• 68 results
Posted by Voorhees100 (276 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Freddy vs Jason: Choose your side! (38 votes)

Team Freddy 26%
Team Jason 74%

Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees are without a doubt the two biggest slashers of their generation. Both have been elevated from common movie monsters to pop culture icon status. The question is, whose side are you on? Let's say a war broke out among the fandoms and you'd have to choose a side to raly behind, which would you choose? The Dead Dream Demon or the Camp Crystal Lake Killer?

#1 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason I guess.. He is atleast avenging something. Freddy is a dick. If you are asking what character I like more though I cant answer that..

#2 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt the two biggest slashers of their generation? Sorry but that would be Michael Myers.

#3 Edited by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by Wolfrazer (7674 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio
@extremis said:

Without a doubt the two biggest slashers of their generation? Sorry but that would be Michael Myers.

No way. Jason has a way bigger body count, franchise, and is way more notable all around. Mike Myers the actor is more synonymous with the name than the slasher is internationally.

#6 Posted by jwalser3 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy, he has more of a character.

#7 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: that's debatable. Halloween is often considered the quintessential slasher film as it set the standard for those films (stylistic and otherwise) and began an onslaught of slashers, especially the ones you mention. It's not about body count. It's about who is the most iconic. And considering John Carpenter's film influenced those subsequent films immeasurably, I'd say Michael Myers is the most important slasher; even the best. He's the OG.

#8 Edited by russellmania77 (15808 posts) - - Show Bio

A pedafile or a goaly

#9 Posted by GeekBait (785 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither; Myers all the way!

#10 Edited by consolemaster001 (6084 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason

#11 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy vs. Jason 2 a Possibility Link

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason.

#14 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason.

@emequious_swerve said:
@extremis said:

No way. Jason has a way bigger body count, franchise, and is way more notable all around. Mike Myers the actor is more synonymous with the name than the slasher is internationally.

That is not true Michael Myers is a big horror icon. And is certainly up there with Jason and Freddy and the like. Is there really a need to disrespect one character in favour for another?

#15 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

How can Freddy kill whats not afraid of him?

Jason was afraid for a little while. Then Jason took it to Freddy in the woods and cut his head off. ;)

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday and Jason X are on soon on AMC.

#16 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason

#17 Posted by Deadite (25134 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy has better movies but I prefer Jason when choosing a slasher.

#18 Posted by Wolfrazer (7674 posts) - - Show Bio

@kraytrawk said:

Jason was afraid for a little while. Then Jason took it to Freddy in the woods and cut his head off. ;)

? Jason was never afraid of Freddy.

#19 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy is funnier but there's something about Jason I like about him more. Plus Jason X would beat the shizz out of Freddy.

#20 Posted by Samimista (21011 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy! =D

#21 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (26850 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

Freddy! =D

This.

On another note, I would like to say both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboot's sucked big time.....Especially Elm Street....Honestly I think it's a pure disgrace to Freddy.

#22 Posted by Samimista (21011 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

Freddy! =D

This.

On another note, I would like to say both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboot's sucked big time.....Especially Elm Street....Honestly I think it's a pure disgrace to Freddy.

Hehe! xD I haven't seen the 13th reboot but do agree on the Elm Street. Seemed like it was more polished up for Hollywood? Love the old Elm Street movies though. 8D

#23 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

:Is there really a need to disrespect one character in favour for another?

Yes, yes it is :)

@extremis said:

@emequious_swerve: that's debatable. Halloween is often considered the quintessential slasher film as it set the standard for those films (stylistic and otherwise) and began an onslaught of slashers, especially the ones you mention. It's not about body count. It's about who is the most iconic. And considering John Carpenter's film influenced those subsequent films immeasurably, I'd say Michael Myers is the most important slasher; even the best. He's the OG.

No, no. The original Halloween wasn't even a "slasher" movie in the colloquial sense.It was a John Carpenter thriller, where he kills like 5 people, thats a actually a low count for a Carpenter film. The original Friday the 13th arguably started the slasher franchise, as it would have a pointless sequel like every two years and have a crazy amount of deaths in all sorts of brutal manners. Carpenter made a classic and influential movie, then made a sequel, after that, they made a movie Mike Myers wasn't even in and the next film didn't even come for another 4 years. Friday the 13th was consistent and always more popular. If you really want to talk "OG" slashers, look to Norman Bates or Leatherface.

