• 119 results
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By willpayton

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/jan/29/punditfact-checks-cable-news-channels/

No Caption Provided

"At Fox and Fox News, 10 percent of the claims PunditFact has rated have been True, 11 percent Mostly True, 18 percent Half True, 21 percent Mostly False, 31 percent False and nine percent Pants on Fire.

That means about 60 percent of the claims checked have been rated Mostly False or worse."

While I doubt that many people on CV watch Fox News regularly and rely on it for their news/facts/opinions... you probably know people or a relative who does. So, next time they tell you all about how horrible Obama is and how they learned it on Fox News, please pass on this bit of information... Fox News is a lying propaganda network for the Republican Party. They barely pretend to not be so. Much of what they say is either flat out lies, or barely disguised hatred and misinformation.

No Caption Provided

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I wouldn't say they're a bag of lies but they aren't exactly consistent. If you want to really watch news, screw watching the American channels they all have biased info (don't get me started on MSNBC load of sh!t is what they are). Just watch BBC or get your news from Reddit.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Old news

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Its not any more than ABC apparently :v

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you see Stacey Dash on there saying that women that get raped are "bad girls who like to be naughty" and they have only themselves to blame? Fox News is a sh*t hole

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Did you see Stacey Dash on there saying that women that get raped are "bad girls who like to be naughty" and they have only themselves to blame? Fox News is a sh*t hole

You're being very generous.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

This is surprising to people? I know most probably know this but pretty much all media these days is spin, whether it's Fox or anyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is surprising to people? I know most probably know this but pretty much all media these days is spin, whether it's Fox or anyone else.

Quoted for truth.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Humans are naturally accepting of information that supplement their own views and are equally skeptical of data that challenges it. We hear what we want to hear and don't fact-check what already sounds good to us. In an era where journalism is entirely dependent on ad revenue people now have the option of choosing their own reality. Newstands and search engines have now become the metaphorical equivalent to Morpheus holding out red and blue pills in his palms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ I agree.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I watch BBC and Al Jazeera.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By judasnixon
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

Humans are naturally accepting of information that supplement their own views and are equally skeptical of data that challenges it. We hear what we want to hear and don't fact-check what already sounds good to us. In an era where journalism is entirely dependent on ad revenue people now have the option of choosing their own reality. Newstands and search engines have now become the metaphorical equivalent to Morpheus holding out red and blue pills in his palms.

True

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

True

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

THEIR LIARS

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

F*k it, I watch John Stewart for my news, it's a lot funnier...

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing Canada banned their ass off.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

PolitiFact has been mocked and derided by all sides of the political spectrum for years for the frequently shoddy and sometimes outright bizarre ways they collect data and present analyses, so the source doesn't really provide much insight beyond pandering to judgments already held. That said, all news channels are propaganda networks, and those who think MSNBC or the Daily Show or Al-Jazeera are any better are deluding themselves --- look at Al-Jazeera's American correspondents getting into a Twitter fight with their Qatar-based editor because he wanted them to downplay or ignore the Islam angle to the Charlie Hebdo attack. If the American people had any idea what a pack of crooks the media consisted of, journalists would be getting shot in the street every single day. It used to be a responsible calling; now it is possibly one of the most dishonorable professions that are still legal.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren:

@ccraft said:

^

@willpayton: You fell victim to confirmation bias D:

I dont see how. If there's specific criticisms of the site and their methodology, lets see them. Vague criticisms about being "mocked and derided by all sides" are not meaningful, and only suggests that they're calling out all sides equally. Criticisms of specific fact checks are fine and all, but only meaningful if they show a systemic and widespread fault. That is to say, that when you check as much stuff as they do, some of it will obviously not be perfect.

From what I've seen, they've been accused of having both a liberal AND conservative bias. And, for all the criticism, there's also been plenty of praise. In 2009 they won a Pulitzer Price for their efforts. I have little doubt that if I wait around for Fox News to win a Pulitzer, I'll die of old age waiting.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#22  Edited By BatWatch

Politicfact rated Obama's claim, "If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan," true in 2008. Five years later, when it was much too late to stop the implementation of Obamacare, they called it the biggest lie of the year.

Politifact is a useful resource at times, but they are blatantly partisan covering for liberals and attacking conservatives whenever they can. Only when a liberal lie is so obvious that everyone can see it do they call a clear lie a lie.

If Politifact had an ounce of integrity, MSNBC would be miles ahead of FOX in lie count. MSNBC has actually had a host say that there are no glitches in the Obamacare website and that President Obama has never done anything wrong. Did they fact check those claims?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: No. You are wrong. Fox is no less or more credible than CNN, NPR, MSNBC or any of the other news organizations out there. At this point in American history, in this sad doomed country it's best to trust no one and believe in nothing.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BatWatch

@mark_stephen said:

Thank you for that calm bit of advice, Detective Mulder.

