dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By dshipp17

@matteopg said:

As I was saying, you don't seem very knowledgeble in this things, considering how adamant you are in saying that I'm the ignorant one.

Ever heard of optical or magnetic tweezers? Of FRET, STED and PALM? I mean without going on wikipedia (which isn't very accurate on these things). These are some of the techniques we use in our lab to measure physical parameters of biological processes: we can measure the forces of a protein attaching to a receptor in the scale of pico-Newtons, or the moment an mRNA transcript is released from the nucleus down to nanoseconds... and these are just very few of those things.

Techniques and methods have progressed a lot since the last time you studied some science. We can observe the very phenomena at the base of evolution live as they happen in single cells.

I don't speak from authority. Anyone can go and verify the things I say, with the right skill and equipment. Science is wide open to observation and debate. But the more we know, the more evolution stays firm and is proven time and time again.

EDIT: I don't know why the text looks like a link. It is involuntary.

Surely, I should have heard in the media somewhere if such measurements that I asked were possible; what you seem to be telling me is that telescopy has improved a lot since I last studied science; however, I asked how would you observe these phenomena through physics techniques; I guess I should have also clarified the question with at what point were these phenomena measured? Of course, I've predicted that telescopy would start to improve upon my leaving school. Are you also saying that labs now have the ability to observe atoms through telescopy, but the media missed? Or did I just miss it? Please, do tell, and refer me to these media events that I missed. The information refuting evolution actually began to surge starting around 2004; as I go to pluck out some of these, I'll note a number of updates on my side as well. Even with the improvements you're bringing to light, nothing is actually refuting that creationism could have been, or was likely to have been possible. I'm not really up to date because I've been facing a lot of stress over the last 7 years; it just began to lessen some at the start of this year; I've been forced to be a self taut attorney in employment law and I'm doing very good there; but, I'm interested to learn anything new that I missed, but I surely would have been acutely aware of viewing an atom, if I were exposed to such a discovery.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@dshipp17 said:

@matteopg said:

As I was saying, you don't seem very knowledgeble in this things, considering how adamant you are in saying that I'm the ignorant one.

Ever heard of optical or magnetic tweezers? Of FRET, STED and PALM? I mean without going on wikipedia (which isn't very accurate on these things). These are some of the techniques we use in our lab to measure physical parameters of biological processes: we can measure the forces of a protein attaching to a receptor in the scale of pico-Newtons, or the moment an mRNA transcript is released from the nucleus down to nanoseconds... and these are just very few of those things.

Techniques and methods have progressed a lot since the last time you studied some science. We can observe the very phenomena at the base of evolution live as they happen in single cells.

I don't speak from authority. Anyone can go and verify the things I say, with the right skill and equipment. Science is wide open to observation and debate. But the more we know, the more evolution stays firm and is proven time and time again.

Surely, I should have heard in the media somewhere if such measurements that I asked were possible; what you seem to be telling me is that telescopy has improved a lot since I last studied science; however, I asked how would you observe these phenomena through physics techniques; I guess I should have also clarified the question with at what point were these phenomena measured? Of course, I've predicted that telescopy would start to improve upon my leaving school. Are you also saying that labs now have the ability to observe atoms through telescopy, but the media missed? Or did I just miss it? Please, do tell, and refer me to these media events that I missed. The information refuting evolution actually began to surge starting around 2004; as I go to pluck out some of these, I'll note a number of updates on my side as well. Even with the improvements you're bringing to light, nothing is actually refuting that creationism could have been, or was likely to have been possible. I'm not really up to date because I've been facing a lot of stress over the last 7 years; it just began to lessen some at the start of this year; I've been forced to be a self taut attorney in employment law and I'm doing very good there; but, I'm interested to learn anything new that I missed, but I surely would have been acutely aware of viewing an atom, if I were exposed to such a discovery.

... you don't even know the basics then, you should have said that. Something that has never been proven doesn't need to be disproven. We never disproved dragons, vampires and magic, because there was never a theory of those things.
Creationism has never been hinted to by any observation in any science by anyone. There is no need to disprove it.

Also, everything I told you is based on physics. STED and PALM are based on quantum effects and stochastic optics. The revelation of such phenomena is carried out by camera with photomultipliers. We use low intensity, high precision lasers for the eccitation and stimulated emission. That is physics. There is a reason they call it biophysics.

The fact that you think that only particle accelerators are physics is not good. Most of all, my first paragraph is the most important thing.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353  Edited By dshipp17

@matteopg said:

@dshipp17 said:

@matteopg said:

... you don't even know the basics then, you should have said that. Something that has never been proven doesn't need to be disproven. We never disproved dragons, vampires and magic, because there was never a theory of those things.

Creationism has never been hinted to by any observation in any science by anyone. There is no need to disprove it.

Also, everything I told you is based on physics. STED and PALM are based on quantum effects and stochastic optics. The revelation of such phenomena is carried out by camera with photomultipliers. We use low intensity, high precision lasers for the eccitation and stimulated emission. That is physics. There is a reason they call it biophysics.

The fact that you think that only particle accelerators are physics is not good. Most of all, my first paragraph is the most important thing.

You didn't even answer my questions but proceeded with implied insults; be specific, I don't know the basics of what? Biophysics or science in general? Going back to my example, Static State Theory was never proven but it was accepted by the scientific community for a while; attempts to prove it is what actually lead to the development of the Big Bang Theory; there are a number of similar examples; so, what you're saying is misleading for those who might not be science literate but hold the view opposite yours.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I am usually much more communicative and accomodating. But as I said in my first post: I was going to debate if you wanted to talk. The fact that you side-stepped my points shows me you don't.

I am glad you have all the answers in life and know so many things that the whole world doesn't.

My only puzzlement is as to why would you withold such vital informations and don't publish anything on the subject, if your proof is so definitive. This is always what stomps me about creationist "scientists". They have shown, according to them, how the whole theory of how humanity evolved is wrong. And yet, they withold their proofs and data, only trying to convert people one forum at a time.

