Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Okay, unless this has a guy as the main character, I'm not watching it. Ash Williams was a BAD ASS and is one of the VERY few, if any, male horror heroes. Who was the hero of the Aliens series? Ellen Ripley. Halloween? Laurie Strode. Nightmare on Elm Street? Nancy Thompson. Female protagonists are a real cliche at this point. Evil Dead/Army of Darkness is one of the VERY few series that DOESN'T have a female lead. Don't get me wrong, I know women are just as capable of being strong leads sometimes even more so than a man, but it's basically tradition and makes Evil Dead unique. Bruce campbell and Sam Raime specifically said they dont want an Ash character in the remake, but it doesn't mean they can't keep with the male survivor tradition

Also please enjoy a video a friend of mine did a while back for The King himself

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

From what I see, it appears to me that the lead is a dude. The guy with the dark hair resembles a young Bruce Campbell. He is also shown with a bloody face + a chainsaw and is also shown looking beyond the broken/flooded bridge (like Ash did with his sister in Evil Dead 1). I am almost 99% sure that the lead is a dude and either way I can't wait to see this.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Gotta say, I'm looking forward to this. If Bruce is groovy with it, then so am I.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

From what I see, it appears to me that the lead is a dude. The guy with the dark hair resembles a young Bruce Campbell. He is also shown with a bloody face and is also shown looking beyond the broken/flooded bridge (like Ash dead with his sister in Evil Dead 1). I am almost 100% that the lead is a dude and I can't wait to see this.

I only brought up that "Male lead" point because I heard a rumor a while back that they were going to have a female version of Ash, chainsaw hand and all. Sorry, but that is taboo for me. Ash Williams is The King for crying out loud!! I'll still watch it, mainly because the Deadites look like they'll be freaking terrifying!!!

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

From what I see, it appears to me that the lead is a dude. The guy with the dark hair resembles a young Bruce Campbell. He is also shown with a bloody face and is also shown looking beyond the broken/flooded bridge (like Ash dead with his sister in Evil Dead 1). I am almost 100% that the lead is a dude and I can't wait to see this.

I only brought up that "Male lead" point because I heard a rumor a while back that they were going to have a female version of Ash, chainsaw hand and all. Sorry, but that is taboo for me. Ash Williams is The King for crying out loud!! I'll still watch it, mainly because the Deadites look like they'll be freaking terrifying!!!

I can see that. "Ashley" Williams is kind of a girl name after all. But even if they do go that route, the male lead in the movie should fill your "Hail to the King baby" needs. He looks pretty kick-ass with that chainsaw. Also I agree, the Deadites look amazing. The tree scene from Evil Dead 1 still makes me cringe... i'm not looking forward to watching that on the big screen. Everything else though looks awesome. LOVE how they incorporated the roaming camera in this movie too.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Inverno

I guess they will go through the "decoy protagonist" route where we focus on this character we think its the hero of the movie, only to get killed off and other main character becomes the hero. They did that with Nightmare at Elm's Street remake where we focused on Kriss instead of Nancy, until she is killed and the focus turn into Nancy. Maybe the chick will get killed half way through the movie and Ash will become the hero. This doesn't bother me very much.

What really bothers me is that the trailer looks so uninteresting and unoriginal, doesn't remind me at all of Evil Dead. It looked no different than any standard horror movie.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

I can see that. "Ashley" Williams is kind of a girl name after all. But even if they do go that route, the male lead in the movie should fill your "Hail to the King baby" needs. He looks pretty kick-ass with that chainsaw. Also I agree, the Deadites look amazing. The tree scene from Evil Dead 1 still makes me cringe... i'm not looking forward to watching that on the big screen. Everything else though looks awesome. LOVE how they incorporated the roaming camera in this movie too.

Yeah I admit it, Ashley J. Williams is one of my personal favorite heroes. I even have him on my "All Time Favorite Heroes" list AND my "All Time Favorite Horror Characters" list I like him so much! I mean outside of his movies he's fought Freddy and Jason, ZOMBIE SUPERHEROES and that is considered canon by BOTH Marvel AND Dynamite Comics, Dracula and the classic Universal Horror monsters, the Re-Animator, the list goes on!!

Yeah, I had problems walking past trees for a few days after watching that the first time.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Bruce Campbell already stated the Ash character won't be in the film, however, it still looks awesome, and I'm down for it.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The Stegman said:

Bruce Campbell already stated the Ash character won't be in the film, however, it still looks awesome, and I'm down for it.

I know that and addressed it in my post. Still doesn't mean they can't keep with the male survivor tradition and have him be the hero of the movie.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Smart_Dork_Dude: I know what you mean, as a matter of fact, when I first watched Evil Dead (and I think Raimi was going for this) I thought Ash would be the first to die, and his sister would be the ''final girl'' but it sure fooled me.
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@CaioTrubat: I think it looks great! Bruce and Sam have confirmed that this is a different group of people that finds the Necronomicon so no Ash. Honestly? I'm fine with the fact there isn't an Ash in this movie because it wouldn't feel right if Bruce Campbell didn't play him. Bruce IS Ash, plain and simple. Do I want a character LIKE Ash in this movie? Yes. Very much so in fact. Evil Dead isn't Evil Dead without the one GUY fighting off monstrous nightmare creatures and that's what this movie needs!! Should the Ash stand in loose a hand? Not really, provided it happens to someone. It just looses the charm with a female lead. I mean the ending is most probably going to be the survivor walking out of the cabin, only to be attacked by an unseen monster and as they turn and scream. HOW MANY TIMES has a horror movie ended with a woman screaming? Guy doing it is fresh and Evil Dead did it best.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The Stegman said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I know what you mean, as a matter of fact, when I first watched Evil Dead (and I think Raimi was going for this) I thought Ash would be the first to die, and his sister would be the ''final girl'' but it sure fooled me.

EXACTLY!! No one suspected it!! Evil Dead in it's initial release was THE most groundbreaking horror movie of it's time!! It took risks and that made it work!! If they DO go with the "Final girl" cliche, then I will have lost all respect for Sam Raimi.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By x_29

It looks mediocre.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Strider1992

I want to see this. I hope Bruce gets at least a cameo if they continue the franchise.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Her name is Mia I believe.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Strider92 said:

I want to see this. I hope Bruce gets at least a cameo if they continue the franchise.

There's a rumor he might be playing the ghost of Professor Knowby

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Strider1992

@Smart_Dork_Dude: This reboot just got a whole lot better! Seeing this makes me want to go watch Evil Dead again lol. Been a while since i've watched it!