I agree Fox is no worse than most other news organizations, but the nation is only doomed in so far as people believe it's doomed. Though you shouldn't fully trust any news source, you can hear what they say, take into account their bias and get multiple angles on the same story to try to gain perspective. Writing off the world isn't helpful.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fox's problem is that they have too many opinion people. Politifact's problem is that it's left leaning and thus, likely to disagree with Fox's opinion people. The vast majority of Fox's opponents disagree with their opinions and thus use that to attack their hard news. Fox's hard news isn't as good as it should be, but it's still better than their opposition. At least Fox never entertained the idea that the Malaysia flight that disappeared had been sucked into a black hole...

Loading Video...

Also, that lady argued that a black hole would suck in our entire universe... Sorry, but that's just stupid.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Tide goes in tide goes out.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dshipp17

It's for political reasons that I usually watch CNN instead of Fox News most of the time. But, I actually remember the time when Fox News was just an upstart, struggling network, while CNN was the real deal. Back in the early 2000s, just when I was about to give Fox News a hefty try, as Fox News was more like CNN, when it was an upstart, struggling network, they blatantly made it clear that they were going in the Republican direction; so, that turn initially created a permanent rift between me and that network, until more than 7 years had passed. Now, I'm sensing a growing atheistic atmosphere at CNN and an environment more hospitable to Christianity at Fox News, not that the network is pro-Christianity, just more in line with American tradition prior to about 2005 (e.g. more in tune with it's Christian roots). So, when the events with the Islamic protest of the French newspaper came up, I had to go to Fox News, away from CNN, to see how the story should be covered, as CNN was trying as much as it could to distance that incident from Islam; even better still, I had to see that story better covered on the TBN Christian network and the 700 Club. Fox News covered that story very well but, based on my habits, I'm still solidly a CNN viewer for my news; I've considered MSNBC for political reasons, also, and I sometimes watch that network, but it's just hard to rip me away from CNN, but TBN does so on Sundays and on weekdays, when the 700 Club airs; MSNBC has an even bigger problem with its atheistic leanings than CNN; unfortunately, the 700 Club has an even more blatant Republican bias than any news network I've had the chance to examine; the Christian lean is appropriate but not the bias for Republicans.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what else is new? Fox News is really nothing more than editorialism marketed as news.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: Oh I could be wrong, but really our economy is shot, our political parties despise each other far more than they love the country and we have a media that collectively looks upon politics as a spectator sport. If there is hope on the horizon it is well hidden.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren:

@ccraft said:

^

I dont see how. If there's specific criticisms of the site and their methodology, lets see them. Vague criticisms about being "mocked and derided by all sides" are not meaningful, and only suggests that they're calling out all sides equally. Criticisms of specific fact checks are fine and all, but only meaningful if they show a systemic and widespread fault. That is to say, that when you check as much stuff as they do, some of it will obviously not be perfect.

From what I've seen, they've been accused of having both a liberal AND conservative bias. And, for all the criticism, there's also been plenty of praise. In 2009 they won a Pulitzer Price for their efforts. I have little doubt that if I wait around for Fox News to win a Pulitzer, I'll die of old age waiting.

Ok.....

The Wall Street Journal has 30 ---- count 'em, thirty --- Pulitzer Prizes, and they've described PolitiFact as slaves of power pretending to be seekers of truth. Paul Krugman has a Pulitzer Prize and a Nobel medal to boot, and he's taken issue with PolitiFact's claim of being unbiased, pointing out that they primarily stick to one side of the political spectrum and occasionally venture out to maintain the appearance of balance. Glenn Greenwald is one of the most highly decorated journalists in all of Western media, his work has won a Pulitzer as well, and he's written several articles describing how PolitiFact frequently just picks an opinion they agree with, find an expert to support it, and present that as objective neutral truth instead of an opinion. When Ron Paul criticized the Obama administration for altering the definition of "terrorist organization" in such a broad and unspecific way that American non-combatants could easily be classified as terrorist associates, PolitiFact quoted liberals and Obama supporters to describe his fears as "preposterous" and "nonsense" (this after Obama directed the Department of Justice to devise a legal way for him to kill Anwar al-Awlaki without a trial), even though the ACLU had raised an even bigger ruckus over the same issue and with the same criticism as Paul. Greenwald and Brad DeLong pointed out that PolitiFact just found two experts and passed their subjective opinion on a subjective matter off as objective truth, disregarding the fact that both experts were die-hard supporters of the War on Terror and that one of them, whom PolitiFact had claimed was a lawyer, had never been to law school in his life.