But I guess that you prefer acting sketchy and like a conspiracy theorist... it's much more gratifying for some people :)

I'm going to write for my next publication.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By dshipp17

@matteopg said:

@dshipp17: I am usually much more communicative and accomodating. But as I said in my first post: I was going to debate if you wanted to talk. The fact that you side-stepped my points shows me you don't.

I am glad you have all the answers in life and know so many things that the whole world doesn't.

My only puzzlement is as to why would you withold such vital informations and don't publish anything on the subject, if your proof is so definitive. This is always what stomps me about creationist "scientists". They have shown, according to them, how the whole theory of how humanity evolved is wrong. And yet, they withold their proofs and data, only trying to convert people one forum at a time.

But I guess that you prefer acting sketchy and like a conspiracy theorist... it's much more gratifying for some people :)

I'm going to write for my next publication.

Not actually addressing questions or points; guess you believe proof is in silence. But, no scientist is a jack of all trades, especially since graduate programs forces one to specialize. Because you know some obscure developments in your own studies does not demonstrate that another scientist is not knowledgeable; I'm pretty sure I can come up with an obscure fact about chemistry that you wouldn't know; by that standard, you're not knowledgeable; you seem to have issues with your ego and maturity level, but that usually follows with someone who's made some publication. Don't know where your presumptions are from, but I never said I was specialized in creationism; however, nothing proves that there're no publications tending to prove creationism, it only says you're unaware of them, being purposefully ignorant of the field, but trying to be critical of the field at the same time, a very foolish tactic.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: if you want to disproove evolution, you have to at least know that we have observed mutations as they happen and are able to reproduce it in vitro, also that we have observed it in nature millions of times. That is not obscure, especially if you want to rally against a well consolidated theory. How is that obscure? And also, it doesn't address my main point (which I highlighted in case you didn't catch it): your main failing is not knowing the basics principles of how science (and human reason, really works)... observation, burden of proof, reiteration.

I just wrote this to be extra careful to not look like I'm the one derailing the conversation, and to show that my critiques were way more fundamentals. I brought up specifics because you asked them... and the fact that you now complain that I brought them up is, again, very poor of a showing.

Bye.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: because this is turning into a out of hand flame war

I actually agree with this. I am trying to pull out but I get baited. That is my bad. Maybe we should just stop. I am willing to apoligize if I was too confrontational.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mrdecepticonleader: because this is turning into a out of hand flame war

Just seems to be a fair amount of heated discussion. Maybe that is your definition for flame war.?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By kcomicfan

@mrdecepticonleader: there may be heat discussion. but there is insults being thrown around and this is going to get severely out of hand and people are going to get even more offended. so it needs to be locked now before that happens.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: that is good you should tell them that it was a good debate but it might get out of hand . I need the name of the moderate who manages there forums so i can make this case to them.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By MatteoPG

@kcomicfan: I am officially putting down the gloves. The debate could have been good but it doesn't seem to be really fruitful and I don't wanto to be the person to make it worse. Also, the actual topic of this thread has been discussed pages ago.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@superlightning123: I've been gone from this thread for days now. How am I not calm about something I've moved on from? Granted I feel the same way as I did before but I'm still calm about it.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17:

There are a few errors in your last reply to me, that I decided to correct before anything else. As usual, I put your comment in Italics and quotation marks, and my own reply underneath it.

"I had to reexamine science through the lens that I had been programmed to presupposed things that were not actually established fact like say E=mc^2, F=ma, the periodic table, etc."

E=mc^2, F=MA, the periodic table, and tons of other similar equations are actually well established facts, that have been tested, and re-tested, and tested over again. Each of them have had thousands of scientists trying to falsify them, and neither of them have failed a single test they have been put through.

Newton's laws of Motion, of which "F=MA" is one, are some of the most well-established scientific theories.

If you can actually falsify any of them, then there is a Nobel prize waiting for you.

"evolution is the probably actually the most refuted theory in science and is far from established"

Blatantly false. Evolution is actually one of the most well-established theories in modern science.

Not only has it been observed, it has also passed every single test it has been put to, to date. And this despite religious people having been trying to falsify it, pretty much since the day Darwin published it(if not before).

-----

"Again, do this for me first, tell me how, when, and where the Static State Theory of the Universe was a tested theory that had undergo the rigors of the scientific process and became the accepted law/theory in the scientific community? Assume I could be talking about either theory."

Well, the last one was when Fred Hoyle and a few other scientists(I forget their names) took the idea of a Static/Steady State universe up again in the late 1940's(that's the "when"), this was, if I remember correctly, in Cambridge(that's the "where"). They way it was tested, like most other similar theories, was for predictions about the cosmos to be made, based on the theory. Then, they observed the facts, to find out if the predictions of the theory were true(which they were). I believe that was a relatively simple explanation of the "how".

It wasn't completely refuted until the discovery of Microwave background radiation, in the mid-60's. The Microwave background radiation had already been predicted by the big bang theory though.

Evolution related response 1:

Cosmos Episode 2: "Mindless Evolution" Has All the Answers -- If You Don't Think About It Too Deeply

Casey Luskin March 17, 2014 2:22 AM

With more eye-popping CGI and new splendid scenes of Neil deGrasse Tyson touring the solar system in his high-tech spaceship, Cosmos Episode 2 weighed in Sunday night on some of life's most profound questions. Toward the end of the episode, Tyson honestly admits, "Nobody knows how life got started," and even says, "We're not afraid to admit what we don't know," since "the only shame is to pretend we know all the answers." By this late stage of the episode, however, that came off as a nervously inserted qualification since the rest of the episode had so vigorously argued that what Tyson calls the "transforming power" of "mindless evolution" indeed has all the answers to how life evolved on Earth. Except, that is, for a few cases where evolution was guided by human breeders, through "artificial selection."

