• 53 results
#1 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s a phrase that unsurprisingly, you will hear often.

“Today’s cartoons suck!”

“Man stuff we had was better.”

Blah blah, you heard it from your parents; your kids will hear it from you and so on and so forth. But good cartoons exist in any time; I’m here to make a case for one. A little gem that can be found on the Disney channel, yes I know red flag already. Disney is written off as just a kiddy station and for the cartoon geeks it is seen as a station, well for one doesn’t play cartoons and has been creatively stagnant with its teen sitcoms with their cut and paste jokes, and that is true. But Disney did have you on its side with shows like Kim Possible, Recess, Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck. Don’t give up hope, Disney can still make them and for your consideration, I give you Gravity Falls.

Debuting in June of last year, Gravity Falls is story of twelve year old twins “Dipper” and Mabel Pines who have been to spend some time with Great Uncle Stan, who is the owner of the Mystery Shack, a tourist trap museum in Oregon that is centered on cryptids and urban legends. One day, Dipper stumbles upon and old journal that explains that things in the world are not what they appear.

The Show has many strong points that would interest anyone:

First off, the most important point, the writing. Gravity Falls was created by Alex Hirsch, former writer of Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, alongside two big name writers: Pen Ward creator of Adventure Time and J.G. Quintel, the creator of Regular show. It also is co-written and directed by Aaron Springer who has written Sponge Bob and Samurai Jack. Gravity Falls has the witty off kilter humor of those shows, and in many ways better as I have yet to seen a single toilet joke, comparative to even the big names out now. It also references many things the older crowd would get; perfect example would be the Episode “Fight Fighters” which is homage to old school arcade fighting games and beat-um ups like Street Fighter and Final Fight.

The writing team as managed to cook up a very rich universe that is filled with mystery elements. Like I said early on the main characters live and work in this road side museum and have a book that details encounters with things like vampires, ghosts, gnomes and the like. The show deals with popular myths that people love to discuss along with its own creations. The show encourages the views to follow along, to speculate and theorize about the goings on in this small town.

“Who wrote that book?”

“What little thing am I going to pick up on in the background?”

Lastly the characters are vivid and charming, having personalities that we can all see ourselves in. Dipper (voiced by Jason Ritter, the son of late John Ritter) is a smart, inquisitive boy who sees the rational side to situations, but over thinks things and is a hurry to grow up. Mabel (voice by well-known female comedian Kristen Schaal) is an upbeat and at times oblivious, free spirited girl, who isn’t afraid to be herself no matter what. Uncle Stan is a Cynical two bit con artist, who has a soft side. Wendy is the too cool for school and work teen and Soos is the fun loving Man-child.

So if you got the time, Try it out.

=^-^=

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Adventure Time, and The Amazing World of Gumball are all good shows.

#3 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (9830 posts) - - Show Bio

Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Adventure Time, and The Amazing World of Gumball are all good shows.

Dig it

#5 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya, they stick a lot of secret things in the background if you pay attention. Like in the theme song, if you slow it down you see big foot flashed in one frame really quickly. And the thing about is that big foot has a fez hat like Uncle stan. I don't know if you know this, but the fez hat is a symbol of high status in the freemasons which are connected to the illuminati. They even have a decoder on Disney.com for a couple of the secret messages.

Do you see the letters VWDQ LV QRW ZKDW KH VHHPV

When that's decoded, it says "Stan is not what he seems."

Stan definitely knows something about what's going on.

Lot's of other things, like stans eight ball staff. Different symbols and connections.

I would go into it, but this seems more like an appreciation thread.

#6 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14:

You can discuss if you want, Nothing like that is spoilers...technically.

#7 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

of course some cartoons are good.

Gravity Falls is watchable

but for all the good ones there are 5 bad ones namely D:

#8 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14:

You can discuss if you want, Nothing like that is spoilers...technically.

Did you already know about that or is it new to you?

Well if you really want to get into the show, I don't know if you noticed, but after the end of the credits there's this creepy voice. It's not always the same. But isn't s a random voice. When that voice is reversed, it's a secret thing left in by the creators weekly. It's actually a different code left in each week to unlock things in the video game on Disney.com. The show is actually a lot more complicated than some people think. I'll post the secrets and stuff later.

#9 Posted by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale

I would have looked this up on your recommendation alone. But this article was well thought out and written and def makes me want to check out this show. Thanks for posting this

#10 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine:

hehehe Thanks bb, oh and sorry if there is any misspellings or grammar bugs, feel free to point them out <3

#12 Posted by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine:

hehehe Thanks bb, oh and sorry if there is any misspellings or grammar bugs, feel free to point them out <3

Its perfect MLG.

#13 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Huge fan of the show. I'm glad I stumbled on it last year.

#14 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by wildvine (8018 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale:

Remember this scene at the end of the first episode. It was Stan going into a secret room behind the vending machine in the middle of the night. It hasn't been expanded on. What do you think Stan is doing and what is he a part of? And why do you think he's acting so oblivious?

#17 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale:

And also everything is connected. Surprisingly the emo kid is in there and not Wendy? Why do you think that is?

#18 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14:

I think he has on of the books or, at least had hence why he has the shack to begin with. He probably stumbled on it and thought he can use it to scam people, by faking the stuff in it, without really believing it himself. Mad at Gideon for being evil ? nope, he is in it for himself, he is just mad he doesn't have powers.

Acting obvious to get people talking ^-^

And think that master symbol wheel was created after all the characters, but who knows it might have something later.

