George Lucas Is Going Back to Making Smaller Films - Anyone Care?

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

- After watching him bend over out childhoods with Star Wars Episiode 1-3, and Indiana Jones 4, does anyone really want to see him do anything else?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

Not really, no. I'm just glad that his involvement with Star Wars is done with.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

This career turn could yield interesting results.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

He is an 'Ideas man' with to many 'yes men' and brown nosers around him to achieve anything worth while, I don't really think he was ever in tune with his fan base which is entirely his choice but i honestly wont miss what ever little contribution he brings to cinema anymore.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silver2467
@WarMachineMarkV said:

After watching him bend over out childhoods with Star Wars Episiode 1-3, and Indiana Jones 4

Nice to know people are still jumping on that pathetic and pitiable "Lucas raped my childhood!" bandwagon.
progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By progenitorigin

@Silver2467 said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

After watching him bend over out childhoods with Star Wars Episiode 1-3, and Indiana Jones 4

Nice to know people are still jumping on that pathetic and pitiable "Lucas raped my childhood!" bandwagon.

It's not quite so far-fetched. "Rape" childhood memories? No, but make them into garbage? Yeah. Ewoks? Star Wars: The Clone Wars? Indiana Jones 4? Much like George Romero for his genre, he's lost his spark.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silver2467
@progenitor said:

@Silver2467 said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

It's not quite so far-fetched. "Rape" childhood memories? No, but make them into garbage? Yeah. Ewoks? Star Wars: Clone Wars? Indiana Jones 4? Much like George Romero for his genre, he's lost his spark.

It is far fetched. I can understand people hating the prequels. I cannot understand people taking that to such a ridiculous extreme to say that Lucas ruined their childhood. Seriously, I pity people who had that much invested in Star Wars. 

And Lucas has had very little to do with the current Clone Wars show. He was the one who conceived of the idea for the show to be created. His creative input has been limited, as far as I know, and even then, the show is directed at younger viewers. Besides that, the show really should only bother people like me who can recognize the continuity flaws the show creates. You can blame it on Dave Filoni, Tim Burns, Kevin Campbell, etc. Ewoks and Indiana Jones, I agree with. Those were rather bad and were low points for Lucas. The former, however, was intended for a very young audience; so I can hardly blame him that it has no appeal to me. The latter, that was just a poor idea. 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Static Shock

I didn't really care for Red Tails. I don't even like movies based on event from WWII.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

He needs to get back to his roots.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Chuck Klosterman wrote this awesome little bit about Star Wars in Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs describing how Star Wars was always intended for kids. 

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Silver2467

To the thread, I have no particular interest in many of Lucas' other projects. His real strengths were emphasized in Star Wars, those strengths being his bizarre ideas and settings being formed into a decent story. 

@texasdeathmatch said:

Chuck Klosterman wrote this awesome little bit about Star Wars in Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs describing how Star Wars was always intended for kids. 
I think it was. The inception of the Ewoks was designed to appeal to a young audience, and Lucas was hesitant about revealing that Vader was Luke's father because he was worried that kids would never be able to accept that.
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Silver2467: Yeah, also the fact that Luke was the main character, who appeals to children instead of someone rugged and flawed like Han Solo. 
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Static Shock said:
I don't even like movies based on event from WWII.
Why not? 
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Silver2467 said:

@progenitor said:

@Silver2467 said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

It's not quite so far-fetched. "Rape" childhood memories? No, but make them into garbage? Yeah. Ewoks? Star Wars: Clone Wars? Indiana Jones 4? Much like George Romero for his genre, he's lost his spark.

It is far fetched. I can understand people hating the prequels. I cannot understand people taking that to such a ridiculous extreme to say that Lucas ruined their childhood. Seriously, I pity people who had that much invested in Star Wars.

They don't mean they're literally traumatized. It's an exaggeration.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Silver2467
@InnerVenom123 said: 

They don't mean they're literally traumatized. It's an exaggeration.

You'd be surprised. I have talked to people who actually mean that when they say it.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Static Shock
@texasdeathmatch said:
Why not? 
The premise of WWII has been used constantly in entertainment to the point where it's monotonous (in both movies and video games). It's very cliche.   

Apparently, my homegirl (or more importantly, a girl who's bothered by the fact that I'm no longer attracted to her) thinks I'm an Uncle Tom when I said I wasn't interested in the movie for this reason, even though it had nothing to do with race. 
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said: 
The premise of WWII has been used constantly in entertainment to the point where it's monotonous (in both movies and video games). It's very cliche.
Almost like Godwin's law except in the media. LOL. 