Cosmos Episode 2 structures its argument much as Charles Darwin did in the Origin of Species. The opening scenes discuss how human breeders artificially selected many different dog breeds from wolf-like ancestors, including many popular breeds that "were created in only the last few centuries." The argument is simple -- and it's the same one Darwin made: "If artificial selection can work such profound changes in only 10 to 15 thousand years, what can natural selection do operating over billions of years?" The answer, I recall Tyson saying, is most "anything." Just as he did in Episode 1, Tyson has overstated his case. The great evolutionary biologist Ernst Mayr explains precisely why Tyson is wrong:

Some enthusiasts have claimed that natural selection can do anything. This is not true. Even though "natural selection is daily and hourly scrutinizing, throughout the world, every variation even the slightest," as Darwin (1859:84) has stated, it is nevertheless evident that there are definite limits to the effectiveness of selection.1

Aside from the fact that artificial selection involves intelligent agents rather than unguided processes, Mayr makes one of the most important points in the context of artificial selection of dogs, for human breeders consistently hit limits in just how far they can breed dogs. The textbook Explore Evolution: The Arguments For and Against Neo-Darwinism explains:

Intense programs of breeding (and inbreeding) frequently increase the organism's susceptibility to disease, and often concentrate defective traits. Breeders working with English bulldogs have strived to produce dogs with large heads. They have succeeded. These bulldogs now have such enormous heads that puppies sometimes have to be delivered by Cesarean section. Newfoundlands and Great Danes are both bred for large size. They now have bodies too large for their hearts and can suddenly drop dead from cardiac arrest. Many Great Danes develop bone cancer, as well. Breeders have tried to maximize the sloping appearance of a German Shepherd's hind legs. As a result, many German Shepherds develop hip dysplasia, a crippling condition that makes it hard for them to walk. When breeders try to force a species beyond its limits, they often create more defects than desirable traits. These defects impose limits on the amount of change that breeders can ultimately produce.

Darwin's theory states that the unguided force of natural selection is supposed to be able to do what the intelligent breeder can do. But even a process of careful, intentional selection encounters limits that neither time nor the efforts of human breeders can overcome. Consequently, critics argue that by the logic of Darwin's own analogy, the power of natural selection is also limited.

Darwin's theory requires that species exhibit a tremendous elasticity -- or capacity to change. Critics point out that this is not what the evidence from breeding experiments shows.2

These aren't just talking points from Darwin-critics. The same is heard from leading evolutionary biologists who say inconvenient things that Cosmos was content to ignore:

The following are three major areas of misconception among the Neo-Darwinists... Artificial selection on quantitative traits was taken as a model of the evolutionary process. It was easily shown, in agriculture or in the laboratory, that populations of most organisms contain sufficient additive genetic variance to obtain a response to selection on quantitative traits, such as measures of body size or increased yield of agriculturally valuable products such as milk in dairy cattle or grain size in food plants. Generalizing from this experience, it was assumed that natural populations are endowed with essentially unlimited additive genetic variance, implying that any sort of selection imposed by environmental changes will encounter abundant genetic variation on which to act. Moreover, this model was extended to evolutionary time as well as ecological time. This way of thinking ignored the substantial evidence from selection experiments that the response to selection on any trait essentially comes to a halt after a number of generations as the genetic variance for the trait in question is depleted; thereafter, further progress depends on the introduction of new variants either through outcrossing or new mutations (Falconer, 1981).3

Ernst Mayr concurs, citing "[t]he limited potential of the genotype" which shows "severe limits to further evolution":

The existing genetic organization of an animal or plant sets severe limits to its further evolution. As Weismann expressed it, no bird can ever evolve into a mammal, nor a beetle into a butterfly. Amphibians have been unable to develop a lineage that is successful in salt water. We marvel at the fact that mammals have been able to develop flight (bats) and aquatic adaptation (whales and seals), but there are many other ecological niches that mammals have been unable to occupy. There are, for instance, severe limits on size, and no amount of selection has allowed mammals to become smaller than a pygmy shrew and the bumblebee bat, or allow flying birds to grow beyond a limiting weight.4

We cannot simply assert that evolution can do just "anything" we want it to -- there are both genetic and physiological limits to how far breeders can change organisms. If we are to take artificial selection as an analogy for what can happen in the real world, shouldn't this suggest there are also limits to evolution? I'm sure Tyson would reply that we can overcome genetic barriers to further evolution through mutations, which provide new raw materials for evolution to act upon. According to Tyson, mutations are a "random event," which accomplish changes like transforming a bear's fur color from brown to white, giving it a camouflage advantage in a snowy environment. "No breeder gathered these changes," he tells us, since, "the environment itself selects them." Fair enough. While we might disagree with Tyson that natural selection is "the most revolutionary concept in the history of science," no ID proponent denies that natural selection is an important idea that can explain many things. Changing the color of a bear's coat from brown to white is probably one of them. The difference between ID proponents and evolutionists like Tyson is that ID proponents acknowledge that natural selection is a real force in nature, but we don't just unconditionally grant it the power to do "anything." Instead, we test forces like natural selection, and find that there are limits to the amount of change it can effect in populations. For example, after saying the "tree of life" (more on that shortly) is "three and a half billion years old," Tyson asserts that this provides "plenty of time" for the evolution of life's vast complexity. We've heard that "plenty of time" claim before -- in fact I recently rebutted that precise phrase and argument when Ken Miller made it in his textbook. Tyson's main argument that selection and mutation can evolve anything focuses on the evolution of the eye. Here, he attacks intelligent design by name, noting that some have argued that life "must be the work of an intelligent designer" that "created each of these species separately." I've never heard of an ID proponent who requires that every single species was created separately, so that's a straw man. Tyson calls the human eye a "masterpiece" of complexity, and claims it "poses no challenge to evolution by natural selection." But do we really know this is true? Darwinian evolution tends to work fine when one small change or mutation provides a selective advantage, or as Darwin put it, when an organ can evolve via "numerous, successive, slight modifications." If a structure cannot evolve via "numerous, successive, slight modifications," Darwin said, his theory "would absolutely break down." Jerry Coyne essentially concurs: "It is indeed true that natural selection cannot build any feature in which intermediate steps do not confer a net benefit on the organism."5 So are there structures that would require multiple steps to provide an advantage, where intermediate steps might not confer a net benefit on the organism? If you listen to Tyson's argument carefully, I think he let slip that there are.