#24 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@extremis said:

No, no. The original Halloween wasn't even a "slasher" movie in the colloquial sense.It was a John Carpenter thriller, where he kills like 5 people, thats a actually a low count for a Carpenter film. The original Friday the 13th arguably started the slasher franchise, as it would have a pointless sequel like every two years and have a crazy amount of deaths in all sorts of brutal manners. Carpenter made a classic and influential movie, then made a sequel, after that, they made a movie Mike Myers wasn't even in and the next film didn't even come for another 4 years. Friday the 13th was consistent and always more popular. If you really want to talk "OG" slashers, look to Norman Bates or Leatherface.

Tehcnically, Psycho started the slasher genre (even then, there could be films that came before it that had "slashers" aka, killers who used knives or other sharp weapons to kill their victims in bloody ways) Also, A Texas Chainsaw Massacre came before Halloween too. Not saying that Halloween isn't important, Sean S. Cunningham even came out and said he ripped off Halloween for Friday the 13th, but in terms of merchandising, name and face recognition and box office success, I'd put Jason over Michael.

#25 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe said:

@kraytrawk said:

That BS fear they made up in Freddy vs Jason when Jason was afraid of water (or perhaps a subconcious fear of drowning?)

#26 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

Tehcnically, Psycho started the slasher genre (even then, there could be films that came before it that had "slashers" aka, killers who used knives or other sharp weapons to kill their victims in bloody ways) Also, A Texas Chainsaw Massacre came before Halloween too. Not saying that Halloween isn't important, Sean S. Cunningham even came out and said he ripped off Halloween for Friday the 13th, but in terms of merchandising, name and face recognition and box office success, I'd put Jason over Michael.

Meh, everyone's an expert I suppose. The fact is that the slasher genre would not be what it is today without the Friday the 13th series. In fact, there probably would not have been a third or fourth Halloween movie without the Friday franchise.

#27 Edited by Wolfrazer (7674 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@wolfrazer said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

@kraytrawk said:

That BS fear they made up in Freddy vs Jason when Jason was afraid of water (or perhaps a subconcious fear of drowning?)

As said...Jason was never afraid. Sure for that one instance you could say, but that's nothing more than some big PIS/CIS bull.

#28 Posted by Pokeysteve (8658 posts) - - Show Bio

Of those two I'd pick Jason easily.

@extremis said:

Agreed. Him and Jason should be at the top. Then Freddy.

Chucky comes up short :D

#29 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: the fact still remains that Halloween is the first proper, realized slasher film. Hence why Mike Myers is the OG.

TCM and Psycho were certainly influential to that and had certain elements before Halloween did but Halloween created the mold for which all slasher films then followed - the voyueristic nature of the murders, the slut character, the innocent female heroine, etc.

Why fight it? It's common knowledge.

#30 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: yes I know about Psycho and TCM, I never said Halloween was the first horror movie to come up with those ideas, but that it was the first proper slasher film in that it set the mold and was the example for all following slasher films.

Every film is influenced by another, but Halloween is the first one to take all these slasher elements and put them together making it the first true slasher.

#31 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

Gold Team Rules!!!!

#32 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: What ideas are you talking about? The only idea that was in Halloween that wasn't in the others was the idea of a supernatural killer. For instance, Psycho created many slasher tropes

1. The Final Girl.

2. Violent/bloody scenes (the shower scene was violent for its time period)

3. POV shots where the audience is the killer

4. The killer stalking his victim

5. Surprise/twist ending

6. Macabre subject matter, both with Norman keeping his mother's corpse and the corpses of other dead things.

#33 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio
@extremis said:

@emequious_swerve: the fact still remains that Halloween is the first proper, realized slasher film. Hence why Mike Myers is the OG.

TCM and Psycho were certainly influential to that and had certain elements before Halloween did but Halloween created the mold for which all slasher films then followed - the voyueristic nature of the murders, the slut character, the innocent female heroine, etc.

You're just claiming that a influenced b. Well, Zorro influenced Batman but it doesn't change the fact that Batman is still infinitely more popular and better received and pretty much without him, the "normal human crime fighter" archetype or comics for that matter, wouldn't be what it is today.

Its common knowledge that e comes after y when spelling voyeuristic.

#35 Edited by Wolfrazer (7674 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman:

"She wouldn't even harm a fly...."

Ugh, Norman's look at the end, when he slowly stares up at the camera and smiles...chilling.

#37 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

And yet again Black Christmas goes unnoticed.

Id of thought it would have got mentioned by now. I am disappointed.

@extremis said:

No not really. Considering the fact it comes down to who you like better really,which is down personal taste as opposed to which is the most iconic. They are all really on the same level when it comes to it.

