anything with the word "greatest," it's just stupid. They really weren't even that powerful, they were led by morons.

lol. Hitler might have been one of the biggest assholes in the history of humankind, but you're ignorant to make that statement. The Wehrmacht had some of the best commanders and soldiers of their time and to dismiss their military accomplishments because you don't agree with their ideals is stupid.

Furthermore the armed forces of Germany, the Heer (Army), Luftwaffe (Air Firce) and Kreigsmarine's (Navh) war crimes were nothing in comparison to the SS, which committed most of them. In fact I'd go so far as to say they probably committed no more than any Allied Army and especially the Red Army did.

Bottom line, the Wehrmacht revolutionized warfare on land, sea and air. You cannot argue that, period.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Mongols

Huns

Spartans

Zande

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dabee

@fallschirmjager: I like how you say "don't agree with their ideals" like it's just an opinion. Anyone who agrees with their ideals is a complete moron, so to at all give it a sense of credibility is ridiculous.

All that I'm saying is that using any word like "great" to describe Nazis is ridiculous. Hitler was actually tremendously stupid, and let relatively weak forces. They were ruthless, not talented.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dabee said:

@fallschirmjager: I like how you say "don't agree with their ideals" like it's just an opinion. Anyone who agrees with their ideals is a complete moron, so to at all give it a sense of credibility is ridiculous.

All that I'm saying is that using any word like "great" to describe Nazis is ridiculous. Hitler was actually tremendously stupid, and let relatively weak forces. They were ruthless, not talented.

And you clearly know nothing about military history and are just here to cry about the fact that the someone mentioned the word Wehrmacht. Like it or not, history doesn't lie. And their military accomplishments speak for themselves. What their motives were are not being discussed here.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee:

Hitler may have been a bad person but you can't ignore the fact that they were a powerful army. I'm pretty sure they mean "Greatest" as in powerful.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Pyrogram

@dabee said:

Yes....they were. They were one of the greatest military forces the world has ever known. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mongols

Romans

Macedonians

Samurais

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

From what I've seen in my experience (outside of the US Armed Forces obviously) the British, Australian, and Polish forces are pretty well trained.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KnightRise

@edamame: *sigh* if only someone liked Hitler's art... :P

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

America is the greatest spender, that's for sure.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Bruxae is certainly the greatest. But the Golden Horde is a close second.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be argued that it is over expenditure, I won't debate against that. But I've worked with many men and women from all branches. I will not call them all "great" or "the best". I've, quite honestly, met many douchey, unintelligent people in the military (officer and enlisted) and in the military industrial complex. But most service people are very, very good at what they do and very committed. At least the people I have had a close working relationship with. The spending alone doesn't buy dedication, which is what a volunteer force helps build.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader said:

It could be argued that it is over expenditure, I won't debate against that. But I've worked with many men and women from all branches. I will not call them all "great" or "the best". I've, quite honestly, met many douchey, unintelligent people in the military (officer and enlisted) and in the military industrial complex. But most service people are very, very good at what they do and very committed. At least the people I have had a close working relationship with. The spending alone doesn't buy dedication, which is what a volunteer force helps build.

I was really just commenting on the fact that the US is if not the current biggest spender of their military is certainly up on the list. Wasn't necessarily saying that that made it the "best" or the "greatest". But how big of a budget a country spends on their military is a factor into how "good" they might be, as far as what money can buy.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier said:

I was really just commenting on the fact that the US is if not the current biggest spender of their military is certainly up on the list. Wasn't necessarily saying that that made it the "best" or the "greatest". But how big of a budget a country spends on their military is a factor into how "good" they might be, as far as what money can buy.

I know, I should have continued with what I was saying, but I was lazy. A lot of that spending goes into the training of personnel. It was in six figures just to train me for my basic job, which was TACP. When I elevated to it's SpOps variant, JTAC, it was that much more. Then you consider training our Tier One level operators (CAG, DevGro, the 24th STS) can be upwards of a million per troop. It doesn't all go into tomahawk missiles and jets. Not saying you didn't know this, but the quality of people you turn out is equivalent to what you put in. "Garbage in, garbage out" as the saying goes (not calling our people garbage, but you get what I'm saying). There is absolutely military wasteful expenditures, though. The military and the government could save itself a lot of money if it re-vamped it's spending practices. I will be the first to vouch for that.

Spending does not always equal quality though. I've seen that first hand. A jamming weapon is a perfect example...

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really doubt armies from thousands of years ago can compete with the advanced technique and training of most modern militia, let alone the difference in weaponry. Maybe a Spartan was a bit tougher than a Marine, but the modern man still wins since he knows what he's doing.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I really doubt armies from thousands of years ago can compete with the advanced technique and training of most modern militia, let alone the difference in weaponry. Maybe a Spartan was a bit tougher than a Marine, but the modern man still wins since he knows what he's doing.

Haha, a 300 reboot where one A-10 gun run is the whole movie. The "Three Second War".

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I think you pretty much missed the point of the thread. It says "in history" which means you're suppose to look at each military during the time it existed.

This isn't a battle thread.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I think you pretty much missed the point of the thread. It says "in history" which means you're suppose to look at each military during the time it existed.

No, the OP is simply asking which army in all of history is the greatest. Most people are listing armies from thousands of years ago, which I find ridiculous.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Yes, because several of the ones listed conquered entire countries and continents which clearly makes them worthless, right?

Again. This isn't a battle thread. No one is asking who would win Alexander's army vs the US army of today.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier said:

I know, I should have continued with what I was saying, but I was lazy. A lot of that spending goes into the training of personnel. It was in six figures just to train me for my basic job, which was TACP. When I elevated to it's SpOps variant, JTAC, it was that much more. Then you consider training our Tier One level operators (CAG, DevGro, the 24th STS) can be upwards of a million per troop. It doesn't all go into tomahawk missiles and jets. Not saying you didn't know this, but the quality of people you turn out is equivalent to what you put in. "Garbage in, garbage out" as the saying goes (not calling our people garbage, but you get what I'm saying). There is absolutely military wasteful expenditures, though. The military and the government could save itself a lot of money if it re-vamped it's spending practices. I will be the first to vouch for that.

Spending does not always equal quality though. I've seen that first hand. A jamming weapon is a perfect example...

I see.

That is true.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Yes, because several of the ones listed conquered entire countries and continents which clearly makes them worthless, right?

Again. This isn't a battle thread. No one is asking who would win Alexander's army vs the US army of today.

I think it is a battle. OP is clearly asking which is the greatest army in history, in which case the modern US army is clearly superior to, say the Spartans.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@nickzambuto: lol.

Did you read the post he made? He listed off several great armies. Made no mention of them combating one another. He didn't set up rules, a battleground and this thread isn't in the battle section.

Nothing suggests its a battle thread.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you read the post he made? He listed off several great armies. Made no mention of them combating one another. He didn't set up rules, a battleground and this thread isn't in the battle section.

Well if that's what you think Mr. lol than good luck.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@fallschirmjager said:

No, the OP is simply asking which army in all of history is the greatest. Most people are listing armies from thousands of years ago, which I find ridiculous.

It's funny how much you've misunderstood this topic haha

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

Well if that's what you think Mr. lol than good luck.

Greatest armieS in history.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, a modern army would crush an ancient one technology wise. If you take the armies listed relative to their time period they are great. You take them and compare to a modern army it is quite silly, unless we are talking strategy and tactics in which some things have carried through history others given technology are unneeded.