#101 Posted by ccraft (5282 posts) - - Show Bio

The police should have arrested Zimmerman right after the shooting, that he proclaimed as self defense, but instead they released him because they took his word for it. It would take 6 weeks before they even investigated what happened, so it's more of the police's fault because they didn't do a good job. The Sandford police chief was right in resigning.

The courts didn't have enough evidence in conviction him for murder, they were right to try for manslaughter instead, but again not enough evidence.

#102 Edited by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms__omega: wow given that statement you literally know nothing about the case. Its hardly "cold blood" when the "victim" is repeatedly smashing your head into the pavement.

#103 Edited by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

100!!!!

#104 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc said:

@totalbalance:

and that's why i believe the justice system failed trayvon

His parents failed him first and foremost.

What a worthless comment. Who are you to make a judgement about his parents? This is particularly strange since you were the person who pushed the idea that parents shouldn't be held responsible for watching over their kids when it comes to video games but here you are, ready to cast stones. Seriously -- your opinion on this is worthless. Still your prerogative to give it, but it's worthless.

@xanni15 said:

@hbktimhbk: He was a scumbag, no matter how you look at it.

This comment especially.

------------------------------------------

As for the case itself, the jury was chosen by both sides -- if people want to throw the idea around that the prosecution had intentions of throwing this case, then I have to disagree strongly. There can be nothing worse for a prosecutor than to lose a case -- most cases make it to trial because the prosecutors feel they can win. This case made it to trial solely because the media and attention forced it.

The unfortunate fact is, according to Florida's laws, this is an open and shut case. Anyone who gets involved in a fight which can reasonably be considered one where an excess amount of force is being applied -- or reasonably expected to be applied -- can defend themselves with a gun. Pretty much that's it. If you get into a fight and you are losing, just pull out your gun and shoot. This is legal in that state and this is what the jurors were forced to contend with. During their sixteen hour deliberation, they asked for clarification on the charge of manslaughter and even then, could not in good faith find Zimmerman guilty of it. There was reasonable doubt -- and the defense was sure to point that out.

The not guilty verdict means the jury of six women found that Zimmerman justifiably used deadly force and reasonably believed that such force was "necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm" to himself — Florida's definition of self-defense.

This was taken from one of the articles I just read and it spells it out quite clearly. Justice was served. Maybe this can generate discussion about guns and Florida's Stand Your Gun law but in terms of this case, Zimmerman had to be found not guilty.

#105 Posted by YoungJustice (6846 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22: Did I say that? Nope. I was saying that he shouldn't have went after Martin after police were already on the scene. If he wasn't following Martin, he wouldn't have been attacked. He got what he deserved.

#106 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24981 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not even going to adress some of the ignorance in this thread. *walks away*

#107 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@youngjustice: dude what are you talking about? There were no "police on the scene". Theres also nothing illegal about following someone for a couple blocks. The FACTS point in the direction that Martin instigated the altercation.

#108 Posted by BigTimeSpider (44 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: you never know.

Zimmerman might've not told the full truth.

#109 Posted by WillPayton (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get Zimmmerman supporters, they ignore the fact that he ignored the police and because of this he was attacked, pretty certain that Trayvon wouldn't have attacked if he didn't feel like he was being harassed.

Zimmerman should have staying in his car, at least in retrospect. If it had turned out that the person he was following was a criminal and he'd stayed in his car and the criminal killed someone, where he could have prevented it, then we might be asking why he didnt do anything.

Martin also should have run away and call the police, not attack the guy following him.

They both made decisions that contributed to the event.

#110 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc said:

@totalbalance:

What a worthless comment. Who are you to make a judgement about his parents? This is particularly strange since you were the person who pushed the idea that parents shouldn't be held responsible for watching over their kids when it comes to video games but here you are, ready to cast stones. Seriously -- your opinion on this is worthless. Still your prerogative to give it, but it's worthless.

You have perfected the art of ad hominem to such a level that it will never be rivaled. I'm not the least bit surprised you replied to me. lol

#111 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigtimespider: Zimmerman had a broken nose and lacerations to the back of his head injuries that pointed to Zimmerman being knocked to the ground and had his head bashed into the pavement several times. The angle of the bullet that killed Martin points to the fact that he was shot from below as if Martin was right above him, consistent with Zimmermans claim that Martin was beating on him from above. Nobody knows EXACTLY what happened that night but the evidence points to something close to Zimmermans account.

