#1 Edited by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, haven't made a new topic on here for a month.

Well, I come from a medium sized community and city. Yet, in my entire school district, I am the biggest comic book reader and fan. So lonely :-(. Deciding to save money, I went to borrow several comic books from my local library. As I was leaving, there was a dude (college like) sitting on a chair and his body's direction followed me as I left. Turns out he came all the way to my local library to get a volume of "House of M." Dude was a nice fella and a pretty hardcore X-men fan. I returned the book, which I just borrowed, so he can get it because he was dedicated and seemed really excited to read it.

For the first time ever in my life, I met a person who was truly interested in what I like without me having to indoctrinate them. Left the happy library, too happy to ask him for further information about him. :-(::: Wonder if he has a comic vine account. He probably does. :-(

...So, have you met another comic book reader completely out of the blue and how did it go?

#2 Posted by russellmania77 (15307 posts) - - Show Bio

Never have

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@inlife said:

Wow, haven't made a new topic on here for a month.

Well, I come from a medium sized community and city. Yet, in my entire school district, I am the biggest comic book reader and fan. So lonely :-(. Deciding to save money, I went to borrow several comic books from my local library. As I was leaving, there was a dude (college like) sitting on a chair and his body's direction followed me as I left. Turns out he came all the way to my local library to get a volume of "House of M." Dude was a nice fella and a pretty hardcore X-men fan. I returned the book, which I just borrowed, so he can get it because he was dedicated and seemed really excited to read it.

For the first time ever in my life, I met a person who was truly interested in what I like without me having to indoctrinate them. Left the happy library, too happy to ask him for further information about him. :-(::: Wonder if he has a comic vine account. He probably does. :-(

...So, have you met another comic book reader completely out of the blue and how did it go?

I feel your pain, bro...I only know one other friend who's a comic reader, so it's definitely nice when we meet another one too. The two of us were at a bookstore and my friend couldn't make up his mind on what trade to buy. I suggested Remender's X-Force and we were talking about it when a friendly guy suggested some other good X-Force stuff, and told us that there was a local comic-book store having a sale to get rid of their older books. We only spoke for a while, but it was mad refreshing to speak to someone else about comics for a change.

#4 Edited by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

Unfortunately, there aren't any comic book stores near where I live to my knowledge. There may be comic book places in the city (I live in suburbs) but it is a large distance away and bad crap does occur often. I wish I had a comic book reader as a friend but I am alone. There is a guy that I know. He is actually smart and has many opinions; quite active.......He also strives to be a drug dealer. Dude knows all kinds of that $h!t. But he isn't as dedicated as I and doesn't bother to.

#5 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@inlife said:

@veshark:

Unfortunately, there aren't any comic book stores near where I live to my knowledge. There may be comic book places in the city (I live in suburbs) but it is a large distance away and bad crap does occur often. I wish I had a comic book reader as a friend but I am alone. There is a guy that I know. He is actually smart and has many opinions; quite active.......He also strives to be a drug dealer. Dude knows all kinds of that $h!t. But he isn't as dedicated as I and doesn't bother to.

Yeah, I don't have many LCSs here either. Most of my comics are trades that I get from like Borders and other such bookstores. But yeah, even my friend isn't that big of a comic fan as I, so I can find it a little limiting to talk to him about comics. Which is one of the main reasons why I came onto the Vine, actually.

#6 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

Once upon time, I found the Vine. I think that I was looking for Superman's feats to set expectations for my superman serum. From that moment on, I kept coming back to the site quite regularly. Honestly, I have abandoned every internet community that I have joined except for Comic Vine. This is my third home on the world wide web (First: Google/Second: Yahoo). Sometimes I disappeared for months but I always come back. Last time that I disappeared and came back, some people that I recognized were not here anymore. I guess you could say that is my greatest fear on the web: Losing the people I know on the Vine. Makes me wonder every time I visit this place.

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@inlife said:

@veshark:

Once upon time, I found the Vine. I think that I was looking for Superman's feats to set expectations for my superman serum. From that moment on, I kept coming back to the site quite regularly. Honestly, I have abandoned every internet community that I have joined except for Comic Vine. This is my third home on the world wide web (First: Google/Second: Yahoo). Sometimes I disappeared for months but I always come back. Last time that I disappeared and came back, some people that I recognized were not here anymore. I guess you could say that is my greatest fear on the web: Losing the people I know on the Vine. Makes me wonder every time I visit this place.

I came onto the Vine years ago when I stumbled onto their Venom article. Never joined until this year, but I've been having fun since. But hey, you might lose friends on here, but it's just as easy to gain new ones, huh? Cheers.

#8 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

During a 5 hour plane-ride. It was very, very cool and made time fly. ;)

#9 Edited by Lvenger (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

@inlife: I feel your pain my friend. The Vine is an excellent place to talk comic books but a face to face conversation makes all the difference in finding someone who shares your interests.

#10 Posted by TifaLockhart (14050 posts) - - Show Bio

At work a few times.

#11 Posted by Strider92 (16445 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny this topic should suddenly pop up because this happened to me for the first time ever only about a week ago. Went to a residential school in France for a week and there was a Scottish girl their who was a fan of Sandman and The Walking Dead. Unfortunately I didn't know crap about Sandman (only heard of it never read it) but at least we could talk TWD.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (30592 posts) - - Show Bio

Couple of times.

#13 Posted by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio

Months ago my parents friend came over to watch Sons of Anarchy and he mentioned X-Men: First Class. I usually don't care for my parents friends but went out to see if he knew about comics. So happens he's a big Marvel fan and loaned me the Infinity Gauntlet arc including crossovers that were going on around that time. He has a statue of Silver Surfer in his living room too.

#14 Edited by TDK_1997 (14891 posts) - - Show Bio

Never happened to me.

#15 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda sorta.

Not to sound like an a$$, but there weren't much comic fans in my school. There was the occasional casual reader, but no one that read as much as me.

So to answer, yes I have, even outside of school, but noone who has collected as much as me.

And I apologize if I'm sounding like a pretentious a$$.

#16 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7816 posts) - - Show Bio

I meet people who are fimilar with comics from time to time, but sadly not big enthusiasts.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, several times.

#18 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

The girl I'm dating has a brother who is way into comics, mostly DC, which I didn't find out until I met him through her. So that's cool.

#19 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Not exactly.

#20 Posted by The_Tree (7450 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never met another comic book reader in real life outside of my local comic book store.

#21 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Happened at school. A conversation about the walking dead show lead to the comics and he actually recommended me to my lcs.

#22 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I know your pain as well. Nobody in my school is as enthusiastic reader as I am, they just like the movies and think they know the characters. However, I have actually met someone outside of school but not as avid a reader as I am. So it gets really one sides after a while

#23 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

He recommended Sandman to me.