Gladiator question...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

So...maybe I missed the part in the movie, but why was Maximus after Caesar was murdered, taken by his own men to be killed? I'm not seeing what logic that is, considering how loyal his men were to him and they suddenly just...at the drop of a hat, taken to be killed?

What exactly was Maximus' crime?

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@wolfrazer:

Augustus Ceasar had just died, thus giving power to his son. Though Maximus' men were in his brigade, Maximus was Spaniard by origin, thus he wasn't really Roman. Since the Roman army had a habit of assimilating conquered lands, its not out of the reach that his army would listen to the new king, or turn on Maximus cuz they probably weren't Spaniard like Maximus

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wolfrazer  Online

@boschepg: So....loyal men who fought with Maximus for years, suddenly turn on him because the Emperor died and his son gained the power?....The son being noted as a complete ****hole among other things and they will just listen to him, because he's the Emperor?...

That's completely stupid...

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By boschePG

@wolfrazer:

They don't use the motto, Long live the King, for nothing

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

He gets Stronger the more confident he gets

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wolfrazer  Online

@boschepg: Actually no, that doesn't add up. Because later in the movie, one of his guys comes and says that his men are still loyal to him and would be ready to march on the capital within a day. So...it doesn't make sense, that they would betray him and then still be loyal enough to march on the capital of Rome in a coup.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By boschePG

First, I made a mistake. The Kings father wasn't Augustus. It was Marcus Aurelious. His son, to be king (Joaquin phoenix) was Commodus.

I think the person that tied the question you have in mind is Quintus. Quintus was with Maximus at the beginning fight. He then also sided with Commodus throughout the whole movie. It could have been Quintus unit that tried to slay Maximus, since it was also Quintus unit that killed Maximus' family. It was probably Quintus unit with Maximus' unit in the beginning when Marcus Aurelious Ceasar was alive in the beginning

No Caption Provided

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wolfrazer  Online

@boschepg: But then even still, why would Quintus betray Maximus? They were close friends were they not?....

But...bleh, w/e, movie logic I guess..

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boschepg: But then even still, why would Quintus betray Maximus? They were close friends were they not?....

But...bleh, w/e, movie logic I guess..

Couldn't have been that close.

Maximus did ask him to watch his family and Quintus said they would meet him in the after life. Check the quotes on IMDB under Quintus

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wolfrazer  Online

@boschepg: Yeah I know, just finished watching the movie. Just seems strange really and then in the end, Quintus doesn't give Commodus a sword.