Explain Big Bang Theory To Me

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jonEsherfey

The Big Bang Theory is extremely popular and is getting extremely good ratings. Many of things on it are "nerdy" and still many people watch it. I have triedto enjoy this show may times and have not laughed no matter how much I try. I just don't get the sho. Even with the nerdy material I dont find it funny. The show follows cliched sitcom storylines and the laugh track makes the jokes fall so much more flat. I like other shows that are "nerdy" and much funnier for example Community which is original, inventive, and going to be cancelled probably after this years shortened season. I think Community's Abed is way funnier the BBT's Sheldon. Someone please explain this show to me and why it is so popular.

-jonEsherfey

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Watch Supernatural and the old Two and a Half man, they're better.

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jonEsherfey

@The_Lunact_And_Manic: I am like Supernatural a lot. DO you watch Warehouse 13 because that show is awesome.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonEsherfey: I don't Warehouse 13, I'm going to give it a try.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

The laugh track was actually what made me not like it for the first couple years. I eventually gave it another shot and ended up loving it. It is very much what people think of nerds not necessarily how most 'nerds' really are. The scenes whenever a girl goes to a comic book shop piss me off. But over all I like the humor and often see small parts of each character in other people I know.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Walzo

Because the show is making fun OF nerds instead of laughing with nerds. And yeah Community is a much better show

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Matchstick

What's to explain? If you watched it and don't like it, case closed. You can't really explain humor.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

A show about nerds and a hot chick that hangs out with them. The show makes real life nerds butt hurt for some reason.

ghostrider2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ghostrider2

Watch the walking dead, arrow, revolution these are much better than big bang(i don't watch it).

ONE_EYE_HULK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ONE_EYE_HULK

@Walzo said:

Because the show is making fun OF nerds instead of laughing with nerds. And yeah Community is a much better show

SOO TRUE!

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

A show about nerds and a hot chick that hangs out with them. The show makes real life nerds butt hurt for some reason.

I don't hate Big Bang because they are surrounded by one single semi-hot chick. It's just not funny at all.... and even annoying at times.

This is a true story.

Last year I decided it would be great to sit in on one of my friends art classes. We were divided into groups and then asked to make a list of material things we can't live without. One of my "things" that I had said was comic books. As soon as my list got passed around this hipster dude picked up my list and then asked me "Like The Big Bang Theory?"

I angrily took my list from his hands and left.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnightRise

Watch Vampire Diares

The_Roman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Roman

@FalconPuuunch said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I don't hate Big Bang because they are surrounded by one single semi-hot chick. It's just not funny at all.... and even annoying at times.

This is a true story.

Last year I decided it would be great to sit in on one of my friends art classes. We were divided into groups and then asked to make a list of material things we can't live without. One of my "things" that I had said was comic books. As soon as my list got passed around this hipster dude picked up my list and then asked me "Like The Big Bang Theory?"

*Shakes head.* You should have taken your fist and placed it firmly in his face. Like hard enough to ram his hipster status and a year's worth of memories straight out the back of his skull.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By minigunman123

@The_Roman said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

This is a true story.

*Shakes head.* You should have taken your fist and placed it firmly in his face. Like hard enough to ram his hipster status and a year's worth of memories straight out the back of his skull.

.... I don't understand why that's a big deal. All he was doing was asking if you liked a TV show. I doth say, good sir, I think you both need to calm a mite down. What does "this hipster dude" even mean?

Anyway.

I love the show. I just think it's hilarious... I don't really understand why people get so bent out of shape about it. A lot of incredibly intelligent people or geniuses, are actually very quirky, like the show shows them to be, and the show puts them in humorous situations.

@PrinceIMC said:

The laugh track was actually what made me not like it for the first couple years. I eventually gave it another shot and ended up loving it. It is very much what people think of nerds not necessarily how most 'nerds' really are. The scenes whenever a girl goes to a comic book shop piss me off. But over all I like the humor and often see small parts of each character in other people I know.

Why? It's making fun of a stereotype.

Also, I believe the show is filmed in front of an audience, I don't think they have a laugh track (or at least, that's not where all their laughs come from).

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Saturn
The Big Bang Theory is basically a Quality Scientific Theory that explains the Origins of our Universe... which is between 13.5 - 14 billion years old. 
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

Watch a better show.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Project_Worm

@jonEsherfey: Watch Community it has a lot of the same pop culture type comedy, difference being where The Big Bang is basically carried Jim Parsons (Sheldon) the entire cast of Community is incredibly solid.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@The_Roman: I thought about it, I really did, but then I remembered about jail and stuff so I just killed him like 10 times in my mind and called it a day.

@minigunman123: Uhh.. that's great that you like that horrible show, but it's a super bummer to be identified with it simply because I like comic books. I would understand if I wrote a bunch of things that were similar to the show, but the only nerdy thing I listed was BINGO comic books. It's probably hard for you to understand because you like the show, so i'll help you out.