In a way, I agree with you, but there are still some WWII movies I enjoy a good deal. But to each his own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:
@texasdeathmatch said:
Why not? 
The premise of WWII has been used constantly in entertainment to the point where it's monotonous (in both movies and video games). It's very cliche.    Apparently, my homegirl (or more importantly, a girl who's bothered by the fact that I'm no longer attracted to her) thinks I'm an Uncle Tom when I said I wasn't interested in the movie for this reason, even though it had nothing to do with race. 
Mofo's always pull the race card, god it's fckin annoying. You do one thing to a woman and it's RAPE! RAPE!
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Static Shock
@comicdude23 said:

Mofo's always pull the race card, god it's fckin annoying. You do one thing to a woman and it's RAPE! RAPE!

Her actual response was "Your just a little oreo cookie," which is essentially the same as calling me an Uncle Tom, but in an ignorant, 'I'm-from-the-hood' manner. 

But, that's okay. I mean, she's probably bothered by the fact that I stop calling and/or texting her phone since July of last year, which is why she talks to me sideways now.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467 said:
Almost like Godwin's law except in the media. LOL.  In a way, I agree with you, but there are still some WWII movies I enjoy a good deal. But to each his own
Dude, I haven't even seen Saving Private Ryan. That's how bad it is. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:
@comicdude23 said:
Her actual response was "Your just a little oreo cookie," which is essentially the same as calling me an Uncle Tom, but in an ignorant, 'I'm-from-the-hood' manner.  But, that's okay. I mean, she's probably bothered by the fact that I stop calling and/or texting her phone since July of last year, which is why she talks to be sideways now.
Okay. But man with a woman they need to be texted every 5 mins from a man to live, it's your life. If you don't wanna text then don't, texting is overrated IMO. I just make a call.
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Static Shock said:
@texasdeathmatch said:
Why not? 
The premise of WWII has been used constantly in entertainment to the point where it's monotonous (in both movies and video games). It's very cliche.    Apparently, my homegirl (or more importantly, a girl who's bothered by the fact that I'm no longer attracted to her) thinks I'm an Uncle Tom when I said I wasn't interested in the movie for this reason, even though it had nothing to do with race. 
Hah, that's interesting. My girl felt the same way about Red Tails (being black and having that "obligation" to watch movies like that), but she had no interest in seeing it, so I can kinda see where you're coming from. 
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF

I would rather see him stick with Star Wars and Indiana Jones for the rest of his career (no matter how bad he screws them up now) or have him move on like any other director does and let someone else take the reigns. He is a great mind but other people can come up with fresh ideas. I think if anything he should be a consultant for directors like James Cameron (i would love to see those two sit down {maybe even those two and Spielberg} and come up with something)

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Static Shock
@comicdude23 said:
Okay. But man with a woman they need to be texted every 5 mins from a man to live, it's your life. If you don't wanna text then don't, texting is overrated IMO. I just make a call.
They get salty when you don't text back or don't chase them. Oh, well. 

@texasdeathmatch said:
Hah, that's interesting. My girl felt the same way about Red Tails (being black and having that "obligation" to watch movies like that), but she had no interest in seeing it, so I can kinda see where you're coming from. 
I don't understand why Black people feel obligated to watch a movie just because it's targeting a Black audience. I mean, it's a movie. Why can't they watch it with interest? Why is the race its targeting the reason for watching it? A large percentage of films targeting a Black audience nowadays are mediocre at best (you can thank Tyler Perry). A lot of them were better in the 90's, anyway.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Silver2467
@DEGRAAF said:

I would rather see him stick with Star Wars and Indiana Jones for the rest of his career (no matter how bad he screws them up now)

Disagree. There really is nothing left for Lucas to do with Star Wars. He made his movies and has since established that there will be no more of them. He created TCW. What else is there? There is that live-action show they were intending to make, but how much involvement Lucas was supposed to have in it, I have no idea. If anything, he stopped at the right time. As for Indiana Jones, I saw a comment by Harrison Ford from a while back where he said Lucas and Spielberg were interested in making more, but I see no real reason why they should. 
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Static Shock said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

I don't understand why Black people feel obligated to watch a movie just because it's targeting a Black audience. I mean, it's a movie. Why can't they watch it with interest? Why is the race its targeting the reason for watching it? A large percentage of films targeting a Black audience nowadays are mediocre at best (you can thank Tyler Perry). A lot of them were better in the 90's, anyway.
Haha I agree, its total bullsh*t. Especially since the Tuskegee were total badasses from what I've read. But unfortunately since the movie's leading cast is all black actors, people tend it write it off just as that.  

