Fox News vs. MSNBC

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

We know both are horribly biased. Who is MORE biased? Who is more unreasonable? Who does a better job of reporting the news? Which do you prefer if any?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

To be honest, I don't like either.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Fox News redefines bias on some levels.

They also redefine idiocy.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cameron83

cornucopia

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman  Online

SMH at anyone who thinks one is better.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Personally I avoid Fox News at all costs. There is really no point in even wasting my time, my brain literally shrinks when I watch it.

I realize that MSNBC is just as biased in the other direction, and I honestly don't like the network at large, but I do have a soft spot for Rachel Maddow and Ezra Klein.

Run me out of town for being a long-haired hippy, I know. That said I really just can't stand Ed Schultz or Chris Matthews. It's like watching Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh if they had the exact opposite beliefs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fox News is great people...there is no better 24 hour comedy channel on TV

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
both channels are heavily bias... it's just that the stuff from FOX News seems to be more ridiculous than what comes out from MSNBC... 
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By agent9149

They are both bias to their side of spectrum.

But at least msnbc shows their bias with facts. They usually have actual videos, and proof. Fox just lies.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By willpayton

Both MSNBC and Fox News are biased, but not to the same extent. On a scale of 1 to 10, MSNBC is like a 7 towards the left, while Fox is like a 9 towards the right.

Also, while MSNBC has a left-leaning slant, Fox News outright lies and misrepresents the truth almost all the time. They have an agenda to push, and the network is more like propaganda than commentary. Not just that, but they are actively run by Republicans and members of the Romney campaign.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/09/10/the-members-of-romneys-campaign-who-work-for-fo/189821

Lets also look at how many Republican Presidential or VP candidates have worked for Fox News... Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum.

The takeaway here is that Fox News is not just a "biased" network, it is actually just a part of the Republican party, and to some extent the Romney campaign.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kuonphobos

For television news I mostly watch CNN International and occasionally the BBC.

IMO between Fox and MSNBC MSNBC is the absolute worst. Consistantly make no attempt to hide their bias in any time slot.

Fox is relatively decent between 6pm-8pm, which is the only time I tune in when I do.

I also watch AC360 fairly regularly.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By willpayton

@kuonphobos said:

IMO between Fox and MSNBC MSNBC is the absolute worst. Consistantly make no attempt to hide their bias in any time slot.

Fox is relatively decent between 6pm-8pm, which is the only time I tune in when I do.

If you actually think MSNBC is worse than Fox News than you must not be paying attention. Try watching some Hannity.

While MSNBC tends to the left, they actually still employ conservatives who come on and give their views. Any liberals on Fox that I've seen are a joke, and usually get drowned out by multiple conservatives when they talk. So, while MSNBC has a bias, they dont actively try to misrepresent what's actually happening in the world. Fox News only claims to be "fair and balanced" (what a joke), but the agenda is clear.. whatever happens, anywhere, find the worst possible spin on that event and then blame it on the President. It doesnt matter what it is... it could be an Earthquake... it's Obama's fault.

Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
IfDCRuledTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are biased, however, if I'm gonna be lied to...might as well be by a pretty face. Fox News has some of the best looking female anchors. And if they tell me it's Obama's fault, than by golly he did it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I've been doing my best to avoid these shows in general for awhile now, but I will say one thing.  I love that MSNBC was essentially upset with the President after the first debate.  Sure, I recall some people trying to justify why he did poorly, but the fact remained they recognized he "lost" the debate and was ultimately a letdown.  I never saw the same kind of honesty from Fox when Romney clearly "lost" the other two debates.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By willpayton

@k4tzm4n said:

I've been doing my best to avoid these shows in general for awhile now, but I will say one thing. I love that MSNBC was essentially upset with the President after the first debate. Sure, I recall some people trying to justify why he did poorly, but the fact remained they recognized he "lost" the debate and was ultimately a letdown. I never saw the same kind of honesty from Fox when Romney clearly "lost" the other two debates.

When Obama lost that debate, MSNBC was the most critical. That fits in with what I said above, they are left-leaning, but not trying to push the agenda of the Democrats or Obama. They agree with Obama on a lot, but it's their legitimate positions on the issues, not the talking points they are handed every day. When Obama disappoints them or does something they dont like, they call him on it.

On Fox News, when Romney/Ryan lost the next debates, what did they do? They made fun of Biden, accused the moderators, and just generally made it seem like Romney/Ryan actually won and it's the "liberal media" that says they lost.

It's not right to say that Fox News are delusional, they know what they're saying is false, they just believe that if you say the same lie enough times, it'll become the truth. At least that's what they're trying to do with the people that regularly watch them. If they say that Obama is the worst president ever, hates America, and he destroyed the economy... a lot of their viewers will believe them no matter what the actual facts are.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By PowerHerc

Both are horribly biased but MSNBC polishes their b.s. better.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kuonphobos

@WillPayton said:

@kuonphobos said:

If you actually think MSNBC is worse than Fox News than you must not be paying attention. Try watching some Hannity.

