Eye Rank my Top 10 Directors of All Time

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Edited By EyeDCyou

Welcome back to the Eye Rank series, where I create lists involving various film topics and then shove my opinions down your throats! Today I'm going to list and rank my ten favorite directors of all time. I hope this goes with out saying, but I'll be sure to mention that THESE ARE NOT MY PICKS FOR THE 10 BEST DIRECTORS OF ALL TIME. That list would look wayyyy different. These are simply my 10 favorite directors. I will be adding what I believe to be each of their best movies, as well as my favorite. I guess I'll go ahead and get into it now!

Since this is a comic site, I'll add a little note at the end of each director if they have any comic book significance.

HONORABLE MENTION

Wes Anderson

10. Mel Brooks

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: Young Frankenstein (1974)

My Favorite Film: Young Frankenstein

Everyone needs to respect this man if you love movies. He is the greatest comedy director of all time, and one of the great comedic geniuses ever. He created timeless classics like Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Producers (film), & History of the World. You'll find each of his films hilarious and inspiring, as well as wickedly clever in his creativity in each film. One of my favorite examples of his creativity is basically all of Blazing Saddles. That great moments when they break through the set and ride their horses through a modern day town is my personal favorite example. One of the funniest men to ever live, Mr. Mel Brooks.

Next Film - N/A

Comic Book Significance: None

9. Bryan Singer

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: The Usual Suspects (1995)

My Favorite Film: The Usual Suspects

The creative mind behind the beloved X-Men franchise, Bryan Singer comes in at number 9 on my list. Of course, he has done more than just X-Men films, his first and only masterpiece, is The Usual Suspects. One of the greatest films of all time, that also features the greatest twist of all time. Looking past that, he directed 3 of the 4 good X-Men movies, as well as Superman Returns. He's one of those directors that rarely has a low point, and he continues to put out quality films over the years. Mr. Superhero, Bryan Singer at 9.

Next Film: X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Comic Book Significance: X-Men Franchise, Superman Returns

8. Robert Zemeckis

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: Forrest Gump (1994)

My Favorite Film: Back to the Future (1989)

Robert Zemeckis is basically Steven Speilberg 2.0. He actually spent a lot of his early career as sort of Speilberg's protege, and you can see it in his films. He's the man behind The Back to the Future Trilogy, Forrest Gump, Cast Away, Flight, & Who Framed Roger Rabbit. He has tremendous range, and it was very surprising when I found out that the somewhat comedic mind behind Back to the Future & Forrest Gump, was also the mind behind Cast Away & Flight. His films always please me, and BTTF is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm glad this guy isn't done yet, and we can see another one of his films quite soon. Zemeckis at 8.

Next Film: The Walk (2015)

7. Paul Thomas Anderson

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: There Will be Blood (2007)

My Favorite Film: There Will be Blood

I honestly believe that PTA will go down as one of the all-time greats. His films certainly aren't for everyone, and I'll be the first to tell you that I definitely don't recommend him to just anyone. He has produced such greats as Magnolia, Boogy Nights, Punch-Drunk-Love, The Master, & of course There Will be Blood. TWBB is a masterpiece, and one of the greatest films of all time without a doubt. His films are deep as sh*t, and they hardly ever show their meaning without a lot of thought afterwards. PTA also has a talent of bringing out amazing performances from his actors. You won't find a bad lead in any of his films, and I'd say that's impressive as hell. The Parent Teacher Association comes in at 7.

Next Film: N/A

6. Stanley Kubrick

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

My Favorite Film: The Shining (1980)

I know that everyone has their own opinion, but I honestly believe Stanley Kubrick to be the greatest director of all time. One of the reasons I think that (very much like Alan Moore) is that he is somewhat insane. He goes so far as intentionally putting mistakes into his films. He has masterpiece after masterpiece, with titles such as: 2001, Fullmetal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, & Eyes Wide Shut. Another director that is certainly not for everyone, as his films are deeply symbolic, and often lack clarity plot wise. My favorite of his films, The Shining, is definitely a good example of that.

Next Film: He is deceased.