#19 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14:

I think he has on of the books or, at least had hence why he has the shack to begin with. He probably stumbled on it and thought he can use it to scam people, by faking the stuff in it, without really believing it himself. Mad at Gideon for being evil ? nope, he is in it for himself, he is just mad he doesn't have powers.

And think that master symbol wheel was created after all the characters, but who knows it might have something later.

Then what about the fez hat and high ranking freemasons?

#20 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

#

@fuchsia_nightingale said:

@pfcoolio14:

Oh and I don't think it's just a character wheel cause for some reason it includes the emo kid but not Wendy? I asked why you think that in a previous post. Also some interesting stuff surrounds it.

If you play the online game, there's a bunch of things to decode and you find some of those on Stan's desk

1-l ehw brx’uh zrqghulqj zkr l dP. = i bet you’re wondering who i aM.

2-l grq’w jlyh xs dqvzhuv hdvB.. = i don’t give up answers easY..

3-l nQrz wklqjv. Idvflqdwlqj wklqjv = i kNow things. fascinating things…

4-brxu uhdolwb lv d jdph wr ph.dqg l olnh jDphv = your reality is a game to me. and i like gAmes

5-plvfklhi lv pb Plggoh qdph. exw qrw pb iluvw = mischief is my Middle name. but not my first…..

6-kHuh duh vla klqwv l zloo jlyh brx = thEre are six hints i will give you ……

7- wkhuh lv d vhfuhw vrfLhwb lq judylwb idoov = there is a secret socIety in gravity falls…….

8- wkh kdqgbpdq nqrzV pruh wkdq brx wklqn = the handyman knowS more than you think……..

9- jlghrq kdv Ehhq vhdufklqj iru vrphwklqj = gideon has Been searching for something ………

10- zkdw jrhv xs Lv vxuh wr frph grzq = what goes up Is sure to come down ……….

11- glsshu lv sOdblqj zlwk iluh = dipper is pLaying with fire ………..

12- l zloo eh uhwxuqlqj wr judylwb idoOv = i will be returning to gravity falLs …………

The handyman is probably Soos.

Edit: And notice that one of the codes says that there is a secret society in gravity falls. Maybe Stan is a part of it.

Another thing I noticed is that Stan has an eightball staff.

Dippers decoder is #8.

#21 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14:

Idk

Maybe it was Stan's book first, who knows ^-^

#22 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (5738 posts) - - Show Bio

This

#23 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this show ever since you introduced it to me. Goes beyond funny and is one of the most intelligent cartoons out there. Knowing John Ritter's son works on it make sit even more fantastic.

Awesome thread, m'dear.

#24 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis:

Anyone else notice how bill called Dipper, Mabel, and Soos the Pine tree, the Shooting Star, and the question mark? And for some reason, he already knew who Stan was and flashed the tattoo that was on his back. And did you see the images he flashed when he was introduced. He showed JFK.

And also, the all seeing eye is everywhere in that show if you pay attention.

#25 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this show.

#27 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis:

If Mabel is the shooting star in the wheel, then whose the llama?

#29 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it.

#30 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by judasnixon (6084 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: How the $#!% did I not know about the Gravity Falls thread........ I love that show more than life! I own a human size hampster ball...........

#32 Posted by judasnixon (6084 posts) - - Show Bio

#33 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

My 9 year old sister introduced me to this show, and I absolutely love it. Reading all these cryptic stuff, it just makes me more intrigued. Also, a bit creeped out. I love waddles although he pretty much does nothing haha, and Stan knows more than he lets on.

#34 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: How the $#!% did I not know about the Gravity Falls thread........ I love that show more than life! I own a human size hampster ball...........

LMFAO!!

I am not even a little bit surprised.

#35 Posted by New_World_Order (12302 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by xlab3000 (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

Gravity Falls is a good show

#37 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (5738 posts) - - Show Bio

Who just saw the season finally?

#38 Posted by russellmania77 (14400 posts) - - Show Bio

right now i just finished the first episode and im a lil drunk but i still think it wasnt that good but im pretty sure they have good potential

#39 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlab3000 said:

Gravity Falls is a good show

QFT

Who just saw the season finally?

I did! I can't wait for season two

#40 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5738 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: yep we found out what Stan has down there. Which is creepy!!!!!!!!!

#42 Posted by judasnixon (6084 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooohhhhh snap! Grunkle Stan is going to build the ultimate weapon of the illuminati with a plus 5 save and throw against the twelve Jewish bankers..... He will be more bad as than Omar from the wire!

#43 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5738 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by Xwraith (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

So I finally got a chance to watch this - it's looking like it could replace Regular Show as my favorite animated show (then again, RS hasn't had a good year).

#45 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Slender Man appears in the show.

#46 Edited by laidblack (779 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it still on or what ?

#47 Edited by Xwraith (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it still on or what ?

The new season doesn't start till Fall 2014.

And I thought Hawkeye had scheduling problems.

#48 Edited by laidblack (779 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@laidblack said:

Is it still on or what ?

The new season doesn't start till Fall 2014.

And I thought Hawkeye had scheduling problems.

Fall, damn...ugh The wait for cartoon is a difficult one.

#49 Posted by Darling_Luna (3319 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: Cause Disney doesn't want it to succeed lol

#50 Posted by Xwraith (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: Cause Disney doesn't want it to succeed lol

Apparently, they don't want actual well written and produced shows on their network anymore.