• 67 results
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

taken from variety.com:

Gary Oldman has blasted Hollywood for what he perceives as a double standard — asserting that Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can get away with politically incorrect humor while others like Mel Gibson andAlec Baldwin cannot.

The profanity-laced statements are included in an interview with the July-August issue of Playboy. The most explosive part of the interview includes attacks on Maher, Stewart and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, following his declaration that political correctness is “crap.”

“Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c*** — and I’ll go one better, a f****** useless c*** — I can’t really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, ‘I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.’ He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, ‘You fag’? I don’t get it.”

Oldman, star of such films as “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” and the “Dark Knight” trilogy, also asserted that the culture in Hollywood during the past awards season was such that “if you didn’t vote for ’12 Years a Slave,’ you were a racist. You have to be very careful about what you say.”

He also expressed sympathy for Gibson, who declared in 2006 while being arrested that “Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.”

Gibson later apologized for the remarks.

“Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews, and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him – and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough,” Oldman said. “He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know?”

“I don’t know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things,” the actor told Playboy during the interview, which began with a discussion of Oldman’s role in “Dawn of Planet of the Apes.”

“We’re all f****** hypocrites,” he added. “That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f****** Jew?”

“I’m being brutally honest here,” Oldman said. “It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy.”

Oldman also defended Baldwin’s use of homophobic language: “Alec calling someone an F-A-G in the street while he’s pissed off coming out of his building because they won’t leave him alone. I don’t blame him. So they persecute.”

UPDATE: Douglas Urbanski, Oldman’s manager and producing partner, asserted in an email that Oldman is not a bigot.

“I have looked at the Playboy interview a few times now—in fact I was in the room during the entire 8 or 9 hours. I am unaware—as I have seen reported–of Gary Oldman defending any anti-Semitic remarks in the interview, or, for that matter, anyplace! He would not do so, and in fact he finds any kind of bigotry, homophobia, anti-Semitism, racism or sexism unacceptable and disgraceful. Period.”

“If you read the Playboy piece correctly and entirely, and in context, it is the hypocrisy of political correctness that Gary is addressing, nothing else. It simply cannot be read any other way, and to put it any other way is simply cherry picking something, stating it inaccurately, and creating news where there is none. If you read the thru line of that segment closely, it is clear that it has only to do with Political Correctness and is in no way a defense of anti-Semitism. Political Correctness is a thing that drives Gary and many many others crazy!—goodness, this theme he addressed in his film ‘Nil By Mouth,’ in 1997!”

“In this interview Gary is doing what many intelligent people do: he is illustrating the absurd by being absurd.”

again, taken from: Gary Oldman blasts Hollywood

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I enjoy saying the word c**t as well, Oldman.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He's a bit abrasive in this interview, but he's not wrong.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, Isn't this obvious ? I mean it's no different than how Black Comedians say Offensive and Racist things all the time and can get away with it... yet, White Comedians would get smashed to pieces if they got caught saying half the things that a Negro would say. It's life, Double Standards are all around us... just like all of the other social horrors of life.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, Isn't this obvious ? I mean it's no different than how Black Comedians say Offensive and Racist things all the time and can get away with it... yet, White Comedians would get smashed to pieces if they got caught saying half the things that a Negro would say. It's life, Double Standards are all around us... just like all of the other social horrors of life.

Agree with ya there.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

taken from variety.com:

Gary Oldman has blasted Hollywood for what he perceives as a double standard — asserting that Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can get away with politically incorrect humor while others like Mel Gibson andAlec Baldwin cannot.

The profanity-laced statements are included in an interview with the July-August issue of Playboy. The most explosive part of the interview includes attacks on Maher, Stewart and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, following his declaration that political correctness is “crap.”

“Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c*** — and I’ll go one better, a f****** useless c*** — I can’t really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, ‘I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.’ He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, ‘You fag’? I don’t get it.”

I'm not sure what he's ranting about. What did Jon Stewart do that he thinks is objectionable? I have no doubt that Maher has said some objectionable things, but then again making controversial comments is kind of what comedians. Maybe he did say something really offensive, i dont know.

But, making a controversial comment during a comedy routine is hardly similar to making a racist rant while drunk and pulled over by the cops.\

So, yeah, having trouble getting what his point is.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#7  Edited By Joygirl

Mixed feelz. While I technically agree with the overall point, I feel it was very poorly pitched with terrible examples, and comes off a little hypocritical himself. He bashes Maher (good for him, I hate Bill Maher) for alluding to McFarlane being gay. Yet he defends Baldwin for calling someone a fag (even specifically saying "I don't blame him"). Get your act together, Gary. Decide which side of the fence you doth stand upon.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what he's ranting about. What did Jon Stewart do that he thinks is objectionable?

He shot Mogo and failed to save Xanshi.

I'll see myself out.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl said:

Mixed feelz. While I technically agree with the overall point, I feel it was very poorly pitched with terrible examples, and comes off a little hypocritical himself. He bashes Maher (good for him, I hate Bill Maher) for alluding to McFarlane being gay. Yet he defends Baldwin for calling someone a fag (even specifically saying "I don't blame him"). Get your act together, Gary. Decide which side of the fence you doth stand upon.

