Gay Man Sues Bible

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By castleking

A gay man from Michigan is suing two bible publishers, claiming that they sell and distribute a translation of the Bible which has caused him emotional distress and violates his constitutional rights. Bradley LaShawn Fowler is seeking Zondervan for $60 million and $10 million from Thomas Nelson Publishing because their Bibles explicitly call homosexuality a sin in 1 Corinthians 6:9. In a standard King James translation, the passage reads, "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind." Fowler is alleging that the publishers "manipulated" the translation by changing "abusers of themselves with mankind" to "homosexuals."

Of course, that's not an unusual reading of that particular passage. Many other modern translations say the same thing. For example:

New International Version:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders...

New American Standard Bible:

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals....

New King James Version:

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites...

English Standard Version:

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality...

And so on. It looks like if Fowler is serious about his cause, he has a lot of suing ahead of him. Maybe the truth is that although liberal Christians wish otherwise, homophobia is a congenital part of the Bible that can't be neatly excised.

Fowler says that by calling homosexuality a sin, the Bibles published by Zondervan and Thomas Nelson have caused periods of "demoralization, chaos and bewilderment," and made him ostracized from his family. He sees the issue as being not one of legitimate translation, but of the publishers deliberately imposing an anti-gay agenda by changing the text of the Bible. He claims that Zondervan Bibles published in 1982 and 1987 used the word "homosexuals" in the text, while those before and after those editions don't. However, a Grand Rapids television station checked several editions of Bibles published by Zondervan, and says that all versions since the 1980s have said "homosexuals." For their part, Zondervan claims the case is ridiculous (and for once, we have to agree with the Christians on this); according to a spokesperson, they neither translate the Bible, nor do they own the copyrights to the translations that they publish.

http://carnalnation.com/content/27776/10/gay-man-discovers-homophobia-bible-files-lawsuit

It's an old story i just wanted to share and hear opinions.

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

You do know there is other stuff going on in the world besides religion? You don't need to make a religious thread every other day.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By castleking
@hydrabob

thx for the info. i'll look into it.
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

Sure, you do that. 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By Dracade102

Kind of a harsh reaction to a freaking bible passage... H8ers gonna H8

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By cyberninja

Must......stop.....laughing.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By castleking

i just want to point out the inaccurate translation. 

hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hydrabob--defunct
@castleking said:
O_o I thought you were pointing out that a man was suing the bible?
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By castleking

suing for the purposely mistranslating the original text into homosexual.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By jeanlucpicard

Thats hilarious. Looks like someone wants attention.
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castleking: He's suing two of them. He's not suing all of them. You listed several, so what side are you on?

(Try hitting the reply button. It makes conversation go faster.)
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By castleking
@jeanlucpicard said:
Thats hilarious. Looks like someone wants attention.
God?
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By King_Saturn
People have to understand that this type of behavior is to be expected... unfortunately some and I repeat Some Religious Folks simple don't like Gay People and will use certain verses in the Bible to place emphasis upon it... in this case these fellas decided to reinterpret the text of a New Testament Passage directly to mean something directly against Homosexuals... though I would simply argue in one since why does this passage specifically bother him... in truth, 1 Corinthians was a book written by Paul... and though Paul was an Apostle... it's not like it's directly something Yeshua said... Paul could have been just giving his input... and this does not have to directly reflect was Yeshua thinks of Gays... but that's just another way of looking at it of course...  
Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadowdoggy
@Dracade102
yeah, haters gonna hate gays, and kill them, and hang them, and treat them like second class citizens for no reason....except for an incorrect translation  
all the religious crap about homosexuals, all the public discord "in the name of Jesus" is all bs and wasn't in the actual bible that was ACTUALLY written from the apostles of Jesus 

@castleking:  
yeah I dont' know why people are giving you such a hard time about making this thread, this is actually a big deal 
not the lawsuit, but the translation 
it's the reason modern christians condemn homosexuals 
the WBC, the Teaparty, the ultra conservative religious right (or reicht, if you prefer) all use the bible as their reason for damning gay people 
but it's all in the modern translation that was done by King James in the 1700's....not Jesus 
I wish people understood that 
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Another ridiculous and frivolous lawsuit.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dracade102
@Shadowdoggy said:
@Dracade102: yeah, haters gonna hate gays, and kill them, and hang them, and treat them like second class citizens for no reason....except for an incorrect translation  all the religious crap about homosexuals, all the public discord "in the name of Jesus" is all bs and wasn't in the actual bible that was ACTUALLY written from the apostles of Jesus  