While MSNBC tends to the left, they actually still employ conservatives who come on and give their views. Any liberals on Fox that I've seen are a joke, and usually get drowned out by multiple conservatives when they talk. So, while MSNBC has a bias, they dont actively try to misrepresent what's actually happening in the world. Fox News only claims to be "fair and balanced" (what a joke), but the agenda is clear.. whatever happens, anywhere, find the worst possible spin on that event and then blame it on the President. It doesnt matter what it is... it could be an Earthquake... it's Obama's fault.

I cant stand Hannity or O'Reilly or The Ed Show or R Maddow or Chris Matthews.....all are cool-aid drinkers.....that is why I stated that I only watch Fox between 6pm and 8pm if I watch them at all.

It is pretty clear to me that if one leans right then Fox is less biased and if one leans left than MSNBC is less biased. It merely reflects this country's polarization. EITHER WAY they are both biased and not worth my time. An argument as to which one is more biased is a complete waste of time.

Remember Bush Derangement Syndrome? Remember Christ Matthew's tingle up his leg? Ridiculous.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By _Zombie_

They're both heavily biased, crappy shows. MSNBC is just less annoying about it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dernman  Online
@Dernman said:
SMH at anyone who thinks one is better.
Still this.
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By willpayton

@kuonphobos said:

I cant stand Hannity or O'Reilly or The Ed Show or R Maddow or Chris Matthews.....all are cool-aid drinkers.....that is why I stated that I only watch Fox between 6pm and 8pm if I watch them at all.

Hannity is the absolute worse. I get the urge to punch him in the face whatever I see him. I can only stand around 5 seconds of him speaking before I have to change the channel.

@kuonphobos said:

It is pretty clear to me that if one leans right then Fox is less biased and if one leans left than MSNBC is less biased. It merely reflects this country's polarization. EITHER WAY they are both biased and not worth my time. An argument as to which one is more biased is a complete waste of time.

Remember Bush Derangement Syndrome? Remember Christ Matthew's tingle up his leg? Ridiculous.

They are not both equally biased. I already gave evidence to demonstrate this.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By SupremeHyperion

they are pretty much the same thing. when two things reach a certain extrem don't they just become the same thing?

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kuonphobos

@WillPayton said:

@kuonphobos said:

Hannity is the absolute worse. I get the urge to punch him in the face whatever I see him. I can only stand around 5 seconds of him speaking before I have to change the channel.

Yes I completely agree. I can't stand his voice nor his "nanny nanny boo boo" commentary

@kuonphobos said:

Yes you did. I just don't agree with it.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By willpayton

@SupremeHyperion said:

they are pretty much the same thing. when two things reach a certain extrem don't they just become the same thing?

They are not the same thing, nor are they equally at the extremes. MSNBC is a left-leaning network. Many of their shows come from a very liberal point of view. Fox News is a propaganda network to push the Republican party and the Romney candidacy. They not only push their conservative agenda, but they misrepresent the truth and lie whenever they can get away with it. When they get called on it they rarely admit it. They have entire shows (for example Hannity) whose only purpose are to attack the President. It doesnt matter what has happened in the world, if it can be spun in a negative way they will do so, and blame it on Obama.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By willpayton

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

Yes I completely agree. I can't stand his voice nor his "nanny nanny boo boo" commentary

I just hate his ever-present smug attitude and smirk. I hate the way he used to constantly call Obama the "Anointed One". Most of all I hate how his show is about one thing, and only one... attacking Obama. At least O'Reilly is more subtle about attacking Obama.

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

Yes you did. I just don't agree with it.

Ok.

Avatar image for prince_rehtestroc
Prince_RehteStroC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Equally biased on opposite ends of the spectrum. You just have more people trying to declare MSNBC as less biased because more people identify themselves as Democrat than Republican. I'd say MSNBC is a bit better at disguising their bias (probably because people are more willing to look over it if it's liberal bias) but Fox news is more hilarious with how upfront they are with their bias.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kuonphobos

@SupremeHyperion

@WillPayton said:

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

I just hate his ever-present smug attitude and smirk. I hate the way he used to constantly call Obama the "Anointed One". Most of all I hate how his show is about one thing, and only one... attacking Obama. At least O'Reilly is more subtle about attacking Obama.

O'Reilly at least is quick to point out the difference between himself as having "opinions" whilst saying that the 6pm and 7pm slots are more "hard" news (his words). Huckabee pointed this out last night as well in an interview with the Catherine Harridge who seems to be the only person actually investigating Benghazi.

Despite all the left/right bias Fox News is still crushing all other channels combined (at least they say so I haven't really looked into it) in viewership and are the only ones actually investigating Benghazi (although I am not foolish enough to think they are doing this simply for the sake of "hard" news) . CNN/ the NBC affiliates seem to be waiting until the election is over to even talk about it for fear if hurting Barak's chances.