He's pointing out the hypocrisy, he's not saying Maher was wrong or right to say what he did, he's noting the reactions of the public and executives as being markedly different to essentially the same behaviour coming from different celebrities.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I know what he's trying to say. I said I agreed with his point. I just said that he went about it in a roundabout way and it didn't come out well.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl: Fair enough. But you said he was being hypocritical and should decide which side of the fence to stand upon, but that's irrelevant to the point he's making about celebrity culture. I didn't find him hypocritical, a bit abrasive perhaps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree 100%.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@joygirl: This is purely opinion on my part but I think his delivery sucked because he's worked up about it. This isn't the first time he has complained about Hollywood politics.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@rogueshadow: I know what he's trying to say. I said I agreed with his point. I just said that he went about it in a roundabout way and it didn't come out well.

Right, but what RogueShadow was saying is that he didn't take a stance at all. You specifically said "he bashed Maher but defended Baldwin." Except only the latter is partially true, as he was just making an observation on the hypocrisy of it all. It was only later that he said he doesn't blame Baldwin. But his point isn't that Baldwin didn't do anything wrong, just that everyone should get bashed equally for saying similar things. Which is why when you implore Oldman to pick a side of the fence, it doesn't make much sense, and isn't really a realistic request.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joygirl

@rogueshadow: His argument was awful, that was the point I was trying to make. I understand his point and it's a good point. But it does require some thought to decipher and his coarseness makes him come off a bit bigoted. Note that his manager had to basically publically apologize for him. I realize that Gary is (probably) not a bigot, I'm merely pointing out that his little rant here came off as very contradictory to his own point if you don't take the time to chew on it.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Yup, I get it. See above. I know he wasn't defending Baldwin, it just kinda came off like he was.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl: Fair enough. But the way you said he didn't say it well wasn't well said :P

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: Very possible. @rogueshadow: Actually it was just fine, if you take the time to read it. I opened up with saying that I agree with him, and specifically mentioned that it was only the tone of his rant that I found flawed.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joygirl

@rogueshadow: I also belched my comment out in 30-40 seconds, I wasn't expecting it to be dissected. :P Whereas Oldman should have thought his rant out a bit better before pitching it. Like @erik said, he was likely too worked up about it to focus and refine his ideas.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl: But... You literally said, 'Decide which side of the fence you doth stand upon' and state that he bashes Bill Maher, which he doesn't.

These are in direct contradiction with the meaning of Oldman's statements, he isn't giving his standpoint, that isn't his aim, his aim is merely to delineate the double standard inherent within Hollywood.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl said:

@rogueshadow: I also belched my comment out in 30-40 seconds, I wasn't expecting it to be dissected. :P Whereas Oldman should have thought his rant out a bit better before pitching it. Like @erik said, he was likely too worked up about it to focus and refine his ideas.

Oh I agree it wasn't well articulated and could be perceived as something its not, but he isn't really saying anything wrong imo.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Oooonce again, I'm talking about the way he came off, not what he was saying. He didn't bash or defend, but the way he used those instances to serve his point made it SEEM like he was, which did make him seem undecided.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl said:

@rogueshadow: Oooonce again, I'm talking about the way he came off, not what he was saying. He didn't bash or defend, but the way he used those instances to serve his point made it SEEM like he was, which did make him seem undecided.

But you didn't say that, I'm not saying I'm wrong about what you think, I'm hardly in the best position to say that, but what you said in your original post didn't seem to indicate that, that's all.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rogueshadow  Moderator

@joygirl said:

@rogueshadow: I'll try to do better next time. :P

Since you're rarely wrong, I'll grant one error in communication :P

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

But you didn't say that, I'm not saying I'm wrong about what you think, I'm hardly in the best position to say that, but what you said in your original post didn't seem to indicate that, that's all.

To be completely fair, she did say right off the bat:

@joygirl said:

The way she says his poorly pitched examples were the things that made him come off a little hypocritical seems to align with her later clarification.

We're literally dissecting her post though, and we should probably stop. xD

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@jaken7 said:

He's a bit abrasive in this interview, but he's not wrong.

QFT.

@joygirl said:

I agree with his stance whole-heartedly, and understand where you're coming from as well. But let's be honest, when we get riled up we tend to explain things emotionally rather than logically. Hollywood hypocrisy chafes his sack, and I don't blame him because I HATE double standards with a passion myself. And who among us can say that when we get all fired up we don't say what we mean in a manner than might come off as abrasive or even ignorant? I know I can't. Such is the human condition. He may not have said it poetically, but we can't deny he's right. And yes I know you agree with him, just trying to point out why he may not have said it in the best manner.