QTF.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shadowdoggy
@Nova`Prime`
it wouldn't be ridiculous if you ever had a teacher at your high school call you a heathen in the middle of class and then tell your parents you needed to "get right with Jesus" because you were gay a few days later 
and he wasn't fired 
you know, because I was wrong for being gay, he was "right with Jesus" 
and no, I didn't go to a Christian or Catholic school
Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadowdoggy
@Dracade102
were you  "quoting me for truth" or telling me to "quit fukcing talking?"
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By castleking
@Shadowdoggy said:
@Dracade102: were you  "quoting me for truth" or telling me to "quit fukcing talking?"
pretty sure it was 

but, the second possibility was funny
Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shadowdoggy
@castleking
I always wonder when people post that about something that could go either way
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dracade102
@Shadowdoggy said:
@Dracade102: were you  "quoting me for truth" or telling me to "quit fukcing talking?"
This. I wasn't even aware of the second option 'til right now...
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadowdoggy: I think he was telling you QFT because he agreed with your statement. He was talking about people suing over something that is kinda out there. You are talking about how the homosexual community has been wronged over the years.
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@Shadowdoggy: No it is ridiculous, if the person is offended why bother with it? And you're comparing this to your experience is totally different, that teacher was in the wrong, there is no defending that. But this man is suing two bible publishers because he doesn't like the content, sorry it doesn't work that way. His constitutional rights aren't being infringed upon because these publishers are not the government.

Now it would be a different story if the publishers were throwing bibles on his door step.
progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By progenitorigin

Obviously, this guy's family needs to take therapy for tolerance, because shunning someone away because of their sexual preference, IMO, is just asinine, unless they're prancing around the lawn with fairy wings and a tiara.  Why is this guy going after the bible and not his own family? Appeal to them, why blame a belief when the fault lies in the people misinterpreting the belief?
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By _Sojourn_

Just SMH 

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shadowdoggy
@Dracade102
 I didn't know until someone told me too 
now I always wonder.... 
@Nova`Prime`: 
yes, but most people do not know that they versions of the bible they have read that do condemn homosexuality are in fact mistranslated 
King James put that in there 
the original texts were really only concerned with pedophiles and rapists- not gays 
and for more than 400 years people have been using the "word of god" as a reason to hate gays 
it happens on THIS SITE ALL THE TIME!!!!! 
and it's wrong 
and someone should at least try to make it known 
hopefully this will shed a little light on it for a least a few people who think Jesus wanted them to hate gays 
you know, becuase Jesus was all about the hate
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadowdoggy said:
and for more than 400 years people have been using the "word of god" as a reason to hate gays it happens on THIS SITE ALL THE TIME!!!!! and it's wrong
What? Where? 
Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadowdoggy
@hydrabob
most recently, the other day when someone made a thread about Tim Drake being made to look gay in fan art and his response was something like "Tim is my fav character and I wouldn't like him any more. I don't agree with homosexuality because I'm a Christian" 
I was like, yeah, so's my boyfriend (he's not though, I just thought it was funny)
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@Shadowdoggy: Actually the original Greek translation said something more along the lines of man shall not lie with another man as a woman, or something like that. The bible, and most holy texts for that matter, are full of mistranslations or are altered for purposes other then the original purpose, hell documents that aren't even that old are used the same way. If this guy really was trying to show others the light he wouldn't be suing for an ridiculous reason, because attacking someone's religion is always a good way to make your point right? And that is exactly what he is doing, he's just using the judicial system to do it. So you have to ask yourself, "What if someone was suing a gay publication because it brought them emotional distress?" I am sure you'd think it was pretty ridiculous wouldn't you?
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King_Saturn
I do remember a while back someone was getting upset about gays and tried using bible passages to try to advance his beliefs... that's been a while though
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Vortex13
@Shadowdoggy said:
@Dracade102:  I didn't know until someone told me too now I always wonder.... @Nova`Prime`: yes, but most people do not know that they versions of the bible they have read that do condemn homosexuality are in fact mistranslated King James put that in there the original texts were really only concerned with pedophiles and rapists- not gays and for more than 400 years people have been using the "word of god" as a reason to hate gays it happens on THIS SITE ALL THE TIME!!!!! and it's wrong and someone should at least try to make it known hopefully this will shed a little light on it for a least a few people who think Jesus wanted them to hate gays you know, becuase Jesus was all about the hate
I remember hearing that. It is a fact that is ignored all the time and it pisses me off how nobody brings that up in debates, at least ones I've heard, since it is a highly valid argument.
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadowdoggy: Yeah I bet that guy was a little kid who didn't really know anything. He still wasn't directly attacking homosexuals, course he wasn't saying that it was ok to be one either. It's a difficult thing to talk about because the King James bible has been around for so long and is what most people learn and preach from. I'm not saying that I know anything about the bible (mostly just the high points), but people are always going to find a reason to hate someone else. Because their religion told them to is just a comfortable way for some.
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vortex13

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@castleking said:

Is that not the most common issue with the bible though? I am never astonished to hear that translations are basically quite often a twisting of gods original word.