In his account of the evolution of the eye, Tyson says that "a microscopic copying error" gave a protein the ability to be sensitive to light. He doesn't explain how that happened. Indeed, Sean B. Carroll cautions us to "not be fooled" by the "simple construction and appearance" if supposedly simple light-sensitive eyes, since they "are built with and use many of the ingredients used in fancier eyes."6 Tyson doesn't worry about explaining how any of those complex ingredients arose at the biochemical level. What's more interesting is what Tyson says next: "Another mutation caused it [a bacterium with the light-sensitive protein] to flee intense light."

This raises an interesting question: It's nice to have a light-sensitive protein, but unless the sensitivity to light is linked to some behavioral response, then how would the sensitivity provide any advantage? Only once a behavioral response also evolved -- say, to turn towards or away from the light -- can the light-sensitive protein provide an advantage. So if a light-sensitive protein evolved, why did it persist until the behavioral response evolved as well? There's no good answer to that question, because vision is fundamentally a multi-component, and thus a multi-mutation, feature. Multiple components -- both visual apparatus and the encoded behavioral response -- are necessary for vision to provide an advantage. It's likely that these components would require many mutations. Thus, we have a trait where an intermediate stage -- say, a light-sensitive protein all by itself -- would not confer a net advantage on the organism. This is where Darwinian evolution tends to get stuck.

Indeed, ID research is finding that there are many traits that require many mutations before providing an advantage. For starters, protein scientist Douglas Axe has published mutational sensitivity tests on enzymes in the Journal of Molecular Biology 2 and found that functional protein sequences may be as rare as 1 in 1077.7 That extreme rarity makes it highly unlikely that chance mutations alone could find the rare amino acid sequences that yield functional proteins:

According to Axe's research, most enzymes sit at Point A, high atop their fitness landscape, and many amino acids must be present all at once to get high enzyme functionality. This suggests that many mutations must be present in order to find the right sequences that yield stable protein folds, and thus functional enzymes. I'm sure producers of Cosmos would reply that the "billions and billions" and of years of evolution provide "plenty of time" even for such unlikely events. In 2010, Axe investigated this question, and published evidence indicating that even when he grants generous assumptions favoring a Darwinian process, molecular adaptations requiring more than six mutations before yielding any advantage would be extremely unlikely to arise in the 4.5 billion year history of the Earth.8 The following year, Axe published research with developmental biologist Ann Gauger describing the results of their experiments seeking to convert one bacterial enzyme into another closely related enzyme -- one in the same gene family! That is the kind of conversion that evolutionists claim can easily happen. For this case they found that the conversion would require a minimum of at least seven simultaneous changes9, exceeding the six-mutation-limit that Axe had previously established as a boundary of what Darwinian evolution is likely to accomplish in bacteria. Because this conversion is thought to be relatively simple, it suggests that converting one similar type of protein into another by "mindless evolution" might be highly unlikely. In other experiments led by Gauger and biologist Ralph Seelke of the University of Wisconsin, Superior, their research team broke a gene in the bacterium E. coli required for synthesizing the amino acid tryptophan. When the bacteria's genome was broken in just one place, random mutations were capable of "fixing" the gene. But even when only two mutations were required to restore function, Darwinian evolution got stuck, apparently unable to restore full function.10 Again, "mindless evolution" couldn't overcome the need to produce multi-mutation features -- those that require multiple mutations before providing an advantage.

Theoretical research into population genetics corroborates these empirical findings. Michael Behe and David Snoke have performed computer simulations and theoretical calculations showing that the Darwinian evolution of a functional bond between two proteins would be highly unlikely to occur in populations of multicellular organisms under reasonable evolutionary timescales when it required multiple mutations before functioning. They published research in Protein Science that found:

The fact that very large population sizes -- 109 or greater -- are required to build even a minimal MR feature requiring two nucleotide alterations within 108 generations by the processes described in our model, and that enormous population sizes are required for more complex features or shorter times, seems to indicate that the mechanism of gene duplication and point mutation alone would be ineffective, at least for multicellular diploid species, because few multicellular species reach the required population sizes.11

In other words, in multicellular species, Darwinian evolution would be unlikely to produce features requiring more than just two mutations before providing any advantage on any reasonable timescale or population size.

In 2008, Behe's critics sought to refute him in the journal Genetics with a paper titled "Waiting for Two Mutations: With Applications to Regulatory Sequence Evolution and the Limits of Darwinian Evolution." But Durrett and Schmidt found that to obtain only two specific mutations via Darwinian evolution "for humans with a much smaller effective population size, this type of change would take > 100 million years." The critics admitted this was "very unlikely to occur on a reasonable timescale."12

What does this all mean? For one thing, it means Cosmos is wrong to assert we know that there is "plenty of time" for the "mindless evolution" of complex structures to take place. Both theoretical and empirical research suggest there are very good reasons why producing many of the new proteins and enzymes entailed by eye-evolution, and probably many other evolutionary pathways, would require the generation of multi-mutation features that could not arise via "mindless evolution" in the 3.5 billion year history of life on Earth. For another, it means Cosmos is pretending to have all the answers about how life evolved, when in fact it doesn't.

Evolutionary Apologetics and the Tree of Life

The second episode of Cosmos showcased quite a lot of evolutionary apologetics. What do I mean by that? I mean attempts to persuade people of both evolutionary scientific views and larger materialistic evolutionary beliefs, not just by the force of the evidence, but by rhetoric and emotion, and especially by leaving out important contrary arguments and evidence. This episode focused its evolutionary apologetics on the tree of life.

Tyson states that we have an "understandable human need" to think that we're special, and thus "a central premise of traditional belief is that we were created separately from the other animals." If you believe that, then you should know that it's Neil deGrasse Tyson's intention to talk you out of that "traditional belief," and he's going to use beautiful animation to do it, while ignoring explanations like "common design" and otherwise misstating the evidence.

