For the Love of Whoever, PLEASE Use the Search Function!!!!!!!!!!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

This is my rant for the week. For the love of whoever y'all believe use the godd@mned search function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There have been at least four threads today (not counting battles) that, had I been a mod I would have locked. Some of these are common sense things. Who Is Your Favorite Supervillan, Who Has the Sexiest Costume are two examples. This is a comic book website, use your common sense. Do you really think that these topics haven't been done before? If you aren't sure if something has been done or not, then there are two different search functions, both easy to use. Still having trouble? Go to the battle thread pinned by Arrow. There is a link to a great instruction thread by Silver2467 showing you how to use it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

never going to stop....we're always going to have new people jump right in and start making duplicate threads...the best that you can do is paste a link to the old one and educate them on the search function...even then it may not stop

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Decoy Elite

This rant was very, very lackluster. In fact, I'm going to one up you now.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@The Dark Huntress said:
" This is my rant for the week. For the love of the BATMAN use the godd@mned search function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There have been at least four threads today (not counting battles) that, had I been a mod I would have locked. Some of these are common sense things. Who Is Your Favorite Supervillan, Who Has the Sexiest Costume are two examples. This is a comic book website, use your common sense. Do you really think that these topics haven't been done before? If you aren't sure if something has been done or not, then there are two different search functions, both easy to use. Still having trouble? Go to the battle thread pinned by Arrow. There is a link to a great instruction thread by Silver2467 showing you how to use it. "
;)
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@danhimself said:
" never going to stop....we're always going to have new people jump right in and start making duplicate threads...the best that you can do is paste a link to the old one and educate them on the search function...even then it may not stop "
QFT. Endless waltz and inevitable. Best to try and over look it, once a link to the original is posted they usually get nuked anyways.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@CATMANEXE: We need more lofty use of the all powerful banhammer. Fascism rules (get it :P).
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercy_
@Decoy Elite said:
" This rant was very, very lackluster. In fact, I'm going to one up you now. "
I might make this a semi-daily thing. I have so many things that I now want to rant about. xP 
RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RLAAMJR

We have new viners who doesn't really know much about the site... and the moderators will be here (let's patiently wait) to  lock those repetitive threads and educate the new viners.  So, let's us just get the hang of it.

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

I don't see why you should complain,but I understand why you would want to though. This crap is always going to happen because you are always going to get new people coming to vine who doesn't know anything about this place. I've learned to ignore it or let a moderator know.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Decoy Elite
@The Dark Huntress: Let me show you how to rant. 

Hello, I’m Decoy Elite and this is me stealing Dark Huntress’s rant.   Today’s subject the Search Function and how apparently no one knows how to use it.

Seriously, I mean you’d think that when there’s a big blaring button that says “SEARCH” and 3 freakin’ threads explaining how to use it people would be smart enough to put two and two together. But noooo, apparently everyone’s too lazy to read the f#$%ing rules when they come to the site. I mean, seriously, half the threads in the General Discussion forums are repeats. I mean here’s the thing guys, if you find yourself thinking “Oh man I can’t believe this hasn’t been done!” then guess what? It’s probably been done! I mean, what the hell? Do you all need a list of every thread ever done? Is that it? Oh wait that wouldn’t work because you all would be too lazy to f#$%ing check the stupid thing anyway!  What I really love is those smart alecks who think it doesn’t hurt to make a repeat thread. I mean what’s the worst it could do? It could take up all the damn server safe that’s what! Then I’m stuck paying to go on a site and talk about comics, all because you’re too much of a lazy arse to just look up “Captain America vs Batman” or some crap!

Basically this all amounts to “Stop being stupid and use the Search” not that the people this pertains to will read this rant.

That, that is a rant.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_
@Decoy Elite: You did that better than I ever could. :D I don't know if I have it in me to truly rant. 

@RLAAMJR: Do not talk to me about mods and locking threads. Do not patronize me. You have a past here and you have not shown that you have changed during your ban time. You're back and making threads that you feel are one-sided in Storm's favor, so don't talk to me about mods and locking. 