Still find this a bit over the top though, like.. come on dude...

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By difficlus
@Nova`Prime` said:
pretty much. That's america for you...
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By difficlus

Why is the man suing that version when every version basically says the same thing?

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vortex13

In all honesty I don't think you can sue the people who wrote the newer versions of the bible since really it stems from where this clause was originally put in by (as others have said) King James. But if anything if the lawsuit brought up issues of that edition it might make more people think, but people are a stubborn lot so I'm thinking it's unlikely to have any kind of positive outcome except certain religious people claim that now gays are attacking the word of god =\

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Manchine

One of the top stupidest things I have ever heard.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By castleking
@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@castleking said:

Is that not the most common issue with the bible though? I am never astonished to hear that translations are basically quite often a twisting of gods original word.

yes.

I cant speak for the man suing for his reasoning behind it but i assume the biggest thing is that he might be able to show to everyone else is how inaccurate and how often the bible is mistranslated sometimes purposely.
Now i dont think he has a case to win b/c even hate speech is allowed under the constitution.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By King_Saturn
the thread is sort of humorous to me... 
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castleking said:

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@castleking said:

yes. I cant speak for the man suing for his reasoning behind it but i assume the biggest thing is that he might be able to show to everyone else is how inaccurate and how often the bible is mistranslated sometimes purposely. Now i dont think he has a case to win b/c even hate speech is allowed under the constitution.

Yeah, I suppose if he at least manages to shine some light on an ongoing issue then he will have done some good with his lawsuit.

I just struggle to believe that anyone is doing it for anything but the money.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By castleking
@.Mistress Redhead.

you know that there are people who do such things for the principle of the matter even at a financial cost?  >_>
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castleking said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: you know that there are people who do such things for the principle of the matter even at a financial cost? >_>

I am sure there are, I am just jaded ;)

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@difficlus said:
@Nova`Prime` said:
pretty much. That's america for you...
Unfortunately.
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ashra
@castleking said:

Of course!  To prove what a MAGNIFICENT scholar you are.  Which, is why you have a billion threads of this nature.  Dude, it's great you have internet access and that you read up on religion, but are you really needing affirmation and validation sooooo badly that you must demonstrate to the CV community every hour on the hour what a tremendous scholar you are?  

Anyway, the lawsuit is absolutely ridiculous.  He should do the same thing to the Qu'ran too because its commentary on homosexuality is nearly identical.  Sh*t like this is utterly ridiculous.  Don't like it? Don't read it?   Just because there is teaching against it doesn't mean it's promoting hate.  

I guess liars should sue because it condemns lying, same with all the adulterers and adulteresses.   Don't forget the witches and the thieves . . . SMH.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vortex13
@Ashra: I don't think he's doing it for validation. I for one find it interesting. Relax.
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ashra
@Vortex13 said:

@Ashra: I don't think he's doing it for validation. I for one find it interesting. Relax.

You're implying I'm not relaxed.  It's great you find it interesting.  I'm speaking to his burning need to create thread after thread revolving around basically the same thing with a different twist.  I'm not the only poster who has noticed this.  It's like he's trying to prove how smart he is, and it's comical.  I'm being pleasantly cynical and sarcastic.  

I think we get castleking's point. 
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By castleking
@Ashra

you realize that i only made maybe 5 threads with religion at it's center while the vast majority numbering in the hundreds have bn: vs. what ifs, games, and various others, right?  O_o

no need to get offended, if you do not like the thread or my blogs dont post in them easy as that.
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ashra said:

@castleking said:

Of course! To prove what a MAGNIFICENT scholar you are. Which, is why you have a billion threads of this nature. Dude, it's great you have internet access and that you read up on religion, but are you really needing affirmation and validation sooooo badly that you must demonstrate to the CV community every hour on the hour what a tremendous scholar you are?

If your upset at someone for making threads about issues that are important to him, then speak to them via PM or alert a mod (if its a repeated thread) but coming into their thread to have a go at them is not a positive reaction. The off topic section is used for just this sort of thing, it encourages traffic to the site and allows users a chance to take a break from constant CB talk, if he was making excessive threads the mods would alert him to it.

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ashra
@castleking said:
@Ashra:   you realize that i only made maybe 5 threads with religion at it's center while the vast majority numbering in the hundreds have bn: vs. what ifs, games, and various others, right?  O_o  no need to get offended, if you do not like the thread or my blogs dont post in them easy as that.
I'm not offended.  It's just getting pretty redudant.  It's not so much the subject of the threads, it's the reason behind why you create them.  

Just post a pic of your Ph.D in religion, we'll all applaud you, and you'll save yourself and us a lot of time.