Florida mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots.

• 94 results
AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@the_last_arashikage: Simple... I didn't look into this case. Zimmerman was attacked by Martin. He shot him and it was justified. The woman here claims she was in danger. A history of domestic violence doesn't suggest he was going to beat her. The way I see it is, she doesn't have sufficient evidence to prove he was going to attack her.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't she leave the house went to her car, got her gun, and then walked back inside to hive him some warning shots?

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: I don't think you understand what I'm saying. That "petition" is a waste of time.

I do understand. You don't.

An online petition is just as good as anything.

Talk to a lawyer or the people who run the site.

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

A history of domestic violence doesn't suggest he was going to beat her.

Actually thats exactly what it suggests. We can apply this same logic to Zimmerman. Just cause you follow someone around and instigate an ass whooping doesnt suggest your life is in danger. Fist < Gun. I dont know how anyone could sell that a woman who was a documented victim of domestic violence was in less danger then an armed man who outweighed his attacker by a hundred pounds. Again, that logic escapes me. But its your opinion and I'm not looking to change it.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_last_arashikage: The Zimmerman situation is irrelevant. Her husband was not on top of her. If someone's beating you into the concrete, then you have the right to assume your life is in danger. If she felt threatened, then she can call the cops.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe: Yes... because a hundred fake accounts is the same as 100 actual people. It's useless.

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: In his statement he said that if she didnt have the gun he would have put his hands on her. An he said I have 5 baby mommas an i only havent hit one of them lol.

But then he changed it saying he lied to protect his wife yada yada yada.

I still believe 20 years is crazy

Though some lawyers said she might have been better off shooting him

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Charlemagne

@awesam said:

@the_last_arashikage: The Zimmerman situation is irrelevant. Her husband was not on top of her. If someone's beating you into the concrete, then you have the right to assume your life is in danger. If she felt threatened, then she can call the cops.

If someone's beaten you before, threatens you with "If I cant have you no one can" I guess you have the right to assume they wanna take you out for ice-cream and not that your life is in danger. My bad :)

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnificentstorm: She was offered three, but rejected it. She'll be in prison for five years max.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: Yes... because a hundred fake accounts is the same as 100 actual people. It's useless.

Not at all. You know nothing about sites like that, or the law. Talk to a lawyer or the people that run the site.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

smh 20 years is way too harsh.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double standard, racism and its Florida so how could you expect something different? That's a perfect example of "Stand Your Ground" not applying to certain people.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_last_arashikage: But, she can't prove it.

@cezar_thescribe: Sorry, I just have common sense. Good day.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Charlemagne

@mikethekiller: Truth be told as soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew the mom was going to be black and I knew regardless of the story that it was going to feel (to me) like racism.

@awesam: We shall just have to agree to disagree :)

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Charlemagne
MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@magnificentstorm: She was offered three, but rejected it. She'll be in prison for five years max.

Well when someone believe/knows they're innocent they don't want to take any jail time no matter how short. Of course in hindsight if she knew she would get convicted either way im sure she would have took the 3. But the court I believe made it a mandatory 20 years.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_last_arashikage: Very well. I respect your opinion. I just hold the law in higher regards to morals.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@awesam said:

@russellmania77: She fired a gun... This isn't a movie, there are laws. Doing what she did could result in reckless endangerment, battery, or even involuntary manslaughter. A warning shot was unnecessary. If she felt threatened and it was reasonable, then she should have shot him.

Well she didn't.Also a warning shot is much better (if it works instead of shooting people). Comparing this to the Zimmerman it is for me clear who did the right thing and who didn't. Sadly the jury didn't agree.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By nefarious

This is all about Self-Defense.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: No, I just don't like talking to you.

No, you don't like the truth. Also, you're the one who started talking to me.

Now scroll up and look at the link in my last comment.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnificentstorm: For now, but people will protest and her husband will probably beat another woman, plus good behaviour. Things change further down the road.

MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@magnificentstorm: For now, but people will protest and her husband will probably beat another woman, plus good behaviour. Things change further down the road.

They could but more than likely because of the Zimmerman case an how Stand your ground was applied to that case. Who knows

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AweSam

@magnificentstorm: Stand your ground is a stupid law and it's hardly relevant to the Zimmerman case. It was self-defense, plain and simple. The woman here could have called the cops or run. Neither cases have to do with race, also.