When Lawrence O'Donnell defended the GI Bill and said its opponents, historically, had opposed it as an expansion of the welfare state, PolitiFact categorized his claim as false and said that no politician had ever described the GI Bill in such a way.......this after PolitiFact themselves produced a statement from the Chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee condemning the GI bill as an expansion of the dole system. The dole system and the welfare state are literally exactly the same thing, one being what the British call it and the other being what the Americans call it, and PolitiFact presented evidence that Lawrence O'Donnell was telling the truth shortly before calling him a liar. This allegedly authoritative organization called someone a liar because its staff could not understand simple English; coincidentally, a few weeks prior PolitiFact had bragged about the fact that a large proportion of their staff were college students. It was such a ridiculous f**k up that Rachel Maddow, who's about as left as they come, went on the air and said PolitiFact should just shut down because of how terrible they are at their jobs.

PolitiFact's split of "Mostly False/Pants on Fire" categorizations goes 80% to Republican statements and 20% to Democrat statements --- and several people across the political spectrum have pointed out this is largely because they pick and choose what they want to analyze, disproportionately selecting the most dubious conservative statements to highlight. But even so, the majority of the most vociferous criticisms of PolitiFact have come from the left, indicating that there is, in fact, a pan-ideological consensus that PolitiFact is garbage. And the most enduring criticism has always been that there is a systemic and widespread problem with their methodology. A lot of the statements they analyze deal with subjective issues and are context -laden, meaning that most regular human beings accept that they are largely matters of opinion. PolitiFact brings in experts who take a stance based on their own values, and then analyze the issue from the benchmark of that stance and pretend to come out with an objective truth. That these experts and their stances predominantly tend to veer left has not escaped notice. Their falsehood categories are objective ways of trying to categorize subjective issues. It's a recipe for disaster right from the beginning.

They won the Pulitzer for covering the 2008 election. I'm not sure what that has to do with analyzing their counterparts in the media. Sure, you can call out all sides equally, but it doesn't mean anything if the quality of your call-outs is complete horse manure.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: @saren: I stopped taking an interest in politics a long time ago, but this is an interesting discussion ^_^

No Caption Provided

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: Oh I could be wrong, but really our economy is shot, our political parties despise each other far more than they love the country and we have a media that collectively looks upon politics as a spectator sport. If there is hope on the horizon it is well hidden.

We can agree on that, sadly.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The medias are controlled by the banks just like the countries.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fox News has a certain fan-base that likes to hear what they want to believe and not what is true.

Case in point, they did a study where they said that people who don't watch the news are actually more informed than Fox News viewers. How this is possible, I don't know, but it's amazing!

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:

The medias are controlled by the banks just like the countries.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

And the Reptilians and Hydra.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By willpayton

@saren said:

@willpayton said:

@saren:

@ccraft said:

^

Ok.....

The Wall Street Journal has 30 ---- count 'em, thirty --- Pulitzer Prizes, and they've described PolitiFact as slaves of power pretending to be seekers of truth. Paul Krugman has a Pulitzer Prize and a Nobel medal to boot, and he's taken issue with PolitiFact's claim of being unbiased, pointing out that they primarily stick to one side of the political spectrum and occasionally venture out to maintain the appearance of balance. Glenn Greenwald is one of the most highly decorated journalists in all of Western media, his work has won a Pulitzer as well, and he's written several articles describing how PolitiFact frequently just picks an opinion they agree with, find an expert to support it, and present that as objective neutral truth instead of an opinion. When Ron Paul criticized the Obama administration for altering the definition of "terrorist organization" in such a broad and unspecific way that American non-combatants could easily be classified as terrorist associates, PolitiFact quoted liberals and Obama supporters to describe his fears as "preposterous" and "nonsense" (this after Obama directed the Department of Justice to devise a legal way for him to kill Anwar al-Awlaki without a trial), even though the ACLU had raised an even bigger ruckus over the same issue and with the same criticism as Paul. Greenwald and Brad DeLong pointed out that PolitiFact just found two experts and passed their subjective opinion on a subjective matter off as objective truth, disregarding the fact that both experts were die-hard supporters of the War on Terror and that one of them, whom PolitiFact had claimed was a lawyer, had never been to law school in his life.

When Lawrence O'Donnell defended the GI Bill and said its opponents, historically, had opposed it as an expansion of the welfare state, PolitiFact categorized his claim as false and said that no politician had ever described the GI Bill in such a way.......this after PolitiFact themselves produced a statement from the Chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee condemning the GI bill as an expansion of the dole system. The dole system and the welfare state are literally exactly the same thing, one being what the British call it and the other being what the Americans call it, and PolitiFact presented evidence that Lawrence O'Donnell was telling the truth shortly before calling him a liar. This allegedly authoritative organization called someone a liar because its staff could not understand simple English; coincidentally, a few weeks prior PolitiFact had bragged about the fact that a large proportion of their staff were college students. It was such a ridiculous f**k up that Rachel Maddow, who's about as left as they come, went on the air and said PolitiFact should just shut down because of how terrible they are at their jobs.