I think it is safe to say that Halloween is a slasher film and there is no debate about. Id consider Texas Chainsaw Massacre a slasher too, which would technically make it the first slasher film since it was actually released before Black Christmas, a few months before, but still.

#38 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

Freddy, he has more of a character.

#39 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: well if you want to talk about which is the most well received, Halloween is often considered the best of the slasher films as well as the most iconic. So I'm not sure how you're argument helps Friday the 13th.

Anyway you are missing the larger point, Michael Myers is at the very least in the discussion. And I'm not the only one who considers him the premier slasher. There are others on this thread voicing their opinion that they would agree wth me.

His omission from the choices is the real problem here.

#40 Posted by Ostyo (9708 posts) - - Show Bio

Mike Meyers stomps them all. YEAH BABY!

#41 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: you're not hearing me. I know the word slasher has even used previously to describe elements from older horror movies that have gone on to create what is now the slasher genre. The point is Psycho is not a slasher. Did it influence the genre? Yes. But Halloween is the first one to be an amalgamation of all these elements, thusly solidifying the "slasher" mold and setting precedence by taking all these things into account.

The Doors influenced Iggy Pop, who is often considered the grandfather of punk. But to call the doors the first proper punk band would be ludicrous. Just because something as a source of inspiration for something, doesn't automatically put it in the same genre. Of course it deserves its due respect but thats not what we seem to be discussing. We are talking about full on Slasher films. And Halloween is like the Ramones or the Clash to Psycho's the Doors. One is a proper punk band and the other isn't. Same goes for Halloween and Psycho for proper slasher films. Do you not understand the difference here?

Also, the take home point here, and what no one else is addressing, is that Myers deserves to be in the discussion. Personally taste is one thing, but denying that Myers is in the same class as the two choices is ridiculous.

Maybe I'll make my own thread :)

#42 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@emequious_swerve: well if you want to talk about which is the most well received, Halloween is often considered the best of the slasher films as well as the most iconic. So I'm not sure how you're argument helps Friday the 13th.

Anyway you are missing the larger point, Michael Myers is at the very least in the discussion. And I'm not the only one who considers him the premier slasher. There are others on this thread voicing their opinion that they would agree wth me.

Why can't we just get along. And understand the fact they are just as iconic. And it comes down to personal preference which characters we like more.

The reason Myers and other slashers were omitted is likely down to the fact both Freddy and Jason fought in a crossover. And it is a vote between those two characters as opposed to a "which is your favorite slasher.

I think most of this has being blown out of proportion.

#43 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Why can't we just get along. And understand the fact they are just as iconic. And it comes down to personal preference which characters we like more.

The reason Myers and other slashers were omitted is likely down to the fact both Freddy and Jason fought in a crossover. And it is a vote between those two characters as opposed to a "which is your favorite slasher.

I agree. But when people are acting like Myers isn't a premier slasher, I have to set it right lol

#44 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy is a pedophile, so I prefer Jason. As a character, I can't really say. I'd rather encounter Jason, though. (Although if given the choice, I'd steer clear of both.)

#45 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason has the most movies so of course he has the highest kill count.

#46 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the scene I was talking about.

#47 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@extremis said:

I agree. But when people are acting like Myers isn't a premier slasher, I have to set it right lol

I don't think anyone has really said otherwise.

And Halloween was not the first slasher film, it was Black Christmas. Halloween may have been the one to influence other slasher films but it was not the first.

#48 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddy's always been the more interesting monster to me. Although, both can be done very well.

Too bad they were both ruined so hard.

#49 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

Yes, some people have been claiming Myers has no business being mentioned with other slashers.

And dude I never said it was the first slasher film. I said it "brought on the onslaught" of slasher films in the 80s and was the first "proper" slasher meaning that it set the mold for which all subsequent slasher films would borrow from. It was the game changer, not Black Christmas.

When people think of iconic slasher films, Halloween stands apart as the forerunner for a plethora of slasher films. It's an iconic film and the quintessential slasher. That's the point I've been making over and over again.

#50 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@mrdecepticonleader:

Yes, some people have been claiming Myers has no business being mentioned with other slashers.

And dude I never said it was the first slasher film. I said it "brought on the onslaught" of slasher films in the 80s and was the first "proper" slasher meaning that it set the mold for which all subsequent slasher films would borrow from. It was the game changer, not Black Christmas.

When people think of iconic slasher films, Halloween stands apart as the forerunner for a plethora of slasher films. It's an iconic film and the quintessential slasher. That's the point I've been making over and over again.

As I said this thread is really more to do with Freddy vs Jason. Than slashers in general.

But it wasn't the first "proper" slasher film. It inspired the onslaught of slasher films though.