#112 Posted by mikethekiller (8413 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc said:

@totalbalance:

What a terrible thing to say.

#113 Edited by ccraft (5282 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@bigtimespider: All evidence points to Marin attacking Zimmerman. It's safe to assume that is exactly what happened.

Zimmerman had some injuries to the back of the head from what I remember.

He in fact was following Martian around, suggesting a sort of racist profiling, his phone call to police even suggests it, again from what I remember.

But we will never know exactly what happened, and we have only the police to blame because they did a bad job.

Zimmerman's head injury and bloody noise https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=643&q=zimmerman+injury+pictures&oq=zimmerman+inju&gs_l=img.3.2.0l4.999.6195.0.10632.19.9.3.7.7.0.169.1013.2j7.9.0...0.0.0..1ac.1.17.img.RD_JT969nNo

#114 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc said:

@totalbalance:

What a terrible thing to say.

Mike, the kid was a known drug dealer, suspended from school multiple times, and on the verge of getting kicked out of his home by his mother. If you want to blame society I'd back you up, but some of the blame is on his parents fo' sure.

#115 Posted by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22: Did I say that? Nope. I was saying that he shouldn't have went after Martin after police were already on the scene. If he wasn't following Martin, he wouldn't have been attacked. He got what he deserved.

You were implying that Zimmerman should be punished for disregarding a police dispatchers, which is non-nonsensical since they don't really have any authority to command anyone. I agree, Zimmerman should have let the Police handle the situation if he thought that it was serious enough to call them. Zimmerman did nothing illegal that night, the one who actually perpetrated a crime that night was Trayvon Martin when he physically assaulted Zimmerman. If Trayvon Martin was scared for his life why didn't he get off the phone with his friend and call the police? Why didn't he stay hidden once he lost Zimmerman? Why didn't he go home or to one of his neighbors's homes for help? Based off the evidence I have seen, Zimmerman had every right to defend himself once hit because if Trayvon Martin was truly fearful he wouldn't have confronted Zimmerman in the first and this would have been avoidable. Zimmerman wasn't out of his legal rights to pursue and question Trayvon Martin, while on the other hand Trayvon Martin was out of his legal rights when he viciously attacked him. Let's pretend that Zimmerman didn't shoot Trayvon, how do we know that Trayvon Martin would have stop beating Zimmerman? Who would have been there to prevent Trayvon Martin from fatally injuring Zimmerman if he didn't shoot him?

People who believe that Zimmerman is guilty are either delusional or ignorant of the case in general.

#116 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: No racial profiling. Martin was the racist one.

#117 Posted by ccraft (5282 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@ccraft said:

I used to follow this seeing all the evidence against Zimmerman would at least suggest racist profiling of Zimmerman, and then he shots an unarmed teenager.

I highly doubt much CV people on here actually watched any footage of the case, at best he should be convicted of manslaughter. So I'm very surprised he got off scott free.

Actually, if you watched any of the case there's no way you could conclude there was enough evidence to convict him of anything. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Yes I have watch some of the case, and yes the evidence to convict Zimmerman of murder was not enough. I actually should have went into more detail into what I believed first time I commented, but have went into more detail in my other comment.

Simply put, there just wasn't enough to prove Zimmerman guilty of murder and the police could have done a better job.

#118 Posted by ccraft (5282 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@ccraft: No racial profiling. Martin was the racist one.

What makes you say that? I've only suggested that he could have followed because of racist profiling, but if he wasn't then why follow the kid around and call the police and tell them that he's up to no good?

#119 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@xanni15 said:

@ccraft said:

I used to follow this seeing all the evidence against Zimmerman would at least suggest racist profiling of Zimmerman, and then he shots an unarmed teenager.

I highly doubt much CV people on here actually watched any footage of the case, at best he should be convicted of manslaughter. So I'm very surprised he got off scott free.

Actually, if you watched any of the case there's no way you could conclude there was enough evidence to convict him of anything. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Yes I have watch some of the case, and yes the evidence to convict Zimmerman of murder was not enough. I actually should have went into more detail into what I believed first time I commented, but have went into more detail in my other comment.

