• 78 results
Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

@rogueshadow: If notice carefully it mentions about rape in all Arya scenes. Go watch all those scenes. He can do worse things to the characters and not kill them.

Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: I simply don't like his writing style, and I'm not attacking the show. His books are crap. Case and point Game of throne comics( they are just terrible). His books don't make sense. The world is less realistic as Final fantasy.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ssejllenrad: I simply don't like his writing style, and I'm not attacking the show. His books are crap. Case and point Game of throne comics( they are just terrible). His books don't make sense. The world is less realistic as Final fantasy.

Do you want to elaborate? What about the books don't make sense? Why is his world unrealistic? You first say that you don't like his writing style, which is a subjective opinion. Then you say his books are crap, which is an objective statement. Ignore the comics because they are just adaptations, just focus on the original novels.

If you are so adamant that Martin is objectively bad, then you should give some clearer reasons than 'he kills off characters and the books don't make sense'. Provide some examples of why they don't make sense. And explain why characters shouldn't die when killing off characters reflects the grim and harsh tone of the world he created.

If you say it just doesn't appeal to you or you just dislike it because it isn't your thing, then fine. However, if you want to make a blanket statement like, 'his books are crap' and 'he's a bad writer', then you need to provide some better arguements.

Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: He kills good characters right away. Does not explore them further, and you don't have kill the characters ( case would be Theon). The scariest thing are universe is worse then Game of thrones.

In the beginning I loved this show, as i watched it, and the books. It seemed less good as I read it previously.

I'm not a fan...

I hope this post does not upset people.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there anywhere that I can watch the show online and see the entire series ?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: He kills good characters right away. Does not explore them further, and you don't have kill the characters ( case would be Theon). The scariest thing are universe is worse then Game of thrones.

In the beginning I loved this show, as i watched it, and the books. It seemed less good as I read it previously.

I'm not a fan...

I hope this post does not upset people.

Okay, so this is a subjective reason. Like I said, that's fine, you can dislike something because of personal preference. It just annoys me when people make objective statements without any supporting evidence. Martin certainly isn't for everyone.

(So you haven't read that far then if you think that about Theon.)

Douglatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Douglatron

Hodor!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

George Martin is famous for his book series. I find his characters dull, and unrealistic. The dialogue is boring, and the characters are killed left and right for no reason ( for shock value). This show is not dark fantasy, but a Dark Medieval fiction. I find for example Hellsing, Deathnote are written perfect.

Clearly you are a paragon of literary understanding.

For the record, I found the Song of Fire and Ice to be boring too.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

1. OP claims that a highly respected and adored writer sucks. 2. OP cites two animes as the absolute pinnacle of storytelling. 3. OP claims to have written Shakespeare. Conclusion: OP is a troll or other sort of internet vermin. Time wasted. Joy out.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By Rouflex

Will anyone get my reference?

We need some

No Caption Provided

in this thread.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh... Look as much as I want to kick the old man's in the face for killing my favorite characters, I won't deny he is a very talented writer. If he is able to make you feel pissed or bad for a fictional character, than he succeeded too well in making them likable and relatable. The setting is decidely dark and grim, but that is exactly how a realistic medieval world would be. House Stark for example is a typical family of fantasy heroes that possess virtues of honor and integrity, and will not play into political ploys. In any other setting, they would be deemed as boring and cookie cutter, but in this series, its the very thing that puts them into constant trouble as they are usually blind-sided by their enemies who will not hesitate to use underhanded methods to beat them. Because that is exactly what happens to people who subscribe to honor so blindly. He is also not afraid to shake up the status quo in his own work, having the balance shifting constantly into drastic directions.

He is not a perfect writer mind you. He has problems in having the story moving, at least in some recent books. As far as I am concerned, A Feast of Crows is mostly filler, since favorite POVs like Jon,Tyrion, Bran and Daenerys are absent and replaced by secondary characters whose storylines do little to contribute to the plot, while the primary POV, Cersei Lannister, turns out to be even more unlikable than we imagined her to be from other people's perspectives. You can argue that it was for the sake of world building, but that was done on expense of the plot. A Dance with Dragons fix this problem, bringing back the fan favorite POV's back, but is still bloated with unimportant characters like Quentyn Martell (whose only purpose in the story is to show what happens when a sheltered young nobleman who thinks he is in a tale of good and evil and he is "the hero" meant to prevail in the end). Did his storyline really did need to happen? Didn't we already learn that from what happening to the Starks that idealism does not pay?

As for the OP, it sounds like s/he was a fan of the series, but grew resentful after seeing their favorite characters dying, and wants to bash GRRM for that. At least that is the impression I am getting.

Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KraytRawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkadyred Man . . . the Red Wedding really got to you huh?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

He is the Rick Remender of fantasy writers :-P
When a book gets attention only when someone dies then something is wrong with the book or with the writer.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By TDK_1997

I agree with you.When I first started watching the show I thought it would be top notch and interesting as f*ck but it ended up being really boring and it's only good moments were the deaths that have been made for a surprise or just to crack the ice.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rogueshadow  Moderator

Loading Video...

@rogueshadow: If notice carefully it mentions about rape in all Arya scenes. Go watch all those scenes. He can do worse things to the characters and not kill them.

I was talking about the books. Whilst David & Dan do have insight into the endings of the book the book is much better with prophecy and foreshadowing, much better.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkadyred: An avid anime fan who can only produce two animes as examples of good writing doesn't like a Western Fantasy book series? Shocker! Guess what, they're not for you, therefore you aren't really entitled to the opinion that GRRM is a bad writer because you have different tastes and aren't in a position to give an objective, unbiased assessment of A Song of Ice and Fire.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When a book gets attention only when someone dies then something is wrong with the book or with the writer.

What are you talking about!? It's not like Remender offed Rogue, Wonder Man, and Scarlet Witch in a single issue or anyth....oh wait...

Point validated.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I like Hellsing, I have little to no reason to believe Hirano is a better writer than Martin. And I don't even like Martin as a writer. As I said earlier, he's a good storyteller but not writer IMO. I repeat. IMO.

Can't really judge Death Note writing cause I've never read its manga. Just watched the anime and that's it.

Now if I'm to pick a manga that can match up to western fantasy writers, I'd pick Arakawa's Fullmetal Alchemist. Again, just my opinion.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@jaken7 said:

@squalleon said:

What are you talking about!? It's not like Remender offed Rogue, Wonder Man, and Scarlet Witch in a single issue or anyth....oh wait...

Point validated.

And killed Sharon Carter in Captain America too.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By JakeN7

@squalleon: Jeez, I hadn't been reading that. You'd think editorial would keep an eye out for that itchy trigger finger of his.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

GoT is overrated

Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kraytrawk: I watched the red wedding. I had no emotions during those scenes. When I watch the show, I honestly don't give a shit about the characters.

No Caption Provided

Characters die here all the time. This show is a enjoyable bad show, just like Dbz.

Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: You know he going to kill all the characters at the end of the book.Don't waste your time and hope he won't kill all the characters.

No Caption Provided

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: You know he going to kill all the characters at the end of the book.Don't waste your time and hope he won't kill all the characters.

No Caption Provided

Lol. So psyched for the Winds of Winter, hopefully the Wall falls.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

No Caption Provided

This just reinforces what I think... You probably were a fan of the series, but grew resentful after your favorite characters died.

Its alright, dude you can just admit it.

Arkadyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: I had no favorite characters in the series. This my reaction to game of thrones.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided