Fanboy? Seems legit...

Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

It bugs me when people call someone a fanboy. Do you come to this site not expecting someone who likes a certain character? Do you feel the same way, or am I overreacting?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Embrace your fanboyism.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

Everyone is a fanboy of everything.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By PeppeyHare

It bugs me when people call someone a fanboy. Do you come to this site not expecting someone who likes a certain character? Do you feel the same way, or am I overreacting?

Sounds like something a fanboy would say

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I hate when people see they can't win a debate, so they go Ad Hominem and start calling the other guy a fanboy.

Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Superskrull86

Dragonball, dragonball everywhere...

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bald guys from animation, bald guys from animation everywhere...

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonball, dragonball everywhere...

The invasion is coming.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9 god_spawn  Moderator

No, I think you're just overreacting. It's just the general term fanboy is thrown around when someone is normally so obsessed with their character that they can't see that character losing in a reasonable way. Take the classic Storm case for example when they had a few users think Storm was capable of defeating Odin, Galactus, TOAA, etc.

Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Superskrull86
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rofl soon you will be one of us, one of us.

(C'mon, all the COOL kids are changing into DB avatars...)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superskrull86 said:

No, I think you're just overreacting. It's just the general term fanboy is thrown around when someone is normally so obsessed with their character that they can't see that character losing in a reasonable way. Take the classic Storm case for example when they had a few users think Storm was capable of defeating Odin, Galactus, TOAA, etc.

this

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#13 SC  Moderator

It can be an accurate if not harsh assessment of another poster or posters, but its also a very lazy way to attempt to discredit views that personally annoy, frustrate or upset a person. Not many people like to admit they are upset or frustrated so better to just accuse other people of lacking in some way. It can sound innocent enough to seem like its not an insult and to some it actually isn't an insult. So its uses varies and so does its reception. Really a much better way to throw around such terms in a negative sense is just to ask people why sincerely. Usually forces them to try reason, and even if their reasoning seems off to you at least you know they are capable of it.

Example. Person A: Why do you think Magneto beats Galactus? Person B: Well Galactus has all that metal and so... Now instead of Person A calling MagnetoWasRight99 a Magneto fanboy, they could try to provide what they may consider superior reasoning or just smile and run away from that situation as fast as they can. Metaphorically speaking. Like another poster said, most people are fanboys about something. I am a fanboy of logic, reason and peace. Take that Ares and War Machine fanboys!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Wolverine008

The word fanboy is thrown around too much.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem I have is that people often say fanboy, but not fangirl. It's hard to tell if they're only talking about the male fans, or if they're using the male word to describe everyone for some reason.

I think it should either be said as fanboys/fangirls, or use something like fanchild that can include everyone.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem I have is that people often say fanboy, but not fangirl. It's hard to tell if they're only talking about the male fans, or if they're using the male word to describe everyone for some reason.

I think it should either be said as fanboys/fangirls, or use something like fanchild that can include everyone.

I have found what the difference is suppose to be.

Fanboy = Crazy fan of the character in general

Fangirl = Crazy fan of the character due to their attractiveness.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By judasnixon

Fanboy is like the word hipster, people like throwing it around at the drop of the hat, but most people don't know what one is...........

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DecoyElite

Fanboy is like the word hipster, people like throwing it around at the drop of the hat, but most people don't know what one is...........

Most people know what a fanboy is suppose to be they just apply it to non-fanboys to discredit them.

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The deciding factor for me is fanaticism. It is a scary concept. I have seen scientists trading punches over a scientific theory. And we see a lot of associations with religion. Even sports attract the more 'enthusiastic' individuals. I think that once one steers away from logic, reason, fact or basic politeness they are on a slippery slope. I see many times a person will provide a scan of a panel that supports their point of view and their opponent (yes sad but true) will just ignore it and continue their rant. It is hilarious as everything that is discussed is fiction...something that another human creates. Yes Batman could defeat TOAA, it just takes a few pen strokes. People forget that the most powerful force in comics is not the Presence, TOAA, Superman or Wolverine...not even Stan Lee...it is the money in your pocket! That decides who wins, who loses, who is killed and immediately resurrected.

There seems to be correlation between certain characters/genres and the amount of 'exhuberance' they encourage. The ones I find most intimidating are, sorry to say...Superman, Batman and the kings by far are the DBZ fans...WOW!!! They can hijack any thread in a matter of moments, destroy any discussion and seem the first to descend into insults.

But hey it is just my humble opinion...I am now going to hide in a cave for a while until the Goku crew lose interest. Quick, someone start a "Goku vs The Presence+TOAA and MoM" thread, I need a five minute head start.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

Everybody is a fanboy of something but there is a time where the fanboyism is just too much.Like in a debate where the character of the fanboy can't win and he starts explaining how his favorite character will win only by his awesomeness or something that makes no sense at all.Or there are fanboys that insult users that just don't like their favorite character.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't and will not deny it, Imma Manga fanboy

Embrace your Fanboyism

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#23 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

I have found what the difference is suppose to be.

Fanboy = Crazy fan of the character in general

Fangirl = Crazy fan of the character due to their attractiveness.

So I'm a.....fanboy?

It is wrong how much this pleases me XD

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Which character are you a fanboy of?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@decoyelite: To be honest, I am guilty of fanboying over pretty much anything I get into to some extent, I get a bit too into things I like :/ But the one I am worst for is Scream Queen. She is the answer to every "Best character/Sexiest character/Best outfit/Who wins?" thread I ever posted in pretty much. Got it bad O__o

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Ah remember seeing that comic with her one time when I was looking around the wiki. Need to check it out one of these days.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@decoyelite: It's her attitude I always loved :) The main series she was in, Scare Tactics, was the first non-strip comic I ever got into :)

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

And you also arent entitled to an opinion unless you have read every comic in existance. The internet is full of trolls and children - just ignore it and save yourself the headache.