Five Third Films That Exceed Expectations

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Ah the third film. Third films are usually unlucky, as the first film is the one that paves the way and the second one is the one that comes along and picks things up even more. And the third film in many instances is left in the dust.

Or at least that seems to be the conception. I am going to attempt to re address that misconception in this article a little. To prove that their are some great third films out there and there are some that are better than the previous one.

Again this article is based entirely around my opinion. Which you may disagree or agree with. Comment below after you have read the article to tell me your opinion, on what you may agree or disagree with.

Transformers Dark Of The Moon.

No Caption Provided

For anyone who may know me or has heard me talking about Michael Bay's Transformers films. Knows that I am not exactly the biggest fan of the series, to say the least. The first film in the series is...the most bearable. Revenge of The Fallen is probably now used instead of water boarding people as a torture technique. And Dark of The Moon? Is not on that level. It is still a bad film, but it is not really that painful to watch, it is just mind numbing, it doesn't hurt quite as much when you watch. It seemed that Bay took some of the criticisms into account regarding ROTF, as much as he is capable of doing that.

Time will tell if Age of Extinction which will be hitting this year (the 30th anniversary of my beloved franchise) at the time of this typing will be better maybe even more bearable that DOTM. That is what I have lowered my expectations to regarding this series. Not "Will it be better than the last one?". But will it be more bearable?

Star Wars Episode Three Revenge Of The Sith.

No Caption Provided

What can I say that hasn't being said about the prequel trilogy? Again Revenge of The Sith is similar to the above example. In that it is only the best out of the three because it is not as awful as the others. It is not actually a good film in it's own right. Just not quite as dreadful as all.

Star Wars Episode Six Return of The Jedi

No Caption Provided

This is essentially the polar opposite of the above examples. This is where I start talking about the good third films. I like Return of The Jedi more than A New Hope. It is probably about even with Empire for me. But I like it a fair bit more than A New Hope.

Primarily because A New Hope is the start of the story. It runs alot more like a cliche fantasy story, which is fine. But both Empire and Jedi progress that story, they keep it going. Make it turn in more interesting directions. The final battle on the half built Death Star. Just spectacular. And is one of my top five moments in the Star Wars Original trilogy (possible list idea there?).

But the Original Trilogy is one of the best examples of why trilogies work.

Day Of The Dead

No Caption Provided

Ah the Dead series. Overall a wonderful series. Again Day of The Dead is a good example of how you can progress and add to the story, bring in new and different ideas. I think this installment is either a case of you either love it or you hate it. I myself found it very good (very good? come on I can do better than that!). But the case of the character Bub and the concept of zombies being living creatures that can learn. Was something I am glad Romero explored. This concept saved the third film from being generic. And Id have to say this is my second favorite after Dawn with the original coming in at a third.

It is probably the concept of Bub that has divided opinions on this film. I am in the corner that waves the flag for this one.

Army of Darkness

No Caption Provided

Id have to say that Army of Darkness is my second favorite out of the series, after Evil Dead 2. I thoroughly enjoy ED 2 and how this one follows on from it. This might well be another example of people being divided on it. Some not liking the now more comedic tone. Me personally? I am all for it. I wish that this series could have gone one. But then maybe it was wise to not let it go on and on. As it may have got stale.

This is a film I recommend to anyone to give it a go. Bruce Campbell is fantastic in it. And it was a treat to see Ash go on a completely different adventure.

Well I think I am going to wrap this list up here. I am sure I could fish around for more examples. But I'll keep this one a little shorter than the usual waffle. I am just going to link this article here http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3276019/5-horror-franchises-with-killer-3rd-installments/

As it spurred my inspiration to right my own similar list. Whilst I don't agree with alot of it. They were right on the money with Dream Warriors, that was one of the reasons why I didn't list it.

Thanks for reading. Do you have any more examples of third films that are not just good but are fantastic? Comment and tell me. :)

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha good list, man :)

Personally, ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars movie, and I think DOTM was just a little more tolerable than Revenge of the Fallen.

