Floyd Mayweather takes a shot at Jeremy Lin, based on his race!?

• 61 results
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Static Shock

After all of the buzz that Jeremy Lin received, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. doesn't seem to happy about it. He recently tweeted this:

No Caption Provided

Apparently, he thinks that Jeremy Lin's popularity is based on the fact that he's Asian, and not the fact that he's doing really well. But, Mayweather seems to think that what he's doing isn't as noteworthy. As a result, he's been heavily criticized by the media for this Tweet, deeming it to be somewhat offensive. Although I don't completely agree with him, I can see where he's coming from as far as race. I guess what he's trying to say is that the hype comes from the fact that it's rare to see an Asian basketball player do well in the NBA. Thus, people are going to be fascinated by that. At the same, it's difficult for me to share Mayweather's point of view on the matter, because I see things from a multi-cultural, multi-racial point of view. I view him as a good basketball player, not a good Asian basketball player. Not saying I'm colorblind, but I like to acknowledge people's accomplishments based on their accomplishments, and nothing more.

Another thing I don't agree with in this statement is the fact that he thinks Black basketball players don't get recognized or praised for doing the same thing Lin does. It's a false statement. Black basketball players have been dominating the sport for decades, and have been recognized on top of that for just as long, so it's clear that Mayweather's statement is a little on the ignorant side. If he's not as happy for Lin as everyone else is, then that's perfectly fine. But, to put down Black basketball players in an attempt to get your point across or put more emphasis on the premise of your statement is a low blow, in my opinion.

EDIT: However, if Mayweather meant to say that there are many Black basketball players in the NBA (excluding the really, really goods ones) that are just as good as Lin but don't get the same amount of praise or respect, then I can agree there.

This, however, is nothing compared to what Jason Whitlock of FOX Sports said in his tweet the night Lin scored 38 points against Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. If you didn't like what Mayweather said, you're going to hate this:

Talk about racial stereotypes. >_>

Whitlock should have been fired for that statement, but then again, it's FOX. He has since apologize for this Tweet.

Any thoughts, anyone?

The link for reference (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/floyd-mayweather-twitter-jeremy-lin-knicks-star_n_1274832.html)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Racism is terrible, obviously, but that second tweet made me LMFAO.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By jrock85

I've never liked Mayweather and I hope Miguel Cotto beats the crap out of him.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Decoy Elite

Eh, I don't think race is that big a factor with the buzz around Lin. I don't watch much sports but when people talk about him it's about the numbers he's churning out, not that he's good while being Asian.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Dreadmaster

More reason to hate him.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EugeneSaxe

Mayweather will do anything for attention except fight Manny. And Whitlock's Twit was funny, I don't care who you are.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Sounds alot like Muhammed Ali. Tshh...   
They are scum. Badass boxers, but scum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh. 

I was just recently thinking this about Lin.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Static Shock

@_slim_ said:

Heh. I was just recently thinking this about Lin.

Do you feel the same way Mayweather feels?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Floyd Mayweather is racist...I didn't know that everyone else didn't know this already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock: Eh, kinda. I do feel that Lin's race does play a part in the hype. Although him playing in New York and playing the way he's been playing does factor in also.
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikethekiller

Floyd is a hater...plain and simple.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iLLituracy

Asians scare Floyd, is all.

He feels threatened by them.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Asian player makes a rise in basketball and people are making racist comments??

Shocking!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cattlebattle

LOL, If a white guy said some sh*t like this his career would be toast--- end social commentary statement

stop talking and just box dude

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By texasdeathmatch

@cattlebattle said:

LOL, If a white guy said some sh*t like this his career would be toast--- end social commentary statement stop talking and just box dude

Nah, social media don't give a f*ck about offensive things towards asians.

Like this superbowl ad:

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nefarious

Yeah, there will always be racism.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@cattlebattle said:
LOL, If a white guy said some sh*t like this his career would be toast--- end social commentary statement stop talking and just box dude
I don't think a white guy would have an opportunity to say something like that....even if they wanted to.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By geraldthesloth

They're both goofs. The world would be better without people like them.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle
@texasdeathmatch said:

@cattlebattle said:

LOL, If a white guy said some sh*t like this his career would be toast--- end social commentary statement stop talking and just box dude

Dude, in all honesty, Asians still do get sh*t on a lot, look at Holly wood, try to name an asian actor that isn't :: a)a martial artist... b)the dude from Harold and Kumar c) Bobby Lee...
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cattlebattle
@Vance Astro said:
@cattlebattle said:
LOL, If a white guy said some sh*t like this his career would be toast--- end social commentary statement stop talking and just box dude
I don't think a white guy would have an opportunity to say something like that....even if they wanted to.
why not?
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By geraldthesloth
@cattlebattle: He works in a sport where he's one of the only two stars that really really really draw people. Because he's an idiot people want to see him get punched.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cattlebattle
@geraldthesloth said:
@cattlebattle: He works in a sport where he's one of the only two stars that really really really draw people. Because he's an idiot people want to see him get punched.
true....
Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By TheWitchingHour

haha "a couple inches of pain"

Whitlock is pathetically honest about his size. It it was me I'd have gone with a significantly higher number.

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I think Jeremy Lin deserves all the praise he's getting. He's playing his butt off. But that doesn't mean the race thing is any less accurate. Not entirely true, but not entirely untrue either.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheWitchingHour:

But that doesn't mean the race thing is any less accurate. Not entirely true, but not entirely untrue either.

