#1 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't people wrap their heads around this?

#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7829 posts) - - Show Bio

lol. Yeah. I know what you mean (coming from a big fan of the Universal monster movies).. I don't really mind it though when people refer to the monster as Frankenstein though. Just kind of gotten use to it.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (24361 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most know this by now, it's just "Frankenstein" has more of a ring to it than "Frankenstein's Monster".

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

wow i was just talking about that today

i agree its not that hard. really who has not read the book.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24361 posts) - - Show Bio

wow i was just talking about that today

i agree its not that hard. really who has not read the book.

I haven't read the book...but the movie also says it.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

it just bugs me

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. The monster is called Solomon Grundy. Nyahahaha!

#9 Posted by Fitzwilly (21 posts) - - Show Bio

And The Doctor is not named Who

Jason Voorhees was not the killer in Friday the 13th

Werewolves get their power from the moon yet it just refracted sun light

Need I go on?

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@fitzwilly: Actually the full moon thing with werewolves was invented by Hollywood, in most of the legends it was either a nightly thing or brought on through witchcraft or wearing the skin of the animal.

#11 Edited by Fitzwilly (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@fitzwilly: Actually the full moon thing with werewolves was invented by Hollywood, in most of the legends it was either a nightly thing or brought on through witchcraft or wearing the skin of the animal.

I knew about the witchcraft and skin parts but not Hollywood, Thanks! :)

#12 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

i wish i could make a monster

#13 Posted by Violens (543 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's just how people remember the concept, and people are f**king stupid.

Frankenstein's monster is also intelligent in the book, and notably lacks a green complexion. Or square head.

#15 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18042 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought it was the name he took to name himself.I know he wasn't originally called that but I like that idea.

@innervenom123 said:

Because that's just how people remember the concept, and people are f**king stupid.

Frankenstein's monster is also intelligent in the book, and notably lacks a green complexion. Or square head.

Yeah wasn't he described as yellow instead? I mean that would have worked better than green at least.

@fitzwilly: Well Jason wasn't the killer in the first movie.I honestly have never heard people mix that up.

#16 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Linkara showed some proof that the monster was also called Frankenstein.

#17 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13129 posts) - - Show Bio

it was originally just the Doctor's name but people have simply chosen to call the monster that as well. no big deal besides, i remember the monster referring to Victor as "Father" somewhere its not massive stretch for the monster to take the name as well.

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12766 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, honestly Mary Shelley should have named the novel "Doctor Frankenstein" but....whatever. People have been calling the monster Frankenstein ever since the book was released almost 200 years ago.

#20 Posted by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well go with the crowed on this one. Everyone calls him Frankenstein. I see no reason why we shouldn't.

#21 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1527 posts) - - Show Bio

And Soylent Green is People.........

I'm ok with people calling Dr Franks Monster Frank, sort of like when people call you by your last name. not a big deal....

What I can't stand is people thinking that King Kong could ever even last a minute with Godzilla..... Blasphemy :)

#22 Edited by JediXMan (30592 posts) - - Show Bio

I always refer to him as Frankenstein's Monster.

#23 Posted by SC (13105 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually the doctor was the monster unless you think physical deformities are worse than unethical cruelness and that is beside the point since I don't think you all realize that they were actually the same character. The book was basically Fight Club and Silence of the Lambs before those two things happened. So there was no separate creation, only a mental reinvention coupled with a personality breakdown. A mad cynical old man trying to escape the foils of old age and impotency trying to reinvent himself as his son, a √úbermensch, a Superman, but failing and ending up like some mutie freak morlock mutant, forgive my language Havok. Some deep stuff my peeps. Also to add that in bizarro universe where their could be two separate characters the doctor (the actual monster) and his creation (viewed as the monster by the ignorant and all too human towns people, the doctor does take the role of the father, obviously not biological father, but literal father, no wait, metaphorical father. Which makes both characters Frankenstein, as in their surname. Sort of like how George Bush is Bush and George Bush is Bush too... wait maybe not the best example. Oh I know. Jet Lee is a Lee like his father Bruce Lee is a Lee. They are both Lee's and is accurate to call them both Lee's.

There. All much simpler now.

#24 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

No - it's not okay to call it Frankenstein. The author gave it no name -- Frankenstein's monster is apt and that's how I always referred to it. When I come across it being referred to as Frankenstein I don't go into rage mode, but to me, it's ignorant and so either I impart information to correct that or roll my eyes if the person could care less.

#26 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind it either way, honestly. Sure, Frankenstein was the doctor's name, but by this point - culturally - the name is already readily associated with the monster. I'm not gonna get flustered over it.

On a somewhat related note, Shelley's original novel was depressing as hell...