@cezar_thescribe: See... that's why I was asking you about it and whether or not people actually sign it.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@magnificentstorm: Stand your ground is a stupid law and it's hardly relevant to the Zimmerman case. It was self-defense, plain and simple. The woman here could have called the cops or run. Neither cases have to do with race, also.

@cezar_thescribe: See... that's why I was asking you about it and whether or not people actually sign it.

I told you they do.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AweSam
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: No, you said "either works". Only actual signatures work.

No, I said, either an online or offline petition will work.

MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

I told you they do.

The law was very relevant within the case it was brought up idk how many times. A lot don't like it because its very confusing an get applying in different ways.

I don't think someone is going to be trying to call the cops with the big person treating to hurt them lol I thinking about how im going to get out or fight back. Also she stated he was blocking the door so she was unable to get pass him to run.

An like it or not both cases in a sense do have to with race because they both stirred up a lot of racial tension an problem again lol

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnificentstorm: Stand your ground applies to Trayvon Marton, who's dead. Zimmerman was within self-defense alone. People bring up race because they when someone kills a person of their ethnicity, it's a hate crime.

@cezar_thescribe: No, you said "either works" in response to me asking whether they sign it, or just click a button.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@awesam said:

@magnificentstorm: Stand your ground applies to Trayvon Marton, who's dead. Zimmerman was within self-defense alone. People bring up race because they when someone kills a person of their ethnicity, it's a hate crime.

@cezar_thescribe: No, you said "either works" in response to me asking whether they sign it, or just click a button.

@cezar_thescribe said:

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: No, you said "either works". Only actual signatures work.

No, I said, either an online or offline petition will work.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do any of you people who are against the Stand Your Ground laws know what it was put on the books?

I am going to assume not and tell you why, because people were being convicted of wrongful deaths of intruders into their own homes because they could have retreated from their houses. Yes the courts said that if you're house was being robbed you should leave, call the police, and let the intruder do what they want. If it wasn't for SYG criminals could take civil action against a home owner who defended their property and family and then it was extended to other locations because you shouldn't have to retreat from an assailant in public places. So please if you're going to complain about the law knowing something about it.

MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

But again it the law was brought up in the case plenty of times.

I don't think a lot of people think this was a hate crime more along the lines of they believe that Trayvon didn't win because he was black an was stereotyped yada yada yada. which then rolled over to black people saying the justice system is unfair to them.

BadVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BadVoodoo

@the_last_arashikage said:

@awesam said:

@the_last_arashikage: I don't get it. I'm just telling him it's useless.

Not the petition. The 360 from your stance on the Zimm case to this one. She was getting beat, she fired, went to jail. You say justice. Zimm was getting beat, fired, killed a person, got off with no jail time, you call that justice. I dont see the logic....

Honestly, this is a capital WHAT THE FUCK!? Iv heard about this on the Daily show, took around 20 minutes to convict her. I have no FUCKEN idea why a mother getting beaten is going to jail for firing a warning shot. It irritates the hell out of me knowing the hubby is sitting at home, drinking a beer while laughing his ass off at her. FUCK that judge, FUCK that jury, FUCK Florida.

What a bunch of bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not racist, just stupidity! The laws need to be updated.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I mean she should have shot him, but it's stupid how she's going to jail

Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nova_prime_: this doesn't make it any less flawed. Maybe a little more understandable, but still fairly flawed.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people read the whole story. This was not stand your ground nor was it self defense. Everyone was in the house. He wouldn't leave. so she "pushed" past him and went into the garage. HE STAYED IN THE HOUSE!!! She came BACK IN and fired bullets. You don't push someone you are scared of. and once you are out of the house, you don't go back in to where the person is. 20yrs is WAY WAY too much. but she has no defense in this case

Avatar image for beefcake_maximus
Beefcake_Maximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Beefcake_Maximus

You cant claim self defense when you leave the area of danger and then return with a weapon.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except for a few people who I can tell read about this case it seems like most of you are having ill informed knee-jerk reactions. Twenty years may be excessive but thats due to mandatory sentencing laws, Not racism or 'stand your ground' laws or an incompetent judge. She fired the gun when there were kids in the house and she was under no threat and she wasn't getting beaten like some of you think. If she was being beat she would of shot the dude not fire a warning shot. I feel bad for those kids.

http://mediatrackers.org/florida/2013/07/16/no-marissa-alexanders-conviction-was-not-a-reverse-trayvon-martin-case-in-florida