PolitiFact's split of "Mostly False/Pants on Fire" categorizations goes 80% to Republican statements and 20% to Democrat statements --- and several people across the political spectrum have pointed out this is largely because they pick and choose what they want to analyze, disproportionately selecting the most dubious conservative statements to highlight. But even so, the majority of the most vociferous criticisms of PolitiFact have come from the left, indicating that there is, in fact, a pan-ideological consensus that PolitiFact is garbage. And the most enduring criticism has always been that there is a systemic and widespread problem with their methodology. A lot of the statements they analyze deal with subjective issues and are context -laden, meaning that most regular human beings accept that they are largely matters of opinion. PolitiFact brings in experts who take a stance based on their own values, and then analyze the issue from the benchmark of that stance and pretend to come out with an objective truth. That these experts and their stances predominantly tend to veer left has not escaped notice. Their falsehood categories are objective ways of trying to categorize subjective issues. It's a recipe for disaster right from the beginning.

They won the Pulitzer for covering the 2008 election. I'm not sure what that has to do with analyzing their counterparts in the media. Sure, you can call out all sides equally, but it doesn't mean anything if the quality of your call-outs is complete horse manure.

Ok fair enough. I'll look more into some of these points when I get a chance. However, the implication that Fox News and CNN, or other news channels like NPR, are comparable or equally bad is just silly. I've watched enough of Fox, CNN, MSNBC, BBC, and NPR to know how much Fox lies and distorts the truth, where the others at least try to be objective. Even MSNBC which is clearly left-leaning and doesnt pretend to not be liberal, will still call out and criticize the Obama administration when it does something that goes against their principles. Yes, they are liberal, but no they are not a propaganda organization devoted to supporting the Democrats... while Fox is clearly there simply to support the GOP and their agenda, and to get Republicans elected. They prey on the ignorance, bias, and faith of their core audience, and they rely on repetition and omission to convince the gullible.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton:

I'm certainly not suggesting that FOX is objective. It is partisan towards the right. That being said, it's not worse than MSNBC. You seem to give MSNBC partial immunity because they occasionally criticize people on the left. Well, Fox occasionally criticizes people on the right, but the vast majority of slant on both networks favor their cause. Neither one has any claim to objectivity.

CNN has people who are actively and openly leftist as hosts, Piers Morgan for example. They have nobody on the right as a host. During the 2012 election coverage, they had Piers Morgan, a liberal, Van Jones, a communist former Obama staffer, and two other people who said nothing conservative hosting the election coverage. NPR does have a lot of down the middle reporting, but they also have the openly leftist Diane Reemes show with no conservative counter point.

Nobody and no organization is without bias. The important thing is to recognize a bias and take information from that source with a grain of salt with the bias in mind.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: And I've watched those same channels and come up with completely different conclusions. At this point the news media is like religion: everyone finds the one they like and disparages the rest. There's no evidence, no truth, no fact that can be produced to shake anyone from their chosen belief. For myself unless I see it myself I initially disbelieve any fact reported in the media. They are after all just trying to sell, either product in the form of commercials or a viewpoint based on an ideology. If I don't trust the government to give me the right time of day I don't trust the news media to tell me that the government is giving me the wrong time of day.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: http://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

Right there.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mark_Stephen
Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Which brings me back to the Trust No One, Believe In Nothing motto.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the leftist media did a study that reflects badly on Fox? SHOCKING! or if you prefer it in cable news form BREAKING NEWS! The entire media is a bunch of leftist but if one little ol' station leans to the right EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS!!!

Sean12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much all major media outlets are full of shit each propogating their own agenda. Fox is and has been by far the most inconsistent of all the major news outlets, full of egotistical reporters, false and inconsistent claims, and loud repetitive nonsense for answers they don't have. It is by far the worst recognized media station in the U.S. CNN and MSNBC are not any better though. Both of them have a "habit" of cutting out important factual claims, interviews, and other informative information from their viewers due to "network interference." They were biased towards Mitt Romney in the Presidential election race and completely cut out and ignored a legitimate runner in Ron Paul to ensure his loss. Good media outlets comes from Wiki Leaks, Young Turks, The Onion (for you satirist), and Al Jazeera.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't expect anything more from FOX. Terribly biased/Republican.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That could be said for any major media outlet; Nothing new. Also, isn't Politifact shady as hell?

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MSNBC has 24 hours of liberal pundits, who rarely if ever have a conservative guest on their show. Fox News has straight news and opinion shows, something people here apparently can't differentiate. I can't wait til the Cruz/Nugent ticket wins in 2016 so we can turn the whine level up to 11 here WANGO TANGO!!!!!!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50 frozen  Moderator
@jayc1324 said:

Don't expect anything more from FOX. Terribly biased/Republican.