This episode shows a beautifully animated "tree of life," saying "science reveals that all life on earth is one," and that "accepting our kinship with other animals" is "solid science." But it's not enough for Tyson if you just accept those evolutionary scientific views. The main message here is that humans aren't special, since we are just "one tiny branch among countless millions." In case you think there's room for reasonable intellectual doubt, Tyson compares evolution to gravity, casting evolution as an undeniable "scientific fact." Perhaps common ancestry is a fact. But what is Tyson's evidence for it? It's this: similarities in DNA sequences. The episode portrays similar DNA sequences between humans and other species -- butterflies, wolves, mushrooms, sharks, birds, trees, and even one-celled organisms -- and says that because "we and other species are almost identical" in some core metabolic genes, "the DNA doesn't lie" and we are "long-lost cousins" with all these other organisms. With evolutionary apologetics in full force, Tyson even says this realization offers a "spiritual experience" -- a nice bit of "woo," included presumably to help appeal to the masses. Spiritual or not, is it true that there's a grand "tree of life" showing how we're related to all other organisms? A 2009 article in New Scientist concluded that the tree of life "lies in tatters, torn to pieces by an onslaught of negative evidence."13 Why? Because one gene yields one version of the tree of life, while another gene gives another sharply conflicting version of the tree. The article explained what's going on in this field:

For a long time the holy grail was to build a tree of life," says Eric Bapteste, an evolutionary biologist at the Pierre and Marie Curie University in Paris, France. A few years ago it looked as though the grail was within reach. But today the project lies in tatters, torn to pieces by an onslaught of negative evidence. Many biologists now argue that the tree concept is obsolete and needs to be discarded. "We have no evidence at all that the tree of life is a reality," says Bapteste. That bombshell has even persuaded some that our fundamental view of biology needs to change."

According to the article:

The problems began in the early 1990s when it became possible to sequence actual bacterial and archaeal genes rather than just RNA. Everybody expected these DNA sequences to confirm the RNA tree, and sometimes they did but, crucially, sometimes they did not. RNA, for example, might suggest that species A was more closely related to species B than species C, but a tree made from DNA would suggest the reverse.

The problem is rampant in systematics today. An article in Nature reported that "disparities between molecular and morphological trees" lead to "evolution wars" because "[e]volutionary trees constructed by studying biological molecules often don't resemble those drawn up from morphology."14 Another Nature paper reported that newly discovered genes "are tearing apart traditional ideas about the animal family tree" since they "give a totally different tree from what everyone else wants."15 So severe are the problems that a 2013 paper in Trends in Genetics reported "the more we learn about genomes the less tree-like we find their evolutionary history to be,"16 and a 2012 paper in Annual Review of Genetics proposed "life might indeed have multiple origins."17

Don't expect Neil deGrasse Tyson and Cosmos to disclose to viewers that there are problems with reconstructing a grand "tree of life." They need to maintain the pretense that "mindless evolution" provides all the answers -- complete with a "spiritual experience" -- even while disclaiming the fact that they're making such a brash claim.

If not by "mindless evolution" and common ancestry, how can we explain the fact that genes in different organisms are so similar? Though Neil deGrasse Tyson never mentions it, a fully viable explanation or these functional genetic similarities is common design.

Intelligent agents often re-use functional components in different designs, which means common design is an equally good explanation for the very data -- similar functional genes across different species -- that Tyson cites in favor of common ancestry. As Paul Nelson and Jonathan Wells explain:

An intelligent cause may reuse or redeploy the same module in different systems, without there necessarily being any material or physical connection between those systems. Even more simply, intelligent causes can generate identical patterns independently.18

Likewise, in their book Intelligent Design Uncensored, William Dembski and Jonathan Witt explain:

According to this argument, the Darwinian principle of common ancestry predicts such common features, vindicating the theory of evolution. One problem with this line of argument is that people recognized common features long before Darwin, and they attributed them to common design. Just as we find certain features cropping up again and again in the realm of human technology (e.g., wheels and axles on wagons, buggies and cars) so too we can expect an intelligent designer to reuse good design ideas in a variety of situations where they work.19

Thus, common design is a possible explanation for why two taxa can have highly similar functional genetic sequences. After all, designers regularly re-use parts, programs, or components that work in different designs. As another example, engineers use wheels on both cars and airplanes, or technology designers put keyboards on both computers and cell-phones. Or software designers re-use subroutines in different software programs.

But common designers aren't always obligated to design their designs according to a nested hierarchy. So when we find re-use of functional components in a pattern that doesn't match a nested hierarchy, we might look to common design. But wait -- that's exactly what we have here: similar genes being re-used in different organisms, but in a pattern that doesn't match the "tree-like" distribution predicted by Darwinian theory! Unfortunately, Neil deGrasse Tyson doesn't inform his viewers of any of this.

Don't Worry: The Evidence for Design Speaks for Itself

In this second episode of Cosmos, Neil deGrasse Tyson and his co-creators hoped to convince viewers that intelligent design is wrong, but discussing by simply the complexity of biology, they couldn't help but expose people to the evidence for design in nature. When Cosmos Episode 2 showed brilliant animations of walking kinesin motors, and discussed the fact that DNA is a "molecular machine" that is "written in a language that all life can read," it unwittingly showed that intelligent design is a viable explanation. After all, what is the sole known cause that produces languages and machines? That one singular cause is, of course, intelligence. Even when you try to disregard the evidence for design in nature, it nevertheless speaks for itself.

References Cited:

(1) Ernst Mayr, What Evolution Is, pg. 140 (Basic Books, 2001).

(2) Stephen C. Meyer, Scott Minnich, Jonathan Moneymaker, Paul A. Nelson, and Ralph Seelke, Explore Evolution: The Arguments For and Against Neo-Darwinism, p. 91 (Hill House, 2007).

(3) Austin L. Hughes, "Looking for Darwin in all the wrong places: the misguided quest for positive selection at the nucleotide sequence level," Heredity, 99: 364-373 (2007).)

