Good Sci-fi/Fantasy shows?

Phylos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Phylos

Lately I've been in the mood for a good series, what would you guys/girls recommend?

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Inverno

Game of Thrones is the best one.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BringnIt

Depends on what you have seen. Do you want active or something you can check out on Netflix? Any additional criteria? Live action or animated? The ones that probably impacted me the most: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones and True Blood all jump to mind in the sci-fi genre.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By _Sojourn_

I actually like Level Up,

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@Slight: Same

better then that Troop Nick had awhile back

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Sojourn_

Yassss, that show was just awful. Plus, Lyle is soo fine

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By darth_brendroid

I instantly thought 'Doctor Who', I've only seen an episode of Game of Thrones but it's got an interesting premise. Red Dwarf's a little older and has a healthy dosage of comedy as well.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@Slight: He kinda reminds me of that Jett Jackson guy lol

Phylos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phylos

@BringnIt said:

Depends on what you have seen. Do you want active or something you can check out on Netflix? Any additional criteria? Live action or animated? The ones that probably impacted me the most: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones and True Blood all jump to mind in the sci-fi genre.

I'd prefer something that was on Netflix. I am all for live action or animation.

Buffy was awesome, Angel was egh but I've never watched Firefly, Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones or True Blood.

@Slight said:

I actually like Level Up,

What's Level Up?

>_>

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

Tons of good scifi and fantasy in animes. Though you should be careful. Tons of trash anime as well. Masamune Shirow stuff are always guaranteed good. Cowboy Bebop is also a good scifi-esque miniseries. Also might want to check out Full Metal Alchemist for a mixture of both fantasy and scifi. :D If you like giant robots, Gundam is always a safe bet. The 2nd-to-recent series Gundam 00 was a superb show.

As for live-action, as stated above, Game of Thrones is top-notch. Pillars of the Earth is a good miniseries. Legend of the Seeker is also above average though you may loathe it if you're a fan of the Sword of Truth book series it was based on. Merlin is also a good show as long as you aren't meticulous with the source material.

As for Scifi, I will recommend Stargate SG-1 but not the succeeding series Atlantis and Universe. The remake of Battlestar Galactica is also good and I believe it has surpassed the original series. Dr. Who is also good for a British twist to your scifi. Oh and the miniseries Firefly. Make sure to watch the movie Serendipity afterwards.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#11  Edited By TronHammer

There are quite a few that I liked.

1. Game of Thrones is really entertaining.

2. Stargate SG - 1

3. Stargate Atlantis

4. X - Files

5. Star Trek: The Next Generation

6. V, and V: The Final Battle (the original mini series)

7. Highlander (This was entertaining for a while)

8. Other World ( I loved it, but it didn't last long)

9. Sliders (the idea was great, but some episodes were really bad)

10. SeaQuest DSV (I didn't actually watch this, but it sounds interesting)

11. Star Trek (the original series)

12. Star Trek Enterprise (I actually liked it. I thought it was getting better and better)

13. Terra Nova (I hope it comes back)

14. Manimal (nifty idea)

15. Covington Cross (a midieval based series)

16. Wizards and Warriors (a short lived series, but it's fantasy dammit!)

17. Werewolf (Really interesting)

18. Alien Nation (it had it's moments)

19. Planet of the Apes (It also had it's moments)

I'm sure there are a few more that excape me at the moment.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By _Sojourn_

@phylos- it's a show about gamers. The black guy is my fantasy boo @ fushia- omg yup, I remember that

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darth_brendroid

Anime-wise there's Serial Experiments Lain (which doesn't have much in terms of action, which could be a bummer), Evangelion (which has more action but lost its budget about half way through - YMMV as to whether the budget restrictions made it better or not), FLCL (which is comedy and highly surreal as well), Soul Eater (which is sort of a Tim Burton-esque anime series) and I'll throw in Gurren Lagann as a more action-centric series.

Phylos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phylos

@ssejllenrad said:

Tons of good scifi and fantasy in animes. Though you should be careful. Tons of trash anime as well. Masamune Shirow stuff are always guaranteed good. Cowboy Bebop is also a good scifi-esque miniseries. Also might want to check out Full Metal Alchemist for a mixture of both fantasy and scifi. :D If you like giant robots, Gundam is always a safe bet. The 2nd-to-recent series Gundam 00 was a superb show.

As for live-action, as stated above, Game of Thrones is top-notch. Pillars of the Earth is a good miniseries. Legend of the Seeker is also above average though you may loathe it if you're a fan of the Sword of Truth book series it was based on. Merlin is also a good show as long as you aren't meticulous with the source material.

As for Scifi, I will recommend Stargate SG-1 but not the succeeding series Atlantis and Universe. The remake of Battlestar Galactica is also good and I believe it has surpassed the original series. Dr. Who is also good for a British twist to your scifi. Oh and the miniseries Firefly. Make sure to watch the movie Serendipity afterwards.

Full Metal Alchemist was awesome! I couldn't get into Gundam though. All arrows keep pointing to Game of Thrones but isn't it based off of a book series? if so, how much do they actually keep with the storyline? Stargate was awesome but I never got to watch Battlestar Galactica, also, I have not seen Dr. Who but I keep hearing great things about it.

@HammerTron said:

There are quite a few that I liked.

1. Game of Thrones is really entertaining.

2. Stargate SG - 1

3. Stargate Atlantis

4. X - Files

5. Star Trek: The Next Generation

6. V, and V: The Final Battle (the original mini series)

7. Highlander (This was entertaining for a while)

8. Other World ( I loved it, but it didn't last long)

9. Sliders (the idea was great, but some episodes were really bad)

10. SeaQuest DSV (I didn't actually watch this, but it sounds interesting)

11. Star Trek (the original series)

12. Star Trek Enterprise (I actually liked it. I thought it was getting better and better)

13. Terra Nova (I hope it comes back)

14. Manimal (nifty idea)

15. Covington Cross (a midieval based series)

16. Wizards and Warriors (a short lived series, but it's fantasy dammit!)

17. Werewolf (Really interesting)

18. Alien Nation (it had it's moments)

19. Planet of the Apes (It also had it's moments)

I'm sure there are a few more that excape me at the moment.

o0o0o0o thank you for that list, I'll look into some of those.

@darth_brendroid said:

Anime-wise there's Serial Experiments Lain (which doesn't have much in terms of action, which could be a bummer), Evangelion (which has more action but lost its budget about half way through - YMMV as to whether the budget restrictions made it better or not), FLCL (which is comedy and highly surreal as well), Soul Eater (which is sort of a Tim Burton-esque anime series) and I'll throw in Gurren Lagann as a more action-centric series.

I started watching Soul Eater but I felt like I kept forcing myself to like it, so halfway through I lost all interest. I'll check those out, question though, have you seen Fate/Stay Night? and if so, is it any good?

A list of Animes that were interesting to me:

Claymore

FMA/FMA - Brotherhood

Basilisk

Queens Blade

Moribito

Elfen Leid

Rozen Maiden

Guin Saga

just to name a few, so if there are any shows that have a mixture like this, please let me know lol.

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darth_brendroid

I haven't seen Fate/Stay Night. I also haven't seen any of the series you listed (but am interested in seeing Elfen Lied, and have heard of Claymore and FMA/FMA Brotherhood). That said, besides Soul Eater, the series I listed are somewhat short (27 episodes for Gurren Lagann, 26 for Eva, 13 for Lain and 6 for FLCL). There's also this list: http://www.madman.com.au/top20/countdown/which might suggest other series. Not saying it's definitive, but yeah.