Simply put, there just wasn't enough to prove Zimmerman guilty of murder and the police could have done a better job.

I'm not trying to prolong this or be argumentative, but in your mind what could the police have done differently? They investigated the entire thing, the former police chief was fired because he wouldn't bring charges against Zimmerman, he knew there was no way to disprove what Zimmerman had said about it being self defense, and it wasn't until they faced enormous pressure from outside the department (like from the Governor, the President, numerous organizations, etc) that they were pretty much forced to arrest him. Then there was the whole trying to paint Trayvon in a better light than the truth revealed.

#120 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: He called Zimmerman a "creepy-ass cracker". What Zimmerman did is considered criminal profiling. Zimmerman is not racist.

#121 Posted by GoldenStar66 (648 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Zimmerman sleeps with one eye open...every night!

#122 Posted by MagneticTempest (207 posts) - - Show Bio

If Zimmerman is a white hispanic then Obama is a white African American.

#123 Posted by ccraft (5282 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: The police took Zimmerman's word for self-defense without doing any investigation on the day Zimmerman shot Martian, then they investigated it 6 weeks after the shooting. I mean that's crazy, and not just in this instance either. Yes he had injuries to the back of the head, but there should have been an investigation on the day of the shooting. Who knows maybe it could have even further proved his innocents.

Zimmerman looks like a nice guy and all but he shouldn't have been following that kid around, and the events that followed because of that is truly sad.

#124 Edited by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnetictempest said:

If Zimmerman is a white hispanic then Obama is a white African American.

Excuse me!!!!! Michelle Obama is the epitome of a intelligent hard-working black woman, she exudes class.

#125 Posted by YoungJustice (6846 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, can't even state my opinion without being ganged up on.

Their only thing I can really say is that, people react in different ways. If someone was following me late at night, I'd confront them, that's just me.

The point I was trying to make was that if Zimmerman would have just waited a fair 5 minuets and followed Trayvon in his car from a safe distance to make sure that he wasn't doing anything, then the police would have dealed with it and Zimmerman wouldn't have a very cruddy life from now on.

#126 Edited by Trigon (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Where is Dexter when you need him....

#127 Edited by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

This is kinda pointless and a waste of time...not the incident,really (I mean,a life is gone). But,most of this thread has comments that are just going nowhere and are back/forth banter.....

#128 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

smh some of the comments in this thread....just.....sad.

#129 Posted by Black_Claw (2989 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember when I said that half of florida might be torn up by riots? Well.....

#130 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Fair enough, but there is no law against Zimmerman following Martin. People do stupid things all the time, it is very unfortunate that someone lost their life in this instance, though. Seems like a lot of people are allowing their emotions to cloud their judgement.

#131 Edited by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

Quoted it once; quote it again

"Pull da trigga; kill a nigga; he's a hero"

-Tupac

#132 Edited by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

@bigtimespider: Zimmerman had a broken nose and lacerations to the back of his head injuries that pointed to Zimmerman being knocked to the ground and had his head bashed into the pavement several times. The angle of the bullet that killed Martin points to the fact that he was shot from below as if Martin was right above him, consistent with Zimmermans claim that Martin was beating on him from above. Nobody knows EXACTLY what happened that night but the evidence points to something close to Zimmermans account.

The witness the defense called, a doctor by the way, said the lacerations were minor. She stated that Zimmerman's life was not in danger.

#133 Posted by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow,I am not surprised...people burning up things and going bats*** crazy as if they have no sense.

And btw,the racism that I saw in those comments...also not surprising.However,that guy recording sounds a bit like a douche.

What exactly does this solve?

#134 Posted by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

Watched about two minutes of Faux News and got pissed off instantly!

#135 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Riots solve nothing but then some people in this world are stupid and cry racism every chance they get so..

Lol at michelle obama working her a off, yeah right and im derek jeters brother.lol

Nightthrasher, oh yes because pmsñbc totally tells the truth...please. Fox has nothing to do with the cases outcome. Sounds to me like youre just pissy zimmerman got off. Lol

#136 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: What's that location? On the news down here they're reporting zero riots, though the police are ready for them.

#137 Edited by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@black_claw: What's that location? On the news down here they're reporting zero riots, though the police are ready for them.