5. David Fincher

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: Se7en (1995)

My Favorite Film: Se7en

Here's one that I know most of you are quite found of. Fincher has become more and more popular commercially as of late, whereas he started as a bit of an indie cult follower. His first film, is also probably his greatest achievement; Seven (Se7en) is a piece of genius that rarely comes along from the crime (non-mafia) drama. We seem to sift through layers of sh*t covered cop movies each year, but every once in a while, there's a gem, and in 1995, Seven was that film. He has gone on to create other such films as The Social Network, Fight Club, Gone Girl, & Zodiac. His films definitely air on the darker side, but they're so brilliant that some of you lighter types will definitely find them enjoyable.

Next Film: The Girl Who Played With Fire (rumored)

Comic Book Significance: None. Fight Club is now a comic book I suppose.

4. Joel & Ethan Coen

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: No Country for Old Men (2007)

My Favorite Film: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

The Coen brothers have made their living off of quirky movies that bask in dark comedy. Whether it's the riveting tales of No Country for Old Men or Fargo, or the deliciously odd Burn After Reading or The Big Lebowski, everyone can find something to love from these brothers. One of the few choices on my list to actually win an Oscar for best picture, the brothers Coen will always deliver a film that is cleverly funny, disturbingly odd, and wickedly brilliant. Be sure to make time to catch up on some of their classics.

Next Film: Hail, Ceaser! (2016)

Comic Book Significance: None, again.

3. Quentin Tarantino

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: Reservoir Dogs (1992)

My Favorite Film: Inglorious Bastards (2009)

Another weirdo we add to the list. I guess that's what I like. Weird. Anyway, you all know the QT, and most people (especially my age) love his movies. They're funny, unrealistically violent, unnatural to any time period, and just fantastic. Tarantino has a very unique style of story telling that is unlike most others, in that he likes to divide his films into labeled sections quite often. You can see that in Pulp Fiction & Kill Bill quite obviously. You know that you're always in for a treat when you check out a Tarantino joint, and that is why he comes in at number 3 on my list.

Next Film: The Hateful Eight (2015)

Comic Book Significance: He was a guest director on Sin City

2. Martin Scorsese

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: Goodfellas (1990)

My Favorite Film: The Departed (2006)

The only other one on my list that I would say could fairly be argued for the greatest director of all time, Mr. Eyebrows is an absolute legend. He's been in the industry for ages, and he has never had a low point in all those years. He's created brilliant pieces such as Goodfellas, The Departed, Raging Bull, Mean Streets, The Wolf of Wall Street, & the unbelievable Taxi Driver. He does the crime genre better than anyone else, and that is a fact. You can toss FFC in my face all you want, but Marty has around 10 solid crime titles, whereas FFC really only has 2. We're lucky that Scorsese is still directing at the age of 72, and hopefully he'll stick around for a few more.

Next Film: Silence (2016)

1. Christopher Nolan

No Caption Provided

Their Best Film: Memento (2000)

My Favorite Film: The Dark Knight (2008)

OK OK OK, settle down. Yes he made the brilliant Dark Knight trilogy, but that isn't the reason why he's my favorite. I've seen everyone of his movies, and with the exception of Insomnia, I loved every single one of them, and they are some of my all time favorites. Films like: Following, Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, & Inception. Everyone of them is brilliant, and even though they might be a bit intellectualist, they are still fantastic pieces of drama that have real human stories inside of them. Take Interstellar for example. A massive Science Fiction piece with some common 'save the world' elements, but it also houses one of the best human stories I've ever heard. That kind of cross genre blending is unparalleled today, and is just one of the many reasons why he is my number 1.

Next Film: N/A

Comic Book Significance: Director of The Dark Knight trilogy.

So that's that. Like the list? Who are your favorite directors?

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

good list and you really need to watch Insomnia Robin Williams was amazing in it

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Steven Speilberg? ._.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good list and you really need to watch Insomnia Robin Williams was amazing in it

I saw Insomnia, I was saying that I didn't really care for it.

Steven Speilberg? ._.

Not a huge Speilberg fan. I respect him, and I like a lot of his movies, but these guys are all better 4 meh.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Solid list

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Whoops misread that

I thought the movie would've been a lot better if Al Pacino wasn't the lead.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nice list. Your top 3 is almost exactly like mine, except I have Scorsese at #1 and Nolan at 2

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamdaddy20 said:

Nice list. Your top 3 is almost exactly like mine, except I have Scorsese at #1 and Nolan at 2

And I could probably convince myself to make that switch as well haha.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@lamdaddy20 said:

And I could probably convince myself to make that switch as well haha.