(4) Ernst Mayr, What Evolution Is, p. 140 (Basic Books, 2001). (5) Jerry Coyne, "The Great Mutator," The New Republic (June 14, 2007). (6) Sean B. Carroll, The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution, p. 197 (W.W. Norton, 2006). (7) Douglas Axe, "Estimating the Prevalence of Protein Sequences Adopting Functional Enzyme Folds," Journal of Molecular Biology, 341 (2004): 1295-1315; Douglas Axe, "Extreme Functional Sensitivity to Conservative Amino Acid Changes on Enzyme Exteriors," Journal of Molecular Biology, 301 (2000): 585-595. (8) Douglas Axe, "The Limits of Complex Adaptation: An Analysis Based on a Simple Model of Structured Bacterial Populations," BIO-Complexity, 2010(4):1-10. (9) Ann Gauger and Douglas Axe, "The Evolutionary Accessibility of New Enzyme Functions: A Case Study from the Biotin Pathway," BIO-Complexity, 2011 (1): 1-17. (10) Ann Gauger, Stephanie Ebnet, Pamela F. Fahey, and Ralph Seelke, "Reductive Evolution Can Prevent Populations from Taking Simple Adaptive Paths to High Fitness," BIO-Complexity, 2010 (2): 1-9. (11) Michael Behe and David Snoke, "Simulating Evolution by Gene Duplication of Protein Features that Require Multiple Amino Acid Residues," Protein Science, 13 (2004): 2651-2664. (12) Rick Durrett and Deena Schmidt, "Waiting for Two Mutations: With Applications to Regulatory Sequence Evolution and the Limits of Darwinian Evolution," Genetics, 180 (November 2008): 1501-1509. (13) Graham Lawton, "Why Darwin was wrong about the tree of life," New Scientist (January 21, 2009).

(14) Trisha Gura, "Bones, Molecules or Both?," Nature, 406 (July 20, 2000): 230-233. (15) Elie Dolgin, "Rewriting Evolution," Nature, 486 (June 28, 2012): 460-462. (16) Bapteste et al., "Networks: expanding evolutionary thinking," Trends in Genetics, 29 (2013): 439-41. (17) Michael Syvanen, "Evolutionary Implications of Horizontal Gene Transfer," Annual Review of Genetics, 46 (2012): 339-56. (18) Paul Nelson and Jonathan Wells, "Homology in Biology," in Darwinism, Design, and Public Education, p. 316 (Michigan State University Press, 2003). (19) William Dembski and Jonathan Witt, Intelligent Design Uncensored: An Easy-to-Understand Guide to the Controversy, p. 85 (InterVarsity Press, 2010).

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By kcomicfan

@dshipp17: how long did it take you to write that?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: how long did it take you to write that?

This is an updated science article that I'm citing to address the most recent information said about evolution with some rebuttals.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@sirmethos said:

Cosmos Episode 2: "Mindless Evolution" Has All the Answers -- If You Don't Think About It Too Deeply

Seriously, I'm not going to read all that stuff.

All this Creationist drivel is easy to refute, but it gets pointless and tiresome after a while having to do so over and over again. You obviously dont want to listen to reason. Evolution is a fact. Science agrees, biology agrees, and almost every biologist on the planet for more than 100 years agrees. You have to be extremely ignorant and dense to think that the evidence for Evolution is not solid... not to mention extremely arrogant to think that you have some special knowledge or insight that hundreds of thousands of the smartest people on the planet, who make it their life's work to study such things, dont. And, where does this knowledge and insight come from? Oh, right... a thousands year old bunch of stories. Yeah, sounds legit.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By pooty

The Bible is NOT God's Word.... but at least this part is true:

Proverbs 29:9

If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#369  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@kcomicfan: He never typed it out. He just copied/pasted that drivel from somewhere else.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By swordmasterD
Avatar image for superlightning123
Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

k. just making sure you aint rustled

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mrdecepticonleader: there may be heat discussion. but there is insults being thrown around and this is going to get severely out of hand and people are going to get even more offended. so it needs to be locked now before that happens.

There is? I have not really bothered to read through most of this thread. Since alot of the debate is sort of pointless since the OP posted a biased and ill informed article on the matter.

Maybe he is happy with how this thread has turned out in that regard. It is probably something like what he was aiming for.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By dshipp17

@willpayton said:

@dshipp17 said:

@sirmethos said:

Seriously, I'm not going to read all that stuff.

All this Creationist drivel is easy to refute, but it gets pointless and tiresome after a while having to do so over and over again. You obviously dont want to listen to reason. Evolution is a fact. Science agrees, biology agrees, and almost every biologist on the planet for more than 100 years agrees. You have to be extremely ignorant and dense to think that the evidence for Evolution is not solid... not to mention extremely arrogant to think that you have some special knowledge or insight that hundreds of thousands of the smartest people on the planet, who make it their life's work to study such things, dont. And, where does this knowledge and insight come from? Oh, right... a thousands year old bunch of stories. Yeah, sounds legit.

You don't know how not smart you made yourself look in skipping through everything said in the article; but really, this is a lot of presumptuous drivel for real. You make a blanket and uninformed pronunciation; these are molecular biologists rebutting misinformation that was being passed along as fact in a documentary; it is not me myself disagreeing, but molecular biologists who study the material for a living; I'm just pointing out an observation to support an observation. If you're not going to read it, actually, the burden is on you to refute it; no one has refuted it, yet along easily refuted it; references in the molecular biology journal? If it's so easily refuted, surely you can do it point by point, but you're too scared to read it because you know what you're saying is nonsense; just because you want it to be a pass, that doesn't make it so. Clearly, you're the ignorant, arrogant, dense one, but in a self inflicted sense. I'll give you this though, you sure are sold to your uninformed indoctrination.

Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just find this request completely out of place and disrespectful. The soldiers were likely Christian, along with their families. This is akin to wanting to place a Cross on an Atheist's grave.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just find this request completely out of place and disrespectful. The soldiers were likely Christian, along with their families. This is akin to wanting to place a Cross on an Atheist's grave.

