Further proof that Comic Vine is the superior comic blog site out

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

Edited By Gold Dust Boi

I am only writing this because I honestly needed to get this out and didn't know where to put it.

I have recently tried branching out to other sites to get to know the comic book community better and meet other fans and bloggers like myself.  I have had some really good experiences so far and had some great discussions with people.  However, one site I've been posting on, I am not disclosing the name, has been a less then wonderful experience.

I have known about  this page for a long time but I used it only for issue and character information, and only recently discovered their forums section.  So far of the handful of posts I've written on this site I have been met with nasty replies, cynical attitude, grammar correction in place of critique and discussion and finally one person telling me "why should we go to your site for polls and blogs...thats why we come here".

I tried to respond to him politely with a few good reasons to check out the site (as I want everyone to enjoy it, not just people I am friendly with) and was again met with a less then friendly response of "spamming your site is against the rules".

Now not everyone was as unpleasant as this user, but I honestly haven't said very many positive comments at all.  And as I read around I found it wasn't even personal.  The general tone of all the forum was rough and slightly scathing, the very opposite of the nurturing and supportive environment I enjoy on CV.   When did the comic books stop being about fun?  Even in heated debates with other fans, I would hope that the banter would always come from a place of discovery and support not to known down other peoples ideas and thoughts.  If we aren't going to be a community and support each other then whats the point of these sites?

To be completely honest, I think I'm going to go back to just using them for back issue information and character appearances and just let this forum go by the wayside.  Even being in the middle of trying to promote a brand new blog site of my own, it just doesn't seem like as good a match of idealogies.

I don't know if this is even the right place to post this but there it is.  I feel better having gotten all that out.  Thanks for listening everyone.

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheCerealKillz

Perfect timing, might I add..

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

One thing I've noticed in my many years of using the internet is the, "shoot first, questions later" mentality. We don't have it so much here as our forums are usually frequented by the same users day in and day out so everyone kind of interacts well with each other, but on the larger sites it can feel like prepping for war.

Good luck in future promotions of your site. Paula Dean used to get doors slammed in her face while she was delivering food door to door, look where she is now (i hope everyone that read this knows who Paula Dean is or I'll be majorly disappointed).

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Zaber said:

How old are you? 10s? 20s? 30s? That blog turned me off. I m done listening to your nasty words. Take care jerk!

O_O explain this comment.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Wise Son
@Zaber said:
How old are you? 10s? 20s? 30s? That blog turned me off. I m done listening to your nasty words. Take care jerk! 

Conversely, who did that turn on? o.O
Zaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 67

#5  Edited By Zaber

Comicvine page is messing up. I click'd the forum and went in someone's forum. AFter that, I click'd the private message instead of here. I didn't say those words. I dont care if you dont believe me. I really get used to it.  Screw this up cuz I didnt do it. I have no idea what those words meant. I might be hacked or something. I m going to change my password anyways. My apologizes for all the confusion and mess. 

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zaber said:

Comicvine page is messing up. I click'd the forum and went in someone's forum. AFter that, I click'd the private message instead of here. I didn't say those words. I dont care if you dont believe me. I really get used to it. Screw this up cuz I didnt do it. I have no idea what those words meant. I might be hacked or something. I m going to change my password anyways. My apologizes for all the confusion and mess.

You also flagged this thread...... did you get confused when you read the article?

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SilverGalford

where are the mods when you need them?
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SilverGalford said:

points at self and comment to user who made said comment and said users response and wonders where are users who read back over things before commenting when you need them ;)

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SilverGalford

points at self and comment to user who made said comment and said users response and wonders where are users who read back over things before commenting when you need them ;)

sorry , i didn't meant to say something against you ,but i have seen some threads and comments like this one lately.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Aiden Cross
@SilverGalford
flag 'm. that's what the button is for.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Final Arrow

@SilverGalford said:

This is not the first time I have seen you say something like that! I was just wondering if you know how the flag system worked I have a blog about it if you don't or if you find something offensive then there is always the PM system as well that you could use to PM one of us and allow us to deal with something, that may have escaped are attention. It makes much more sense then posing where are the mods, when you could easily find one.

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SilverGalford said:

sorry , i didn't meant to say something against you ,but i have seen some threads and comments like this one lately.

But this thread from what I can tell is about how the OTHER site is bad and Comic Vine is awesome... I swear I am reading this wrong... lol

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SilverGalford

But this thread from what I can tell is about how the OTHER site is bad and Comic Vine is awesome... I swear I am reading this wrong... lol

i know ,maybe i got confused .

This is not the first time I have seen you say something like that! I was just wondering if you know how the flag system worked I have a blog about it if you don't or if you find something offensive then there is always the PM system as well that you could use to PM one of us and allow us to deal with something, that may have escaped are attention. It makes much more sense then posing where are the mods, when you could easily find one.

this can help, thanks arrow.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Final Arrow
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

@Gold Dust Boi said:
Thanks for listening everyone.
We didn`t`actually listen to you, but anyway: Well spoken.

sorry?

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: moookkaayyy ;)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#19  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Gold Dust Boi: I try not to overthink things like this, Comic Vine is place that is dependable for me, where the staff and mods are friendly and where the content is of a pretty high standard.  If another site aggravates you just dont go there ;)  
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

ComicVine is the most comprehensive as well as the most congenial comic site around. I

t's the only one I frequent; t's the best.

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
@kfhrfdu_89_76k: No offense taken at all :) I knew what you meant, but thank you @.Mistress Redhead. for jumping in there :)

@RazzaTazz: Yeah I havent been going there.  I went again and read through some forum and it really is just a bunch of people shooting down each others ideas and being snippy...PASS! 

@PowerHerc said:

ComicVine is the most comprehensive as well as the most congenial comic site around. I

t's the only one I frequent; t's the best.

HEAR HEAR!! :)
Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Ryonslaught

I can def relate, promoting my own website has been hard work
BUT
Never use places like forums whether on comicvine or otherwise for traffic.......it does not work.

On the flip side gold Dust when you finally build your own fanbase its the sweetest revenge for all the  douchbags and their negativity :P
don't sweat it most forums are full of PIPS anyway (PIP- Post important people) no substance just posting to increase a number only relevant to said website 
(never got why that was important) Ive been here from 2009 and never posted 1000 times yet have over 70'000 wiki points. If a place rubs you wrong, pack your bags and leave, I did it on wikipedia and others....get used to it on the net bro :)

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with good comic book sites and those without.