You really can't go wrong with either director. Neither has made a bad movie so far, the only reason I like Scorsese more is I love watching crime movies. The Departed and Goodfellas are two of my favorite movies of all time.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list, honestly. Always nice to see love for the Coen brothers.

But Kubrick should DEFINITELY be higher.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamdaddy20: The Departed is actually my favorite movie ever haha.

@jonez120:Can't argue there haha. Like I said, I think he's the greatest director of all time.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Nice! It's definitely my favorite Scorsese movie, and probably second or third favorite ever for me. Everyone was amazing in that movie, especially Leo. I thought he at least deserved an Oscar nomination for that performance

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamdaddy20: Yeah. His movie this year looks promising though. It's by the guy who directed Birdman, and Leo is basically the only person in the movie.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

great choices

~MiB

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

To me Stanley Kubrick is and always will be number 1

Also, i would insert Francis Ford Coppola on the list.

And like 3/4 of your list wouldn't have even apeared on my list.

But overall, it's a fine list

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lateralus

The list is missing Aronofsky

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Nice list but a curious question, since film quality is subjective how do you differentiate their best film from your favourite film? Wouldn't your favourite film be automatically be counted as their best?

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath said:

Nice list but a curious question, since film quality is subjective how do you differentiate their best film from your favourite film? Wouldn't your favourite film be automatically be counted as their best?

I was also wondering this, great list btw :)

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I learnt alot from this list thank you :)

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mfundroid

Michael Bay is missing from your list :P Other than that, awesome choices.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: @black_wreath: Great question, and I'll try to answer it the best I can. When you go through and watch and examine as many movies as I have, you quickly learn how to spot elements that equal high quality and creativity. You can take these observations and compare them with critical response, awards, and lifetime impact, and you can learn to appreciate and respect that a film is truly better than another. That being said, the film I recognize as the best is not always my favorite. Things that categorize my favorite films are rewatchability, enjoyable moments, and primary reactions. For example, with Chris Nolan I have Memento as his best film, because I think it is the greatest piece of story telling he has ever created. The madness of the unchronoligical plot and the furthering complications of the mystery are all things to marvel at, but it is somewhat of a difficult watch, and not something I'd want to just pick up in my downtime. The Dark Knight is my favorite of his because I'm a huge Batman fan, and the film just loads of fun and easy to watch. Hope that helps clear up your question.

@laflux said:

I learnt alot from this list thank you :)

That's great to hear!

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Ah, I see, what are some of these elements which you spot?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EyeDCyou

@quinnofthestoneage: A few would be like: How effective the story was told in the run time. Originality and creativity in editing, dialogue, plot structure, and attention to detail. Acting performances. Depth of themes and narrative. etc. Just a few examples I guess.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@eyedcyou: Fair enough, while personally I believe your enjoyment should trump all other factors I cannot disagree with a list that highlights Se7en and The Shining, my two favourite films.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: The Revenant? It also has Tom Hardy and Will Poulter.

Avatar image for thegreatvampirekillerx
TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weak list dude.

David Lynch, Frank Hanenlotter, David Cronenburg, John Carpenter, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Wells, Woody Allen or Roman Polanski.

Scorsesse and Kubrick are the only two that belong on the list.

But how can you mention Scorsesse without mentioning The last temptation of Christ, Alice doesn't live here anymore, The king of comedy or After hours?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcus_halberstram: I know, but I read the plot synopsis, and it sounds like Leo is going to be by himself on screen for most of the movie.

Weak list dude.

David Lynch, Frank Hanenlotter, David Cronenburg, John Carpenter, or even Roman Polanski.

All great directors, but not in my top 10.

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Yeah sorry dude but your list is killing me

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Yeah sorry dude but your list is killing me

Well these are my ten favorite directors, not who I consider the ten best. You can't tell me my opinion is wrong, so sorry.

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs more Michael Bay.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Hopefully he won't be snubbed like the last million times...

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamdaddy20: He'll definitely be nominated. Just depends if anyone is better.