#1 Posted by Inverno (13230 posts) - - Show Bio

The Family Guy Effect is a postulated phenomenon that claims when an Internet meme is showcased on the show Family Guy, the meme will see a brief burst in popularity, followed by an immediate sharp decline. Prior to being associated with Internet meme exposure, the Family Guy effect was used to describe how a joke becomes less funny when repeated over time.

#2 Posted by Inverno (13230 posts) - - Show Bio

According to KnowYourMeme.com The Family Guy Effect is a postulated phenomenon that claims when an Internet meme is showcased on the show Family Guy, the meme will see a brief burst in popularity, followed by an immediate sharp decline. Prior to being associated with Internet meme exposure, the Family Guy effect was used to describe how a joke becomes less funny when repeated over time. Several examples such as Chuck Norris Facts, Christian Bale Rant and Rick Roll have fallen out of favor after being exposed in Family Guy. Debate now

#3 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9740 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess so but all I know is family guy sucks. And I hope they do cat memes next. And ponies. I hate ponies. 

#4 Posted by YoungJustice (6846 posts) - - Show Bio

True.

#5 Posted by The Stegman (24472 posts) - - Show Bio

False, I got the Chuck Norris jokes from the book made and Rick Roll from...well, being Rick Rolled.

#6 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Hah yeah I can see that. Especially since Family Guy jokes are hilarious yet hardly memorable, if you think about it.

#7 Posted by superstay (9840 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess, I just found out about it in this thread......so d-_-b

#8 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Family guy is funny the first time (which would explain the burst in popularity) but when you try watching it again you realize its horse Sh*t (explains sharp decline)

#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely true.

#10 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

False

THIS

#11 Posted by cameron83 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: true

#12 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch said:

Hah yeah I can see that. Especially since Family Guy jokes are hilarious yet hardly memorable, if you think about it.
#13 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw Family Guy, it's all about Bob's Burgers and Archer. :3

#14 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

The Peanut Butter jelly meme became quite popular after that particular episode,But I'm not sure if it existed before the episode aired.

#15 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20263 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmmm.... Maybe...

#16 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea of meme's is not to be mainstream. once they are on the internet and get a little popular nothing stops them from becoming a mainstream. Being mainstream goes against being a meme. So yes and no. It is not only Family Guy, but they don't help keep the meme alive.

#17 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

False.

#18 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

True.

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

It's false because Family Guy only uses those memes then they are old as hell. The episode that made a Rick Astley reference wasn't using the Rick Roll mem, I think Seth McFarlane actually likes the song. He uses tons of 80's references. Also I didn't know the Christian Bale rant was a meme.

#20 Posted by Augment (98 posts) - - Show Bio
@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

I love Archer! It's horribly crass humor written for the intellectual.
#21 Posted by Githzerai (58 posts) - - Show Bio

If a meme shows up on Family Guy, odds are that the meme has already been around for a while and would've died out eventually on it's own anyway. It's not necessarily because of Family Guy that the meme dies.

#22 Posted by Swagger462 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Seth McFarlane is a hack and the only funny part of Family Guy was season 1 and possibly season 2. I don't know if it is fair to say that Family Guy kills memes due to how fragile the popularity of most memes are anyway. But I definitely agree with the repetition of jokes. Also making jokes too long, forcing jokes to fit in situations when they're not funny anyway and also f*ck Family Guy.

#23 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Augment said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

I love Archer! It's horribly crass humor written for the intellectual.

You said it not me. :P

#24 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22341 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP!

#25 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

Bob's Burgers is my favorite show at the moment. I really dug the first two seasons of Archer as well, I haven't caught any of the third on yet.

#26 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18079 posts) - - Show Bio

Just reading the OP made me smile because its just typed in a really serious and informative way. Sometimes its the same when I read something like its put in such a formal manner and its really not meant to be.

#27 Posted by Skysword (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its true.

#28 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5646 posts) - - Show Bio

IDK.

#29 Posted by No_Trolling (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Gosh I hate bobs burgers taking up the late night american dad spot on adult swim. Give me my american dad time back.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess so but all I know is family guy sucks. And I hope they do cat memes next. And ponies. I hate ponies.

Our cat overlords will never allow cat memes to die.