#1 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just going to ask a question and see what the response is. I'm not debating it nor will I respond. I'm just curious what people think on this one. If you want my thoughts, you can PM me.

During the recent fiscal cliff debates, Congress and the President made the case that the rich need to pay their fair share in taxes. What do you believe is a reasonable amount for the rich to pay the federal government in taxes?

That's my only question, but I would be interested in seeing any thoughts on the Fiscal Cliff.

#2 Posted by WillPayton (9548 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

I am just going to ask a question and see what the response is. I'm not debating it nor will I respond. I'm just curious what people think on this one. If you want my thoughts, you can PM me.

During the recent fiscal cliff debates, Congress and the President made the case that the rich need to pay their fair share in taxes. What do you believe is a reasonable amount for the rich to pay the federal government in taxes?

That's my only question, but I would be interested in seeing any thoughts on the Fiscal Cliff.

It depends. Ideally taxes would be as low as possible, but calculating what the actual numbers are is really, really hard.

The main problem here is not what the rich should pay, or any of that. The problem is that we have a broken political system, and things wont get much better unless we change the system. I give that low odds, therefore also low odds of things getting fixed anytime soon. We probably have to get close to a total economic collapse before real changes happen.

Personally, if I had the power to make whatever changes I wanted, I'd do:

1. Scrap the entire tax code and start again. The new tax code would be much simpler, so simple that anyone could do their taxes without the need for an accountant or lawyer. It would also be progressive. Most people would be able to do their taxes on a single page form.

2. Scrap the current healthcare system and set up a new universal system. It would be paid by tax money, everyone in the country would be covered, and would have nothing to do with what job you have. Employers would no longer have to provide healthcare for employees. This would be a huge benefit for American companies and would help lower medical costs.

3. Begin reducing military and discretionary spending (lets say by around 5% of current level per year). Keep this up for 4 to 6 years until we get to more reasonable numbers.

Then there's other things like:

4. Get rid of the filibusterer entirely

5. Give the President a line-item veto

6. Get rid of the FPTP and electoral systems and move to an Instant Runoff voting system

7. Public financing of Presidential elections

8. Get rid of lobbying in Congress

Do all those things and we'd be in good shape.

#3 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I say drive the sucker right off the cliff.