@JoeRiccadonna: I understand if it's a new user and I have patience. I (usually, depends on if I'm on my phone or not) post a link to the original and give a basic description of how to use the search function. I'm just tired of seeing threads that common sense dictates have already happened.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Decoy Elite
@The Dark Huntress: Thank you, I like to think ranting is my expertise.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_
@Decoy Elite: It's right up there with debating. xP
Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andferne

Welcome to the wonderful age of the lazy generation.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_
@Andferne said:
" Welcome to the wonderful age of the lazy generation. "
<.< It's not that hard! Honest to god! I'm lazy and I use it! It takes about three seconds and saves you the trouble of looking like a noob and getting chastised for spamming the forums with dupe threads.
Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz
@Andferne said:
"Welcome to the wonderful age of the lazy generation. "

Ahhhhh I love our generation. Who's up for a barbequ......Lays down a watches tv
RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RLAAMJR

One doesn't need to create a thread to rant. Repetitive threads won't stop. That's why every now and then, some threads get locked. And the moderators are doing their jobs.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Decoy Elite: Oh! Oh! I want a shot! :D

Ahem. 

Congratulations, randomuser, you are quite obviously a genius. It is beyond comphrehension as to how you got so clever, but your intellect cannot be denied. Despite operating for years and years, you are the first person to have ever made a thread entitled "what's your favourite comic book?" Your ingenuity and creativity is second to none.... Hold on a minute. I'm sorry, I was confused, what I actually meant to say was;

You ****ing idiot, are you really so arrogant as to truly believe no one has come up with this thread before? Can you really be that ignorant and unselfaware. I mean, did you kick a spherical ball around and say to yourself "oh my God, if I put a net on the other side of the yard, I could invent a game!" Are you one of those people who is proud of themselves for figuring out the ending to a Rugrats movie halfway through? You don't want to read the rules? Fine, but for the sake of my sanity, use your ****ing common sense. It's a ****ing comic site, odds are, virtually every "what's your favourite" topic has been done. Maybe you could create something entirely new "what's the most annoying type of medical waste?"  for instance. But for the moment, I'll answer that thread for you as well; you are.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercy_
@RLAAMJR: If you have a problem with my thread and don't have anything valuable or constructive to add to it, then don't post in it. Simple as that.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Decoy Elite
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" I don't see why you should complain,but I understand why you would want to though. This crap is always going to happen because you are always going to get new people coming to vine who doesn't know anything about this place. I've learned to ignore it or let a moderator know. "
What makes me about this being true is the fact that new people should know because new people should read the rules. I read the rules when I came to CV and I think I've made like 1 repeat thread and I only did so because the Search didn't work.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Decoy Elite
@FadeToBlackBolt: Lol, now I want to make "What's the most annoying medical waste" thread.
@RLAAMJR said:
" One doesn't need to create a thread to rant. Repetitive threads won't stop. That's why every now and then, some threads get locked. And the moderators are doing their jobs. "

Ranting is all about complaining to let out anger. It doesn't really helping anyone but the ranter really(and possibly some readers if they find it funny). No one said anything about the mods so I don't see the point in bringing them up here.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sexy_merc

When you make an account, you should have a terms of agreement where you read the battle forum rules and you have to agree to reading them. If you still don't follow them, you get a warning, then a ban. Kind of strict though.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mercy_
@Sexy Merc: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now make me a sammich. :D 
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sexy_merc
@The Dark Huntress: NEVER WOMAN! The toaster's getting cold..heat him up.
Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz
@Decoy Elite said:
" @JoeRiccadonna said:
" I don't see why you should complain,but I understand why you would want to though. This crap is always going to happen because you are always going to get new people coming to vine who doesn't know anything about this place. I've learned to ignore it or let a moderator know. "
What makes me about this being true is the fact that new people should know because new people should read the rules. I read the rules when I came to CV and I think I've made like 1 repeat thread and I only did so because the Search didn't work. "

Dude, in all honesty, I've been on the vine for 3 years (going on 4) now and I have not read the rules once. I just go with the flow and learn as I go along.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mercy_
@Sexy Merc:     
RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RLAAMJR

@The Dark Huntress said:  

@JoeRiccadonna: I understand if it's a new user and I have patience. I (usually, depends on if I'm on my phone or not) post a link to the original and give a basic description of how to use the search function. I'm just tired of seeing threads that common sense dictates have already happened. "

@Decoy Elite said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: Lol, now I want to make "What's the most annoying medical waste" thread.
@RLAAMJR said:
" One doesn't need to create a thread to rant. Repetitive threads won't stop. That's why every now and then, some threads get locked. And the moderators are doing their jobs. "
Ranting is all about complaining to let out anger. It doesn't really helping anyone but the ranter really(and possibly some readers if they find it funny). No one said anything about the mods so I don't see the point in bringing them up here. "

ok. I'm cool with it.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sexy_merc
@The Dark Huntress: I've seen that before. CollegeHumor rocks.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mercy_
@Sexy Merc: ^____^ You get invisible, useless internet brownie points. :D
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know something that may be of relevance here...
ive seen that there is an unusal amount of repeat threads being made against the
norm lately.
so i put myself in the thread makers position to see if there was a problem on that end. 
there is. without the search by name/title only function the results are every single thread
containing the word(s) stack in order of date. a person looking to see if a thread was made
would have to take an eternity to find out either way.  
i posted about this now in the Ways To Improve CV thread.