I do enjoy Army of Darkness, but I like Evil Dead 2 better.

I am going to name a threequel that exceeded all expectations, Toy Story 3!

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (I didn't like the book much) but the movie was fantastic and set the standard for the rest. And of course Toy Story 3. Would LOTR: Return of The King count but then again its just part 3 of a whole epic story, so maybe not.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha good list, man :)

Personally, ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars movie, and I think DOTM was just a little more tolerable than Revenge of the Fallen.

I do enjoy Army of Darkness, but I like Evil Dead 2 better.

I am going to name a threequel that exceeded all expectations, Toy Story 3!

It is pretty underrated IMO. It is.

Same here.

Ah yeah that is a good one.

@lyrafay said:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (I didn't like the book much) but the movie was fantastic and set the standard for the rest. And of course Toy Story 3. Would LOTR: Return of The King count but then again its just part 3 of a whole epic story, so maybe not.

If it is a third film, Id say it does.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Once Upon A Time In Mexico has the record for the most improved Threequel of all time making 122% more than Desperado

Loading Video...

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once Upon A Time In Mexico has the record for the most improved Threequel of all time making 122% more than Desperado

Loading Video...

Cool. I have only Desperado. It made more but was it a better film?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Back to The Future Part III

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TDKR.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#12  Edited By wildvine

I agree with most of this. Don't really have a fave in the original SW trilogy, but other wise with you all the way.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think Riddick was a good third film and was definitely better than Chronicles. Not sure if Die Hard with a Vengeance is better than the first but it's close and also a better movie than the second film. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was excellent and again right there with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Mad Max beyond ThunderDome was the best of that franchise.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but The Dark Knight Rises I thought was the best of the Nolan trilogy. In fact, it's actually my favorite superhero movie in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Return Of The King was amazing.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

The Dark Knight Rises.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Toy Story 3.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#18 frozen  Moderator

TDKR. In fact, it was actually critically praised as one of the best superhero films and better than Begins across the major reviewers, just not as good as TDK.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What bout the third Indy film, eh?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

I agree with most of this. Don't really have a fave in the original SW trilogy, but other wise with you all the way.

Cool. :)

@irishx said:

I think Riddick was a good third film and was definitely better than Chronicles. Not sure if Die Hard with a Vengeance is better than the first but it's close and also a better movie than the second film. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was excellent and again right there with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Mad Max beyond ThunderDome was the best of that franchise.

I still think I like the first Die Hard the best. Maybe followed on with the second. Though the third one was good. I did like Riddick it was a good film, I kinda felt it was very similar to the first one, yet I think it was better than the first, but at the same time I kinda wish it was more different to the original. Really hope they continue the series, seems like they have a story to tell. Chronicles is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine :) Last Crusade was good too. Good suggestions. Not seen many of the Mad Max films.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but The Dark Knight Rises I thought was the best of the Nolan trilogy. In fact, it's actually my favorite superhero movie in general.

Probably is :) But an opinion is an opinion. Though it seems alot of people agree with you on that. (or at least thought it was a good film)

@oscars94 said:

The Return Of The King was amazing.

Cool.

The Dark Knight Rises.

Fair enough.

Toy Story 3.

I agree it is up there.

@frozen said:

TDKR. In fact, it was actually critically praised as one of the best superhero films and better than Begins across the major reviewers, just not as good as TDK.

It probably would have. But I know I can't say it is a good film. I really wish I could, but I can't.

@ostyo said:

What bout the third Indy film, eh?

Yup. But I actually kinda liked the second one the most :)

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Wait, what? Did you take Caio's crazy pills by any chance?

lol No....maybe......>_>.......<_<

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@mrdecepticonleader: lol Your thoughts on Return of the King?

Eh, I have not really watched all of LOTR. I sat through them but, I have only seen em once really. So I can't give much of an opinion on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTS and TDOTM were awesome. Good list.

@experio said:

TDKR.

Agreed.