Why is the cross there in the first place? Why not place a flag? Or a giant medal? Or a statue. They were government soldiers. Not religious soldiers. Religion and war(which includes killing civilians and children) should be separate. Christians are supposed to be followers of Christ. IMO, I can't see Jesus shooting people. Since the cross is at a WAR memorial, i think it is disrespecting what Jesus stood for. That said, it is an unnecessary request.

Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: the cross is likely there to respect the beliefs of the soldiers and their families. Their belief have them the will to keep going through such an ordeal. I doubt it disrespects Jesus. If anything, it's representative of them being in Heaven now just as Jesus was watching over them to make sure they succeeded during battle. This is symbolically speaking, of course.

The "men" (many of them were young) weren't simply government soldiers. They had lives before the war, which also included their religion. The memorial is in honor of them and their efforts.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#378  Edited By ccraft

There's a lot wrong with the government using religious symbols, the government is suppose to stay neutral and not endorse a certain religion. This is why you see Atheist or Humanist groups try to remove religious memorials from public places, and to call these people "extremists" is absurd.

There are ignorant people in every group, that's the one thing Christians and Atheist have in common. Everyone should use science and logic in arguments, not just baseless opinions.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/humanists-suing-tear-cross-shaped-world-war-memorial-article-1.1707263

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: the cross is likely there to respect the beliefs of the soldiers and their families. Their belief have them the will to keep going through such an ordeal. I doubt it disrespects Jesus. If anything, it's representative of them being in Heaven now just as Jesus was watching over them to make sure they succeeded during battle. This is symbolically speaking, of course.

The "men" (many of them were young) weren't simply government soldiers. They had lives before the war, which also included their religion. The memorial is in honor of them and their efforts.

Almost certainly many of those soldiers were not Christian. But, as far as the ones that were, why would the government be placing giant religious symbols to support their religion, instead of simply putting up a non-religious memorial? They were not "holy warriors" fighting some religious war, and this a secular nation. In fact, one of the founding principles of this secular nation is that it will neither repress nor promote religion. So, putting up giant Christian crosses on public land goes against the principles of our country.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a nice and unbiased statement about the issue.

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Belief does not need a visual display to support it. Those families believe the soldiers are in heaven regardless of whether they put a cross there or a medal. I also don't like the idea of Jesus taking sides in a war. It was NOT a holy war fought in Jesus name. And if those soldiers are dead does that imply that Jesus didn't have their back? That is why government and religion should be separate. The two stand for vastly different things. Let them have the memorial(they deserve it) while keeping religion out of government

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

Belief does not need a visual display to support it. Those families believe the soldiers are in heaven regardless of whether they put a cross there or a medal. I also don't like the idea of Jesus taking sides in a war. It was NOT a holy war fought in Jesus name. And if those soldiers are dead does that imply that Jesus didn't have their back? That is why government and religion should be separate. The two stand for vastly different things. Let them have the memorial(they deserve it) while keeping religion out of government

I think this is the main point, and what the atheist group is trying to accomplish. The Constitution (as was the intent of the Founders who deeply mistrusted organized religion) wisely separates religion and government. All this talk about "angry atheists" frankly sounds like a bunch of children complaining that someone is trying to take away their ball. Today you might be the group that the government religion is supporting, but tomorrow you might be the one it's oppressing. What many (but not all) religious people seem to not understand is that they are the ones who should be first and center trying to keep government out of religion, and religion out of government.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#385  Edited By tg1982

@willpayton: @oblivionknight: @pooty:

Finally, some people who are willing to discuss the actual topic, about the cross. I'd be more than happy to hold an actual debate with any of you. Should you want. I'll even re-post my initial post.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty ok, here ya go.

@tg1982 said:
The Bladenburg Peace Cross, as it is called, that is what the topic is actually about right? People wanting to tear it down? Well here are some facts, courtesy of the Washington Post.

First, the Peace Cross honors men from Prince George's County, Maryland who died during WWI, not all WWI soldiers. Second, at least one of the plaintiffs isn't even from, nor does he reside in, Maryland at all, nor is the group American Humanist Association. He's from Washington. Third, the cross is indeed on government land, however at the time of it's creation, in 1925, it was actually private property. Fourth, The AHA's (American Humanist Association, the group suing) head coordinator says that the cross is a Christian image, one "that does not represent the sacrifices by non-Christian soldiers"Fifth, There is already a precedent set similar to this, "When the Supreme Court decided a similar case in 2010, the justices narrowly rejected a complaint that a white cross in the Mojave Desert, honoring World War I soldiers, violated the First Amendment’s ban on endorsing one religion over any other. The majority said that the cross could be viewed as a more neutral symbol that honors heroes"Sixth, The cross does not have the words "War Memorial" on it.

I think wanting to get rid of the cross is, quite honestly, pointless and dumb. 1) Since it's only a memorial for 49 men, those who died in WWI from Prince George's County, Maryland, the fact that it doesn't represent "All soldiers who died in WWI" is most likely moot. It was made to represent those 49 men. 2) I personally don't think anyone who isn't from a place, nor currently resides in a place, as any right to tell or otherwise dictate how said place should be (obviously, unless it directly affects peoples more important right of life, liberty, and health), but for example if a group from say Florida came to my hometown of Las Vegas and tried to tear down our casinos or whatever, I'd tell them to go kick rocks as would the vast majority of Las Vegans. 3) This is, to me, the best foot the AHA has, technically the cross is on government land, but it wasn't always so, I'm not a law expert by any means so I don't know what, if anything, surrounding a circumstance like this. 4) The point for this is basically the same as No.1. If the 49 soldiers were, in fact all Christian then that would make this moot, IMO. 5) In the 2010 case the cross stayed, so a precedent has been set. 6) The cross doesn't say "War Memorial" on it but other than being a cross it has no religious markings or phrasing on it, the inscription by President Woodrow Wilson reads as thus: “The right is more precious than the peace; we shall fight for the things we have always carried nearest our hearts; to such a task we dedicate ourselves.” At the base of the monument are the words, “Valor, Endurance, Courage, Devotion.” At its heart, the cross bears a great gold star. To me these are words, and ideals that everyone, can relate and aspire to. Regardless of any difference whether they be religious, or atheist, no matter race, gender or sexual preference, in fact literally the only thing that would and could prohibit a person from wanting to aspire to these virtues is themselves.

