Floyd Mayweather takes a shot at Jeremy Lin, based on his race!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Static Shock

After all of the buzz that Jeremy Lin received, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. doesn't seem to happy about it. He recently tweeted this:

No Caption Provided

Apparently, he thinks that Jeremy Lin's popularity is based on the fact that he's Asian, and not the fact that he's doing really well. But, Mayweather seems to think that what he's doing isn't as noteworthy. As a result, he's been heavily criticized by the media for this Tweet, deeming it to be somewhat offensive. Although I don't completely agree with him, I can see where he's coming from as far as race. I guess what he's trying to say is that the hype comes from the fact that it's rare to see an Asian basketball player do well in the NBA. Thus, people are going to be fascinated by that. At the same, it's difficult for me to share Mayweather's point of view on the matter, because I see things from a multi-cultural, multi-racial point of view. I view him as a good basketball player, not a good Asian basketball player. Not saying I'm colorblind, but I like to acknowledge people's accomplishments based on their accomplishments, and nothing more.

Another thing I don't agree with in this statement is the fact that he thinks Black basketball players don't get recognized or praised for doing the same thing Lin does. It's a false statement. Black basketball players have been dominating the sport for decades, and have been recognized on top of that for just as long, so it's clear that Mayweather's statement is a little on the ignorant side. If he's not as happy for Lin as everyone else is, then that's perfectly fine. But, to put down Black basketball players in an attempt to get your point across or put more emphasis on the premise of your statement is a low blow, in my opinion.

This, however, is nothing compared to what Jason Whitlock of FOX Sports said in his tweet the night Lin scored 38 points against Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. If you didn't like what Mayweather said, you're going to hate this:

Talk about racial stereotypes. >_>

Whitlock should have been fired for that statement, but then again, it's FOX. He has since apologize for this Tweet.

Any thoughts, anyone?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
One day I'm going to be able to tell my grandchildren that I had the honor of locking a Static Shock thread.