unless its a glitch on my end and the function is actually still there, i would cite
that as a probable cause of the increase in dupes.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By geraldthesloth

Funny that this is a repeat thread about using the search function.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By shanana

Though the search function is rather usless at times. I agree with you

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Silver2467
@Decoy Elite said:
" @The Dark Huntress: Let me show you how to rant. 

Hello, I’m Decoy Elite and this is me stealing Dark Huntress’s rant.   Today’s subject the Search Function and how apparently no one knows how to use it.

Seriously, I mean you’d think that when there’s a big blaring button that says “SEARCH” and 3 freakin’ threads explaining how to use it people would be smart enough to put two and two together. But noooo, apparently everyone’s too lazy to read the f#$%ing rules when they come to the site. I mean, seriously, half the threads in the General Discussion forums are repeats. I mean here’s the thing guys, if you find yourself thinking “Oh man I can’t believe this hasn’t been done!” then guess what? It’s probably been done! I mean, what the hell? Do you all need a list of every thread ever done? Is that it? Oh wait that wouldn’t work because you all would be too lazy to f#$%ing check the stupid thing anyway!  What I really love is those smart alecks who think it doesn’t hurt to make a repeat thread. I mean what’s the worst it could do? It could take up all the damn server safe that’s what! Then I’m stuck paying to go on a site and talk about comics, all because you’re too much of a lazy arse to just look up “Captain America vs Batman” or some crap!

Basically this all amounts to “Stop being stupid and use the Search” not that the people this pertains to will read this rant.

That, that is a rant. "
I swear, you must have a degree in ranting.  

@The Dark Huntress: I agree with and respect your topic. Why do you think I made that "Search Function and D----horribly titled thread in the first place? Yes, I was calm in the way I explained it, but you think it never pissed me off? So well done on this. You officially have my wholehearted backing. 
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silver2467
@Sexy Merc said:
" When you make an account, you should have a terms of agreement where you read the battle forum rules and you have to agree to reading them. If you still don't follow them, you get a warning, then a ban. Kind of strict though. "
QFUT. 
shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By shanana
@geraldthesloth said:
" Funny that this is a repeat thread about using the search function. "
I lol'd
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress said:
" This is my rant for the week. For the love of whoever y'all believe use the godd@mned search function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There have been at least four threads today (not counting battles) that, had I been a mod I would have locked. Some of these are common sense things. Who Is Your Favorite Supervillan, Who Has the Sexiest Costume are two examples. This is a comic book website, use your common sense. Do you really think that these topics haven't been done before? If you aren't sure if something has been done or not, then there are two different search functions, both easy to use. Still having trouble? Go to the battle thread pinned by Arrow. There is a link to a great instruction thread by Silver2467 showing you how to use it. "
Very true....and yet I feel obligated to bring up the fact that curently THE SEARCH FUNCTION BLOWS....even if i know what I am looking for half the time I can't find it. Is it just me or did the search function work a lot better before?
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Aiden Cross
@Lunacyde said:
" THE SEARCH FUNCTION BLOWS.... "
THAT! Can't find anything on it...
Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Andferne
@Lunacyde said:
" THE SEARCH FUNCTION BLOWS. "
This.

@Lunacyde said:
"Is it just me or did the search function work a lot better before? "
Yes it used to work a lot better.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@Andferne: I also liked it a lot better when you could access a list of the threads you started.
Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Andferne
@Lunacyde: Agreed.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silver2467
@Lunacyde said: 
Very true....and yet I feel obligated to bring up the fact that curently THE SEARCH FUNCTION BLOWS....even if i know what I am looking for half the time I can't find it. Is it just me or did the search function work a lot better before? "
Are you using the search function at the top of the page or the search function provided in the battle forums?
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@Silver2467: The one at the top right corner in all the forums below the reply to topic/create new topic buttons.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Yaujtapool

To be fair, some threads that have been done do not appear on the search engine. 

I prefer the older one which was much better imo.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mercy_
@Yaujtapool A lot of threads do appear, though and there are some that common sense dictates have already happened. Basically any "who is your favorite" thread has already been done and don't even get me started on the "what is on your mind" thread on page 2 right now when I've never seen King's thread not be on page 1.