Imagine something you love and have invested a lot of time and money into. Now imagine something you hate and something that annoys you. Now imagine the two being fused together like some bitter-sweet vegetable pie from hell. It's pie so you will love it no matter what... but it's made from brussel sprouts.

That's what that hipster did... he turned my beloved pie into rabbit food.

Do you really not know what a hipster is or are you just trying to teach me some life lesson about stereotyping in sub-text?

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Catsnlynne

I like Supernatural and Arrow.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PrinceIMC

@minigunman123 said:

@PrinceIMC said:

Why? It's making fun of a stereotype.

Also, I believe the show is filmed in front of an audience, I don't think they have a laugh track (or at least, that's not where all their laughs come from).

They aren't making fun of the stereotype they're playing right into it. Every time a female character goes to the comic book shop the guys there are completely distracted by a girl being in a comic book shop. In a recent episode where Penny, Bernadette and Amy all went Stuart had to pretty much threaten to turn a hose on the guys. I've had women say to me they'd be afraid to go into a comic book shop because of the way they see it on BBT. The comic shop I regularly go to has probably %40 female customers and over the years it's probably been %50 female staff.

Actually because of the size of their sets, the number of them and the amount of times they switch between them the Big Bang Theory does not have a studio audience. Their laugh track has improved over the years. In the pilot it was terrible, over the first couple seasons it has been less intrusive and now I almost don't notice anymore....but there are times where I still do.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By minigunman123

@FalconPuuunch said:

@The_Roman: I thought about it, I really did, but then I remembered about jail and stuff so I just killed him like 10 times in my mind and called it a day.

@minigunman123: Uhh.. that's great that you like that horrible show, but it's a super bummer to be identified with it simply because I like comic books. I would understand if I wrote a bunch of things that were similar to the show, but the only nerdy thing I listed was BINGO comic books. It's probably hard for you to understand because you like the show, so i'll help you out.

Imagine something you love and have invested a lot of time and money into. Now imagine something you hate and something that annoys you. Now imagine the two being fused together like some bitter-sweet vegetable pie from hell. It's pie so you will love it no matter what... but it's made from brussel sprouts.

That's what that hipster did... he turned my beloved pie into rabbit food.

Do you really not know what a hipster is or are you just trying to teach me some life lesson about stereotyping in sub-text?

I know what a hipster is, I'm simply curious how you came to the conclusion he was one.

Also, I'm sorry you hate the show, but it really sounds like you overreacted to him just because you don't like the show... Comic Books are a big part of the show, so it's normal that some people associate comic books and the Big Bang Theory together.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Loki9876

It's meh really and I allways see in the show that they don't know sh@t about comics but they try to create the illusion they do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

It seems like everyone here hates the show but the rest of my family loves it... I don't know how to feel about it.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Loki9876

@Xwraith: I don't really hate it, it's just meh.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrinceIMC

@Loki9876 said:

It's meh really and I allways see in the show that they don't know sh@t about comics but they try to create the illusion they do.

That just means the guy they pay to check the comic book facts in the script isn't as good as the guy they have checking the science facts.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Loki9876

@PrinceIMC: probably

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

There's nothing to "get." If the humor doesn't connect with you, then it doesn't connect with you. Nothing wrong with that.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ssejllenrad

You want a comedy with nerds? Watch The IT Crowd. Waaaaaay better.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I've seen a lot of sitcoms in my life, and I have to say BBT is one of the worse /popular/ ones I've ever seen, the jokes are stale and corny, the cast themselves are annoying, and the very premise of making fun of nerd stereotypes by creating more nerd stereotypes is as lame as can be. 

@FalconPuuunch said: 

This is a true story.

I have a similar story. In high school I was a part of the Chess Club (I didn't play Chess, I just showed up to play Yu Gi Oh, the real game of champions) anyway, my friends would talk about comics and stuff while we were there, and every so often, a person would wander in, curious about our club. One day, we were talking about comics and a guy was all like "OH, you like this stuff, like Sheldon Cooper!'' 

NO! Not all comic fans are like Sheldon F&#king Cooper!
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

And as some others have said, watch Community, it needs the support guys!! 

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jonEsherfey

@The Stegman: Great show but probably cancelled this shortened season. Need many viewers to try to keep it alive. Maybe we could do a Jericho type thing where they sent stuff and the show was back

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By deadpoolrules

You want laughs?

Watch South Park,Family Guy and the old Two and a Half Men,those are the best.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@King Saturn said:

The Big Bang Theory is basically a Quality Scientific Theory that explains the Origins of our Universe... which is between 13.5 - 14 billion years old.

+1

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By John Valentine

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

.... Two and a Half man, they're better.

Ha.

But, seriously, Big Bang Theory is mediocre. I'll watch it if nothing's on, but truth be told, it's not great.