• 93 results
#1 Edited by mikethekiller (8164 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by Dark_Guyver (2066 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like an incompetent judge.

#3 Posted by SheenLantern (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a racist judge if I'm to be honest.

#4 Edited by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds fair to give her prison time, but 20 years is too much.

#5 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

how does it sound racist? Just because she's black doesn't mean that it's racism. Yes the judge was wrong but let's not go around throwing "racism" at everything

#6 Edited by Nefarious (17622 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in Florida.

#7 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (17006 posts) - - Show Bio

That is just excessive...

#8 Posted by russellmania77 (13623 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm angry to read that, wtf did she do?? That's complete B.S. hopefully she'll be out in 5 or less for good behavior

#9 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not exactly sure what the Florida Stand Your Ground law says, but I know in PA you can not fire a warning shot and if you do you go to jail. So its not racist and its not incompetents, she would have been better off shooting her abusive husband. The real problem is the sentencing and that problem can only be solved by getting rid of minimum sentences. Far to many good people mess up once and end up in prison for a decade or more. Hell convicted rapists get shorter sentences then people convicted of victimless crimes.

#10 Posted by ARMIV2 (7678 posts) - - Show Bio

Geeze, 20 years a bit excessive much?

#11 Edited by MonsterStomp (13177 posts) - - Show Bio

Little extreme.

#12 Posted by Bogey (929 posts) - - Show Bio

Blame the law and the state that enforces it.

#13 Posted by russellmania77 (13623 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by cameron83 (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

how does it sound racist? Just because she's black doesn't mean that it's racism. Yes the judge was wrong but let's not go around throwing "racism" at everything

this. Although (this goes without saying) but it exists and is still exercised VERY often today....

Sounds like an incompetent judge.

To be honest,I am having A LOT less faith in the great "justice system of america!"

#16 Edited by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: She fired a gun... This isn't a movie, there are laws. Doing what she did could result in reckless endangerment, battery, or even involuntary manslaughter. A warning shot was unnecessary. If she felt threatened and it was reasonable, then she should have shot him.

#17 Edited by Zauberin (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

Florida....

She would've been better off shooting him, maybe.

#18 Posted by thespideyguy (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

We have a right to our guns try to take away mine and I'll shoot you.

#19 Edited by Lady_Liberty (7692 posts) - - Show Bio

You shouldn't fire warning shots. Either shoot to kill or don't shoot.

#20 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: Does that justify 20 years in jail... The woman has a daughter who is only 11 years old. She should have to answer for it but any jail time seems extreme to me. Why not just fine her and give her community service or something?

Where I live (Columbus) people fire their guns into the air during the 4th of July and they get no prison time or anything.... I guess that changes when someone is defending themselves.

#21 Posted by Zauberin (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

You shouldn't fire warning shots. Either shoot to kill or don't shoot.

That reminds me of something my dad said.

#22 Edited by JulieDC (787 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, the miscarriage of justice like her case happen far too often. The worst she should have gotten was community service, if that.

#23 Posted by russellmania77 (13623 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: so your saying it was better if she would've just shot him?? ...makes sense to nobody

#24 Posted by Lady_Liberty (7692 posts) - - Show Bio

@vercingetorixthegreat: From reading the article it sounds like the judge and jury didn't believe her story.

#25 Posted by Night Thrasher (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to comment on this story but it makes me angry in so many ways and the obvious double standards and socioeconomic implications to be addressed would take chapters and not paragraphs.

#26 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: It's called self-defense. If she wasn't in danger, then she shouldn't have used the gun at all

#27 Edited by mikethekiller (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

So instead of giving someone a chance to back down...you should just shoot them?

#28 Posted by Night Thrasher (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller: In Florida apparently so...

OH Florida! Just because your shaped like a huge Richard doesn't mean you have to act like one!

#29 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: Does that justify 20 years in jail... The woman has a daughter who is only 11 years old. She should have to answer for it but any jail time seems extreme to me. Why not just fine her and give her community service or something?

Where I live (Columbus) people fire their guns into the air during the 4th of July and they get no prison time or anything.... I guess that changes when someone is defending themselves.

Shooting at someone and shooting into the air are two totally different things.

So instead of giving someone a chance to back down...you should just shoot them?

The minute you pull out the gun you are giving them a chance to back down, if they refuse and your life is still in danger you shot its that simple.

#30 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.

Incompetent judge. This is a clear case of self-defense.

#31 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (973 posts) - - Show Bio

So if you get 20 years for just firing warning shots, why isn't Zimmerman in jail yet.

#32 Posted by russellmania77 (13623 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: she was getting her ass beat by a man, she did the right thing.

#33 Edited by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@nova_prime_: she didn't shoot at him, if she did he probably would be dead and she wouldn't face jail time. She fired warning shots.

#34 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

Where does it say that? She wouldn't be going to prison for attempted murder if he was battering her. Also, she turned down a three year prison sentence. They gave her an option, but she rejected. 20 years sounds fair for attempted murder.

#35 Posted by russellmania77 (13623 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: damn it, ur gonna make me read it again just to prove a point AAAAHHH challenge accepted

#36 Edited by Mr_Ingenuity (6370 posts) - - Show Bio

"I told you I'd shoot, why didn't you believe me?"

Props to anyone who remembers this quote. I'll go away now.

#37 Edited by mikethekiller (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:
@russellmania77 said:

Where does it say that? She wouldn't be going to prison for attempted murder if he was battering her. Also, she turned down a three year prison sentence. They gave her an option, but she rejected. 20 years sounds fair for attempted murder.

She fired a warning shot because she felt threatened, how is that attempted murder? Even still under Florida's stand your ground law it shouldn't really matter.

#38 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller: The husband didn't do anything to justify her action. What if she hit him? That could count as second-degree murder.

#39 Posted by mikethekiller (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

smh

#40 Posted by warlock360 (26901 posts) - - Show Bio

Ridiculous, the sheer fact that shooting without killing gets you more jail time than it does with. Same thing goes for rapists, they even get less jail time than people who rip movies.

#41 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe: Is that an online petition? If so, then it's useless without actual signatures.

#43 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: Is that an online petition? If so, then it's useless without actual signatures.

It already has signatures.

#44 Edited by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe: You mean people clicking a "sign" button, or actual handwritten signatures.

#45 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@cezar_thescribe: You mean people clicking a "sign" button, or actual handwritten signatures.

Either works.

#46 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe: I don't think you understand what I'm saying. That "petition" is a waste of time.

#47 Edited by Charlemagne (6970 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: lol hypocrisy the name is awesam :)

#48 Posted by Charlemagne (6970 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:
@russellmania77 said:

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order

#49 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Charlemagne (6970 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@the_last_arashikage: I don't get it. I'm just telling him it's useless.

Not the petition. The 360 from your stance on the Zimm case to this one. She was getting beat, she fired, went to jail. You say justice. Zimm was getting beat, fired, killed a person, got off with no jail time, you call that justice. I dont see the logic....