I actually sat down and forced myself to sit through the MSNBC lineup the other night (I will admit I avoid them like the plague based on what I saw during the 2008 insanity and subsequent viewings) but with my recent viewing I saw absolute liberal bias to the point that Obama could sacrifice a small child on the stage, eats it's heart out, look up at the camera and pull a Hannibal Lechter and Matthews, Maddow, Ed, etal would spin it as "doesn't he have real gravitas?" or some such BS.

How's that for my bias against their bias?

Pick yer poison. We are all gonna gravitate to the folks who look and think like us when we go to the cafeteria.

Avatar image for prince_rehtestroc
Prince_RehteStroC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ I like the way this guy thinks.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By willpayton

@kuonphobos said:

@SupremeHyperion

@WillPayton said:

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

O'Reilly at least is quick to point out the difference between himself as having "opinions" whilst saying that the 6pm and 7pm slots are more "hard" news (his words). Huckabee pointed this out last night as well in an interview with the Catherine Harridge who seems to be the only person actually investigating Benghazi.

Despite all the left/right bias Fox News is still crushing all other channels combined (at least they say so I haven't really looked into it) in viewership and are the only ones actually investigating Benghazi (although I am not foolish enough to think they are doing this simply for the sake of "hard" news) . CNN/ the NBC affiliates seem to be waiting until the election is over to even talk about it for fear if hurting Barak's chances.

The other news channels are probably not "investigating" Benghazi because we've already learned basically what there is to know and there's no real scandal there. Fox just keeps harping on it because they've decided that they can try to spin it as a huge scandal to hurt Obama. No surprise there. It's no different than when they bring out a story from 12 years ago with a headline of "Breaking News" to try to hurt Obama, but the truth is that the story was covered 12 years ago and no one gave a shit about it. Fox just says whatever BS they want because they know a lot of their audience is clueless and doesnt know any better.

@kuonphobos said:

I actually sat down and forced myself to sit through the MSNBC lineup the other night (I will admit I avoid them like the plague based on what I saw during the 2008 insanity and subsequent viewings) but with my recent viewing I saw absolute liberal bias to the point that Obama could sacrifice a small child on the stage, eats it's heart out, look up at the camera and pull a Hannibal Lechter and Matthews, Maddow, Ed, etal would spin it as "doesn't he have real gravitas?" or some such BS.

This is obviously not true. I already gave a perfect example above of how MSNBC criticized the President for days about his bad performance in the first debate, and you just ignored it and said you "disagree". So, disagree or not, what you're claiming here is just not true. MSNBC has demonstrated that they are in fact willing to criticize the President and are not mindless mouthpieces only there to say how great he is. What you're describing is Fox News, not MSNBC. I'm not saying you have to like them, but please be intellectually honest here.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Prince_RehteStroC said:

Equally biased on opposite ends of the spectrum. You just have more people trying to declare MSNBC as less biased because more people identify themselves as Democrat than Republican. I'd say MSNBC is a bit better at disguising their bias (probably because people are more willing to look over it if it's liberal bias) but Fox news is more hilarious with how upfront they are with their bias.

I don't think they are EQUALLY biased.  
kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kuonphobos

@WillPayton said:

@kuonphobos said:

This is obviously not true. I already gave a perfect example above of how MSNBC criticized the President for days about his bad performance in the first debate, and you just ignored it and said you "disagree". So, disagree or not, what you're claiming here is just not true. MSNBC has demonstrated that they are in fact willing to criticize the President and are not mindless mouthpieces only there to say how great he is. What you're describing is Fox News, not MSNBC. I'm not saying you have to like them, but please be intellectually honest here.

You left out this part: "How's that for my bias against their bias? Pick yer poison. We are all gonna gravitate to the folks who look and think like us when we go to the cafeteria."

I used this new fangled technique calle "hyperbole"

They are equally biased. One example of them reinforcing their narrative of Obama's invincibility with faux indignation cannot make me unsee what I observed. MSNBC is as biased as Al Gore's Current TV and equally as biased (in the other direction) as Fox. All three are propaganda for their respective positions.

The End.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@WillPayton said:

They have entire shows (for example Hannity) whose only purpose are to attack the President. It doesnt matter what has happened in the world, if it can be spun in a negative way they will do so, and blame it on Obama.

Yea, Hannity is the worst with the Obama hate. He doesn't even TRY to come off as fair.
Stevens61310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stevens61310

Any time I hear the phrase Fox News I am always reminded of the joke that goes like this: Is that true? Or did you hear it on Fox News?

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By SuperTide

lmao at the hate coming from liberals on here about fox news.lol babykillers.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By SuperTide

They both slant to their respective sides. Liberals hate Fox News bc they don't want the other side's point of view to be heard.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AtPhantom

So out of curiosity, is there any news station in America that isn't horribly biased?

Aside from Comedy Central, I mean.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

The both suck *exit's thread*

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sufferthorn

@AtPhantom said:

So out of curiosity, is there any news station in America that isn't horribly biased?

Aside from Comedy Central, I mean.

CNN is about as unbiased as you get. But even they swing democratic.

But if something serious happens(like right now with the New York Hurricane). I'm watching CNN for reliability.