In closing, to me, there is really no justification for what the AHA, nor the people it is representing, are trying to do, other than just try to get publicity. I don't care if they're Atheist, Jewish, Muslim or Christian, there is no reason for any person or group of people to want to mess with this cross. An argument could be made if the cross was a monument to ALL WWI fallen heroes, but it simply isn't, it's to 49 fallen heroes.

Also here are some links to the Washington Post article, where I got my information as well as the link to the town of Bladenburg and the cross.

Bladensburg Peace Cross is more than a religious symbol

Suit seeks removal of Bladensburg cross

Memorial Peace Cross: Veterans memorial or religious symbol?

Bladenburg Peace Corss

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By pooty

@tg1982: If I may offer my humble rebuttal:

1) We can't be sure the cross represents the religious beliefs of those 49 men. We have no idea what religion they were and I doubt the government bothered to ask.

2) Strongly disagree with this point. Regardless of where you are from in the USA, you have a legal right to try to change things regardless of where you live. Especially if it is going against the Constitution. Separation of Church and State applies to ALL states.

3) I'm no law expert either but as soon as it became government land, IMO, Separation of Church and State comes into play

4) Even if they were all Christian the point is not moot. This isn't about religion but about LAW. The government should not be putting or allowing religious items on it's property. that applies to our money and national anthem and pledge of allegiance. they should all be changed.

5) Rulings are overturned every year. what was allowed in 2010 may not be allowed in 2014.

6) When you see a cross at a grave, what do you think of? Something religious. Period. Those same words could have been put on a plaque, a statue or engraved in a wall. If the memorial wasn't meant to have religious overtones then they would not have used a cross. Separation of Church and State is more important then the words on that cross

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

1) We can't be sure the cross represents the religious beliefs of those 49 men. We have no idea what religion they were and I doubt the government bothered to ask.

2) Strongly disagree with this point. Regardless of where you are from in the USA, you have a legal right to try to change things regardless of where you live. Especially if it is going against the Constitution. Separation of Church and State applies to ALL states.

3) I'm no law expert either but as soon as it became government land, IMO, Separation of Church and State comes into play

4) Even if they were all Christian the point is not moot. This isn't about religion but about LAW. The government should not be putting or allowing religious items on it's property. that applies to our money and national anthem and pledge of allegiance. they should all be changed.

5) Rulings are overturned every year. what was allowed in 2010 may not be allowed in 2014.

6) When you see a cross at a grave, what do you think of? Something religious. Period. Those same words could have been put on a plaque, a statue or engraved in a wall. If the memorial wasn't meant to have religious overtones then they would not have used a cross. Separation of Church and State is more important then the words on that cross

I'll respond to your points in order.

1) We probably could find out actually (the names are on the cross). But for now I'll just say, if the families of the fallen had an issue with the cross they most likely would have said something, Bladenburg, even now, is a very small town, something like this would have gotten the whole town together.

2) I'm going to skip this one, because the original point was my opinion, if however, you want me to respond to it, I'll be more than happy to do so.

3) Again, I'm no law expert so until I find a clear definition, I'll get back to this one then. It seems so far (from what I could find) that "Separation of Church and State" is largely up for interpretation.

4) Money, the Star Spangled Banner and the pledge of allegiance have nothing to do with this.

5) It's still a precedent, one that will no doubt be used, if it gets to that, and the ruling was already overturned to this current one.

6) Are you genuinely asking for what I think or is it a rhetorical question? Again there are no religious markings or phrasing on it. The only reason people (3) seem to be upset is because it's on a giant lower case "t".

I mean what's next getting rid of these because they're in a state park? I mean they are of a spiritual significance, and on government land.

Additional info I found out about today, for what it's worth, the government neither federal nor state, had anything to do with it, it was created by donations from members of the American Legion.

I just think that getting rid of the cross is pointless, it's been up there for 90 years, and now some one is having a problem with it? It just seems that they are doing this to try to get some publicity and for no other reason.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty:

Also, you do bring up some valid points.

I'm sorry if my post is a bad. I'm just too tired from work, lol.

I'll try to clean it up more tomorrow.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

dO.Ob

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By pooty

@tg1982 said:

@pooty said:

I'll respond to your points in order.

1) We probably could find out actually (the names are on the cross). But for now I'll just say, if the families of the fallen had an issue with the cross they most likely would have said something, Bladenburg, even now, is a very small town, something like this would have gotten the whole town together.

2) I'm going to skip this one, because the original point was my opinion, if however, you want me to respond to it, I'll be more than happy to do so.

3) Again, I'm no law expert so until I find a clear definition, I'll get back to this one then. It seems so far (from what I could find) that "Separation of Church and State" is largely up for interpretation.

4) Money, the Star Spangled Banner and the pledge of allegiance have nothing to do with this.

5) It's still a precedent, one that will no doubt be used, if it gets to that, and the ruling was already overturned to this current one.

6) Are you genuinely asking for what I think or is it a rhetorical question? Again there are no religious markings or phrasing on it. The only reason people (3) seem to be upset is because it's on a giant lower case "t".

I mean what's next getting rid of these because they're in a state park? I mean they are of a spiritual significance, and on government land.

Additional info I found out about today, for what it's worth, the government neither federal nor state, had anything to do with it, it was created by donations from members of the American Legion.

I just think that getting rid of the cross is pointless, it's been up there for 90 years, and now some one is having a problem with it? It just seems that they are doing this to try to get some publicity and for no other reason.

I brought up our national anthem, pledge of allegiance, our money because that is the bigger picture IMO. I don't think the atheist want this monument down and that's end of story. I think this is a small step in trying to fully separate church from state. They're trying to get some small victories to lead up to more separation of church and state. If someone is looking at this as an isolated event, then it does seem petty. But there is a bigger picture here. So it's not just for publicity. They are laying ground work to further separate church from state.