All in all, good for him. I think he's a good actor and I respect anyone who calls people out on bullsh*t.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A bit blunt, and rather crude, but I agree with him. I'm kind of glad he's finally putting his foot down because he's just been screwed over by Hollywood and he's noticed it with others. Let's not forget he was originally cast as General Grievous and accepted the role until Lucas and Co. said Gary had to leave the SAG in order to take the part. While Lucas isn't a representative of Hollywood, it still is an example of the "politics" of Hollywood screwing him over.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree 100% with ol' Oldman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like a Boss.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To summarize: The two dudes that posted right above this post know what's up.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This wont change anything. Double standards like this surface and no one does anything about it. You know why? Because no one can or maybe wants to. It's like our society likes these restrictions on speech. Yet grant it to certain individuals. We like having elites who can have more privileges. It's stupid.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait...Why is Gary Oldman in Playboy?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cain_: Playboy usually has really interesting interviews actually.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference between Alec Baldwin and Bill Maher using homophobic slurs is the atmosphere. Is it scripted? and used in the heat of the moment? My only issue is that Bill Maher and the like are essentially pundits masquerading as comedians, transforming disgust into forced and awkward laughter by the flicker of an applause sign.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Freedom of speech.

I may not agree with what a lot of people say, but I am for their right to say it.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Gary Oldman. <3

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ARE YOU PEOPLE F'N SERIOUS?!

Mel Gibson said that he "hoped his wife gets raped by a pack of n*66ers". Does that sound like he's F'n joking? Comparing what Maher or Stewart would say to what Gibson says is F'n nuts! Plus, when will people learn that comedy has context.

And I like how I see all the people who are admitting they go around calling people the N word and cigarettes showing their ugly faces. You're all scumbags, each and everyone if you who agree with a single iota of what that clown Oldman said. I hope he never gets another job in Hollywood again, hateful scumbags like him shouldn't be allowed to make that much money.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

from the title of the thread, i thought i'd see something stupid, but i'm seeing real life. we're all hypocrites. some know it, 99,9% dont.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By dngn4774

@joygirl: What's wrong with Bill Maher? I love his show.

@superguy1591: Why are you mad at Oldman? All he really pointed out is that there is a doublestandard with the way Hollywood judges free speech. That isn't so controversial.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I thought Gary Oldman was better spoken than this.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dngn4774: Besides the fact that he just admitted that, when in private, he's dropping N-bombs left and right, he's defending a racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic scumbag like Mel Gibson.

Not to mention the fact that he wants SCIENCE teachers to teach Creationism in Science class and if someone who is non-Christian is opposed to that then they're just being overly sensitive and shouldn't be taken seriously. He's a scumbag.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By Fallschirmjager

The whole interview was pretty interesting. Particularly the beginning where he mentions acting is nothing really but a job. Its pretty honest and I feel like a lot of actors think that wya, despite fans wanting to romanticize the profession - no thanks to media of course.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Besides the fact that he just admitted that, when in private, he's dropping N-bombs left and right, he's defending a racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic scumbag like Mel Gibson.

Not to mention the fact that he wants SCIENCE teachers to teach Creationism in Science class and if someone who is non-Christian is opposed to that then they're just being overly sensitive and shouldn't be taken seriously. He's a scumbag.

Not sure where you got the "He loves dropping N-Bombs", or the creationist parts of your criticism but I was talking about the OP. The latter half of the OP explains the context of the interview so that fake liberals don't persecute him for bringing up such an argument. I used the term fake liberals because a real liberal would not punish intolerance with even more intolerance.

The point Oldman was making in the OP is that people should not be ostracized from society just because they don't agree with political correctness. Mel Gibson may have said many offensive things but that doesn't mean his movies aren't good or that he should be blacklisted. Racists and bigots have just as much of a right to free speech as you or I. Liberalism is not about being pro-gay or pro-evolution, it is about giving the people an open forum of ideas by tolerating views that you may not necessarily share and defending views that others would label indefensible. Calling someone a scumbag just because they do not share your values seems like a very immature way to write off an argument.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I only listened to him a couple times, every time I've seem him he's been 1) not funny, and 2) very abrasive and arrogant.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: To each their own I guess. The Standup is outdated (his jokes remind me of Leno), but Real Time is pretty interesting and opens political discussions in a fun and unorthodox sort of way. It's a decent medium between CSPAN and hack news stations such as FOX or MSNBC.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Eh, maybe. I only know what I've seen of him, I had no intention to watch more because he seemed like a really judgmental prick. He even opened one skit with calling people who believe in God "f***ing idiots" and even if that's true (which I don't think it is, many of the world's smartest people believed in some fashion of higher power) it's downright unnecessary and crude. He's said other stuff like that too, all of it couched in a big pile of not being funny. Anyone who disagrees with what he thinks seems to be an acceptable target.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Yeah, the pretty much sums it up. However, if you waive through the crudeness a lot of his criticisms are actually valid. The show is meant to be ridiculous at times to provide comic relief to very tense situations. It's easier to laugh at politicians than actually think of the full consequence of their actions. Without the crude and cheesy jokes the show would actually be very depressing.