Goodfellas vs Pulp Fiction

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Goodfellas vs Pulp Fiction (34 votes)

Goodfellas 68%
Pulp Fiction 41%

Which film do you find better?

vs

I'm obsessed with the 90's! So deal with it

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Goodfellas.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodfellas

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't decide.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pulp

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'd have to watch both again, I remember Pulp Fiction better

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodfellas was good and is great on repeat watches.

Pulp Fiction is highly overrated.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

Goodfellas was good and is great on repeat watches.

Pulp Fiction is highly overrated.

No Caption Provided

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By legacy6364

Goodfellas in an epic stomp.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

They're completely different movies and great in their own way.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't seen Goodfellas, but I do think pulp fiction while good is still overrated like a user above said. Also big fans of pulp like to think posting quotes from the movie in random threads is funny... which it isn't.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Goodfellas, but I do think pulp fiction while good is still overrated like a user above said. Also big fans of pulp like to think posting quotes from the movie in random threads is funny... which it isn't.

you should watch it, it's really good!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

Pulp Fiction. It's my all time favorite movie.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By modernww2fare

Pulp Fiction. It's my all time favorite movie.

A word of advice to Tarantino, tone down his foot-fetish. I just watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 yesterday and even I was like "seriously?" when it kept showing shots of Uma Thurman's feet

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

@modernww2fare: I remember him sucking on Selma Hayek's feet in Dusk til Dawn, the man has a problem, lol.

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both but Goodfellas is better, more fleshed out characters and imo, better story.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 socajunkie  Moderator

Goodfellas, better in every category except maybe dialogue.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodfellas.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodfellas, easily.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By dernman
PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scorsese

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4f5de81abe
deactivated-5da4f5de81abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both excellent but Goodfellas.

LowMageKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pulp Fiction.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pulp Fiction

Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The broken narration which Tarantino used was something most people had never seen when Pulp fiction came out thus making it (as far as I can recall) the first feature film ever to use it through its whole length. The charachters are always talking, interacting and moving the plot. The soundtrack was amazing, and the directing and screenplay were the best part in the movie(Tarantino won a Oscar for the script) Aswell the acting was amazing. It’s a movie that doesn’t have much depth or messages like Fight Club for example but still everything works and it’s amazing. It will stands out as one of the greatest movies of all time any year, I think it wins this match due to being more rewatchable.

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scholomance

@onlyoneempereor said:

The broken narration which Tarantino used was something most people had never seen when Pulp fiction came out thus making it (as far as I can recall) the first feature film ever to use it through its whole length.

In which, IMO didn't really hold up, going back re watching the whole thing, it kinda feels disjointed and disconnected, tho in Tarantino's defense, I think each of the chapters are to be taken as a single narrative within each of the characters and not to form an overarching plot. (Though, IMO there's still a plot, but not in the traditional sense)

The charachters are always talking, interacting and moving the plot.

IMO, there were parts of this that feels boring at times, as if Tarantino wanted his characters to talk for the sake just talking (tho you can say that, these scenes of talking, makes the characters believable and more relatable)

The soundtrack was amazing, and the directing and screenplay were the best part in the movie(Tarantino won a Oscar for the script)

Yeah, both the soundtrack and the script are amazing, each of the characters are like walking thesaurus lol.

Aswell the acting was amazing.

QT's acting was kinda cringey, but overall yeah great performances from the cast.

It’s a movie that doesn’t have much depth or messages like Fight Club for example but still everything works and it’s amazing.

QT will always be "style over substance". Tho there are certain elements in his films that you may consider as "have depth or message", for example, the pub scene in "Inglorious Basterds", where the German SS officer equated King Kong to the African slavery in the US.

It will stands out as one of the greatest movies of all time any year, I think it wins this match due to being more rewatchable.

Yup, Pulp Fiction is up there with the all time greats, unconventional storytelling and compelling characters, but IMO Goodfellas was the better film overall, IMO the only edge that PF have is the dialogue but everything else, Goodfellas just wins it for me, more fleshed out characters (I felt that every character in PF acted in "the rule of cool", the dialogue made them more believable but overall the characters in Goodfellas are more relatable and more "real") , more memorable soundtrack, better camerawork, better editing, better story, etc.

Going all by these, I think Goodfellas has the more rewatchability.

OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scholomance: I still consider that as a plot and a great premise that makes the movie great. You are right since it’s various charachters plot.

You are right.

You are right again, QT is a great director and writer but not a great actor, he stars in those movies only cause they are his movies. His other performance are averages.

You are right but style can work even with little substance (Mad Max Fury Road or Revenant are mix of this)

I Agree and can see why you consider Goodfellas better, but I feel I would Binge watch pulp fiction easily and they are different takes on the Gangster genre. Pulp Fiction is cheesy and violent meanwhile Goodfellas is a realistic take with superior charachters in terms of depth and situations, I still think Pulp Fiction is a superior film but Goodfellas isn’t that far behind. Imho both masterpieces.

OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scholomance: I haven’t found anyone who doesn’t like Pulp Fiction btw, it seems like it’s a movie like The Shawshank Redemption or Fight Club which are appreciated by film buffs, random watchers and new people who watch films. It may be the fact they are extremly charachter driven with some good styles and some simple and good themes treated in the right way? What do you think about this similarity?

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scholomance: I haven’t found anyone who doesn’t like Pulp Fiction btw, it seems like it’s a movie like The Shawshank Redemption or Fight Club which are appreciated by film buffs, random watchers and new people who watch films. It may be the fact they are extremly charachter driven with some good styles and some simple and good themes treated in the right way? What do you think about this similarity?

Pulp Fiction is a Postmodern film, Postmodernist film attempts to subvert the mainstream conventions of narrative structure and characterization, and tests the audience's suspension of disbelief. (I think almost of QT's work falls under this.)

Now, Fight Club is also considered as a Postmodern film, it follows a certain style, unusual characterization and unconventional narrative structure.

While, The Shawshank Redemption is a straight up drama film, it still follows the traditional way of storytelling, the characters are developed as the plot goes on etc.

OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scholomance: I know but why you think they are all 3 loved by audience (and critics)

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scholomance: I know but why you think they are all 3 loved by audience (and critics)

IMO because all 3 are well made, "passion project", each of the directors has a vision for their respective films.

OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers