Fare Fiction Reviews: To The Moon

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Ladies, Gentlemen and others, I welcome you. For the next installment of Fare Fiction Reviews, it's been a while, I know. I plan on taking you guys on a journey. A journey of sadness. A journey of hope. A journey to the moon.

No Caption Provided

Story

An old man is dying. His last wish is to visit the moon. Why? We don't know. But it's his final wish.

Doctor Neil Watts and Doctor Eva Rosalene visit the old man to make his last wish become reality. But to do so, they must find out why he wants to visit the moon. They bring with them a machine that let's them travel through the old man's memories. But soon they start getting involved in all sorts of mysteries that happened in the man's past.

As they travel from newer to older memories, they soon discover this man's life is a lot more complicated than thought. How did he meet is wife, River? Why is she making paper rabbits? Why are they so fond of a lighthouse? What role does the moon play in all of this? They have to piece together his memories.

When you unravel one, ten more pop up, and this game does a good job at hiding it's details from you.

Another thing this game does extremely well is it's humor. Referencing Doctor Who, Dragon Ball Z, Hulk, Street Fighter, How I met your mother, The Matrix, Twilight Bashing, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and many more. These pop culture references feel very in place, and often make you smile.

But this story is a drama. It's sad, and in the end, you feel like crying. The end just hits you like a bus. And I cried. I really did. And a game that can make me cry get's an instant recommendation.

Characters

No Caption Provided

I'll go down the four main characters. All of them make this game what it is. And all of them are interesting in their own way.

Doctor Neil Watts, your everyday sarcastic geek. Making pop culture references left and right. He's the total opposite of the very serious Doctor Eva Rosalene. These make a dynamic duo that never fails to deliver. The Quirky and Serious tones these characters give makes their conversations very fun to read. Of course there is more to them.

Slowly more character traits get released, and hints from their past. Making them more than just comic relief.

On the other hand we have John(The old dying man) and River.

River is a mentally ill girl. She doesn't talk to people very much, because it's hard for her to react in normal ways. But John on the other hand is a people's person. He has a lot of friends. But one day they meet. And for once, River has a friend.

River wants to be normal, and John wants to be special. And they balance each other out in their relationship.

"I wouldn't mind, just for once, to have the same name everyone else has. It's like those lights in the sky. They all look the same from here, but that doesn't make them any less pretty." -River

These characters have layers upon layers of character development and character traits. You care for them and the hardships they go through. They feel real, and they are enjoyable.

Graphics

To the moon is a 2D game.

No Caption Provided

You can expect these kind of graphics. Simplistic? Yes. But able to carry the story and characters? Totally.

It's simple design just adds to the charm, really.

Sound

There aren't any voice actors, which is amazing I think. They would just hold back the pace, you'll have to imagine a voice for these characters yourself. There are sound effects, and of course. Music.

The greatest music. The saddest music. Here is my favorite piece of the game, and the lyrics just fit so well.

Everything is alright...

Overall rating

Positives+:
Immersive story.
Crying ;_;
Amazing Characters
Superb music

Negatives-:
Not the prettiest graphics.

Overall rating: 9.5/10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sneaky Bump II

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

<3 I'm glad to see somebody reviewed this. I made a thread about To The Moon the first week it came out, but nobody knew what it was. Easily one of my favorite games. I always cry whenever I play it.

Did you know, it's been hinted River has Asperger's Syndrome? To The Moon mentions an author and if you search him up, he has books on the syndrome? I actually like how River was handled because I have Asperger's myself and could relate to how she was. Especially feeling like her mind was elsewhere.

Gotta see when A Bird Story will be coming out. Cannot wait.

Great review, mate! :)

I've been trying to convince @dragonborn_ct and @bumpyboo to play for quite awhile now. >___> They're missing out on a wonderful gem! =O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista: Yeah, it's really amazing. Always have to hold back tears. Ah, I love this indie games like Child of Light. Need to review more of them ^_^

I figured she had Asperger's Syndrome, there were a lot of hints. But you have it as well O_O? How do you live with it? Is it hard?

I'm sooo excited for A Bird Story! I'm totally going to buy it the moment it comes out.

Thanks ^_^

They totally should! It's like top-notch story telling! *Rumbles* @bumpyboo@dragonborn_ct I command you to play To the Moon! And right this instant!