Exactly.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny, Mayweather's statement almost reminds me of the comments I heard from white people in the eighties regarding black players.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By King_Saturn
is this really shocking ? Floyd has been saying stupid stuff like this...
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@Static Shock said:

At the same, it's difficult for me to share Mayweather's point of view on the matter, because I see things from a multi-cultural, multi-racial point of view. I view him as a good basketball player, not a good Asian basketball player. Not saying I'm colorblind, but I like to acknowledge people's accomplishments based on their accomplishments, and nothing more.

I think it's important to remember that he's both.

He deserves praise for being a dominant player and for being one of the few Asian players in the game.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@cattlebattle said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

@cattlebattle said:

Dude, in all honesty, Asians still do get sh*t on a lot, look at Holly wood, try to name an asian actor that isn't :: a)a martial artist... b)the dude from Harold and Kumar c) Bobby Lee...
Agreed, 100%.

@Vance Astro said:
@cattlebattle said:
Don Imus kinda did. And look what happened to him. It's interesting that all Whitlock had to do was write some bullsh*t letter about understanding the Asian/black relation. Good ol Fox.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@texasdeathmatch said:
Don Imus kinda did. And look what happened to him. It's interesting that all Whitlock had to do was write some bullsh*t letter about understanding the Asian/black relation. Good ol Fox.
He really didn't.Their comments are on two different sides of the spectrum.Don Imus was making an observation about appearance, Mayweather is suggesting that Lin is getting recognition for something black players do every day.I don't think that the level of praise is different on either side, I just think Jeremy Lin is getting more press because he was days from being cut from the team,he's not making enough money to get his own place,and he was like the 5th string guard before they decided to give him some play.In regards to my point, this is basically like if someone said, Eminem is only viewed as a good rapper because he's white.You couldn't apply that anywhere else because other genres aren't dominated so heavily by one race.You know what I mean? When would their be an opportunity for a white athlete to say anything like what Floyd said? Maybe if there is all of a sudden a GREAT black hockey player? Not likely.
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Vance Astro: Oh, I'm talking about Jason Whitlock haha.

edit: or for some reason thought you were too...my bad.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@texasdeathmatch said:
@Vance Astro: Oh, I'm talking about Jason Whitlock haha.  edit: or for some reason thought you were too...my bad.
Oh.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

For the record, Floyd says stuff like this all the time.He's either a closet racist or he's really under the impression that blacks STILL don't get a fair shake in sports.In some respect he IS right though.Black superstars do what Jeremy Lin is doing EVERYDAY.I just don't think he watches enough basketball to know that his statement doesn't reflect the actual reasoning behind why people are going crazy over Lin.He's not just good..he's good out of nowhere.He sat the bench on several teams and has been in the D-league and now all of a sudden the Knicks who are garbage are on a winning streak and he has AMAZING #'s.He's not just scoring alot, he scores at a high percentage.He's not just scoring alot he also has a high level of assists every night.Very few players are playing as well as he is right now.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Static Shock

@TheWitchingHour said:

I'm aware of this. But, my point is that a good basketball player shouldn't be race-specific. He's obviously Asian. Must I acknowledge that he is? Why can't he just be acknowledged as an individual, also?

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By dane
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Static Shock

@Dane: LOL.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By dane
@Static Shock
Maybe being a white Australian dude has me at a disadvantage here; but I don't know what his problem is. I really can't think of a sport more dominated by African-American athletes. I don't think it matters but if he wants to bitch about a lack of representation, maybe he should look into water polo or something. Nobody's all-time greatest ballers list looks like Facebook China is all I'm sayin'.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Static Shock

@Dane: Well said.

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@Static Shock said:

@TheWitchingHour said:

I'm aware of this. But, my point is that a good basketball player shouldn't be race-specific. He's obviously Asian. Must I acknowledge that he is? Why can't he just be acknowledged as an individual, also?

You're absolutely right it shouldn't be race specific and honestly I think that the majority of basketball fans don't think it is race specific with Lin. But trying to focus on his sportsmanship and ability without mentioning his race is fighting a losing battle. His race is invariably a part of who he is and to separate him from that is not only detrimental to Asians in the sports world but also (I'd imagine) somewhat detrimental to him. People remember Jesse Owens because he raised his fist in pride against Hitler at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, a particularly poignant moment for black history in sports. But they also remember him because he was the best runner in the world at the time and he held the world record for most Olympic Gold medals won in Track & Field. If Jesse Owens can be remembered as both why not Jeremy Lin?

And I think that trying to view Lin's situation as racially neutral isn't really appropriate either. The reason that he's getting so much press is that he's Asian. No denying that. But this also gives him a chance to become an NBA great and transcend that label. I worry that getting caught up in apologizing for or condemning those who analyze and scrutinize his ethnicity is in a way detrimental to racial progression as well. Color commentators are going to have Lin as a flavor of the month (that didn't sound right) and if he continues to hold up his race will no longer be an issue. If he doesn't it will no longer be an issue. His heritage coupled with his job is something people are curious about and hopefully he will use that notoriety to become a great player. For right now I'll consider him both a great player and a great asian player.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Static Shock

@TheWitchingHour: Understandable.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By PowerHerc

Racism can and does come from all races.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Static Shock

@PowerHerc said:

Racism can and does come from all races.

Yep.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I like about Mayweather is that he speaks his mind, makes his money, and doesn't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Enemybird

Being an Asian male I was offended and i think its unfair...

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lantern Prime

Floyd is right......

He deserves to make his opinions known.