You're in Florida?

#138 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@night_thrasher: He probably wasnt thinking "oh alright these wounds arent life threatening" when he was in the process of having his head smashed against the pavement multiple times. The point of it all is that he was in reasonable fear for his life. You would probably think your life was in danger if you were in the same situation. The law states that its self defense if you are in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm. Having your head smashed against the pavement and being wailed on from above qualifies.

#139 Posted by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

Things like this make me hate being black sometimes! -__-

#140 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

You're in Florida?

Yes.

#141 Posted by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

Um....

1. I don't think everyone there is black. Even so,it doesn't necessarily mean that all black people are like this and only black people do this.

While I find it ridiculous and primal what these idiots are doing,I don't think them being black has anything to do with it....

#142 Posted by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@cameron83 said:

@xanni15 said:

You're in Florida?

Yes.

Cool. So am I....begins stalking

#143 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Very Very Sad if folks riot.

Not surprised at all that Zimmerman got off his dad being a retired judge is a surprise though. Sad day.

#144 Posted by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: His wounds weren't consistent to having his head smashed into the pavement. That's the point! There wasn't any concave part to his skull that would suggest bashing. There were no fractures. There was a small less than a 1/4 inch laceration and swelling. More consistent with tripping and hitting his head on the pavement than consistent bashing.

#145 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15:

Alrighty then. Have a good night.

#146 Posted by Surkit (11553 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm black, and I'll say this. Who really knows what Trayvon Martin was up to that night. I've known guys mysewlf that were far from saints, but when they died everybody painted a picture of one

But that's all irrelevent.

A man killed another person

There should've been some kind of penalty for murder, that's just a poor example of the system's emotional and psychological predisposition component taking precedent over the widely common view of morality in regard to life that most Americans have,and a general lack of common sense or decency.

Someody's son was killed and now that person has to just take it in stride; murder is excessive. I don't care how you try to justify it. If it was that serious and he had a gun I doubt the kid thought he was bullet proof and needed to be shot to be deterred.

All racial bias and media bloating aside. THAT is why it's an unjust verdict,

#147 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: exactly, well said couldnt agree more. The brai is one of the most fragile organs in the body thus why the skull is there, to protect it when possible. So if someone thinks 'its ok to bash this guys head i so long as it dont kill him' is remotely justifiable they would be flat out idiotic. If someone is bashing my head into pavement, you bet your a$$ im going to stop you by any means necessary.

#148 Posted by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22 said:

@black_claw said:

Um....

1. I don't think everyone there is black. Even so,it doesn't necessarily mean that all black people are like this and only black people do this.

While I find it ridiculous and primal what these idiots are doing,I don't think them being black has anything to do with it....

I didn't say that everyone down there is black, but I bet that most of the people down there were. I definitely believe that race is an issue with this riot, if that isn't the case then why are they rioting in the first place?

#149 Posted by SOG7dc (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

real quick id like to apologize to anybody who I might have offended with my earlier comments. I was emotionally charged and upset. I mean for goodness sakes my mother was crying about this. but ill just say this. we're all pink on the inside. and when you look at two humans instead of a black guy and a white guy. you just feel sorry for the loss of life. a life that could have been great. and you feel sorry for the guy who brought a lot of hate his way that all could have been avoided had he just stayed at home that night. ya know? anything bad ever happened in your life and you thought "damn if I just called off today" so in light of all that I think we should move on. and in the future see people. not colors.

#150 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@surkit said:

I'm black, and I'll say this. Who really knows what Trayvon Martin was up to that night. I've known guys mysewlf that were far from saints, but when they died everybody painted a picture of one

But that's all irrelevent.

A man killed another person

There should've been some kind of penalty for murder, that's just a poor example of the system's emotional and psychological predisposition component taking precedent over the widely common view of morality in regard to life that most Americans have,and a general lack of common sense or decency.

Someody's son was killed and now that person has to just take it in stride; murder is excessive. I don't care how you try to justify it. If it was that serious and he had a gun I doubt the kid thought he was bullet proof and needed to be shot to be deterred.

All racial bias and media bloating aside. THAT is why it's an unjust verdict,

So sadly true. That a law is in place which allows murder is disgusting.