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@samimista: @scorpion2501: Alright, alright >.> Dang I need an Steam account for that since I have so many games to play there, but I usually out of time and really busy with work >.<

Anyways, glad you tagged me in to see your review, mate. Its really just as good as Sammi tells me it is. Nice job :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Hooray ^_^. And thanks mate. It's a lot shorter than yours, but I had fun making it, and that's what counts :D

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#8 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Hmmmm *Judging stare*

I don't believe you! >:C

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@scorpion2501: *stares back intensely* O___O
I will! You have my word!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Alright then, you'll have to sign a contract with me, just to be sure.

This contract ("Contract") is an agreement between BumpyBoo, henceforth known as "Gamer" and Scorpion, henceforth known as "King of the universe, and leader of all that's right."

Gamer wishes to play "To The Moon" , known as "Awesome obligation to do" from King of the universe, and leader of all that's good. Awesome obligiation to do will be furnished to play on 1/10/14 European time or 10/1/14 American time.

Conditions for this obligition are as follows:

• Gamer will report status on game of Awesome obligition to do on 19/10/14 European time or 10/19/14 American time.
  • The Obligation plan: PLAY DA GAME
  • The final date for repayment will be: JUST DO IT
  • Failure to play awesome obligition will result in the matter REVENGE! SWEET REVENGE!(And Bumpyboo having to call Scorpion 'King of the universe, and leader of all that's right' for a year)

Gamer and King of the universe, and leader of all that's right agree to the conditions above, and sign to that effect in the presence of a notary public on the NOW day of SEPTEMBER???, 2014!.

Would you kindly sign this(This took a while to make :P)

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@dragonborn_ct: Hooray ^_^. And thanks mate. It's a lot shorter than yours, but I had fun making it, and that's what counts :D

Ha, no worries about the lenght (my most recent was pretty sort for my usual stuff ) Its the fun writing that matters indeed! ^_^

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@scorpion2501: That effort though!! You even included correct European date formats! Wow. So impressed 8D

Okay...I will sign it. That's definitely enough time, so there'll be no excuses if I don't do this now! :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Short O_O! You silly!

If that was short, I don't know what long is =P

@bumpyboo: Hah! Now you're locked in contract!
I almost want to see you not do it, just so you would call me that insanely long title :P

Have fun playing it ^_^

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@samimista: Yeah, it's really amazing. Always have to hold back tears. Ah, I love this indie games like Child of Light. Need to review more of them ^_^

I figured she had Asperger's Syndrome, there were a lot of hints. But you have it as well O_O? How do you live with it? Is it hard?

I'm sooo excited for A Bird Story! I'm totally going to buy it the moment it comes out.

Thanks ^_^

They totally should! It's like top-notch story telling! *Rumbles* @bumpyboo@dragonborn_ct I command you to play To the Moon! And right this instant!

Child of Light...I really hope it gets a sequel somehow. I loved everything about it. Especially seeing Aurora grow up. Seriously did not expect that! O___O I was gonna review Child of Light when it came out, but got busy with exams.

My sister and I are both autistic. She's low functioning whereas I'm high functioning. :) It has gotten better over the years, but I still have weird habits. I don't like when my food touches, I eat counterclockwise, I am very precise with time and metaphors go over my head along with pick up lines. When I was younger I would recite movies. Mainly Alice In Wonderland and Mary Poppins which I had memorized.

Sometimes I get social anxiety in real life when it comes to large crowds, but it rarely happens.

Oh, and I get fixated on certain hobbies as well...Not only did I recited movies when I was younger, but I would quote Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid 4...I used to even read Snake Eater's manuscript online and analyze it. O____O

*is very special*

And yes! They better play! xD Caio said he'll be getting a Steam account around Christmas break and Bumpy already has one. >__> I've offered her to use my Steam library...She must play it soon! =O

Can't wait to see more reviews from you. :) Have you ever played Psychonauts by the way?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psychonauts, oh nelly. It's been a while since I heard that name. I used to play it like 6? 7? years back. It's a bit vague, but I remember there were a lot of jokes and levels looked totally wack O_o

I convinced Bumpy to play ^_^. We signed a contract!

Wow, it does sound harsh at certain times. Are you Drax O_O? Missing metaphors and all ^_^(Sorry if that offended you?)
You totally are special. I'm a bit jealous, but at the same time I'm not.

I'm sorry for your sister :(. How is she living with it? Low is a lot harder than high functioning, right?