First Job Help!

opticblast98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By opticblast98

I'm looking for a place to work for my first job, I was wondering where is a good place to start. Like a department store like Toys R Us or Target or Walmart or a restaurant, or somewhere else like a Movie Theater? Please need some good suggestions. :)

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#2 wildvine  Moderator

Retail is easy, unfortunately that makes it so hard to land a job there cause employers can afford to be choosy.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Movie Theaters are really fun beside you get to watch free movies once your shift is over. I would recommend that.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

JUST DON'T DO COMIC BOOK STORES!!!

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Cream_God

Start doing stuff like babysitting and house care, build experience, then apply to minimum wage jobs, thats what im doing (btw i made honors and i cant even get a job at McDonalds)

Nightcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retail is a great first job, so I would suggest that. Also if you happen to be overweight, try to get a job as a cash pusher for a big name company such as Walmart. Had a friend who was three-hundred and fifty pounds when he started and within six months dropped down to something like two-hundred and seventy. He was so proud of himself.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In & Out pays a lot.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8  Edited By BatWatch

There are goods and bads to every job. Personally, my first job was McDonalds. Most people talk smack on fast food work, but I've never had a job more consistently enjoyable despite the fact that I'm now getting paid much more.

Just work hard and try to see the good in your work wherever you land.

I migh have more suggestions later.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: Oh it can, but it's great as a first job. Gives plenty of future experience and customer service you'll need later in life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My first job was as a cashier at McDonald's. Out of all the jobs I've had, that one was probably my least favorite. Your first job is most likely going to suck, but it's important to build your resume. Don't set your standards too high for your first job. Apply at fast food restaurants, maybe movie theaters, and maybe grocery stores. Remember, you are NEVER too good for your first job.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Toys R Us seems like it would be easy. My first job was at a grocery store and its probably the same except you don't have to worry about your stock expiring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@opticblast98: My first job was working at Mc Donalds in high school (@ryagan represent?) and it kind of sucked, but it was my first job so that's kind of a given. Fast food is likely the only kind of business that will hire you with no prior work experience, but if you're especially attractive I'd suggest looking for retail jobs first (ALWAYS APPLY IN PERSON). Either way, like people have already said, your first job is likely going to suck, but it's only the beginning of your working life, so do a good job of it and make sure it makes a good reference.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By legacy6364

I've worked in retail, restaurants, theaters, and security, they all suck. Though sometimes it does depend on your boss and co-workers. But in the movie theater I had a lot of great days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@squares: The McDonald's I worked at was awful. The management was bad, the scheduling was bad, and my boss always cut hours from our paychecks. Looking back on it, however, I'm glad I worked there. Working at such places will definitely humble a person.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I am in need of a servant. The pay isn't great but I do teach you a lot of life.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do what I did: Buy steel toed boots, a tool belt, tools, a hard hat, and get a job with a machine shop. Work, son.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@ryagan: That's very true. It also helps prepare you for the idiots and jerks you'll run into in future.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie Theaters are really fun beside you get to watch free movies once your shift is over. I would recommend that.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Internet "Cafe" .........it's an awesome job.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First job, I was a bagger/cashier at a grocery store. Wasn't bad, I was making at least 200 a week.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

- TAS

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@nickthedevil: :O 200 a week. I average 60-120 a week

I worked abit. lol. That, and Texas' minimum wage was decent.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil: I get paid $8.40 and hour and $9.90 on sunday's. I usuall work 12 hours a week

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@nickthedevil: I get paid $8.40 and hour and $9.90 on sunday's. I usuall work 12 hours a week

@hylian said:

@nickthedevil: :O 200 a week. I average 60-120 a week

I worked abit. lol. That, and Texas' minimum wage was decent.

I'm currently a bagger to work around 25 hours a week and make Michigan's min wage which is $8.50! I enjoy for all the people saying they hated there first job mine is pretty chill.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998 said:

This.

@ryagan said:

My first job was as a cashier at McDonald's. Out of all the jobs I've had, that one was probably my least favorite. Your first job is most likely going to suck, but it's important to build your resume. Don't set your standards too high for your first job. Apply at fast food restaurants, maybe movie theaters, and maybe grocery stores. Remember, you are NEVER too good for your first job.

And this.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By russellmania77

For less stress you shouldn't do fast food