And yes, the 90s were way better:  
No Caption Provided
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Silver2467 said:

@DEGRAAF said:

I would rather see him stick with Star Wars and Indiana Jones for the rest of his career (no matter how bad he screws them up now)

Disagree. There really is nothing left for Lucas to do with Star Wars. He made his movies and has since established that there will be no more of them. He created TCW. What else is there? There is that live-action show they were intending to make, but how much involvement Lucas was supposed to have in it, I have no idea. If anything, he stopped at the right time. As for Indiana Jones, I saw a comment by Harrison Ford from a while back where he said Lucas and Spielberg were interested in making more, but I see no real reason why they should.

And see i actually agree with you that he stopped at a good time but he should have allow others to go on with his consent (him having to read and ok the script before letting anyone get near the franchise). what is TCW

I think they could go on and on with Indiana Jones but i do think the last one was done poorly, it they actually plan on moving in the direction of Indy's son then i would be ok with that. It could become a legacy of the family.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Silver2467
@DEGRAAF said: 

And see i actually agree with you that he stopped at a good time but he should have allow others to go on with his consent (him having to read and ok the script before letting anyone get near the franchise).

I guess. 

what is TCW

The Clone Wars, the current animated show. 

I think they could go on and on with Indiana Jones but i do think the last one was done poorly, it they actually plan on moving in the direction of Indy's son then i would be ok with that. It could become a legacy of the family.

In theory, I believe they could continue the Indy franchise as well, but there is no substantial purpose for it that I can discern.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Static Shock
@texasdeathmatch: LOL @ that movie. I never did finish watching that. 
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I'd like to see him write and direct the Justice League movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Silver2467 said:

@progenitor said:

@Silver2467 said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

It is far fetched. I can understand people hating the prequels. I cannot understand people taking that to such a ridiculous extreme to say that Lucas ruined their childhood. Seriously, I pity people who had that much invested in Star Wars. And Lucas has had very little to do with the current Clone Wars show. He was the one who conceived of the idea for the show to be created. His creative input has been limited, as far as I know, and even then, the show is directed at younger viewers. Besides that, the show really should only bother people like me who can recognize the continuity flaws the show creates. You can blame it on Dave Filoni, Tim Burns, Kevin Campbell, etc. Ewoks and Indiana Jones, I agree with. Those were rather bad and were low points for Lucas. The former, however, was intended for a very young audience; so I can hardly blame him that it has no appeal to me. The latter, that was just a poor idea.

- It was a comment in jest, do you really think I feel personally scarred by his movies?

- Pathetic and pitiful applies more to someone making statements like this based off of a single comment instead of asking first. If I really felt wounded by it your scorn would be deserved, but come on

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silver2467
@WarMachineMarkV said: 

- It was a comment in jest, do you really think I feel personally scarred by his movies?

I never said you were "scarred" by anything, and your intended meaning being unstated and altogether undefined, as well as the wording of the exaggeration itself being literal in many cases, does nothing to hurt my point. Exaggerated or otherwise, it is a very unfounded remark. Maybe you were unaware of how serious some people were about the comment in question; now you know. 

Either way, I'm sorry for offending you. My reply was meant as a criticism for your post, not as an insult toward you.
Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Jayso4201

I think its great, I think the new movie looks great! His 1st movie was a small film with a big dream and I consider it to be the greatest movie ever made. So... He's a brilliant man whose ideas got away from him. We all said that we wanted to see the Jedi and Sith in action and he gave it to us, and then we all complained about it when it wasn't exactly what we wanted. And for those that don't think he has anything to do with Star Wars anymore, you are wrong nothing gets out of the SWU without him going over every detail, he is in complete control to this day. He even oversaw the Family Guy Star Wars.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By SuperTide

Fine with me.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Daveyo520

I am sure some people care. I don't.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Daveyo520 said:

I am sure some people care. I don't.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Considering that, to Lucas, "smaller" films could still easily be ones with budgets exceeding the GDP of most industrialized nations, I'm not holding my breath.